HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Centreville, Fairfax, & Chantilly Neighborhoods
Posted by: NOVA newbie ()
Date: January 30, 2011 03:48PM

Hi,

I came here to get some information about Chantilly, Fairfax, and Centreville. Realtors can't offer you any information these days about neighborhoods due to the fear of having a discrimination lawsuit..."the fear of swaying." So, I'm left to researching information on my own. Please be honest and straight up with me before I relocate to Fairfax County. I need to know the following:

What neighborhooods should I avoid in Chantilly, Centreville, and in Fairfax? Basically, where do most of the crime occur in these areas?

What's up with Brookfield Elementary School in Chantilly? Some folks mentioned that it's bad while others say that it's an okay school.

What elementary schools should I avoid in Chantilly, Centreville, and in Fairfax?

What communities would you recommend to a family with young children?

What school pyramid is considered the best (test scores, student life, extra-curricular activities, crime/safety, parental involvement, teachers, etc.)....Westfield, Chantilly, Fairfax, or Centreville? Or are they all about the same?

Where could I go to get crime reports of Fairfax County?

How are race relations? Do folks of different ethnicities get a long with each other? Are people open to diversity in regards to religion, race, culture, etc.?

Are people in NOVA generally more progressive or conservative? I'm not talking about how you vote. I'm talking about how do you live? Would I have to deal with religious bible thumpers or are people more open to those who are not religious.

I'm not looking for the snobbish, Stafford Wives type of neighborhood. However, I don't want to live near the ghetto-fabulous types or near the backwards redneck types of individuals either.

By the way, share any information about Chantilly, Centreville, or Fairfax that may be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Centreville, Fairfax, & Chantilly Neighborhoods
Posted by: 50287100 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 04:43PM

You could probably get a lot more useful information if you were a little more specific--Chantilly, Centreville, and Fairfax could encompass a huge area with different social and economic dynamics. Example...Hispanics in Centreville. Not saying anything bad about them, but the dynamic there between the Hispanic population and the rest is much different than in the Chantilly-Westfield area.

Anyway, as far as Brookfield is concerned, I have numerous friends that went there. I think where "Brookfield" gets a bad rap is the fact that it's an older neighborhood with cheaper housing and a higher non-white population than Greenbriar or Poplar Tree. If you're in the Chantilly HS pyramid, non of the schools can be considered "bad." They're all fine, even Brookfield as far as I've ever heard.

And don't worry about "bible thumpers"...yeah there will be some everywhere, but this is NoVA, not Southwest VA. The deathly grip of extremist conservative lunacy doesn't have the power here as farther south. The right-left wing split is pretty even right now, politics wise.

Posted by: 00178205 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 04:52PM

Biggest concern will be the violent, toxic, and hateful influence of the
Limousine-liberal extremists. But in the end, for all the noisy and venomous rhetoric they spew, they live exactly like everyone else does.

Posted by: Lifelong Centreville Resident ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:17PM

You should look into the Sully Station neighborhood in Centreville. Westfield is a great High School, despite all of the negative things you will read about it on here (don't get me wrong, there are some bad kids there, but it's not as bad as FFXU makes it out to be).

Posted by: Greenbriar ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:27PM

What's your price range?? I've lived in Greenbriar for the last 18 years, and I would describe it as strictly middle class, without a high population of any of the undesirable people/things you mentioned. The community is nice, it is visually appealing with many more trees and parks than the surrounding neighborhoods. It also has 2 elem. schools and a pool. There are smaller houses and bigger ones too, so it fits a lot of price ranges while still not attracting the "ghetto" or "redneck" crowds.

Posted by: Whobe ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:31PM

There really is not a whole different between these 3 areas. It's all suburbia. Centreville has more Townhouses, Chantilly is mostly newer (post 1990's) homes and a little further out, Fairfax has more older/established neighborhoods mixed with newer McMansions and is closer to everything.
How much you make is probably going to determine where you're going to live.

Posted by: Rute Boye ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:58PM

My guess is that the following website contains more of the type of info you're looking for:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/

Posted by: ouyu ()
Date: January 30, 2011 10:42PM

I think you should go by the rating on Great Schools and decide which place you want to move into.

This is NoVa, so overall its pretty balanced, so I would focus more on school ratings.

Good Luck

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.