HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Braddock Rd and Pleasant Valley Improvment
Posted by: Insane? ()
Date: September 22, 2013 12:06AM

Anyone that has every drivin through this intersection during rush hour knows how bad it sucks. So why would anyone oppose it? I don't understand why anyone would oppose any project that has cars backed up to a 4way stop for 30minutes.

http://www.virginiarun.com/editor_upload/File/VA%20Run%20Roundabout%20opposition%20flyer%2009152013%20final.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Braddock Rd and Pleasant Valley Improvment
Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: September 22, 2013 04:14PM

One reason is because roundabouts are merely a stop gap measure and it's amazing how many people have no idea how to use them. My guess is the opponents are trying to get a real improvement pushed through for the intersection rather than wasting money on something that doesn't really fix anything.

Posted by: emmet grogan ()
Date: September 22, 2013 06:02PM

VDOT has a pretty good website on the project:

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/braddock_and_pleasant_valley.asp

At the bottom of the page, under the "Resources" heading, is some very detailed of information regarding the need for, and benifits of, the project.

- Mini Roundabout Assessment
- Summary Report on Various Concepts

The newsletter cited in the original post is nothing more than the usual NIMBY whining. Especially offensive is the thought that Fairfax County should not make commuting and driving easier for people that live in Loudoun County. What's the difference between this line of thinking and Arlington County blocking the widening of I-66 or the extension of HOT lanes? Suppose Arlington and Alexandria did this on all the roads that cross the Fairfax County line??

Posted by: where will it end ()
Date: September 22, 2013 06:47PM

When they develop thousand of homes just past South Riding and you cant get out of your subdivision, you will have a better understanding.

Posted by: Cville Citizen ()
Date: September 22, 2013 07:26PM

The problem isn't with the round a bout, it's with the Loudoun commuters who want nothing more than speed their way through our neighborhoods along PV & Braddock roads, trust me I know because I've been passed against the double yellow line many times, and yes, I typically drive over the speed limit. The problem is that Braddock & Pleasant Valley are 2 lane, narrow roadways with no shoulder which aren't designed to handle the current volume of traffic. I hate sitting through that 4 way but let's see what happens when 50 is widened. It is short-sighted to improve the intersection without regard to improving Braddock & Pleasant Valley. It's gonna take more than Loudoun throwing a million dollars in the pot to stop their citizens from whining.

Posted by: From Da Hood -- Traffic ()
Date: September 22, 2013 08:10PM

Traffic circles are a mess. You have plenty of NoVA drivers who can't handle their cars while driving on a straight road, and now you want them to navigate a traffic circle? I'd say at best, 40% of the drivers know how a traffic circle even works. The rest of them just say a quick prayer, close their eyes, hit the gas and hope they don't get in a wreck.

Additionally, as I've learned over the years is that VDOT is nothing but a propaganda machine. Do they always have the best interest of the drivers in mind when they get involved in a project? Rarely. Most often, their work is to benefit someone else in a political role who has a favor that he / she owes to a few of their developer friends.

Also, keep in mind, I think Paul VI high school is planning on building a campus out in that area. In exchange for approving their permits, have them pay for the intersection widening, turn lanes added and the stop lights. I don't think it's too much to ask for all the traffic they'll add into that immediate area.

Posted by: 4 way nightmare ()
Date: September 22, 2013 08:50PM

Didn't VDOT study this about 5 yrs ago and conclude that a roundabout would not be a suitable, long term solution????

Posted by: simple fix ()
Date: September 22, 2013 10:57PM

Just put a goddamn traffic light at that intersection and things will improve.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: September 22, 2013 11:13PM

I've driven through that intersection almost every day for the last 8 years. It would be foolish to make any improvements to the intersection without a substantial widening and improvement of Braddock and Pleasant Valley Roads themselves. Increasing traffic throughput on those two roads as is would be a bad idea.

Posted by: Hmmmmmm.... ()
Date: September 23, 2013 04:59AM

4 way nightmare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't VDOT study this about 5 yrs ago and
> conclude that a roundabout would not be a
> suitable, long term solution????

I seem to remember that too.

Posted by: kill me now ()
Date: September 23, 2013 05:11AM

Not only is that intersection one of the most fucked up in the county, it's going to get substantially worse between now and early November. For those who suffer through this third circle of hell everyday, you already know te reason why...

Cox Farm Autumn and Halloween Festival. Kill me now.

Posted by: longtime resident ()
Date: September 23, 2013 06:43AM

kill me now Wrote:
> Not only is that intersection one of the most
> fucked up in the county, it's going to get
> substantially worse between now and early
> November. For those who suffer through this third
> circle of hell everyday, you already know te
> reason why...
>
>
>
> Cox Farm Autumn and Halloween Festival. Kill me
> now.

Tough shit, that festival was going years before your house was even built.You can congratulate the greedy builders and Loudon BOS for placing a major development next to a gravel road then being allowed to open an access to it.

Posted by: Suck Cox Farms ()
Date: September 23, 2013 07:20AM

I would be soooo happy if Cox Farm was plowed under. That fucking pseudo-farm causes major traffic issues.

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:44PM

That intersection should be left in its current state until the Braddock Road-Old Lee Road connector is completed.

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: October 10, 2013 01:30PM

Posted by: Better than you ()
Date: October 10, 2013 03:25PM

You South Riding trash take route 50 and stay off of Pleasant Valley. We in Virginia Run are tired of your shitty domestic cars clogging our wide avenue. Stay in the LoCo where yous belong.

Posted by: youcanseeitnow.com ()
Date: August 28, 2014 04:21PM

We shot an aerial video of the intersection. Let us know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEW_5XQPolc

www.youcanseeitnow.com

Posted by: Old houses ()
Date: August 28, 2014 05:01PM

Va Run hasn't been a desirable place to in over 20 years.

Posted by: let the fun begin ()
Date: August 28, 2014 06:46PM

youcanseeitnow.com Wrote:
> We shot an aerial video of the intersection. Let
> us know what you think!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEW_5XQPolc
>
>
>
> www.youcanseeitnow.com

Do this after the roundabout goes in and you can video lots of fender benders, fire equipment blocking the the road attending to whiplash victims, and some serious road rage from commuters that spend too much on houses in the boonies and too much time commuting.

Posted by: Lobo Alumnus ()
Date: August 28, 2014 08:15PM

Just build a fucking interchange and be done with it.

Posted by: We Drive in Circles ()
Date: August 28, 2014 08:44PM

In my free time, I like to enter roundabouts during rush hour and complete exactly 50 rotations before exiting.

Posted by: loudouncountyfail ()
Date: June 05, 2016 12:26AM

Well then. The roundabout has been in operation for several months now. And as far as making the morning commute easier for the Loudoun County commuters - what a fail. It merely has relocated the backup on Braddock Road from Pleasant Valley to the Loudoun County line to from Old Lee Road to Pleasant Valley. And in the process made it a heck of a lot tougher for the kids to get to Westfield high school. Well done VDOT and Loudoun County.

Posted by: NiceshootinTex ()
Date: June 05, 2016 08:02AM

Old Lee and Braddock, I think you mean. The widening of 50 didn't have near the impact they thought it would because the volume of traffic on 50 increased by something like twice as much as they had projected. It shouldn't have been hard to predict though since they: a) continued to do nothing about 66, b) didn't remove some of the ridiculous lights on 50, esp in Loudoun c) allowed Bull Run PO Road to be paved and improved Gum Spring and d) must not have accounted for the continued building of houses in Loudoun and PW. I think a lot more PW/Manassas commuters are using Braddock and 50 to get to 28. The ramp from 50 to 28N used to be a little slow when you merged on to 28 -- now it is jamming back to the 50 and Lee intersection at rush hour.

Posted by: ert ()
Date: June 05, 2016 10:23AM

It's not really a round about, it's basically a 4 way yield with skinny lanes. Who designed this mess?

Posted by: Chadeus Mooks ()
Date: June 05, 2016 11:42AM

Build San interstate highways

Posted by: Jan ()
Date: June 05, 2016 03:50PM

My commute is worse than it was with the 4 way stop sign. The backup on Braddock is really bad.

Posted by: loudouncountyfail ()
Date: June 05, 2016 04:03PM

NiceshootinTex Wrote:
> Old Lee and Braddock, I think you mean.

No - I mean eastbound traffic on Braddock Road backs up from Old Lee Road the entire way back to Pleasant Valley Road.

Posted by: WestBound ()
Date: June 06, 2016 08:07AM

loudouncountyfail Wrote:
> NiceshootinTex Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Old Lee and Braddock, I think you mean.
>
> No - I mean eastbound traffic on Braddock Road
> backs up from Old Lee Road the entire way back to
> Pleasant Valley Road.

I never take this way in the morning. Is this because people are turning left on Old Lee Road?

I know in the afternoon old lee road is backed up. They just need to add a right turn lane and that would solve that mess.

It sounds like the Old Lee Road and Braddock intersection just need a couple of turning lanes and everything would be good.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.