HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Can Carbon Monoxide Be In Your Home?
Posted by: Fairfax County Fire and Rescue News ()
Date: November 12, 2011 04:02PM

Can Carbon Monoxide Be In Your Home?
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/news/2011archive/2011_80.htm

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801, TTY: 711 and Fax:703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
fire-rescue.PA-LSE@fairfaxcounty.gov

News Release 11-80

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, tasteless, toxic gas. It causes about 300 accidental fatalities in homes each year; thousands more are treated in hospitals for CO poisoning.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning exposure include: headache, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and confused thinking (victims do not think clearly enough to get assistance). Without treatment, the victim will lose consciousness and possibly their life. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of fuels.

Common carbon monoxide causes include:

•Faulty gas or oil furnaces and water heaters.
•Using a generator inside or too close to windows.
•Cracked chimney flues.
•Indoor use of charcoal grills.
•Use of a gas oven or range to warm a room.
•Running a car in an enclosed area.
•Closing the fireplace damper before the fire is completely out.
Carbon monoxide accidents are preventable. Actions you should take to protect your family include:

•Have a qualified technician inspect your gas furnace and appliances.
•Never allow your car to run in an enclosed area, especially if it is attached to your house.
•Make sure your fireplace is in good repair and do not close the damper before the fire is out.
•Install CO alarms to give your family a warning if CO is building up in your house.

Carbon Monoxide alarms can be purchased at many local hardware stores. Ensure the alarm that you purchase has an Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label. Carbon Monoxide alarms should be located on every floor and mounted according to the manufacturer's instructions. If the alarm goes off, everyone should get out of the house at once and call 911 from a neighbor's house. Do not ventilate your house by opening doors and windows. When first responders arrive, they will obtain CO readings in different areas of your home to determine the source of the leak.

If you have questions about your gas furnaces or appliance, contact your gas company. If your CO alarm gives a warning signal, get out of the house and call 911.

For more information, call Daniel L. Schmidt or Captain I Willie F. Bailey, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, 703-246-3801 and TTY: 711. Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can Carbon Monoxide Be In Your Home?
Posted by: Al Unser ()
Date: November 13, 2011 06:11AM

I guess when I park my car in the living room.

Posted by: He Is Delusional ()
Date: November 13, 2011 07:33AM

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue News Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> •Install CO alarms to give your family a warning
> if CO is building up in your house.
>

True that. Best $30 you'll ever spend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm the real H.I.D. If you question my identity, just hit the quote button on one of my posts and look for any of the "L" characters that have been replaced by the uppercase "I" character. That will tell you who the fake is.

Posted by: Vjj ()
Date: November 13, 2011 08:20AM

Years ago I had the carbon monoxide alarms in my home and they went off all the time. I'd call the fire dept. And all would be fine. They said the alarms just always go off and aren't really reliable. Have they improved in the last 10 or 15 years? thanks for your input.

Posted by: Mr-Misery ()
Date: November 13, 2011 08:59AM

yes yes they have the fire depo was lying to you

they wanted you dead

Posted by: bahahahahhahahahahahaha ()
Date: November 13, 2011 08:50PM

10-15 years? Boy are you dumb?

Our computers 10-15 years ago were slow ass pieces of shit, do you think CO detectors were supposed to be as sophisticated as they are today?

They are a lifesaver.

Posted by: Firefighter ()
Date: November 14, 2011 02:42PM

As a firefighter I can confirm that the detectors are much better than they were when they first came out. We used to run false alarms constantly when the alarms had the sensors and battery combined. Now most of the alarms plug into the wall socket or are hard wired. Now when we respond for a CO alarm we almost always locate the source. The sensor technology is different and is much more reliable.

Carbon Monoxide is odorless and will kill you in your sleep. The detectors do save lives.

Posted by: inhalation ()
Date: November 14, 2011 02:58PM

Vjj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Years ago I had the carbon monoxide alarms in my
> home and they went off all the time. I'd call the
> fire dept. And all would be fine. They said the
> alarms just always go off and aren't really
> reliable. Have they improved in the last 10 or 15
> years? thanks for your input.

They are definitely a life saver! Are you living under a rock? What's wrong with you? Without these new CO2 detectors I would be............
..... hold on for a second I'm feeling a little dizzy......

I was saying... um,

aunt bertha is that you?
cough
cough
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.