HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Longwood University
Posted by: meep ()
Date: September 15, 2013 11:56PM

I have never heard of this university before, where does it fall compared to the public universities?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Longwood University
Posted by: beep ()
Date: September 16, 2013 12:08AM

I have longwood when I wake up every morning.

Posted by: Professor Von Schtuppenstein ()
Date: September 16, 2013 12:44AM

From Wikipedia:

"The university is consistently ranked in the top ten public, masters-level universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report. In 2005 it was recognized by USA Today as among 20 schools in the country that promote and foster student success."

Honestly, that's a bit much...Longwood is where Virginia high-school students go who don't get into: William and Mary, UVA, VA Tech, GMU, ODU, Radford, Mary Washington, or VCU. It's for students who DID get into NOVA but, want to "reach" in order to see if they can get into Longwood so that their college experience doesn't include living at home...

Posted by: Radford Recruiter ()
Date: September 16, 2013 12:52AM

Professor Von Schtuppenstein Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From Wikipedia:
>
> "The university is consistently ranked in the top
> ten public, masters-level universities in the
> South by U.S. News and World Report. In 2005 it
> was recognized by USA Today as among 20 schools in
> the country that promote and foster student
> success."
>
> Honestly, that's a bit much...Longwood is where
> Virginia high-school students go who don't get
> into: William and Mary, UVA, VA Tech, GMU, ODU,
> Radford, Mary Washington, or VCU. It's for
> students who DID get into NOVA but, want to
> "reach" in order to see if they can get into
> Longwood so that their college experience doesn't
> include living at home...

Yes, but does Longwood include herpes? I think not!

Posted by: meep ()
Date: September 16, 2013 12:55AM

Longwood is a school for those who could not go anywhere else, including Radford? Wow.

Posted by: JBW ()
Date: September 16, 2013 02:42PM

meep Wrote:
> Longwood is a school for those who could not go
> anywhere else, including Radford? Wow.

That's crap. Longwood has a wonderful reputation and is a perfectly fine school. Farmville isn't any place you'd write home about, but that's not the school's fault. It is where it is. But the school is first rate.

Posted by: The problem is Farmville ()
Date: September 16, 2013 02:54PM

JBW Wrote:
> meep Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Longwood is a school for those who could not go
> > anywhere else, including Radford? Wow.
>
> That's crap. Longwood has a wonderful reputation
> and is a perfectly fine school. Farmville isn't
> any place you'd write home about, but that's not
> the school's fault. It is where it is. But the
> school is first rate.

First rate is stretching it. I'd say its on the same level as Radford, maybe a little higher. But I'd rather go to Radford because its a much better location.

And Farmville is B-O-R-I-N-G and isolated. Some of the other VA public colleges are located in kinda sleepy college areas (Blacksburg, Harrisonburg, Radford) but Farmville makes Blacksburg look like New York City.

Posted by: LookforOthers ()
Date: September 16, 2013 04:32PM

Northern Virginia high school students, at every level, can always get into a higher ranked school out-of-state.

Posted by: Longwoodie ()
Date: September 16, 2013 04:45PM

Longwood's certainly better than Radford, not that that's saying much.

Posted by: Longwood Parent ()
Date: September 16, 2013 07:22PM

I have a son who goes to Longwood. He loves it. He originally wanted to go to CNU, but changed his mind after hearing so many positive things about Longwood,from current students to those who graduated years ago. True, it can't compare to UVA, Tech, W&M etc. I think my son is pretty typical: smart, but didn't exactly take high school as seriously as he should. I know lots of adults who were that way as kids, and they eventually did just great in the work world.

Farmville is a small town, and there isn't a whole lot to do except chill with friends. However, the school seems to attract kids who love to hunt and fish and spend time outdoors, and so my son has definitely found kindred spirits. Also, he was turned off by the cocky attitudes at JMU (and eventually CNU too), and the beautiful but glitzy atmosphere of places like High Point. Longwood seems a little like going back in time. It's not for everyone, but those who choose it, love it. In the end, that and getting a degree are all that matters.

Posted by: Lurch ()
Date: September 16, 2013 07:30PM

The women at Longwood are just Hur-ting..If your a chic and go to Longwood, 100% chance you're just Hur-ting!!!

Posted by: fbfbasdjkfbzsjkcfc ()
Date: September 19, 2013 12:26AM

JBW Wrote:
> meep Wrote:
> -----
> > Longwood is a school for those who could not go
> > anywhere else, including Radford? Wow.
>
> That's crap. Longwood has a wonderful reputation
> and is a perfectly fine school. Farmville isn't
> any place you'd write home about, but that's not
> the school's fault. It is where it is. But the
> school is first rate.

That's a joke. Seriously.

I have gone through the admission process quite a few times in recent years with a number of HS seniors...and this is my honest assessment based on recent experience and significant data (including Naviance):

- Longwood is one of the lowest tier state schools in VA.

- Longwood and Radford are where VA kids end up who phoned in high school. Well, there or NOVA...or some shithole like Coastal Carolina.

- These kids (unrealistically) hoped for UVA or Tech...and assumed JMU was their safety school. They looked down at GMU.

- When their rejection letters came back, they were shocked with the new reality in VA.

- Not only were they rejected from their dream and safety schools, they were also rejected from GMU and Christopher Newport.

- With the new economy, the standards for mid-tier schools in VA have risen...significantly. This competition is also fueled by their rise in national prominence (undergraduate and graduate academic programs) and "best buy" ratings from the likes of Kiplinger's (even for out-of-state students).

- After being rejected by most state schools, these kids then think about the possibility of attending the one or two expensive private schools to which their parents let them apply. Of course, their parents put the brakes on 50K a year for an undergraduate degree pretty fast...so they end up at one of three places: NOVA, Radford, or Longwood.

Frankly, NOVA is their best bet. It's a shithole full of morons, but two years there and you have guaranteed admission to most VA state schools. Of course, most kids that try this route fail...and those that do manage to gain admission in the third year cannot handle the increased workload of a real college, but some do succeed. Longwood and Radford are dead-end party schools.

BTW, do you realize that GMU now has on campus housing for 6000 students - about the same number as UVA and JMU? Yeah, times have changed. Time to update your persepctive.

Posted by: JMU Parent ()
Date: September 19, 2013 12:37AM

Longwood Parent Wrote:
> I have a son who goes to Longwood. He loves it. He
> originally wanted to go to CNU, but changed his
> mind after hearing so many positive things about
> Longwood,from current students to those who
> graduated years ago.

Translation: He was rejected from CNU...and Mason.

> True, it can't compare to
> UVA, Tech, W&M etc. I think my son is pretty
> typical: smart, but didn't exactly take high
> school as seriously as he should. I know lots of
> adults who were that way as kids, and they
> eventually did just great in the work world.

He's attending Longwood...so you didn't need to mention the part about not taking high school seriously. We knew. Everyone knows.

> Farmville is a small town, and there isn't a whole
> lot to do except chill with friends.

i.e., drink, smoke dope, and try to score molly...in between Call of Duty matches.

> However, the
> school seems to attract kids who love to hunt and
> fish and spend time outdoors, and so my son has
> definitely found kindred spirits.

Unlike kids who go to Mason, who waste time during their semesters doing things like part-time internships downtown or with one of the thousands of companies in FFX.

> Also, he was turned off by the cocky attitudes at JMU (and
> eventually CNU too), and the beautiful but glitzy
> atmosphere of places like High Point.

Rejected from all. Seriously, you expect us to believe that he got into JMU?! Laughable. That requires about a 3.8 right now.

> Longwood seems a little like going back in time.

Exactly. Like going back in time to freshman year of high school...because that is supposedly the academic level. Seriously.

> It's not for everyone, but those who choose it, love it. In
> the end, that and getting a degree are all that
> matters.

They "love it?" How about this sourced ditty from Wikipedia:

Longwood University's Princeton Review "Quality of Life Rating", at 68 on a scale of 60 to 99, is the lowest among Virginia's rated public colleges and universities.

One fact is true though - college admission is not a competition to be won - it is a match to be made...so if it works for him, great. Let's just try not to sell the Kool Aide that we are chugging to everyone else.

Posted by: Dude! ()
Date: September 19, 2013 09:43AM

There are at least two or three Longwood grads in the past few decades who've gone on to be mild success stories. It's gotta be good to have that kind of track record!

Posted by: Lord of Turf ()
Date: September 19, 2013 09:49AM

Do they have artificial turf? No wonder it is so expensive and the academics so poor.

This place is even worse than Radford.

Posted by: Rowdy Red ()
Date: September 19, 2013 02:40PM

The mayor of Fairfax City is a proud Radford graduate...

http://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/mayor-city-council/mayor-r-scott-silverthorne

Posted by: ... ()
Date: September 19, 2013 02:41PM

Rowdy Red Wrote:
> The mayor of Fairfax City is a proud Radford
> graduate...
>
> http://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/mayor-city-cou
> ncil/mayor-r-scott-silverthorne

And most of the folks on this board fuck socks and live in their mom's basement.

Posted by: The Wood ()
Date: September 19, 2013 03:59PM

Longwood does suck. The administration is a bunch of power tripping weirdos and Farmville is sketchy as hell. However, I made the best friends of my life there and had the time of my life. Also met my wife and we've been happily married for 10 years. (Back then there were about twice as many girls as guys, huge selling point for me.) Made a tight knit group of friends and we've stayed tight. Since we all had to bond together to have any kind of fun there, we all became like family and still are close nearly 20 years later. A lot of Lwood folks will testify to similar experiences. The stuff about getting loaded all the time there is true too. There wasn't much to do but party-but like I said we had a fing blast. I wouldn't trade those days in Farmville for anything. But like I said the administration sucked. They'll never get another dime from us. Def won't encourage our kids to go there. Still, there is something about Longwood Folk!

Posted by: wonderful school ()
Date: September 19, 2013 04:08PM

And you work where now, Target? Vector Marketing?

Posted by: The Wood ()
Date: September 19, 2013 04:33PM

Gov't contractor. I've done just fine. A degree's a degree, then I got a masters elsewhere. Plus its all about who you know dumbass. My wife taught school and now stays home with our kids. Most of our friends have done well, several went on to grad school elsewhere though.

Forgot to mention, the Greek thing was huge there. It gave us something to do I guess. I doubt I would have joined a frat anywhere else but its just kind of what you did there. We had fun with it but if you weren't in to that it was a lot tougher to have a good time. I know several frats and sororities have been kicked off since we left though. They cracked down on a lot of stuff from what I heard. But damn those were some fun days. Getting laid was as easy as pie being outnumbered by sorority girls. 2 to 1. I'm sure as hell glad I lived my wild days out before cellphone cameras and the internet. Kind of sad you almost had to go Greek but like I said, Longwood sucked!

Anyone hear about the professor who was axed murdered there along with her husband, daughter and daughter's friend? I had her for Criminal Justice. Look up the Farmville Murders. There is some crazy shit that has gone down in Farmville ove the years.

Re: Farmville Murders
Posted by: ex-Less ()
Date: September 19, 2013 04:47PM

Posted by: UR a buzzkill ()
Date: September 19, 2013 06:29PM

@JMU parent- What an asshole. Who cares where someone went to undergrad? All that matters is where they land, where they get their advanced degree, how hard they work and the connections they make. Happiness is the key. You must be miserable and I feel sorry for you. Did someone in your family hurt you or kill themselves? Search within.

Posted by: Cakes ()
Date: September 19, 2013 07:13PM

Just not money looking women go to longwood, Just Hur-ting. They are struggling in the looks department.

Posted by: Nasty stuck off parent ()
Date: September 19, 2013 08:09PM

To the nasty parent poster. You are typical wacko FFX parent. Shame on you

Posted by: every schjool has its role ()
Date: September 19, 2013 08:51PM

I notice often that posters ask the wrong questions. A question about where Longwood fits in the scheme of Virginia univerisities is really just a question about the perceived prestige of the school compared to other schools in Virginia. I would think anyone would surmise the school is not high on the prestige scale. But does it matter?

I think the right question to ask about the Longwood's and Radford's of the world is whether if, if one applies themselves and works hard in a major with reasonable employment prospects, the schools are a sound value.

My view is that these schools are a decent value for in-state students. I would not go to either school and goof off, or be unfocused, however.

In today's absurd student loan and debt environment value is really is all that matters. Remember, educators today generally indoctrinate with the evils of isms, racism, capitalism, and so on, and pound on the popular narratives. Very few young people think critically, assess their skills, and assign an appropriate economic value to their education investment, which, despite all of the overblow notions of prestige, really is about developing human capital to derive future rents (some strictly economic, some not).

Doing well at the school attended and focusing on a challenging major which has employment options is likely more important than ever before, no matter where you attend. Want to play Animal House at Longwood or William and Mary? The answer is the same for either place - it is not a good idea. Recovery potential from such antics is far from what it was in the 70's and 80's. Indeed, one is much better to acquire trade skills than playing Animal House and incurring debt or having parents subsidize a party.

I have just finished paying for two educations (no debt, somehow) for my offspring, one at the top of the Ivy League and one at a non-Ivy ranked in the middle of the Ivy League. I must say each are not "good values", and what I paid for was the experience of having them be in a highly competitive and socially exceedingly well connected environment. This is of course all fine and well, and they clearly belonged where they were, but they could have had the same opportunities at any number of other schools (many of which were far cheaper). As the poster above says, it is all about whether they are happy.
And in the workplace, it is all about the ability to just get things done. If my charges do that (and I think they will), well, the analytic training will help them later on. But you don't get to the plate these days without being simply a doer. There are hundreds of schools in which anyone can do that.

Posted by: read these ()
Date: September 19, 2013 09:18PM

http://www.martynemko.com/articles/we-send-too-many-students-college_id1543

http://martynemko.blogspot.com/2012/02/when-is-going-to-college-worth-it.html

Re Longwood. Nemko reminds that if you graduate in the bottom 40% of the class in high school, you are unlikely to finish in 6 years. To the extent Longwood, UVa-Wise, etc accepts students in the lower 40% (and they do), well, those students should be advised to be exceedingly diligent or realistic about their efforts.

Date: September 19, 2013 09:29PM

Thank you for your astute post, and congrats on getting your kids through such fine schools. I'll just add one more point that is especially pertinent for boys...sometimes it's just about making progress, step by step, while their brains mature and catch up with their bodies, adn they start to figure out what they really want out of life. Most boys, at 18 and 19, are nowhere near what or who they will be ten years later; and the caliber of the school they attend has a small impact relative to everything else (friends, jobs, clubs and other life experiences). One of my siblings took almost six years to finish college and attended three before he was done; he nearly dropped out along the way. Today, he is the most financially successful of all of us. He can afford for his wife to stay at home. My Ivy League husband cannot. My brother chose IT, my husband chose government.

Posted by: To Manor Born ()
Date: September 19, 2013 11:09PM

I thought that Longwood existed to supply Hampden-Sydney boys an endless chain of fresh pussy.

Posted by: JMU Parent ()
Date: September 20, 2013 12:38AM

UR a buzzkill Wrote:
> @JMU parent- What an asshole. Who cares where
> someone went to undergrad? All that matters is
> where they land, where they get their advanced
> degree, how hard they work and the connections
> they make. Happiness is the key. You must be
> miserable and I feel sorry for you. Did someone
> in your family hurt you or kill themselves?
> Search within.

No, actually, I am quite happy. This board is just where I speak the truth. You aren't sitting on Oprah's couch with her stroking your hand saying that you have the hardest job in the world - "you're a mother....ohhhh"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPg2oarG_c

The plain fact is that Longwood is one of the lowest tier schools in the state...and has the lowest student body satisfaction of any VA state college/university. Those are both facts...and when I see posters saying "Longwood has a wonderful reputation" and "those who choose it, love it", I'm going to throw the BS flag and state facts, which may actually help someone. I'm not here to give you therapy.

Posted by: fasdgsdfgsdfsfg ()
Date: September 20, 2013 12:40AM

Longwood Parent Wrote:
> Thank you for your astute post, and congrats on
> getting your kids through such fine schools. I'll
> just add one more point that is especially
> pertinent for boys...sometimes it's just about
> making progress, step by step, while their brains
> mature and catch up with their bodies, adn they
> start to figure out what they really want out of
> life. Most boys, at 18 and 19, are nowhere near
> what or who they will be ten years later; and the
> caliber of the school they attend has a small
> impact relative to everything else (friends, jobs,
> clubs and other life experiences). One of my
> siblings took almost six years to finish college
> and attended three before he was done; he nearly
> dropped out along the way. Today, he is the most
> financially successful of all of us. He can afford
> for his wife to stay at home. My Ivy League
> husband cannot. My brother chose IT, my husband
> chose government.

And a college dropout founded Microsoft...and another one founded Facebook. I guess that means all college dropouts will be billionaires. Whopps, no it doesn't. Those are anecdotes from which you can extrapolate almost nothing...much like your story...but thanks for it. You told it so well.

Posted by: Not This Again... ()
Date: September 20, 2013 12:54AM

JMU Parent Wrote:
> UR a buzzkill Wrote:
> -----
> > @JMU parent- What an asshole. Who cares where
> > someone went to undergrad? All that matters is
> > where they land, where they get their advanced
> > degree, how hard they work and the connections
> > they make. Happiness is the key. You must be
> > miserable and I feel sorry for you. Did
> someone
> > in your family hurt you or kill themselves?
> > Search within.
>
>
> No, actually, I am quite happy. This board is
> just where I speak the truth. You aren't sitting
> on Oprah's couch with her stroking your hand
> saying that you have the hardest job in the world
> - "you're a mother....ohhhh"
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPg2oarG_c
>
> The plain fact is that Longwood is one of the
> lowest tier schools in the state...and has the
> lowest student body satisfaction of any VA state
> college/university. Those are both facts...and
> when I see posters saying "Longwood has a
> wonderful reputation" and "those who choose it,
> love it", I'm going to throw the BS flag and state
> facts, which may actually help someone. I'm not
> here to give you therapy.

I agree - you're an arrogant, probably insecure, ass. You are trying to assuage your disappointment that your kid didn't get into UVA or W&M with the pretense that JMU is a superior institution. Personally, I don't give a shit, but I feel sorry for your kid.

Different strokes for different folks. And the irony is that it really doesn't matter. Talent and drive will eventually out - no matter where your kid goes to school.

Posted by: bjkjkjkjkj ()
Date: September 20, 2013 01:52AM

Not This Again... Wrote:
> JMU Parent Wrote:
> -----
> > UR a buzzkill Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > @JMU parent- What an asshole. Who cares
> where
> > > someone went to undergrad? All that matters
> is
> > > where they land, where they get their
> advanced
> > > degree, how hard they work and the
> connections
> > > they make. Happiness is the key. You must
> be
> > > miserable and I feel sorry for you. Did
> > someone
> > > in your family hurt you or kill themselves?
> > > Search within.
> >
> >
> > No, actually, I am quite happy. This board is
> > just where I speak the truth. You aren't
> sitting
> > on Oprah's couch with her stroking your hand
> > saying that you have the hardest job in the
> world
> > - "you're a mother....ohhhh"
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPg2oarG_c
> >
> > The plain fact is that Longwood is one of the
> > lowest tier schools in the state...and has the
> > lowest student body satisfaction of any VA
> state
> > college/university. Those are both facts...and
> > when I see posters saying "Longwood has a
> > wonderful reputation" and "those who choose it,
> > love it", I'm going to throw the BS flag and
> state
> > facts, which may actually help someone. I'm
> not
> > here to give you therapy.
>
> I agree - you're an arrogant, probably insecure,
> ass. You are trying to assuage your disappointment
> that your kid didn't get into UVA or W&M with the
> pretense that JMU is a superior institution.
> Personally, I don't give a shit, but I feel sorry
> for your kid.
>
> Different strokes for different folks. And the
> irony is that it really doesn't matter. Talent and
> drive will eventually out - no matter where your
> kid goes to school.

Whatever.

Your kid will be taught be what are some of the worst professors in the public university system in the Commonwealth and will generally not like it there based on stats, including princeton review. They will be stuck in the middle of nowhere...not likely ever getting a decent intership unless a family member cooks one up...and their hobbies for the next 4 (or more likely 5) years will be binge drinking, pot smoking, and trying to score some other type of high. When they graduate, they will have little more than a piece of paper...that my HR dept will toss...since they know better.

Have a nice evening.

Posted by: Ashamed of JMU parent ()
Date: September 20, 2013 09:28AM

I attended JMU. I am ashamed of JMU parent. So snobby and hateful. And whatever on UVA. Overrated and have some of lowest pass rates on professional licensure exams.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: September 20, 2013 10:36AM

All of you people act like antiquated nobles of middle ages only concerned about titles. Fact of the matter, most colleges fall short of their mission to open the minds up of students.

Posted by: every schjool has its role ()
Date: September 20, 2013 10:57AM

JMU Parent - as you continue on your high horse in the righteous spirit of telling the truth, I would remind you that JMU is merely a nice regional public university bisected by an interstate highway. At the schools my offspring graduated from (see above), the students at each (yes, they can be immature no matter how intelligent they are) school view JMU as a glorified community college, if they are even aware of its existence. Yes, that is the not fair or correct view of JMU, but do bear in mind that the many of students at the Princetons of the world imbued with your attitude view JMU as you view Longwood (or worse). The difference is that they are not adults. Adults should advise students not on phony notions of prestige, but on practical matters of value and the most efficient way to obtain human capital given each person's set of skills. In some cases, that may not mean college at all. That is the reality of things today.

For what it is worth, I too attended one of the those "top 10" USNWR ranked schools on athletic scholaship. (This leaves you guessing as to which one of the two which gives scholarships it was). Your attitude would have been absolutely toxic to me. One, on the athletic field, no one gives a darn about how smart you are or your prestige level. In fact, it is a handicap. Division 1 top level athletics (i.e. being in the top 100 of your sport) is brutally competitive and intense, and effete notions of superiority well, would have just led to an ass kicking and failure on the field. More importantly, given that I was not paying sufficient attention to academics given my status as a quasi-professional athlete, it would have been as deadly as heck to adopt a prestige based snark like you have. I was very conscious of the fact I needed practical skills to be employed and knew darn well that employers would not be overly impressed with a fancy degree. (I came from poverty, so that helped). I did go on to an Ivy graduate school (and there the undergrad name helped in getting in), but heck, in contrast to my classmates in grad school, a great many of whom were Ivy Leaguers as undergrads, I worked like crazy at being a doer above all else, and was surprisingly more successful than they were. My colleague who garnered the same honors as I did went to Southern Oregon, a school which ranks below Longwood. I can assure you that most would not enjoy engaging in either an analytic or practical challenge against her.

Work ethic and focus matter above all else. Go to Longwood, Radford, VCU, UVa, JMU, or GMU? Have your head on straight, don't treat it like a vacation (but fun should not die either), be both tactical and strategic in your choice of major, and view debt as kryptonite and avoid it as much as possible, even if that means NOVA, etc. That is the advice which governs today.

To the posters who point out that boys develop slower, they are absolutely correct and public schools are not friendly to them. Teachers today would have called me out as ADD and begged my single mother to drug me, likely with negative long term effects. The shame of this is that I think it much, much more difficult for a young man to recover and start on a career with the three schools/ 6-7 year paradigm than it used to be. This is not judging the young men in this predicament, just stating that the new economy makes it much more difficult for them to recover. Another reason that every dime of college today must be well spent.

Posted by: Well Said ()
Date: September 20, 2013 11:39AM

^ Thank you.

Posted by: Pretentious Faggot ()
Date: September 20, 2013 12:09PM

bjkjkjkjkj Wrote:
> Whatever.
>
> Your kid will be taught be what are some of the
> worst professors in the public university system
> in the Commonwealth and will generally not like it
> there based on stats, including princeton review.
> They will be stuck in the middle of nowhere...not
> likely ever getting a decent intership unless a
> family member cooks one up...and their hobbies for
> the next 4 (or more likely 5) years will be binge
> drinking, pot smoking, and trying to score some
> other type of high. When they graduate, they will
> have little more than a piece of paper...that my
> HR dept will toss...since they know better.
>
> Have a nice evening.

Hey F@GGOT. Go kick rocks who would want to work for a company that hires @ssholes like you.

Date: September 20, 2013 12:21PM

"view debt as kryptonite and avoid it as much as possible"...

Well said and absolutely the key to all of this. Kids who have parents willing to fund their college experience...within bounds, of course, hence the choice of an in-state school vs the many private or out-of-state where son could have gone...are being given an unbelievalble gift e.g. the gift of time, education, experience. Doesn't matter if you got to Harvard; if you pile on the debt to do so, and your life's dream is to become a social worker, you are likely to suffer financially for years. Without debt, some of these kids can take a little more time, if needed, and still be ok. There's got to be a balance between pressuring kids to perform and forcing them to meet a timeline that isn't always right for everyone. AS I said before, it's about constantly moving forward. My mom got all of her kids through college that way, and it's a lesson I constantly try to bear in mind.

There was a fabulous article in Rolling Stone a few weeks back about the student loan crisis, and it should be read by anyone with college-bound kids. Every time my younger son gets an expensive glossy from one of these schools, I cringe. So much money spent these days on marketing glitz, fancy buildings etc.

Posted by: Amen ()
Date: September 20, 2013 01:13PM

It is scarey. Harvard and UVa be
I eve their own pr

Posted by: beavis ()
Date: September 21, 2013 01:13PM

Rowdy Red Wrote:
> The mayor of Fairfax City is a proud Radford
> graduate...
>
> http://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/mayor-city-cou
> ncil/mayor-r-scott-silverthorne

that makes sense.......

Posted by: Wendy Sizlick ()
Date: June 18, 2014 03:34AM

Longwood is a joke of a college.

Posted by: Yep ()
Date: July 13, 2014 12:19AM

Wendy Sizlick Wrote:
> Longwood is a joke of a college.

+1

Posted by: Ffx transplant ()
Date: July 20, 2014 09:30AM

I went to longwood for my undergrad. The assignments there were harder than what I completed for my master's program in Arlington. It's a perfectly good college to attend.

Posted by: cletus ()
Date: July 20, 2014 10:17AM

The problem is Farmville Wrote:
> JBW Wrote:
> -----
> > meep Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Longwood is a school for those who could not
> go
> > > anywhere else, including Radford? Wow.
> >
> > That's crap. Longwood has a wonderful
> reputation
> > and is a perfectly fine school. Farmville
> isn't
> > any place you'd write home about, but that's
> not
> > the school's fault. It is where it is. But
> the
> > school is first rate.
>
> First rate is stretching it. I'd say its on the
> same level as Radford, maybe a little higher. But
> I'd rather go to Radford because its a much better
> location.
>
> And Farmville is B-O-R-I-N-G and isolated. Some
> of the other VA public colleges are located in
> kinda sleepy college areas (Blacksburg,
> Harrisonburg, Radford) but Farmville makes
> Blacksburg look like New York City.

Farmville is a great place to buy furniture.

Posted by: Props to Longwood ()
Date: July 20, 2014 02:18PM

I know a guy who went to Longwood, and he does a great job of cutting my lawn. So don't badmouth the place!

Posted by: SalGovernale ()
Date: July 20, 2014 10:40PM

When I was in high school, Longwood was where all the jocks when to college if they couldn't get in anywhere else.

Posted by: Teacher ()
Date: July 20, 2014 10:57PM

I attended Longwood and have to say it is a great school. Sure, is it perfect for everyone? No school is. But there are exceptional programs there including their teaching program. They were recently ranked as the #8 teaching program nationwide. http://www.takepart.com/photos/college-rankings-best-schools-aspiring-teachers/8-longwood-university-virginia

They have wonderful small classes (I never had a class of more than 30 people) and have done construction so all of the dorms and buildings are really nice.

Posted by: With dorms ()
Date: July 21, 2014 06:08AM

It's an outstanding community college.

Posted by: Loved Bongwood! ()
Date: July 21, 2014 07:57AM

I had a blast at Bongwood! I got my computer science degree there. I'm now a software architect and I do make quite a bit of money. School is what you make of it.

Posted by: 9 years ()
Date: July 21, 2014 03:48PM

When did you graduate? And how long did it take you?

Date: December 07, 2014 05:12PM

I just stumbled across this old thread and had to add my toe cents worth, which will probably never be read. My daughter is at Longwood. She was accepted at every virginia university she applied to: GMU, VCU, RADFORD, CNU And JMU. She graduated from high school with a 3.9 GPAand a 28 ACT. Unfortunately, she was wait-listed st her first choice school and was devastated. She had no desire to attend any of the schools where she had been accepted. So in April, we made a dash to Longwood for a visit. She fell in love with the campus and after some frantic faxing and phone calls, she was accepted into the Honors college and received an academic scholarship.

I do agree that there's not much for her to do in good old FarmVille, and I am also sucked into (a bit) the whole "prestige" thing. How could I not be, being from NOVA. Bottom line, she is happy there, is pursuing a major in education, has a great GPA, has made many friends and will be pledging a sorority in the spring.

Your college experience is determined by what you make of the opportunities presented to you.

Posted by: Marion Barry ()
Date: December 07, 2014 05:34PM

I went to Longwood, est. 1839. I didn't have the best grades in HS but I had great SAT and AP scores. It's was challenging, I got a great education and made life-long friends there. If you don't like a country setting it's not for you but I personally loved camping, fishing and partying generally. The campus is beautiful, there's a good girl-to-guy ratio and since it was such a small school people generally got along and hung out at the same parties/events. Even though there's a big frat/sorority community you don't have to join to make friends and there were people from all walks of life.

Would I have gone to UVA or Tech if I'd gotten in? Probably. I don't regret my choice though; I have a good job and great friends. Your undergraduate degree is only your foot in the door for any job... after that it's all personal work ethic and initiative.

Posted by: Ghost of Marion ()
Date: December 07, 2014 05:41PM

Holy crap. A post from the departed. RIP Marion.

Posted by: Proud Alumnus ()
Date: December 08, 2014 08:47AM

My 8 years at long wood where the best of my life. Now I'm movin on up to assistant fry cook, thanks to the gret educashun I got there. You haters can suk it!

Posted by: Alummi ()
Date: December 08, 2014 09:36AM

Been driving a trash truck for over 6 years and can't thank Longwood enough for the great start in the job market.

For the record I was also excepted to Radford but turned them down! So glad I didn't go to UVA!

Posted by: Lester Ian ()
Date: December 08, 2014 09:50AM

I had serveral friends who graduated from Longwood. One is a vice mayor of a local city and runs his own consulting company, another one works for Freddie Mac and pulls in over $120,000 a year and another one works as a computer code writer making over a hundred grand a year. Not to shabby

College is what you make of it. Try hard, do well and LEARN and people will fight to hire you. Sit around partying, major in something like jouralism or womwns studies and prospective employers will scoff at you.

It's not the school, it is the person that really makes all the difference.

Posted by: Ha ha ha! ()
Date: December 08, 2014 10:51AM

Lester Ian Wrote:
> I had serveral friends who graduated from
> Longwood. One is a vice mayor of a local city and
> runs his own consulting company, another one works
> for Freddie Mac and pulls in over $120,000 a year
> and another one works as a computer code writer
> making over a hundred grand a year. Not to
> shabby
>
> College is what you make of it. Try hard, do well
> and LEARN and people will fight to hire you. Sit
> around partying, major in something like jouralism
> or womwns studies and prospective employers will
> scoff at you.
>
> It's not the school, it is the person that really
> makes all the difference.

Sure you do....

Posted by: Better than nothing ()
Date: December 08, 2014 10:59AM

When I was applying to college Longwood catered to one particular niche.

If you couldn't get into UVA, VT, W&M, or JMU and you didn't want to stay home for college (GMU) then you went to Longwood.

As others have mentioned I'd place it just below Radford. Its close, but if you can choose between Radford and Longwood then go to Radford.

Posted by: Funny Stuff ()
Date: December 08, 2014 11:29AM

Lester Ian Wrote:
> shabby
>
> scoff at you.
>

Thanks for the laughs!

Posted by: jewboy ()
Date: December 08, 2014 07:17PM

List of decent to good schools in VA:

UVA
Tech
William and Mary
GMU
CNU (ehhhh)

List of trash schools in VA

JMU
Radford Longwood
Hampden Sydney
VCU
Everything else

Posted by: List'm ()
Date: December 08, 2014 07:40PM

List of decent to good schools in VA:

UVA

Posted by: Preach boi ()
Date: December 08, 2014 08:10PM

List'm basically has it down, but William & Mary and W&L are good too

Posted by: Garland ()
Date: December 08, 2014 10:08PM

Lester Ian Wrote:
> shabby
>
> scoff at you.
>

Sounds made up because it's not. Freddie Mac will hire ANYONE, even Longwood graduates. Their attrition rates are atrocious. I've heard the same about the federal government. They pluck the low-hanging fruit and hope they are dumb enough to stick around earning janitor wages.

Posted by: let's put it like this ()
Date: December 08, 2014 10:56PM

Longwood is the kind of school the Boosterthon people attend if they don't go to Regent or Liberty.

Posted by: Nip ()
Date: December 09, 2014 07:11AM

Longwood has a good baseball program and Brier Creek Lake is down there for fishing.

College is a waste of money in todays world. All your stupid lazy fucking kids will move into your basements and live off you until you either throw them out or die. Thats the way American parents have raised the laste two generations of do nothing lazy assed whining punks.
Nip

Posted by: Nobody beats them ()
Date: December 09, 2014 09:16AM

List'm Wrote:
> List of decent to good schools in VA:
>
> UVA

UVA is definitely the top school for rape.

Posted by: Murders ()
Date: December 09, 2014 09:18AM

Nobody beats them Wrote:
> List'm Wrote:
> -----
> > List of decent to good schools in VA:
> >
> > UVA
>
> UVA is definitely the top school for rape.

Be fair, rape AND MURDERS.

Longwood has the best weed.

Posted by: Small Biz Owner ()
Date: December 09, 2014 09:36AM

I can vouch for Longwood grads. I run a Porta-Potty franchise and am reluctant to hire UVA grads because they think they're too good to work for a living and typically quit after a few years. Longwood grads, on the other hand, seem glad to have a job servicing the units and often stay for decades.

Posted by: Praveen Rohit ()
Date: December 10, 2014 06:36AM

I too can speak for the outstanding pedigree of a Longwood grad. Their outstanding entrepreneurial skills are on display at various timeshare sales conventions and Pampered Chef gatherings.

Posted by: Sam Hill ()
Date: December 10, 2014 08:13AM

The evidence in favor of Longwood is pouring in. I noticed that the two guys who do trash collection in my neighborhood for AAA Disposal were wearing Longwood sweatshirts. When asked, they both said yes, they attended Longwood and thought it was a great school that helped them with their careers.

Posted by: standards matter ()
Date: December 10, 2014 09:00AM

Longwood was founded on strict Eastern Mennonite principals and their exclusivity is on par with Duke, Chapel Hill and the Northern Virginia Community College, Manassas location.

Posted by: Traced ()
Date: December 10, 2014 10:08AM

standards matter Wrote:
the Northern Virginia
> Community College, Manassas location.

Now there is a gem of VA school. NOVA, Manassas location.

Posted by: Tracey Morgan ()
Date: December 10, 2014 03:21PM

I don't know about all that, but Radford has twice the enrollment of Longwood (10k vs. 5k).

What's odd is that W&L only has 2k. Are they that selective?

Liberty has the highest enrollment of all VA schools at 56k. That blows my mind. Is it mostly online at the University of Jesus Lovers?

Posted by: go mason ()
Date: December 10, 2014 08:24PM

go mason

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 12, 2014 04:33PM

You are dead wrong about Longwood. Our daughter went there, got two degrees and very high grades, was involved in many things and is now being paid to go to grad school and a PhD is probably next. She end at the same place as the top from UVa but with no college bills to pay afterwards. Longwood is a great place that can get you a great start.

Posted by: LU Grad ()
Date: December 12, 2014 08:29PM

Depends on what you do at Longwood. If you're a business major or want to be a teacher, it's a solid school with good programs that can get you places if you work hard and are smart.

Location isn't cosmopolitan but it has a certain small town charm. Different pace than Northern VA, to be sure. And really, over the past 5-10 years they're building like crazy down there, including a new student center.

I went there, and I would reccomend it. Visited many places where friends went (UVA, Tech, Mason, VCU, CNU, ODU) and Longwood seems as good as any, really. Not UVA prestige, of course, but no one really cares where you graduate college in the real world- they care about how smart you are and if you can help their business/organization.

Posted by: Bad Advice Guy ()
Date: December 12, 2014 09:21PM

You're absolutely right. No one really cares about school selection when they are considering political appointees, nominating Fortune 500 board members and hiring senior executives. So long as they worked hard and nailed the interview, school choice really doesn't matter.

Posted by: Employer at Fortune 500 job ()
Date: December 20, 2014 09:27PM

Bad Advice Guy Wrote:
> You're absolutely right. No one really cares
> about school selection when they are considering
> political appointees, nominating Fortune 500 board
> members and hiring senior executives. So long as
> they worked hard and nailed the interview, school
> choice really doesn't matter.

Bullshit. If I see a prospective employee attended a joke college or one of those for-profit institutions, their resume gets thrown out.

Posted by: High life ()
Date: December 20, 2014 09:46PM

Employer at Fortune 500 job Wrote:
> Bad Advice Guy Wrote:
> -----
> > You're absolutely right. No one really cares
> > about school selection when they are
> considering
> > political appointees, nominating Fortune 500
> board
> > members and hiring senior executives. So long
> as
> > they worked hard and nailed the interview,
> school
> > choice really doesn't matter.
>
>
> Bullshit. If I see a prospective employee attended
> a joke college or one of those for-profit
> institutions, their resume gets thrown out.

What's an employer from a fortune 500 whatever posting on Saturday nite?
Go to bed. You have Sunday School tomorrow.

Posted by: Nuhh Uhh ()
Date: December 20, 2014 10:11PM

High life Wrote:
> Employer at Fortune 500 job Wrote:
> -----
> > Bad Advice Guy Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > You're absolutely right. No one really cares
> > > about school selection when they are
> > considering
> > > political appointees, nominating Fortune 500
> > board
> > > members and hiring senior executives. So
> long
> > as
> > > they worked hard and nailed the interview,
> > school
> > > choice really doesn't matter.
> >
> >
> > Bullshit. If I see a prospective employee
> attended
> > a joke college or one of those for-profit
> > institutions, their resume gets thrown out.
>
> What's an employer from a fortune 500 whatever
> posting on Saturday nite?
> Go to bed. You have Sunday School tomorrow.

Go to bed. You have to cash your welfare check tommorrow.

Posted by: 70sGal ()
Date: March 11, 2015 06:31PM

I am quite late on this thread but since I found this on the Web, others may, including students applying to Longwood, Radford or the other schools maligned by some who have posted here. Recently I spoke to 2 friends whose daughters graduated from Longwood in the past 10 years. One of the grads is now a school teacher, and the other is a physical therapist. They loved Longwood and their Moms spoke highly of their experiences there. If you are considering one of the Virginia schools being made fun of by some on this thread...don't let the snobs deter you. Do your own research, visit the schools, and talk to current students and recent graduates.

Posted by: Former Lancer ()
Date: March 11, 2015 07:19PM

Longwood, Longwood, Longwood.

Tiny school of about 4,000 in a town that, as a poster above said, makes Blacksburg look like NYC. Farmville is full of a bunch of damn niggers that make you think "let's try that whole segregation thing again." Seriously, the black men in that town prey on co-eds to a degree that makes anybody uncomfortable. The entire cultural and political atmosphere reminds you of small-town South Carolina.

The administration could give a shit about the students that it pretends to serve. Just last year they closed a major entrance to the busiest academic building on campus because they're building an alumni center for a school that nobody had fucking heard of until 15 years ago. Pickings are slim for housing - the two biggest dorms were built in the early 70s and certainly look and smell the part. The apartments are pretty nice though, unless you get a fat kissless virgin RA that uses his position to get people arrested for weed or too much noise (aka having a fucking social life). The cops are even worse - they'll roll up 8 deep for a fucking kegger, because there is literally nothing else going on in Farmville at any given time. Oh, and the dorms don't have wifi either. In 20-fucking-15.

Classes are either easier than anything you took in high school or impossibly hard taught by one of the following: a far-left white privilege twat that feels ashamed of their success, a fresh-off-the boat chink that sounds like the "like a sumbodee" guy, or somebody that's very smart but jaded and disillusioned by the intellectual backwater that is the Farmville community.

The students can be divided into several groups. Plenty of stoners, but they're really cool - actually the nicest and most hard-working of the bunch. You have fat Baptists that resent the world around them, fat atheists that resent the world around them, jocks that literally get away with sexual battery (look up Jason Pimentel), alcoholic Greeks that are notorious for hazing and have more influence over the school than the Board of Visitors and President Reveley combined, and the worst are the PR majors from NoVA that will whore themselves out - figuratively speaking - for any potential opportunity to get their names and faces out there for their own selfish motives. And never mind the girls that are so desperate for a Hampden-Sydney guy that THEY ACTUALLY WENT DOWN THERE AND GAVE HALF THE FUCKING SCHOOL NOROVIRUS WHEN THEY CAME BACK.

Back to the social life. The parties there are as bad as it gets. If you're a guy you might not even get in because the desperate fratstars are just hoping that their rusty water keg beer will get a chick just drunk enough to make out with them for 30 seconds on the dance floor. If you know people that live in the apartments that aren't actually a fucking 10 minute drive from main campus or live in one yourself and have roommates that aren't wack, then you can actually have a decent time. Otherwise, you're shit out of luck until you turn 21. Of course, you'll always have the G-list comedians/musicians/talentless hacks that the programming board, Lancer Productions, hires to come perform for an hour that a group of only 30 autists attend because that's the only time they can be around people that tolerate them outside of class. Instead of spending the hundreds of thousands of dollars that they get every year from the unbelievably corrupt SGA on great music acts that will give you a spring weekend to remember long after your days at LU are gone, they get these nobody pieces of shit that get next to zero attendance and get shit acts for Spring Weekend like Hoodie Allen. Then again, I wouldn't try either after the far-right administration kept Three 6 Mafia away about five years ago (that's on the record as well) in a thinly-veiled fit of racism.

The dining hall is well-known as the worst in Virginia. The only palatable food there is the pizza, and even then they mess that up every other day or don't have enough to meet the demand during lunch and dinner. Oh, it also closes at 8 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and SEVEN FUCKING O'CLOCK on Friday and Saturday. The only places for food within walking distance are the student union, POD (kind of like a Sheetz) and McDonald's, all of which close at midnight. Unless you're willing to shell out $250 a semester for parking that's at least a 10 minute walk to where you live and isn't there half the time, expect to go hungry most nights. Shit, the "convenience" stores all close by 10:00 at the very latest (though to be fair, I wouldn't want to be open too late when the moon crickets come out either).

You get ALL of this, all of it, for the low, low price of the most expensive tuition, room, and board in all of Virginia's public colleges. $2,000 of that cost will go to the worst athletic department in Division I, where virtually no team is a significant player in one of the worst DI conferences. Never mind that they let that Pimentel guy suit up after he was fucking convicted of sexual battery. There is little doubt that this is the worst college in Virginia. In their admissions books and videos, they try to sell a private education at a public price (they've got jokes), small classes that let you interact one-on-one with burnt-out professors that hate your guts, and an infections Lancer spirit that fades away by fall break. Never go there, never send your child there. Ever.

Re: Longwood Univ
Posted by: been there once... ()
Date: March 11, 2015 09:30PM

Facts are facts, and judging by the overall tone of the comments...Longwood sucks. Longwood's the type of school where car-loads of guys from bigger state schools go to visit for the weekend so they can plow some new poon. Maybe score some dank there (or something harder at H-SC) to take back. And then are bored out of their minds by Saturday nite, so they head home to Party U and never visit Farmville again. A few Longwood students survive the boredom and actually graduate.

Tech is still the best value for the money & UVA/W&M are still your best bets for high-level success if you know you've got the stuff. There are a dozen+ other great schools in VA that'll serve anyone well, but none have the pull and name recognition that those three have, especially outside Virginia.

...And then there's Radford, Longwood, and the HBCUs...in no particular order.

Posted by: stds ()
Date: March 11, 2015 09:41PM

standards matter Wrote:
> Longwood was founded on strict Eastern Mennonite
> principals and their exclusivity is on par with
> Duke, Chapel Hill and the Northern Virginia
> Community College, Manassas location.

Duke cheats, UNC Chapel Hill cheats, Uva rapes, VT shoots, Oklahoma is racist, PSU cheats, GWU inflates grades, Florida beats band members to death, Yale graduates stupid presidents who can't spell after completing law school, USCarolina is racist. Big deal if Longwood is in the middle of farmland.

Posted by: wahoowa703 ()
Date: March 11, 2015 10:57PM

The UVa thing was a fucking hoax.

Posted by: I wake up at Longwood University ()
Date: March 13, 2015 02:53PM

Longwood, LOL

Posted by: Rejected we ()
Date: April 02, 2016 04:42PM

If you get rejected to radford you go to longwood

Posted by: cousnelooooooooor ()
Date: April 02, 2016 06:04PM

just go to college and get your degree and go where you like . Do you know how many college are in the united states no one out Virginia know the diffrence between JMU , ODU , Longwood etc. Get over your selves and work hard that is all that matters

Posted by: Teacher999 ()
Date: April 02, 2016 06:34PM

I got rejected by longwood and went to Richard Bland. Then I took classes at NOVA and GMU for a few years part time. Got me an easy-do nothing job at FCPS and now I have only 6 years to retirement. Party! I may be a loser but I live a comfortable life in a modest home with kick-ass health insurance and lots of time off.

Posted by: LW Prof ()
Date: April 02, 2016 10:09PM

Longwood is a fine alternative to college. The kids who come here are the same types who had to go to military boarding school after getting kicked out of their local public high school for criminal activities.

Posted by: Gv3NH ()
Date: April 12, 2016 11:54AM

Gv3NH

Posted by: pMDGV ()
Date: April 12, 2016 11:55AM

pMDGV

Posted by: 75% acceptance rate ()
Date: April 12, 2016 12:06PM

There are several in Virginia with a near 100% acceptance rate if you can't get into Longwood.

Posted by: VUYb9 ()
Date: April 12, 2016 12:49PM

Teacher999 Wrote:
> I got rejected by longwood and went to Richard
> Bland. Then I took classes at NOVA and GMU for a
> few years part time. Got me an easy-do nothing job
> at FCPS and now I have only 6 years to retirement.
> Party! I may be a loser but I live a comfortable
> life in a modest home with kick-ass health
> insurance and lots of time off.

Can't tell if you're trolling or not?
If not, good for you. Seriously.
I've never even heard of Richard Bland and not even interested in googling it!

Posted by: Ygvcx ()
Date: April 12, 2016 07:51PM

VUYb9 Wrote:
> Teacher999 Wrote:
> -----
> > I got rejected by longwood and went to Richard
> > Bland. Then I took classes at NOVA and GMU for
> a
> > few years part time. Got me an easy-do nothing
> job
> > at FCPS and now I have only 6 years to
> retirement.
> > Party! I may be a loser but I live a
> comfortable
> > life in a modest home with kick-ass health
> > insurance and lots of time off.
>
> Can't tell if you're trolling or not?
> If not, good for you. Seriously.
> I've never even heard of Richard Bland and not
> even interested in googling it!

Richard Bland was a little college at the intersection of Franconia Rd and South Van Dorn St in Franconia. I think it was just one building - possibly a trailer.

Posted by: hahGAYYYY ()
Date: April 13, 2016 02:22AM

longwood is for kids who want to pay for the "college experience". NOVA (NVCC) is probably better academically.

Posted by: la de bump ()
Date: April 15, 2016 10:12AM

Posted by: name ()
Date: April 15, 2016 08:30PM

Looking at this I have no idea why Longwood is on my to look into list. Probably because it oftered multiple sciences and teaching and thats what im interested in. haha Maybe I should remove it from colleges in interested in. I think Im gonna do that.

Posted by: ePPwG ()
Date: April 16, 2016 01:06PM

ePPwG

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.