HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Metro West Development
Posted by: Viennahmownr ()
Date: December 05, 2011 02:58PM

Does anyone know of confirmed plans for grocery stores, retail, etc., in the new Metro West development near the Vienna/Fairfax/GMU metro station? I'm curious what new neighborhood amenities will be available.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metro West Development
Posted by: Nighthawk ()
Date: December 05, 2011 03:27PM

MetroWest development includes retail, but there's no mention of a plan for a grocery store. The type of retail development planned is more like shops and restaurants in the ground level of the high rise apartments.

Something like they've built in Merrifield.

Posted by: Out I-66 soon? ()
Date: December 05, 2011 03:32PM

Extending Metro out past Vienna/Nutley would be a GREAT Idea!. No plans for that now, I understand (?). But go out to Fairfax Corner/Fairoaks/Fairlakes, then on to Centreville and poinst west need to be planned and funded NOW!
I-66 is gridlocked everyday, even when least expected.
J U S T D O I T !!

Posted by: Tysons Engineer ()
Date: December 11, 2011 09:31AM

Metro West is a project which was spurred as a joint venture between the developer and Wal-Mart, in accordance with Wal-Mart's new plans for urban designed retail. These will likely be more urban style grocery with smaller footprints. So due to this it is very unlikely the developer will seek another grocery retailer as it would likely upset Wal-Mart. There is word that a trader joes or whole foods may be coming across rt 7 with the new Spring Hill Station project (there is a 100% chance there will be some grocer in this development as well). Both of these projects just passed rezoning this year so it at a minimum we are likely 3 years out before any occupancy for any of the phases but all good things come with a wait I suppose.

www.thetysonscorner.com

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: December 11, 2011 10:43AM

Is it even feasible to keep extending metro even further outside proper DC? Was metro originally intended to even go out as far as Manassas and Dulles? At what point should light rail be considered?

Posted by: papsmeer ()
Date: December 11, 2011 12:04PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it even feasible to keep extending metro even
> further outside proper DC? Was metro originally
> intended to even go out as far as Manassas and
> Dulles? At what point should light rail be
> considered?

Metro as planned in the late 60s was to go to Centreville, Dulles Airport, Bowie, Annandale, Burke, Ft. Belvoir in addition to the lines that were eventually built. They scaled down those plans a lot in order to get the system approved.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: December 12, 2011 09:31AM

I doubt that. There was nothing in Centreville back in the 60's any development out that way back then would have been very speculative.

Not that your wrong but I poked around the web a little bit and couldn't find any information to support your claims.

Posted by: FFX4Life ()
Date: December 12, 2011 09:43AM

back in the 60's didn't the Beltway planners also think there was no need for more lanes?

Posted by: Info_Update ()
Date: February 06, 2012 07:42PM

Posted by: Jazzy Juice ()
Date: February 06, 2012 10:45PM

The original poster is asking about METRO WEST @ the Vienna Metro Station - not TYSONS WEST. With that said - I will ask the question once again. Does anyone know what retailers will be setting up shop at Metro West?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.