HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Government shutdown could devastate Fairfax - Looming Sept. 30 funding cutoff
Posted by: Govt Epic Fail ()
Date: September 07, 2013 03:25AM

Government shutdown could devastate Fairfax, its neighbors
Looming Sept. 30 funding cutoff could devastate the region
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130906/OPINION/130909481/1065/government-shutdown-could-devastate-fairfax-its-neighbors&template=fairfaxTimes

When Congress reconvenes on Monday, it will have two big-ticket items to deal with. Most pressing is determining how to best deal with Syrian dictator Bashar Al-Assad without doing irreparable damage to our country.

Once that’s resolved, both chambers will take up a continuing resolution to fund the federal government, which is currently slated for shutdown after Sept. 30.

Some conservatives — spotlight-craving Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.) among them — favor attaching a provision that will dice funding for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to the continuing resolution.

Shorter version: These members of the GOP say either kill the Affordable Care Act — Obamacare — or shut down the government trying.

A government shutdown, of course, means thousands of Virginians will see their income shrink, their savings dwindle and public services put on hold. These are some of the same Virginians who still are getting back on their feet from an 11-day furlough. They’re the same residents who, every time a government shutdown looms, must worry about whether they can pay their mortgage and put food on their tables.

“That’s the battle that’s going on in my party. There are some that are saying, ‘shut it down!’” U.S. Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Dist. 10) said last month. “ … If we shut the government down, who’s going to fund the [Veteran Affairs] Hospital? Who’s going to fund the veteran who doesn’t have a leg? Who’s going to fund the FBI who’s working on a counter-terrorism case? Who’s going to fund cancer research? … ”

Like Wolf, there are thankfully other level-headed Republicans who realize the thorough stupidity in the destroy-Obamacare-at-all-cost mindset. Given President Barack Obama would refuse to sign something that crushes his legacy achievement, a shutdown could be pinned largely on the GOP. It’s just bad politics.

But let’s forget politics. That’s secondary. Lawmakers in Washington, D.C., appear oblivious to the fact that shutdowns affect people’s lives — couples’ retirements, children’s college funds and enhanced public infrastructure.

More broadly, a government shutdown would severely hamper the gradually-improving national and regional economy.

Cruz and Paul say a fight over gutting Obamacare is worth it, because the health care law will eventually devastate the country’s finances and inhibit economic growth. No one can say who is wrong and who is right. The law is still being implemented, and there are still too many moving parts to accurately judge.

The success or failure of Obamacare on a national level isn’t the issue — again, because it’s too early to grade. The issue is the selfish, uncompromising approach too many politicians have embraced. The consequences have become an afterthought.

“A lot of Republicans seem to believe that if they can gum up the works and make this law fail, they’ll somehow be sticking it to me,” President Obama said in his weekly address in late August. “But they’d just be sticking it to you.”

“Some even say that if you call their office with questions about the law, they’ll refuse to help,” Obama continued. “Call me old-fashioned — but that’s lousy constituent service. And it’s not what you deserve.”

These government shutdown conversations have become nothing short of repugnant. Too many of our neighbors are feeling like puppets, with entitled lawmakers wearing flag lapel pins pulling the strings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Government shutdown could devastate Fairfax - Looming Sept. 30 funding cutoff
Posted by: Lolz ()
Date: September 07, 2013 12:37PM

Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!

Re: Government shutdown could devastate Fairfax - Looming Sept. 30 funding cutoff
Posted by: Too Big To Fail? ()
Date: September 07, 2013 12:57PM

Let it come crashing down. It will be fun to see Sharon Bulova, Tammy Kaufax and Ed Long in a state of abject panic.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: September 07, 2013 02:52PM

Another budget deadline looming?
Attachments:
ffu notthisshitagain.jpg

Posted by: Tired of the Tea Party ()
Date: September 08, 2013 02:42PM

Too Big To Fail? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let it come crashing down. It will be fun to see
> Sharon Bulova, Tammy Kaufax and Ed Long in a state
> of abject panic.

Grow up. You fail to recognize the consequences of
such a scenario for a great many people, likely including yourself--in one way or another.

Posted by: uiac ()
Date: September 08, 2013 02:55PM

All Obama has to do is admit the error of his ways and ask the Senate to defund/repeal Obamacare.

Posted by: Let it fall ()
Date: September 08, 2013 03:07PM

Devastation of Fairfax is a good thing, maybe they will cut funds to the book burning squad.

Obamacare is the issueMore News
Posted by: Keith Ryan ()
Date: September 19, 2013 04:53AM

Obamacare is the issue
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130913/OPINION/130919563/1065/obamacare-is-the-issue&template=fairfaxTimes

I read with interest your opinion article regarding the upcoming funding showdown for the federal government. The article states some important facts, but leaves others out.

Obamacare already has shown to be more costly than proposed, even though President Barack Obama promised it would save billions in our economy, “bend down the cost curve,” reduce premiums by an average of $2,500, and give all Americans access to health care. None of these promises is true. Yes, the law is still being implemented and there are (far) too many moving parts — over 30,000 additional pages of regulations in addition to the 2,700 pages in the law — as well as over 150 new agencies or bureaus to oversee the administration of the law. Sound manageable? Who is going to pay for this? And 3,000 government bureaucrats will have access to your private health records.

The facts today, early in the law’s implementation (which is behind schedule after three years), are that costs will only continue to increase as with all entitlement programs and the law will be far too complex to manage. It’s not “too early to grade”; it has already failed to meet what was promised. We’re now “finding out what’s in the law after it was passed,” as stated by former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. The federal government is not proficient at managing large entitlement programs; past performance proves this.

It should be obvious to all Americans that this law — passed late at night with Republicans literally locked out of negotiations, a “selfish, uncompromising approach” by Democrats — will cost all of us dearly in taxes and pass-through medical costs from our hard-earned pay. The president is adept at not compromising and then blaming Republicans. The sequestration was proposed by him; we are $16 trillion in debt; unemployment is not improving; gas prices remain high, so why does it make sense to implement a program that will certainly grow in complexity and cost to our economy?

A long-term outlook and focus on American liberty is needed. Obamacare is the issue. Sometimes the obvious is hard to see.

Posted by: Obama Shutdown ()
Date: September 19, 2013 09:30AM

Obama would rather shut down the government than end his train-wreck of a mess called Obamacare. Why does he insist on shoving it down the throat of America, knowing full well that most Americans oppose it?

Posted by: Flip the Switch ()
Date: September 19, 2013 09:46AM

Flip the switch, shut it down.

Who will notice?

Posted by: Flip Sides of Same Coin ()
Date: September 19, 2013 10:13AM

What Republicans wanted wasn't much different. They still would've crammed down the insurance mandate on everyone. They opposed taxes in Obamacare but they would've imposed the same taxes elsewhere to fund the program. They wanted to allow big firms to sell the same insurance across state lines to erode states' regulation of insurance and reduce competition.

Posted by: Just do it ()
Date: September 19, 2013 10:34AM

Flip the Switch Wrote:
> Flip the switch, shut it down.
>
> Who will notice?

I agree, fuck it, Shut it down.

Posted by: Fed ()
Date: September 19, 2013 11:12AM

Why? Who's not going to get paid? We got a 3-week paid vaca in '95 and contractors still went in, did nothing and got paid since the money for them was already allocated. It's not like a furlough.

Posted by: Countdown to Shutdown ()
Date: September 19, 2013 12:18PM

11 days left and counting.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: September 19, 2013 12:22PM

Tired of the Tea Party Wrote:
> Too Big To Fail? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Let it come crashing down. It will be fun to
> see
> > Sharon Bulova, Tammy Kaufax and Ed Long in a
> state
> > of abject panic.
>
>
> Grow up. You fail to recognize the consequences
> of
> such a scenario for a great many people, likely
> including yourself--in one way or another.

A quick commute to our NON-government jobs.

Posted by: If only forever... ()
Date: September 19, 2013 12:46PM

Just do it Wrote:
> Flip the Switch Wrote:
> -----
> > Flip the switch, shut it down.
> >
> > Who will notice?
>
>
> I agree, fuck it, Shut it down.

I third the idea. Shut the fucker down.

Posted by: Again? ()
Date: September 19, 2013 01:11PM

Oh noes. Yet another the sky is falling political BS event.

As always, it (1) likely won't happen, and (2) if it does it will have trivial practical effect just like the oh so scary, cataclysmic.... SEQUESTER (cue dramatic music).

Shut it down. Prove to the country, yet again, that both sides are idiots and how little it matters beyond some orchestrated inconvenience which will be transparently so and just piss them off.

Posted by: liberal logic 27 ()
Date: September 19, 2013 01:13PM

Again? Wrote:
> Shut it down. Prove to the country, yet again,
> that both sides are idiots and how little it
> matters beyond some orchestrated inconvenience
> which will be transparently so and just piss them
> off.

Cruz folded like a deck chair on the Titanic. It's not going to happen.

Posted by: tvp9P ()
Date: September 19, 2013 01:39PM

Leave it to the repubs to not only obstruct, which is the only thing they know, but to also include a completely unrelated topic into the fold.

Well done repubs, it is the equivalent of throwing a temper-tantrum.

Just so everyone understands:

The health care act passed through our government through voting + was deemed fine by the supreme court and will be law. The repubs have spent ALL their time trying to fuck it up = 41 FAILED votes to stop it.........just a clueless party unwilling to accept reality.

Posted by: matt 703 ()
Date: September 19, 2013 01:46PM

@tvp9P,

Obama straight up lied his ass off the whole time he was campaigning for this big piece of garbage. Republicans fought it from the beginning and nothing has changed. What do you expect them to do, just give up what they believe in? How do you think their constituents would feel about that? Also, public opinion is very low on Obamacare.

Posted by: Lazy Feds ()
Date: September 19, 2013 02:01PM

I say shut this fucker down, fire everyone and start over.Lets shut the fucker Down!!
It's not like any work is getting done as it is, Fuck it!!

Posted by: Again? ()
Date: September 19, 2013 02:06PM

liberal logic 27 Wrote:
> Again? Wrote:
> -----
> > Shut it down. Prove to the country, yet again,
> > that both sides are idiots and how little it
> > matters beyond some orchestrated inconvenience
> > which will be transparently so and just piss
> them
> > off.
>
> Cruz folded like a deck chair on the Titanic.
> It's not going to happen.

See (1).

Posted by: svennestle ()
Date: September 19, 2013 11:11PM

your soooo stupid.

a) they are still getting anual wage

b) they are at the beach dumb ass

Posted by: Government Sandcrab ()
Date: September 19, 2013 11:31PM

Whats the sweat? Many things are always funded no matter what, Social Security, Military retirement, Troops pay, And Our Sandcrab Fed retirement too.

So the Republicans will put ot a budget in the house that does not have Obamacare in it, Lets see thats more then half the house..So What, no shutdown... Oh well Obama will not sign it.. 1 against the majority.. OK then shut the Fed Govt down and...Get It Stright

ITS OBAMAS FAULT!

Posted by: IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ()
Date: September 22, 2013 05:10PM

svennestle Wrote:
> your soooo stupid.
>
> a) they are still getting anual wage
>
> b) they are at the beach dumb ass

Uh no.

Posted by: grovetontiger ()
Date: September 22, 2013 08:33PM

Sorry to correct you but it DOES effect someone, ME. I have lost 11 days of pay due to the sequestration, that is a full paycheck. I am single, live alone, have a house payment, car, gas, insurance, phone, cable, elec, food, etc to pay each month. I have not gotten any raise, step or cost of living in 3 years, but you can dam well believe all those things I just mentioned went up!

Now you say shut us down? Shutting the government down DOES not effect congress, or the Senate. It effects me, the staff level, your next door neighbor. It also effects the food cart on the corner, and the little mom and pop I get my morning coffee from. US, the little people are the ones a shut down and sequestration hurt.

So please, don't shut us down, demand the idiots on the hill and the president stop acting like children and sit down and work this crap out.

Posted by: Come on... ()
Date: September 22, 2013 08:54PM

grovetontiger Wrote:
> Sorry to correct you but it DOES effect someone,
> ME. I have lost 11 days of pay due to the
> sequestration, that is a full paycheck. I am
> single, live alone, have a house payment, car,
> gas, insurance, phone, cable, elec, food, etc to
> pay each month. I have not gotten any raise, step
> or cost of living in 3 years, but you can dam well
> believe all those things I just mentioned went
> up!
>
> Now you say shut us down? Shutting the government
> down DOES not effect congress, or the Senate. It
> effects me, the staff level, your next door
> neighbor. It also effects the food cart on the
> corner, and the little mom and pop I get my
> morning coffee from. US, the little people are
> the ones a shut down and sequestration hurt.
>
> So please, don't shut us down, demand the idiots
> on the hill and the president stop acting like
> children and sit down and work this crap out.

One word for you: Savings.

Be lucky you have a job. If you were in the private sector, you would probably just be fired and left to find another job. As government employees, 11 days of furlough or a "shutdown" (in which we would still get paid more than likely) is a very minor inconvenience compared to the thousands that lose their jobs each year and don't get a paycheck for MONTHS!

Posted by: Another self entitled asshole ()
Date: September 22, 2013 09:03PM

grovetontiger Wrote:
> up!
>
>

Well,at least you ain't dead.
Big fuckin crybaby. There are others who don't have anything. Stop being self centered and help others less fortunate.

Posted by: CHILL ()
Date: September 22, 2013 09:17PM

This petty fighting is total BS. Learn to get the hell along. They don't care they still get paid. They wonder why our economy is in shambles. Grow the F**k up.

Posted by: Govt Sandcrab ()
Date: September 22, 2013 10:36PM

This is going to come down if Harry Reid cant get the vote in the Senate to fund the budget with Obama Care in a week.

This year its a different game, you see packets are being mailed out to people explaining the Obamacare law. A year ago people would be pissed at the GOP, today 60% support getting rid of Obamacare too many people have had huge medical insurance premium increases and there have been job losses and jobs converted from full to part time.

What this means is if Harry Reid cant stop it in the Senate, it will happen and this time the GOP will dig in and let everybody in the USA know its Obamas fault so we will see what happens this week.

If Reid gets his votes the budget is funded fully with Obama care in it as the Senate can add it back in.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: September 23, 2013 04:58PM

I vote Shut it down or cut all the wastefull spending. I read every day about congress giving money to groups.

Posted by: son of who cares ()
Date: September 23, 2013 05:03PM

who cares Wrote:
> I vote Shut it down or cut all the wastefull
> spending. I read every day about congress giving
> money to groups.

+1 (no one will notice if it shuts down)

Posted by: What's going to happen? ()
Date: September 23, 2013 05:47PM

Raymond Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddmore: The dead rising from the grave!
Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Attachments:
end-of-the-world-funny-quotes.jpg

Posted by: Govt Sandcrab ()
Date: September 23, 2013 09:47PM

I will call it. No Shutdown at least over Obama Care too many Senators up for reelection next year.

They will let Obama Care "Fester" and thus more support from the people will be coming, and next year things will be defered until after the Nov 2014 elections..

Meanwhile the debate will go on about raising the debt ceiling some Big O and the dems can keep spending up for votes. But they will work that out with some cuts here and there.

Next year Obama Care will be a big issue, after people get a taste of the O Care taxes if they dont have it, and yes the cost for very basic insurance. the state exchanges open Oct 1st.

I bet you are not going to see people signing up in droves.. Why not.? Average families 35 -45 K all over this country are going to opp out and pay the tax as the cheapest family plane will be several hundred a month and thats a new car payment for so many folks.

FXCO and the DC area and the salarys of many here create a "Emerald City' stright out of OZ compared to the majority of places in the USA.

Posted by: From Da Hood -- Medical ()
Date: September 24, 2013 01:11AM

Govt Sandcrab Wrote:
> I will call it. No Shutdown at least over Obama
> Care too many Senators up for reelection next
> year.
>
> They will let Obama Care "Fester" and thus more
> support from the people will be coming, and next
> year things will be defered until after the Nov
> 2014 elections..
>
> Meanwhile the debate will go on about raising the
> debt ceiling some Big O and the dems can keep
> spending up for votes. But they will work that out
> with some cuts here and there.
>
> Next year Obama Care will be a big issue, after
> people get a taste of the O Care taxes if they
> dont have it, and yes the cost for very basic
> insurance. the state exchanges open Oct 1st.
>
> I bet you are not going to see people signing up
> in droves.. Why not.? Average families 35 -45 K
> all over this country are going to opp out and pay
> the tax as the cheapest family plane will be
> several hundred a month and thats a new car
> payment for so many folks.
>
> FXCO and the DC area and the salarys of many here
> create a "Emerald City' stright out of OZ compared
> to the majority of places in the USA.

I think your view is about spot-on. It will be sad that we'll have to keep dragging along through the idea of the Affordable Care Act dangling in front of a bunch of members on Capitol hill, though. I'd love to see it get the deep 6 - ASAP. There are bigger items to focus on and those on the hill should get more focused on other pressing issues.

Posted by: More work to do... ()
Date: September 24, 2013 08:16AM

The one thing that Obamacare covers is Mental Health coverage. That's the one good/big thing I see going for it. All these shootings, kidnappings, etc. are related to untreated/unreported mental illness. Currently if people have a mental illness and its a pre-existing condition, then they usually get turned down for coverage. Under Obamacare, the bill has provisions to allow for coverage of these individuals.

So I say, don't kill the bill. Work on it some more.

Posted by: anonymous943850 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 08:37AM

grovetontiger Wrote:
> up!
>
>

Dear Lord, are you in for a rude awakening. I would pay to be there when it happens, if that'll help with your bills.

Posted by: gubba ment worker ()
Date: September 24, 2013 08:40AM

As much as I like to see it so I get my days off it's not going to happen.

A CR will be passed Friday or Saturday. Just the typical last second BS again for Congress.

Posted by: gubba ment worker ()
Date: September 24, 2013 08:44AM

Govt Sandcrab Wrote:
> I will call it. No Shutdown at least over Obama
> Care too many Senators up for reelection next
> year.

This part from Sandcrab is true. Now, here is the other part that will also be true........Senators up for re-election will get RE-ELECTED because the American voter will just re-elect the same idiot rather than send them packing and ushering in a new person who could, and this is a long shot to say it, POSSIBLY FIX PROBLEMS.

This is not negatism........just a fact!!!!

Posted by: Repent!!! ()
Date: September 24, 2013 07:44PM

Attachments:
the-end-is-near.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.