HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why a 2004 Porsche
Posted by: Crazed ()
Date: October 09, 2013 07:05AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why a 2004 Porsche
Posted by: Marf ()
Date: October 09, 2013 07:42AM

I imagine the Ellisor family will be driving that Porsche in the near future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 07:43AM by Marf.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 09, 2013 07:51AM

Dead passenger was 86 years old. Shame to have come that far and die in some random and stupid auto wreck.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: hah buff stag ()
Date: October 09, 2013 07:59AM

old money sometimes feels guilty and tries to appear less affluent. The best is the multi million modest in appearance homes they build

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 09, 2013 08:19AM

I've met some richer folks who find a car they are really comfortable with and will keep even though they can surely afford a fleet of the latest model.

It's all about ride and comfort with some, it's like keeping an old easy chair.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: All That Matters ... ()
Date: October 09, 2013 01:01PM

That 2004 Porche Cayenne was probably her vehicle for the dirt roads around her property in Middleberg. On weekends, it's the Bentley or the Aston Martin.

Usually, the Mars family is never in the news. They really like to live private lives.

As to the 86 year old passenger in the mini van - yes, a tragedy. But, sadly, she wasn't wearing her seat belt, either.

Posted by: Realitarian ()
Date: October 09, 2013 01:13PM

I'd say a dead Granny is worth $5 - $10 million.

Date: October 09, 2013 01:43PM

Realitarian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd say a dead Granny is worth $5 - $10 million.

This is the Mars family we're talking about. $5 to $10 million to them, is like $5 to $10 in the wallet of a regular person. Go for $25 million, and then settle out of court for $15 million.

Posted by: NOVA.Dude ()
Date: October 09, 2013 02:14PM

Crazed Wrote:
> Why was she driving a 2004 Porsche? Come on
> really.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mars-company-c
> o-owner-was-driver-in-fatal-loudoun-county-acciden
> t/2013/10/08/1f5b12c2-3073-11e3-9ccc-2252bdb14df5_
> story.html?hpid=z5

Wait...what's your beef with her driving a 2004 Porsche? I'm not saying your wrong but, I'd just like to know your opinion of what you think she was "supposed" to be driving?

Posted by: crazed = your avg ffx res ()
Date: October 09, 2013 02:16PM

NOVA.Dude Wrote:
> Crazed Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why was she driving a 2004 Porsche? Come on
> > really.
> >
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > story.html?hpid=z5
>
> Wait...what's your beef with her driving a 2004
> Porsche? I'm not saying your wrong but, I'd just
> like to know your opinion of what you think she
> was "supposed" to be driving?

OMG she has millions, she has to have a 2013 Bugatti. OMG I just got a job making 60k a year, I must go and buy a 535i or e class.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: October 09, 2013 04:05PM

People in her wealth and geographical class probably own 6-10 cars. Each car is garaged and used by members of the family or house staff when needed. Since the cars are usually garaged, and used infrequently (each competition with at least five other cars for mileage), the mileage and use of each of these cars are not similar to conventional use. This 2004 Porsche probably only had 30,000 miles on it, so replacement by a newer model would seem burdensome to this class of people. It is easier to add a new car to the fleet, a car that would be used for a specific purpose, (if you have the room), than go through the trade in process you or I would do.

Posted by: Thucydides ()
Date: October 09, 2013 10:35PM

Wow - reading the ComPost comments and have come to the conclusion that the denizens of Fairfax Underground are far more classy than those who comment on the ComPost.

Posted by: uMCcW ()
Date: October 09, 2013 10:49PM

She probably should have hired a driver.

Posted by: Crazed ()
Date: October 10, 2013 08:51AM

NOVA.Dude Wrote:
> Crazed Wrote:
> -----
> > Why was she driving a 2004 Porsche? Come on
> > really.
> >
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > story.html?hpid=z5
>
> Wait...what's your beef with her driving a 2004
> Porsche? I'm not saying your wrong but, I'd just
> like to know your opinion of what you think she
> was "supposed" to be driving?

A Cadillac. All old rich people drive those.

Posted by: watchingwatchers4nothing ()
Date: October 10, 2013 06:00PM

Realitarian Wrote:
> I'd say a dead Granny is worth $5 - $10 million.

likley worth more than that if Mars

and that's what to worry about. new italian politian in mexican take-over area, and rich people start drop out or go missing, and HP exec mansions start setting on fire just before insured, ...

if i were rich white in loudoun

i'd say it's time to kick out the politians and put in family !

just to be safe. not to steal.

Posted by: NOVA.Dude ()
Date: October 10, 2013 07:55PM

Crazed Wrote:
> NOVA.Dude Wrote:
> -----
> > Crazed Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Why was she driving a 2004 Porsche? Come on
> > > really.
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > story.html?hpid=z5
> >
> > Wait...what's your beef with her driving a 2004
> > Porsche? I'm not saying your wrong but, I'd
> just
> > like to know your opinion of what you think she
> > was "supposed" to be driving?
>
>
> A Cadillac. All old rich people drive those.

Ok well...you DO realize that had she been driving a Cadillac she wouldn't have survived this accident either, right?

Posted by: giddyup ()
Date: October 10, 2013 08:14PM

Very rich people don't feel the need to impress others by conspicuously flaunting their wealth. They have so much money they don't need other people or care what others think. They would rather be anonymous. The secretive Mars family is a perfect example of this. The only person who would think that a 2004 Porsche was inadequate is someone who is desperate to make others think they are important.

Date: October 10, 2013 08:18PM

NOVA.Dude Wrote:
> >
> >
> > A Cadillac. All old rich people drive those.
>
> Ok well...you DO realize that had she been driving
> a Cadillac she wouldn't have survived this
> accident either, right?

For clarity, the lady from the Mars family was driving the Porsche Cayenne. She did not die. There was an elderly lady in the minivan that was involved in the accident with the Porsche, and that lady died. The lady was actually in the back of the minivan and was not wearing a seat belt, according to the article.

Posted by: truetrue ()
Date: October 10, 2013 09:01PM

True true, worth Billions....wtf would she care about a car?

More like yachts and a fleet of private jets....cars are only important to broke ass people who have some status issue to prove to strangers. (stupid huh?)

giddyup Wrote:
> Very rich people don't feel the need to impress
> others by conspicuously flaunting their wealth.
> They have so much money they don't need other
> people or care what others think. They would
> rather be anonymous. The secretive Mars family is
> a perfect example of this. The only person who
> would think that a 2004 Porsche was inadequate is
> someone who is desperate to make others think they
> are important.

Posted by: So telling... ()
Date: October 10, 2013 09:10PM

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

Date: October 10, 2013 09:15PM

If anyone has had a chance to read "The Millionaire Next Door" it is an excellent read. Granted, the book is a bit dated (17 years?) at this time. However, it was really full of a lot of eye-openers and many who you'd suspect that were not rich were the real millionaires. Most of them also bought their vehicles second hand and didn't opt for the newest, latest and greatest.

In this area, wealth is perceived in so many odd ways. Just because someone flashes the cash or the bling, really means little.

The reality is, I'd rather sell my golf course McMansion because it really isn't being used to the full potential. I don't need two extra guest rooms. I don't need 4 bathrooms. It's crazy to work oneself to death just trying to keep up with this crap.

Posted by: Rockhound ()
Date: October 10, 2013 09:21PM

It's weird how this got so much media attention just cause a billionaire heiress was involved. Just another example of how classy our society stays.

The driver who died was 80+ and not wearing a seat belt. Obviously lived a long, lucky-ass, traffic accident dodging life... It was only a matter of time! I heard her family's going to get M&M's for life.

Posted by: this certainly is ()
Date: October 10, 2013 10:02PM

the dumbest post ever. who cares if her cayenne was a decade old. my next door neighbor is a well known and respected heart surgeon, and she also drives a 2004 or 2005 cayenne S. she clearly has enough money to purchase something newer, but to some upper class folk, cars are still just a means of going from point a to point b. i'm sure they bought it new, are happy with it and have seen no reason to replace it at this point.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Posted by: crazed ()
Date: October 11, 2013 06:47AM

the point of the post was not that she was super wealthy and should have been driving a more expensive car. The point is that is alot of car for an elderly driver, no different than a teen driving a car that powerful. Wonder if the acceleration and torque caught her off guard and caused her to cross the traffic lanes.

Posted by: bdi ()
Date: October 11, 2013 03:36PM

if that's true then why mention year

Posted by: PGP Esquire ()
Date: October 13, 2013 03:46PM

This was an unfortunate accident all-around and regardless of wealth for one
of the parties.

It will be settled privately- out of the courts and media. We won't be hearing much (if anything) more about this in the future.

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: October 13, 2013 06:19PM

Any photos of the accident scene?

Posted by: james23 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 08:06AM

benz all the way

Posted by: More info ()
Date: November 03, 2013 05:56PM

Reckless Driving Charge Filed Against Mars Inc Heiress In Fatal Rt. 50 Case
http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/reckless-driving-charge-filled-against-mars-inc-heiress-in-fatal/article_b1633c90-4107-11e3-9109-0019bb2963f4.html

Nearly a month after a allegedly causing a crash that left one woman dead and injured five others, Jacqueline Badger Mars faces a misdomeaner charge of reckless driving in the case.

The case is on the docket for Dec. 5 in Loudoun County District Court.

Mars, 74, of The Plains, is the third generation co-owner of Mars, Inc., the world's largest candy company, founded by her grandfather in 1911. Forbes magazine lists her as the seventh richest woman in the world, with a net worth of $17 billion.

Following the disclosure of the charge filed against her, Mars' spokesman Kent Jarrell released the following statement: "As court proceedings begin, Jacquie’s thoughts and prayers remain with those who have suffered injury and loss. She regrets this tragic accident."

According to the sheriff's office, Friday, Oct. 4, Mars was driving a 2004 Porsche SUV westbound on Rt. 50 near Aldie when her vehicle crossed the double yellow line and hit an eastbound minivan carrying six women from Texas.

Irene C. Ellisor, an 86-year-old woman from Huntsville, TX, died at the scene. The driver of the minivan was airlifted from the scene and treated at Inova Fairfax Hospital. The van's other occupants also were treated for injuries following the Oct. 4 crash.

Mars was taken to Stone Springs Medical Center and later treated and released at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Posted by: esq ()
Date: November 03, 2013 07:44PM

PGP Esquire Wrote:
> It will be settled privately- out of the courts
> and media. We won't be hearing much (if anything)
> more about this in the future.

Absolutely. Mars' attorneys could fight to minimize the settlement, but they won't. An 86 year old is just not "worth" a lot in the eyes of the law, but Mars will quietly pay what it takes to make the injured party go away.

To do otherwise would attract media attention, which the Mars family has always abhorred.

Posted by: Was she drunk? ()
Date: November 03, 2013 07:52PM

Lots of wineries and self-loathing, old money folks around those parts. Makes me wonder if it was that or access to easy prescription meds.

Mars Heiress Pleads Guilty In Fatal Crash, Fined $2,500
Posted by: More Info ()
Date: December 06, 2013 06:58AM

Mars Heiress Pleads Guilty In Fatal Crash, Fined $2,500
http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/mars-pleads-guilty-in-fatal-crash-fined/article_248ca396-5dc8-11e3-b9aa-0019bb2963f4.html

The heiress responsible for the October crash that killed a Texas woman and a baby in utero and left five other injured will serve no jail time—a direct result of requests from the victims’ family members, some of whom made emotional statements in Loudoun District court this morning.

Jacqueline Badger Mars, 74, of The Plains, pleaded guilty to a charge of reckless driving.

Judge Deborah C. Welsh imposed a $2,500 fine and suspended Mars’ driver’s license for six months. Welsh called it a “tragic accident” and noted Mars’ driving record was “best you can possibly have.”

Mars is the third generation co-owner of Mars, Inc., the world’s largest candy company, founded by her grandfather in 1911. Forbes magazine lists her as the seventh richest woman in the world, with a net worth of $17 billion.

According to the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office accident report obtained by Leesburg Today, Mars was driving a 2004 Porsche SUV westbound on Rt. 50 just west of Briar Patch Lane near Aldie around 2:30 p.m. Oct .4 when her vehicle crossed the double yellow line and hit an eastbound minivan carrying six women from Texas. The minivan went into the shoulder and did a complete revolution before coming to a stop.

The accident report lists “fatigued” as Mars’ condition. Under the crash description, the report states, “the operator had fallen asleep and failed to maintain proper control” and that “the operator of vehicle #1 [identified elsewhere in the report as Mars] stated ‘I fell asleep’ while driving…”

The report also shows that both Mars and the driver of the minivan were traveling at the posted speed limit at the time of the crash, but there were “no visible skid mark/tire mark” at the scene. Witnesses to the crash, according to an affidavit associated with search warrants for Mars’ medical records said Mars’ vehicle made no unusual movements and did not attempt to swerve to avoid the accident.

Resulting tests showed no drugs or alcohol in Mars’ system, except for standard medication that would not have caused her to fall asleep. She also suffered from no medical emergency like a stroke. An examination of cell phone records show Mars was not texting nor using a phone at the time of the accident, according to prosecutors.

A passenger in the van, Irene C. Ellisor, an 86-year-old woman from Huntsville, TX, died at the scene. She was not wearing a seatbelt, according to the report.

The 35-year-old driver of the rented Chrysler Town & Country van, identified in the accident report and in court as Ashley Blakeslee was airlifted from the scene and treated at Inova Fairfax Hospital. The van’s other occupants—a 62-year-old woman, a 66-year-old woman, a 55-year-old woman and a 35-year-old woman—also were treated for injuries following crash.

For the first time today, the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office publicly discussed Blakeslee, who was in her third trimester, and her son, Charlie. Reading the proffer of evidence into the record, Deputy Chief Commonwealth’s Attorney Nicole Wittmann said on Oct. 4 Travis Blakeslee, Ashley’s husband, was playing with their other two children in the front yard of the inn where Ashley’s brother was to be married the next day when he heard the crash and “knew that something bad had happened.” The accident occurred less than 600 feet from the inn.

While some of the victims were able to get out of the van, Blakeslee was pinned behind the steering wheel and had to be extracted by emergency personnel. Charlie, the unborn child, had suffered “fatal injuries” as a result of the accident and was delivered by c-section.

Blakeslee sustained injuries that "to this day make it difficult for her to carry on her daily routine of caring for her two young children...she is facing significant and long term rehabilitation and physical therapy."

Wittmann told the court that her survival was “in large part due to the fact that little Charlie had taken the brunt of the blow from the impact for her." Now, the family calls Charlie their hero, Wittmann told the court, and tell the Blakeslees’ other two children that "Charlie protected their mommy and went to heaven so that she could stay with them."

Reading her statement, Sharron Acker, Ashley’s mother, told the court she only got to “hold [Charlie] and say goodbye before I ever had the chance to say hello.” She said she is thankful that he was able to save her daughter, and for the time she spent with Ellisor, a family friend, the night before the accident. She said she “only has forgiveness in my heart” for Mars, and that she spoke to the other women in the van that day, who hold the same sentiments.

“Life happens,” she said. “Some of it is good and we enjoy it; some of it is bad and we endure it.”

Acker and her husband, Arnold, in his own statement read to the court, said they did not want Mars to serve jail time. In his statement, Arnold Acker, who arrived on the scene moments after the accident happened, said he was saddened to hear incarceration was being considered. A reckless driving conviction can result in up to 12 months in jail.

“I do not believe incarceration for Ms. Mars would have result in any added benefit,” he said in his statement, echoing that he had forgiven Mars and wanted "to spend what time I have left here on this Earth enjoying family gatherings, free from further discussion of those tragic events, especially the loss of Charlie."

Arnold Acker said he was relieved to hear that alcohol and drugs were not a factor in the crash and said he was satisfied with the charge that was brought by prosecutors.

According to the Virginia State Code, someone is guilty of reckless driving “irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law…who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person…”

To charge someone with involuntary manslaughter for a car crsh, the Virginia State Code requires that person to have been driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or with conduct “so gross, wanton and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life.” The police report states no drugs or alcohol were involved in the cause of the crash.

Criminal charges for the death of a fetus requires the person to do so “willfully, deliberately, maliciously and with premeditation,” under the Virginia State Code. The state code does allow for a wrongful death suit to be brought against a person or party for fetal death when it is “caused by the wrongful act, neglect, or default of any person, ship, vessel, or corporation.”

Before her sentencing Mars, who was using a walker as a result of injuries she suffered in the accident, addressed the court and expressed her “deep sadness and regret” at causing the accident. She said she had already traveled to Texas to meet with the Blakeslee family this week, and “I have begun to try and express my sorrow, regret and empathy with them.”

“I will always live with the grief and loss caused by this accident,” she said.

There were mentions made by Mars’ attorney Robin Gulick and others about making restitution to the victim, but nothing formal is in process.

“As of now no civil suit has been filed,” Mars’ spokesman Kent Jarrell said. “You can expect that the matter will be handled in the appropriate manner.”

Mars was driving this 2004 Porsche SUV westbound on Rt. 50 just west of Briar Patch Lane near Aldie around 2:30 p.m. Oct .4 when her vehicle crossed the double yellow line and hit an eastbound minivan carrying six women from Texas.
Attachments:
52a0f09f87878_image.jpg
52a0f0a15ec6d_image.jpg

Posted by: dangc ()
Date: December 06, 2013 07:23AM

Wow the follow up is incredibly sad. I wonder how much money the family members are receiving from this..

Re: Mars Heiress Pleads Guilty In Fatal Crash, Fined $2,500
Posted by: Hmmmmmmm ()
Date: December 06, 2013 10:21AM

More Info Wrote:
> The heiress responsible for the October crash that
> killed a Texas woman and a baby in utero and left
> five other injured will serve no jail time—a
> direct result of requests from the victims’
> family members, some of whom made emotional
> statements in Loudoun District court this
> morning.

That seems to indicate some sort of settlement deal.

Posted by: Milton Hershey ()
Date: December 06, 2013 01:08PM

The deceased family will be rolling in M&M's for many years to come.

That old biddie sure did obliterate the incoming vehicle.

I'm sure the Mars piggybank has been busted open to pay off the victim's family.

Ain't no justice like BOUGHT justice in the good ole' USA.

Know this though: M&M's are deadly and will kill you on rural roads.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: December 06, 2013 01:19PM

Crazed Wrote:
> NOVA.Dude Wrote:
> -----
> > Crazed Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Why was she driving a 2004 Porsche? Come on
> > > really.
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > story.html?hpid=z5
> >
> > Wait...what's your beef with her driving a 2004
> > Porsche? I'm not saying your wrong but, I'd
> just
> > like to know your opinion of what you think she
> > was "supposed" to be driving?
>
>
> A Cadillac. All old rich people drive those.

My retired mom is poor as dirt and she drives a 2011 Cadillac CTS. Try again.

Posted by: Justice In Amerikkka ()
Date: December 06, 2013 01:19PM

Why do you have to hire a team of high-priced lawyers, PR spokesmen, and spin doctors if you are innocent?

Because you aren't. Any Joe Blow or Juan Santiago would have been facing 3-5 years for involuntary manslaughter.

The PR hack's words speak volumes (and $$ millions):

“You can expect that the matter will be handled in the appropriate manner.”

MEMO: List of checks to write from Jacqueline "M&M" Mars --

Loudoun County Sheriff Association
Loudoun County Barrister's Leauge
Loudoun County Judiciary Institute
Acker family member #1
Acker family member #2
Acker family member #3
Acker family member #4
Acker family member #5
Acker family member #6
Acker family member #7
Acker family member #81

Posted by: Edward R. Murrow ()
Date: December 06, 2013 01:32PM

"The PR Hack" -- Here is a great parody....

Kent Jarrell
Kent Jarrell, executive director, leads APCO’s Washington, D.C.-based crisis management and litigation communications practice. He advises CEOs, general counsels and boards of directors on the preparation for unfolding material events. He also assisted a drunk-ass millionaire heiress in avoiding prosecution after she drove head-on into a minivan transporting a family of six women and one unborn whom had gathered for a loveley garden wedding ceremony. However, Kent assured that zip-lipped million-dollar IOU's were received by all the living and deceased. What a great guy.

What a winning (Killing) client list he has:

Firestone Tire (200 deaths)
Jacqueline Mars (2 deaths)
Alaska Airlines (117 deaths)
Merck/Vioxx (29 deaths and 117 infant deformities)

Re: Mars Heiress Pleads Guilty In Fatal Crash, Fined $2,500
Posted by: wink wink, nudge nudge ()
Date: December 07, 2013 08:44AM

"Though there is a no civil suit clause, Kent Jarrell, Mars' spokesman, said financial issues would be handled appropriately by insurance and the family."

Mrs. Mars net worth 17 billion? Surely to god she can pony up a hundred million.

If Leroy the Loudoun county plumber had allowed his work van to cross the double yellow line and struck Mrs Mars head on what do you think Leroy's fate would be?

Posted by: ggggg ()
Date: December 07, 2013 09:36AM

From the photos you can see that there is no shoulder to that road and nowhere to go if the other car crosses over the line. This is what makes driving in rural areas more dangerous than driving in urban areas.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.