HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Another Police Shooting in Fairfax Co.(West Springfield)
Posted by: FCPD ()
Date: September 05, 2013 07:30AM

FCPD has a longstanding policy of limiting negotiations to 45 minutes, after which they are authorized and required to terminate negotiations "with extreme prejudice". After all, the coffee and donuts are not getting any fresher, and the police need to get back on traffic duty to meet their revenue-generation quotas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fuck shit ()
Date: September 05, 2013 11:35AM

Cops make EVERY situation worse.

Posted by: fuck shit ()

Posted by: fuck shit fuck ()

Posted by: fuck shit fuck ()

Posted by: Mr GFR ()
Date: September 05, 2013 12:27PM

FCPD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FCPD has a longstanding policy of limiting
> negotiations to 45 minutes, after which they are
> authorized and required to terminate negotiations
> "with extreme prejudice". After all, the coffee
> and donuts are not getting any fresher, and the
> police need to get back on traffic duty to meet
> their revenue-generation quotas.

I hear about how all the FCPD does is write tickets to generate revenue. I see it in threads over and over again. Does anybody know how much money the county receives from all these tickets? I am sure the real amount has to be somewhere. I am sure somebody here knows where to look. Would be interesting to see what the figure is.

Posted by: liberal logic 27 ()
Date: September 05, 2013 12:59PM

Mr GFR Wrote:

> I hear about how all the FCPD does is write
> tickets to generate revenue. I see it in threads
> over and over again. Does anybody know how much
> money the county receives from all these tickets?
> I am sure the real amount has to be somewhere. I
> am sure somebody here knows where to look. Would
> be interesting to see what the figure is.

Its not as easy to figure out as you might think for the money they actually get. Some people dont pay, some tickets get thrown out, some judges adjust the fine amount, even people that are paying can get extended times too ect.

That said its an impressive amount. 2k+ officers expected to write 20+ tickets a month with the motorcycle divisions expected to write 40+ a month and youre talking upwards of 50K tickets every month. Even at an average ticket cost of 20 dollars thats a million dollars a month and thats an extremely low estimate. The average ticket is probably around 50 dollars is not higher so probably somewhere between 5 to 10 million a month. If they arent bringing in 100 million or more a year theyre getting within spitting distance.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: September 05, 2013 01:47PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 10:48PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Gilligans Island ()
Date: September 05, 2013 03:00PM

I continued listening to the audio archive of the scanner, though have not yet finished hearing what transpired in the 50+ minutes after he was shot.

At one point, an officer relayed that the GF said Geer told her he had a gun and was 45 seconds away from blowing his brains out. Geer's friend also confirmed he had a gun. The dispatcher said something like, "Suicide by Cop"... I actually sensed this intel was the turning point that day.

At this point, two k-9 units were sent and evenutally directed to take position in the rear of the property. Much of the exchanges are about officers and their positions... they also request a hostage negotiator, etc.

At one point, you hear a officer "confirm that we still have direct contact with him; 740 bravo has him at gunpoint he has his hands up in the air but he is still inside the house... he says if anyone comes in through the back door he is going to escalate so don't try to enter the back door..." Another officer says, "we just want to get perimeter of backside, no entry at this point..."

At one point you hear an officer provide an update on the types of known guns in the house, according to the GF--2 handguns, a shot gun and a semi-automatic, which he referenced today.

At one point you hear an officer state, "subject has advised he has a gun in close proximity to him"

And later I heard... [undecipherable] ..."lower waistband on his back."

One officer asks: "has the GF stated has he been drinking?" Response: she is not sure, he is a alcoholic, and has started drinking more often again now that she has told him she would be leaving...

You hear one officer approximately state, "we have the front covered if he goes toward the bravo side we are going to take him, if he goes to the delta side he is all yours."

And finally... "he's down inside the house."
and
"open door... he's hit... door's closed... we don't know whether he's moving around or not..."

and some immediate confusion

"have rescue staged at top of street" and "we don't know the situation inside the residence"... and "we don't know whether he initiated that and shot himself"... and "shot was from an officer--he did not fire..."

and then they begin trying to make contact with him.

..."trying to reach him by phone if not successful were going to make a PA announcement..." and "If you make a pa announcement, his name is John."

You later here them state he's not answering the landline or his cell.

I dozed off to sleep at some point last night so I haven't heard it in its entirety yet.

I hope this helps fill in so many of the gaps.

Posted by: svennestle ()
Date: September 05, 2013 04:12PM

"Cop shot dude in his house when he opened the door. Now they just let him die."

they say the officers were threatened with a fire arm

i hope they did shoot him.

he's an enemy combatant at that stage, if he's pointing weapons at the police.

only thing is being a relationship issue they should have known he'd be acting crazy and gave him time to calm down. but for all we know he threated the girlfriend or they did give him time.

i'm sick of them going soft on marauders (ie, armed bank robbers). stupid

r.i.p. but don't come back, if your using weapons to get what you want

Date: September 06, 2013 01:39AM

liberal logic 27 Wrote:

> Its not as easy to figure out as you might think
> for the money they actually get. Some people dont
> pay, some tickets get thrown out, some judges
> adjust the fine amount, even people that are
> paying can get extended times too ect.

Yes...You are correct.... but this has nothing to do with the actual amount of money the county gets each year form tickets. At some point the money that is collected is split up and the county gets their share. This figure is out there somewhere.

> That said its an impressive amount. 2k+ officers
> expected to write 20+ tickets a month with the
> motorcycle divisions expected to write 40+ a month
> and youre talking upwards of 50K tickets every
> month.

Um..first the Fairfax County Police only has about 1300 officers, not 2000 plus. Of the roughly 1300, only about 700 officers are patrol officers. 20 tickets a month? Last time I had to sit in traffic court, most officers had just a few tickets but a couple officers seemed to have a lot so I guess it evens out.

> Even at an average ticket cost of 20
> dollars thats a million dollars a month and thats
> an extremely low estimate. The average ticket is
> probably around 50 dollars is not higher so
> probably somewhere between 5 to 10 million a
> month. If they arent bringing in 100 million or
> more a year theyre getting within spitting
> distance.

Um..you do know the county does not get the whole amount of the fines? They only get a percentage of the actual fines.

SO.. I would really like to know the actual dollar amount turned over to the county from the court system resulting from traffic fines collected. The amount has to be somewhere in the court or county annual reports.

Posted by: liberal logic 27 ()
Date: September 06, 2013 02:56AM

Mr GFR Wrote:

> Um..first the Fairfax County Police only has about
> 1300 officers, not 2000 plus. Of the roughly 1300,
> only about 700 officers are patrol officers. 20
> tickets a month? Last time I had to sit in traffic
> court, most officers had just a few tickets but a
> couple officers seemed to have a lot so I guess it
> evens out.

You really think officers have 1 traffic court day a month? In 2011 the traffic division alone wrote over 11k tickets.

Its very standard knowledge that police in NOVA are expected to write 20+ tickets a month to meet their quota, if youre motorcycle is over 40 since thats all they do. If they have to stand out on the corner writing expired tag or inspection tickets they do, especially in Vienna. In 2011 they issued almost 25k tickets or over 2k a month so you can do the math for how that breaks down per officer.

Yes I understand the money gets split up some, the point was its a huge pot of revenue theyre generating. That doesnt even count the tickets or revenue from inspecting semis or the over 40k parking tickets on top of that. Its by far and away what they do the most of. Its all in their annual reports they release every year, their closure rates on a lot of crimes arent very good either for how light the workload is for most crimes. How do you only close 73% of bank robbberies, its all on video.

Posted by: Well... ()
Date: September 07, 2013 03:38AM

fuck shit fuck Wrote:
> Cops make EVERY situation worse.

Not this time. LOL

Posted by: facepalm ()
Date: September 07, 2013 09:24PM

incorrect assumption Wrote:
> I used to live in a townhouse community off of the
> parkway near Rolling Road.
>
> About 3 years ago, a neighbor several houses away
> was having some sort of mental breakdown.
>
> The cops were called and I am not kidding --they
> sent the SWAT team in. We are talking full gear,
> commandos, like we would see when we invade Syria
> next week.
>
> The old guy could not have been less physically
> threatening-no weapon. He ended up in the back
> yard of his house which backs up to woods-so he
> was behind the houses. The SWAT guys tackled the
> guy--I am shocked he wasn't killed just by the
> sheer force.
>
> My point is this, I saw first hand how nutty these
> FCPD guys are.
>
> Go FOIA the times the chopper is called out and
> for the stupid reasons. Car thefts, kids breaking
> into schools.
>
> THEY HAVE TOO MANY EXPENSIVE TOYS provided by the
> taxpayers and feel compelled to use them.
>
> THEY HAVE ZERO...repeat ZERO common sense.

You have no idea what was said in the phone call that got the police response. Ever hear of a mental breakdown by the slang term "going postal"? Officers are protecting themselves

Posted by: MONDAY AN QB ()
Date: September 07, 2013 09:29PM

Have to love all the Monday morning quarterbacks who would shit their pants if ever put in a stressful situation. They have all the answers. Get over it.

Posted by: Liberal Logic 27 ()
Date: September 07, 2013 09:40PM

MONDAY AN QB Wrote:
> Have to love all the Monday morning quarterbacks
> who would shit their pants if ever put in a
> stressful situation.

You mean like the cop who killed the guy for no reason?

Posted by: What??? ()
Date: September 12, 2013 05:22PM

Tough One Wrote:
> This is really scary. While I generally have been
> impressed with FCPD, this and the other case
> involving the shooting of a gambling suspect, are
> reminders that more safeguards need to be put into
> place.
>
> For this case, its time for the Commonwealth
> Attorney of Virginia, along with prosecutors from
> other jurisdictions to conduct this investigation.
> This really sucks.

How so? The guy had a gun on the staircase behind him and was talking crazy to the police. They shot him. Problem solved. Stupid people like this deserved to be shot. No wonder his common-law wife was leaving his ass.

On a side note, here's something to cheer you up...

A woman calls 911 saying she can't unlock herself out of her car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMSKQJGK24

Posted by: Whysoquiet ()
Date: September 12, 2013 05:27PM

From the fairfax connection....

#On Aug. 29, another civilian was shot to death in a situation that, on the face of it, did not justify the use of lethal force. Mr. John Geer was shot to death standing in the doorway of his home with no visible weapon according to reports from his father and neighbors.

#Once again, the police are silent on what happened. The story is all too familiar. Several men armed with the weapons of war, in full battle gear, shout orders at a suspect and shoot the person to death. It has all the feel of a military strike, not civilian law enforcement protecting the public. Lethal force seems almost standard procedure, not the last resort it should be. Consider:

#police are called to the scene by someone reporting a domestic disturbance and a man who may have a gun;

#Mr. Geer has no record of violence and no weapons are visible, according to witnesses promptly ordered to leave the area—for their safety presumably;

#the Fairfax County PD SWAT officers talk to and shout orders to the lone man standing in his doorway in shorts to come outside. He does not and shots are fired by an officer police refuse to identify. The suspect is quite dead when police ram their way into his home;

#then, police throw the shroud of secrecy over the scene and the story of what happened. There is no official public report, no explanation by FCPD of what led to the shooting, and the officer’s name is not disclosed.

#Witnesses and neighbors who spoke to the press say they do not understand why it was necessary to shoot Mr. Geer. He wasn’t armed, had never been a problem and certainly posed no threat to the heavily armed officers. (In fact, a detective said a gun was found in a holster some distance from where he stood.)

#What happened next is also all too familiar. The police say the shooter is on administrative leave pending an investigation by … his fellow officers. In the 71-year history of the FCPD, there has never been independent investigation or review by a third party of killings by FCPD officers in the line of duty. And, in the 71 years, no shooter has ever been charged with, much less convicted of, any wrongdoing. I outlined several other recent, troubling cases in a prior column.

#The Virginia Citizens Coalition for Police Accountability has long advocated creation of a Citizens Review Board of the sort working in over 125 large jurisdictions around the country. Such boards in fact serve both the public interest and the police officers in getting at the truth. It likely would be a rare case when such review turned up wrongdoing by our otherwise well-trained corps. It would be healthy for officers to understand that as public servants paid by the citizens, they are accountable to the public, especially when they use lethal force.

#A few years ago, Fairfax Board of Supervisors Chairman Sharon Bulova said, “I look forward to working with the chief to create a Citizen Review Board in Fairfax County.” Supervisors John Foust and Penny Gross also expressed support for civilian review. Hunter Mill Supervisor Hudgins regrettably refused to respond when asked, according to CCPA. The initiative went nowhere. What is the board afraid of? Action by the supervisors to protect the public and stop putting the county police above the law is long overdue.

Date: September 12, 2013 06:19PM

Whysoquiet Wrote:
> From the fairfax connection....
>
> #On Aug. 29, another civilian was shot to death in
> a situation that, on the face of it, did not
> justify the use of lethal force. Mr. John Geer was
> shot to death standing in the doorway of his home
> with no visible weapon according to reports from
> his father and neighbors.

Go listen to the audio above, he had the gun on the staircase behind him and the door and had threatened to use it. Watch the video, they tried to get him out of the house, and then he flinched to fast and they shot him. Good riddance!

Posted by: Liberal Logic 28 ()
Date: September 12, 2013 08:18PM

Well... Wrote:
> Whysoquiet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > From the fairfax connection....
> >
> > #On Aug. 29, another civilian was shot to death
> in
> > a situation that, on the face of it, did not
> > justify the use of lethal force. Mr. John Geer
> was
> > shot to death standing in the doorway of his
> home
> > with no visible weapon according to reports
> from
> > his father and neighbors.
>
> Go listen to the audio above, he had the gun on
> the staircase behind him and the door and had
> threatened to use it. Watch the video, they tried
> to get him out of the house, and then he flinched
> to fast and they shot him. Good riddance!

Youre an idiot. He didnt have a gun on him. He couldnt even reach it. They shot him by accident or for the hell of it this is nothing but a cover story.

They dont fire a single shot from a hand gun then let him retreat TOWARD the weapon without firing again if they shot because they thought he was pulling a gun.

Date: September 13, 2013 02:40PM

I really hate it when people make shit up or get the facts wrong and then try to pass them off as what happened. Lets address each of the listed points

Whysoquiet Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> #On Aug. 29, another civilian was shot to death in
> a situation that, on the face of it, did not
> justify the use of lethal force. Mr. John Geer was
> shot to death standing in the doorway of his home
> with no visible weapon according to reports from
> his father and neighbors.

This appears correct on the face of it. However this is based upon his father and a few witnesses that do not have all the information or did not see everything. I am NOT suggesting this was a good shooting, just the people making these statements do not have complete information to say IF this was justifiable or not.

> #Once again, the police are silent on what
> happened.

Yes..its called its under investigation. They do not release everything until they have completed the investigation. It takes time to do. Its the same thing for every investigation. Examples would be the 16yo Mclean HS student found dead or the guy that killed his wife threw her in the river. These are just 2 recent cases of people unhappy about the police not releasing information on the time line the cry babies want.

> Several men armed with the weapons of war, in full battle
> gear, shout orders at a suspect and shoot the
> person to death. It has all the feel of a military
> strike, not civilian law enforcement protecting
> the public. Lethal force seems almost standard
> procedure, not the last resort it should be.
> Consider:

Not sure what this idiot considers "full battle gear and weapons of war". A patrol officer wearing a standard patrol uniform with his standard hand gun? OK, my bad, he is right. A handgun is an evil weapon of war. The only officers at the event prior to the guy being shot in a non standard uniform was the K9 officers. They do wear green tactical type uniforms which is their standard uniform for their job due to the nature of what they do.

> #police are called to the scene by someone
> reporting a domestic disturbance and a man who may
> have a gun;

So its the police fault the girlfriend called saying he had a gun? Is there more information or claims the girlfriend made not made public yet? Maybe somebody should FIOA all the phone calls made from the house, girlfriend, and the calls police made to the house.

Often in these type of events, there are threats made of shooting somebody. Either people threaten to shoot the woman, the officers, or kill themselves. No idea if this was the case but what was being said in the phone call? Strange the girlfriend has never publicly said what she was telling the dispatchers.

> #Mr. Geer has no record of violence and no weapons
> are visible, according to witnesses promptly
> ordered to leave the area—for their safety
> presumably;

All the witnesses could see was a guy standing in his door way. They could not see what he may of had inside the door way or maybe in his waist band. I do not know and neither do the witnesses. And yes the police do clear the area when possible when dealing with a possible armed subject. That's standard as people have tendency to be hit with bullets. Just ask New York city.

> #the Fairfax County PD SWAT officers talk to and
> shout orders to the lone man standing in his
> doorway in shorts to come outside.

SWAT team was not even there before guy was shot.

> He does not and shots are fired by an officer police refuse to
> identify. The suspect is quite dead when police
> ram their way into his home;

I think you are trying to say the guy didn't do what the officer was telling him so he was shot and now the police refuse to identify the officer?

Police have not said yet why the guy was shot and who the officer was. Correct because ITS UNDER INVESTIAGTION. Officers names are not released until the commonwealth attorney's office gets the case and completes their review. This is an improvement actually. The FCPD would never release an officers name involved in a shooting. They now release it after the criminal investigation is completed.

> #then, police throw the shroud of secrecy over the
> scene and the story of what happened. There is no
> official public report, no explanation by FCPD of
> what led to the shooting, and the officer’s name
> is not disclosed.

See above

> #Witnesses and neighbors who spoke to the press
> say they do not understand why it was necessary to
> shoot Mr. Geer. He wasn’t armed, had never been
> a problem and certainly posed no threat to the
> heavily armed officers. (In fact, a detective said
> a gun was found in a holster some distance from
> where he stood.)

I think everything here has been covered already.

> #What happened next is also all too familiar. The
> police say the shooter is on administrative leave
> pending an investigation by … his fellow
> officers. In the 71-year history of the FCPD,
> there has never been independent investigation or
> review by a third party of killings by FCPD
> officers in the line of duty. And, in the 71
> years, no shooter has ever been charged with, much
> less convicted of, any wrongdoing. I outlined
> several other recent, troubling cases in a prior
> column.

This is actually not true. Some of the cases have been independently reviewed by outsiders. It does not make the news if there is nothing there for them to make the news about. The commonwealth attorney also reviews every single case and he is the person and the only person that determines if a shooting is justifiable and if the case should go before a grand jury. It is not up to the police.

As a long time tax paying resident of the county, I only recall two shootings that really had issues. Some people may want to claim more but sorry, you point a gun at the police then they have the right to shoot you.

One case was Dr. Culosi(sorry if I misspelled his name). This was an accidental shooting. Opinions vary on a lot of factors but when it comes down to it, the SWAT officer that killed the doctor did so by accident. That officer had nothing to do with other factors such as the investigation and the use of the SWAT team to start with. None of it had anything to do with the facts considered by the commonwealth when determining to charge him or not. The Department was also very quick to come out and admit it was an accident. They never ever tired to even justify the shooting. From the start they said what it was. The second was the guy on Richmond Highway a couple of years ago that was crazy. Sorry, I do not recall his name or the office's that was involved. This officer was cleared criminally by the commonwealth attorney's office. He was not cleared by the police department and fired for breaking department rules. This case should have probably been presented to a grand jury by the commonwealth but he decided not to. He has never publicly stated why, at least that I have heard. The police department again did not cover anything up. They investigated what happened, presented the case with the evidence to the prosecutor. The police department then fired the officer. The cops can not say no, we are going to charge him after the prosecutor says no. Little known fact is the commonwealth approves any charges prior to anybody being charged with homicide. Every single case.

> #The Virginia Citizens Coalition for Police
> Accountability has long advocated creation of a
> Citizens Review Board of the sort working in over
> 125 large jurisdictions around the country. Such
> boards in fact serve both the public interest and
> the police officers in getting at the truth. It
> likely would be a rare case when such review
> turned up wrongdoing by our otherwise well-trained
> corps. It would be healthy for officers to
> understand that as public servants paid by the
> citizens, they are accountable to the public,
> especially when they use lethal force.

This is complete BS pushed by this group. Most if not all these review boards have caused bigger issues with in the departments and "communities that the boards serve". And lets please look at who makes up this group. Lets ask ourselves what groups are partners with them. How about the history of the people who started it. Most, if not all, are anti police to start with. Some of the residents who started this group here have some very colorful history with the police. It would be nice if they police did talk more because it would be funny to see these peoples reaction.
>
> #A few years ago, Fairfax Board of Supervisors
> Chairman Sharon Bulova said, “I look forward to
> working with the chief to create a Citizen Review
> Board in Fairfax County.” Supervisors John Foust
> and Penny Gross also expressed support for
> civilian review. Hunter Mill Supervisor Hudgins
> regrettably refused to respond when asked,
> according to CCPA. The initiative went nowhere.
> What is the board afraid of? Action by the
> supervisors to protect the public and stop putting
> the county police above the law is long overdue.

Um..none of the board members want anything to do with creating this review broad. They will not say it in public. They will not say it in private to this group. They are politicians after all. They know the results the group would have. No fully informed resident, that is not anti police, wants it either. But keep crying and spending your money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 02:56PM by Mr GFR.

Date: September 13, 2013 02:59PM

Liberal Logic 28 Wrote:
> Well... Wrote:
> -----
> > Whysoquiet Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > From the fairfax connection....
> > >
> > > #On Aug. 29, another civilian was shot to
> death
> > in
> > > a situation that, on the face of it, did not
> > > justify the use of lethal force. Mr. John
> Geer
> > was
> > > shot to death standing in the doorway of his
> > home
> > > with no visible weapon according to reports
> > from
> > > his father and neighbors.
> >
> > Go listen to the audio above, he had the gun on
> > the staircase behind him and the door and had
> > threatened to use it. Watch the video, they
> tried
> > to get him out of the house, and then he
> flinched
> > to fast and they shot him. Good riddance!
>
> Youre an idiot. He didnt have a gun on him. He
> couldnt even reach it. They shot him by accident
> or for the hell of it this is nothing but a cover
> story.
>
> They dont fire a single shot from a hand gun then
> let him retreat TOWARD the weapon without firing
> again if they shot because they thought he was
> pulling a gun.

Well what can we say, the officer should have aimed higher for his head. Bing, bang, boom, game over.

Posted by: To GFR ()
Date: September 14, 2013 08:01PM

So, which are you: current law enforcement, retired law enforcement, or family of law enforcement?

Fairfax County is one of only a few comparable jurisdictions that do not have a citizens review board or some mechanism of public accountability or oversight over its police force. Internal review may actually be just as effective as citizen review in terms of reducing police misconduct; but citizen review boards are much, much more effective at winning public trust in a police department than a closed, internal review process is.

At the very least, the department has an obvious problem communicating to the public.

Mr GFR Wrote:
> I really hate it when people make shit up or get
> the facts wrong and then try to pass them off as
> what happened. Lets address each of the listed
> points
>
> Whysoquiet Wrote:
> ----
> >
> > #On Aug. 29, another civilian was shot to death
> in
> > a situation that, on the face of it, did not
> > justify the use of lethal force. Mr. John Geer
> was
> > shot to death standing in the doorway of his
> home
> > with no visible weapon according to reports
> from
> > his father and neighbors.
>
> This appears correct on the face of it. However
> this is based upon his father and a few witnesses
> that do not have all the information or did not
> see everything. I am NOT suggesting this was a
> good shooting, just the people making these
> statements do not have complete information to say
> IF this was justifiable or not.
>
> > #Once again, the police are silent on what
> > happened.
>
> Yes..its called its under investigation. They do
> not release everything until they have completed
> the investigation. It takes time to do. Its the
> same thing for every investigation. Examples would
> be the 16yo Mclean HS student found dead or the
> guy that killed his wife threw her in the river.
> These are just 2 recent cases of people unhappy
> about the police not releasing information on the
> time line the cry babies want.
>
> > Several men armed with the weapons of war, in
> full battle
> > gear, shout orders at a suspect and shoot the
> > person to death. It has all the feel of a
> military
> > strike, not civilian law enforcement protecting
> > the public. Lethal force seems almost standard
> > procedure, not the last resort it should be.
> > Consider:
>
> Not sure what this idiot considers "full battle
> gear and weapons of war". A patrol officer wearing
> a standard patrol uniform with his standard hand
> gun? OK, my bad, he is right. A handgun is an evil
> weapon of war. The only officers at the event
> prior to the guy being shot in a non standard
> uniform was the K9 officers. They do wear green
> tactical type uniforms which is their standard
> uniform for their job due to the nature of what
> they do.
>
> > #police are called to the scene by someone
> > reporting a domestic disturbance and a man who
> may
> > have a gun;
>
> So its the police fault the girlfriend called
> saying he had a gun? Is there more information or
> claims the girlfriend made not made public yet?
> Maybe somebody should FIOA all the phone calls
> made from the house, girlfriend, and the calls
> police made to the house.
>
> Often in these type of events, there are threats
> made of shooting somebody. Either people threaten
> to shoot the woman, the officers, or kill
> themselves. No idea if this was the case but what
> was being said in the phone call? Strange the
> girlfriend has never publicly said what she was
> telling the dispatchers.
>
> > #Mr. Geer has no record of violence and no
> weapons
> > are visible, according to witnesses promptly
> > ordered to leave the area—for their safety
> > presumably;
>
> All the witnesses could see was a guy standing in
> his door way. They could not see what he may of
> had inside the door way or maybe in his waist
> band. I do not know and neither do the witnesses.
> And yes the police do clear the area when possible
> when dealing with a possible armed subject. That's
> standard as people have tendency to be hit with
> bullets. Just ask New York city.
>
> > #the Fairfax County PD SWAT officers talk to
> and
> > shout orders to the lone man standing in his
> > doorway in shorts to come outside.
>
> SWAT team was not even there before guy was shot.
>
>
> > He does not and shots are fired by an officer
> police refuse to
> > identify. The suspect is quite dead when police
> > ram their way into his home;
>
> I think you are trying to say the guy didn't do
> what the officer was telling him so he was shot
> and now the police refuse to identify the officer?
>
>
> Police have not said yet why the guy was shot and
> who the officer was. Correct because ITS UNDER
> INVESTIAGTION. Officers names are not released
> until the commonwealth attorney's office gets the
> case and completes their review. This is an
> improvement actually. The FCPD would never release
> an officers name involved in a shooting. They now
> release it after the criminal investigation is
> completed.
>
> > #then, police throw the shroud of secrecy over
> the
> > scene and the story of what happened. There is
> no
> > official public report, no explanation by FCPD
> of
> > what led to the shooting, and the officer’s
> name
> > is not disclosed.
>
> See above
>
> > #Witnesses and neighbors who spoke to the press
> > say they do not understand why it was necessary
> to
> > shoot Mr. Geer. He wasn’t armed, had never
> been
> > a problem and certainly posed no threat to the
> > heavily armed officers. (In fact, a detective
> said
> > a gun was found in a holster some distance from
> > where he stood.)
>
> I think everything here has been covered already.
>
> > #What happened next is also all too familiar.
> The
> > police say the shooter is on administrative
> leave
> > pending an investigation by … his fellow
> > officers. In the 71-year history of the FCPD,
> > there has never been independent investigation
> or
> > review by a third party of killings by FCPD
> > officers in the line of duty. And, in the 71
> > years, no shooter has ever been charged with,
> much
> > less convicted of, any wrongdoing. I outlined
> > several other recent, troubling cases in a
> prior
> > column.
>
> This is actually not true. Some of the cases have
> been independently reviewed by outsiders. It does
> not make the news if there is nothing there for
> them to make the news about. The commonwealth
> attorney also reviews every single case and he is
> the person and the only person that determines if
> a shooting is justifiable and if the case should
> go before a grand jury. It is not up to the
> police.
>
> As a long time tax paying resident of the county,
> I only recall two shootings that really had
> issues. Some people may want to claim more but
> sorry, you point a gun at the police then they
> have the right to shoot you.
>
> One case was Dr. Culosi(sorry if I misspelled his
> name). This was an accidental shooting. Opinions
> vary on a lot of factors but when it comes down to
> it, the SWAT officer that killed the doctor did so
> by accident. That officer had nothing to do with
> other factors such as the investigation and the
> use of the SWAT team to start with. None of it had
> anything to do with the facts considered by the
> commonwealth when determining to charge him or
> not. The Department was also very quick to come
> out and admit it was an accident. They never ever
> tired to even justify the shooting. From the start
> they said what it was. The second was the guy on
> Richmond Highway a couple of years ago that was
> crazy. Sorry, I do not recall his name or the
> office's that was involved. This officer was
> cleared criminally by the commonwealth attorney's
> office. He was not cleared by the police
> department and fired for breaking department
> rules. This case should have probably been
> presented to a grand jury by the commonwealth but
> he decided not to. He has never publicly stated
> why, at least that I have heard. The police
> department again did not cover anything up. They
> investigated what happened, presented the case
> with the evidence to the prosecutor. The police
> department then fired the officer. The cops can
> not say no, we are going to charge him after the
> prosecutor says no. Little known fact is the
> commonwealth approves any charges prior to anybody
> being charged with homicide. Every single case.
>
> > #The Virginia Citizens Coalition for Police
> > Accountability has long advocated creation of a
> > Citizens Review Board of the sort working in
> over
> > 125 large jurisdictions around the country.
> Such
> > boards in fact serve both the public interest
> and
> > the police officers in getting at the truth. It
> > likely would be a rare case when such review
> > turned up wrongdoing by our otherwise
> well-trained
> > corps. It would be healthy for officers to
> > understand that as public servants paid by the
> > citizens, they are accountable to the public,
> > especially when they use lethal force.
>
> This is complete BS pushed by this group. Most if
> not all these review boards have caused bigger
> issues with in the departments and "communities
> that the boards serve". And lets please look at
> who makes up this group. Lets ask ourselves what
> groups are partners with them. How about the
> history of the people who started it. Most, if not
> all, are anti police to start with. Some of the
> residents who started this group here have some
> very colorful history with the police. It would be
> nice if they police did talk more because it would
> be funny to see these peoples reaction.
> >
> > #A few years ago, Fairfax Board of Supervisors
> > Chairman Sharon Bulova said, “I look forward
> to
> > working with the chief to create a Citizen
> Review
> > Board in Fairfax County.” Supervisors John
> Foust
> > and Penny Gross also expressed support for
> > civilian review. Hunter Mill Supervisor Hudgins
> > regrettably refused to respond when asked,
> > according to CCPA. The initiative went nowhere.
> > What is the board afraid of? Action by the
> > supervisors to protect the public and stop
> putting
> > the county police above the law is long
> overdue.
>
>
> Um..none of the board members want anything to do
> with creating this review broad. They will not say
> it in public. They will not say it in private to
> this group. They are politicians after all. They
> know the results the group would have. No fully
> informed resident, that is not anti police, wants
> it either. But keep crying and spending your
> money.

Posted by: Irony ()
Date: September 15, 2013 04:57AM

Attachments:
mot15.jpg

Date: September 17, 2013 11:29AM

To GFR Wrote:
> So, which are you: current law enforcement,
> retired law enforcement, or family of law
> enforcement?

Well who are you? I am neither a cop or family member of one. I do have a close friend who is a cop and a neighbor that is also a cop. I discuss things with them a lot. Its very interesting having talked with them about a large range of subjects over the years. I spend a lot of time studying legal issues and the law. I have received and taught police training for my job, no I'm not a security guard. Enough about that. I stay very much informed into what is going on where I live. I post in some of the police related threads to try to clear up misinformation or down right wrong information.

> Fairfax County is one of only a few comparable
> jurisdictions that do not have a citizens review
> board or some mechanism of public accountability
> or oversight over its police force. Internal
> review may actually be just as effective as
> citizen review in terms of reducing police
> misconduct; but citizen review boards are much,
> much more effective at winning public trust in a
> police department than a closed, internal review
> process is.

Just who are you comparing them to? Have citizen review broads helped in some departments? Yes they have in some cases where the departments had a long history of corruption and other issues. Have citizen review broads caused more issues in other departments. Yes, more then they have helped. Fairfax County Police does not have these issues or even come close. Have there been some cases that some people want to jump up and down about crying foul? sure there has been. They have even fucked up a few times. But look at the history of the department. The vast majority of criminal wrong done has been investigated by themselves. They have had no issues prosecuting or firing people that needed it. The FBI has even reviewed some of these cases and had no issues with how the cases were investigated and the conclusions made.

Maybe you should learn how things work better. Ever single possible criminal investigation conducted on an officer is reviewed with the commonwealth attorney. The commonwealth then decides if charges should be filed or not. He alone decides this. The police can not over rule his decision. Then a internal investigation is conducted after and only after the criminal investigation is completed. This would be the IA investigation. Most of the time the IA investigation is done by another person then the person who did the criminal investigation, Why do you ask, because of how the laws are written. Do not forget that a cop has all the same rights as you do under the 4th, 5th, 6th, etc amendments in the criminal investigation. They do not have them under the internal investigation.

Then you have to deal with the personnel regulations of the county and employment laws. The cop can get fired by the department. The department can then be told they have to rehire the cop by the county because they do not feel like the "wrong doing" was enough to be fired for. Are there officers who have jobs currently because of this? a few.

Do some officers screw up? Hell Yes

Do some do things wrong? Yup

Do some break the law? Yes

But the department looks into every single case. They then discipline the officers and some even get fired. Some are found of no wrong doing. Do the vast majority of people not understand the process, yup which causes misunderstandings. Is there a lot of misinformation out there that people believe, yup.

> At the very least, the department has an obvious
> problem communicating to the public.

I agree with you on this. They do a very piss poor job all the way around on this which even causes more issues. It starts as soon as the event starts and they release poorly written press releases or officers do interviews for the press. Some things to remember is the people doing these interviews and press releases are not involved in the cases/events. The only information they have is given to them by supervisors. Sometimes this information is even wrong do to the confusion of what is going on. Also remember the police do not know everything right away, it takes time to figure things out and conduct the investigations. After the first day or two the police stop releasing information until the investigation is done. People then scream there is a "cover up" because the police are not talking or releasing more information. Most of the time they do not have any more information to release. Its the same for any case be it a rape, murder, or a officer involved shooting. Sometimes they do release some press releases with updates but that is only in rare cases. Most of these cases they really are not even releasing new information, they are just clarifying what was released at first. Also releasing to much information then can cause issues prosecuting the case.

Lets look at this case for an example: the officer involved is under a criminal investigation. It is done by the homicide team. The officer has the same protections as you which means he can tell the other cops he has nothing to say to them or he wants his lawyer. NO IDEA IF THIS EVEN HAPPENED IN THIS CASE. Well guess what, he can not be interviewed at that point. This is why it can take a while. The cop is put on administrative leave. Why, because he is under criminal investigation and should not be working until he is cleared or something else. The Neff case is another example. She was charged and going though the court process. She is on administrative leave or restricted duty until the case is over. Why? because she really cant do here job until the court case is over. They department also cannot fire her until the court case is over. Why, because its the county regulations.

Also some things falls under personnel regulations on what type of information can be released. This is county regulations and not police department rules.

People may not agree with this stuff but this is how its done. Its done this way for good reasons based upon laws or regulations. Not everybody will agree with this but then I don't agree with how banks do their business, lawyers do theirs, or the medical insurance industry. But that's my opinion.

Date: September 17, 2013 11:44AM

Let me ask you this...

Who would be on a "civilian" review broad?

What power would they have?

What information would they have access to?

Who would over see them?

What standards would they be held to?

Who is going to pay for it? How much will it cost?

Lets have a frank discussion on the review broad you want so everybody can see what the issues would be with having one. Maybe you have a plan that would work but I have never seen one yet that would not cause more issues here in the county. Remember, LA, DC, Philadelphia, New York are not in Virginia (some of these places the broads are a joke or failure). They have different state laws and/or county regulations.

So please provide how you envision this would work here for all us residents of the county. Lets discuss how this would affect the county, residents, and the police department. Then lets see who really thinks is a good idea.

Date: September 17, 2013 11:44AM

Mr GFR Wrote:

> Just who are you comparing them to? Have citizen
> review broads helped in some departments? Yes they
> have in some cases where the departments had a
> long history of corruption and other issues. Have
> citizen review broads caused more issues in other
> departments. Yes, more then they have helped.
> Fairfax County Police does not have these issues
> or even come close.

Fairfax County Police do without a doubt have a long history of inaction and cover ups when their officers unlawfully kill someone. In they 70+ year history they have NEVER charged an officer in a crime for a shooting but theys paid out 10s of millions in probably the last decade alone.

They didnt even remove the SWAT officer from the SWAT unit when he shot that guy by mistake. The only reason the guy was fired a year or two ago after 18 months of inaction was because the Feds said theyd seen enough and were going to open their own investigation which would have resulted in looking at past instances as well. He was fired to save themselves nothing more. Had the Feds not threatened to get involved he would still be on duty today.

There is no possible way to objectively look at the history of unjustified shootings and say there isnt a systemic problem where they dont hold their officers accountable for anything. Most places an unlawful killing is almost assured to be an automatic firing if not criminal charges as well, for FCPD it means youll get a slap on the wrist if that and the family will get paid a couple million that theyll then ask for a budget increase to compensate for.

Date: September 17, 2013 12:05PM

Liberal Logic 28 Wrote:

> Fairfax County Police do without a doubt have a
> long history of inaction and cover ups when their
> officers unlawfully kill someone. In they 70+
> year history they have NEVER charged an officer in
> a crime for a shooting but theys paid out 10s of
> millions in probably the last decade alone.

Please list the shootings and we can discuss them. There are two I know of as I have stated before. The eye doctor one. There was no cover up. You want to claim there was a cover concerning the shooting then explain your claim. The 2nd one was done on Richmond highway with the nut. Again, no cover up. That cop was fired.

You miss the point that the cops do not decide to charge somebody, ITS THE COMMONWEALTH ATTORNEY.

10s or millions? DO you have something to support your claim?

I recall just reading how the FBI has never ruled a shooting involving an on duty agent as not being justified its history.

> They didnt even remove the SWAT officer from the
> SWAT unit when he shot that guy by mistake. The
> only reason the guy was fired a year or two ago
> after 18 months of inaction was because the Feds
> said theyd seen enough and were going to open
> their own investigation which would have resulted
> in looking at past instances as well. He was
> fired to save themselves nothing more. Had the
> Feds not threatened to get involved he would still
> be on duty today.

You have some facts confused here. The SWAT officer was removed from the SWAT team once the all the investigations were completed. He was not removed right away but then again he was not doing SWAT stuff during that time anyways, he was sitting in an office. He was never fired and is still an officer. He is no longer on the SWAT team. I have my own feelings into this but it was all done with in the state law and county regulations.

The cop from the Rt 1 shooting was fired. Again, the commonwealth decided not to charge him. Why, no idea. The police department found him in violation of department rules and fired him. As far as I know, no law suit was ever filed by the family nor has any money ever been paid reference this shooting. It would have been in the paper if it had. A lawyer was trying to sue on behalf of the family, who did not hire him and the family wanted nothing to do with it. I have not heard of the status on this case as there was a question if the lawyer could even file the suit.

Where do you get the story the Feds threatened to get involved? No really, because I had heard the feds had looked at other cases but never the Rt 1 shooting. So do you have something to back this up?

> There is no possible way to objectively look at
> the history of unjustified shootings and say there
> isnt a systemic problem where they dont hold their
> officers accountable for anything. Most places an
> unlawful killing is almost assured to be an
> automatic firing if not criminal charges as well,
> for FCPD it means youll get a slap on the wrist if
> that and the family will get paid a couple million
> that theyll then ask for a budget increase to
> compensate for.

Read above. What history are you referring to?

Date: September 17, 2013 01:02PM

Mr GFR Wrote:

> Please list the shootings and we can discuss them.
> There are two I know of as I have stated before.
> The eye doctor one. There was no cover up. You
> want to claim there was a cover concerning the
> shooting then explain your claim. The 2nd one was
> done on Richmond highway with the nut. Again, no
> cover up. That cop was fired.

He was fired because of the Feds threatening to get involved. It took over a year to make the decision, they werent investigating for a year. It happened in what 09 and he was fired in 2011.

> You miss the point that the cops do not decide to
> charge somebody, ITS THE COMMONWEALTH ATTORNEY.

Not if the police hand them a report saying it was fine.

> 10s or millions? DO you have something to support
> your claim?

The eye doctor was almost 3 million alone, the 09 one would have been millions as well if/when they sue, this one will likely be millions too. In 06 there was once that struck and killed a guy on a bicycle but they wont say anything about that. I know there was at least one in 2001, one in 87, two in 79, ome in 78, one in 74 and quite a few in 66 as well. This has been going on for decades.

Thats just the off the top of my head, they have a 70 year history. Im sure theres a lot more but its not something theyre going to advertise and they always do their best to keep everything confidential.

> I recall just reading how the FBI has never ruled
> a shooting involving an on duty agent as not being
> justified its history.

That may be the case, which would be a problem for them as well if that werent true. Considering the type of work they do theres a chance that could be true, if its not though that culture needs to change as well. Just because you have a badge doesnt mean you should get away with murder.

Lack of accountability is a becoming a problem for police forces across the country. Theres a lot of good cops, but a lot of bad ones as well. The bad ones arent being weeded out which is why youre seeing these things more and more.

> You have some facts confused here. The SWAT
> officer was removed from the SWAT team once the
> all the investigations were completed. He was not
> removed right away but then again he was not doing
> SWAT stuff during that time anyways, he was
> sitting in an office. He was never fired and is
> still an officer. He is no longer on the SWAT
> team. I have my own feelings into this but it was
> all done with in the state law and county
> regulations.

Public pressure got him off it, but it wasnt automatic like it should have been. He may be a good guy that made a mistake, but Im sorry his mistake took a mans life. If anyone else did that they would be in jail for years yet he still has his job. Initially FCPD just wanted to suspend him for three weeks and call it even but the Culosi family wouldnt accept that.

At the very minimum an unlawful killing mistake or not should be an automatic firing. Really charges should be filed considering a life was taken, but a firing has to be the minimal action that is taken short of proving your gun malfunctioned and went off on its own which we know wasnt the case.

It may have been within regulations but that really shows how systemic the problem is. Thats essentially state sanctioned murder when theres no consequences for the action. The last thing you want is a police force feeling theyre above the law or they arent accountable for their actions. Its breeds an us vs them mentality some officers like to display. Again theres good cops, but the bad ones dont get weeded out like they should be.

> The cop from the Rt 1 shooting was fired. Again,
> the commonwealth decided not to charge him. Why,
> no idea. The police department found him in
> violation of department rules and fired him. As
> far as I know, no law suit was ever filed by the
> family nor has any money ever been paid reference
> this shooting. It would have been in the paper if
> it had. A lawyer was trying to sue on behalf of
> the family, who did not hire him and the family
> wanted nothing to do with it. I have not heard of
> the status on this case as there was a question if
> the lawyer could even file the suit.

Again it just shows how deep the problem runs that the Fairfax Commonwealth Attorny wont file charges. FCPD fought tooth and nail to even prevent that officers name from being released.

> Where do you get the story the Feds threatened to
> get involved? No really, because I had heard the
> feds had looked at other cases but never the Rt 1
> shooting. So do you have something to back this
> up?

Saw it in an article about it it may have been Forbes that had it but cant remember. Threatened was probably the wrong word, it was probably described more as were considering because it had been well over a year with no action taken and in the end took 18 months to fire him.

> Read above. What history are you referring to?

Their extensive history of killing unarmed civilians with little or no consequences that you can find if you put the effort into it. They bury the information so you have to look for it but can find old articles dating back to at least the 60s and Im sure it happened in the 50s as well.

If you want you can even find all the brutality ones beating handcuffed suspects, or officers lying under oath and being admonished by the court, arresting people for drinking in bars, special treatment for DUIs for officers and their wives,

Five months after Fairfax police killed John Geer, more delays ahead in resolving case
Posted by: Investigation continues ()
Date: February 07, 2014 07:26AM

Five months after Fairfax police killed John Geer, more delays ahead in resolving case
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/02/07/five-months-after-fairfax-police-killed-john-geer-more-delays-ahead-in-resolving-case/

On a sunny afternoon in late August, a distraught John B. Geer stood in the doorway of his Springfield townhouse and chatted for close to 50 minutes with two Fairfax County police officers, who had their guns drawn and were trying to get him to come out of the house. Then one of the officers fired one shot into Geer’s chest and killed him. For the first time here, we will hear a detailed version of the shooting from a close friend of Geer’s who saw the whole thing.

More than five months later, Geer’s family and friends, his neighbors and fellow taxpayers have no idea why this happened. And now they are in for a longer wait. On Thursday, Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Raymond F. Morrogh said his office had two potential conflicts of interest in the case, which he declined to describe, and sent the case to the U.S. attorney in Alexandria for further review. This is justice further delayed, and The Post’s Justin Jouvenal has the family’s reaction here.

Legal conflicts aside, this case never seemed that complicated, compared with some of the other high-profile police shootings in Fairfax County in recent years. One shooter, one victim, in broad daylight, about 15 feet apart, with three or four officers and perhaps a half dozen citizens in the Springfield cul de sac watching. Morrogh told me Thursday that he had been waiting for all the reports from the Fairfax homicide unit, which investigates its own police shootings as it does all shootings in the county, and that “I understand the family wants it resolved.” He said he was still receiving reports as recently as last week, and that he hadn’t gotten the autopsy report until December.

But he said there was “a potential conflict with one of the witnesses and this office,” another conflict “concerns some information and I just can’t get it,” so he sent the case to the feds. He could not explain what the conflicts are, or why it is keeping him from making a decision, and presumably we will learn all that down the road. Acting U.S. Attorney Dana Boente said he could not even confirm he was handling the case, much less estimate how long it would take the Justice Department to look into the Fairfax prosecutor’s office’s problem. Morrogh said it was possible the feds could determine there were no conflicts and the case would return to him, or it could stay with Boente for a final decision on charging the still unnamed officer.

This means more waiting for people like Jeff Stewart, Geer’s best friend, who stood about 70 yards from the shooting and couldn’t believe it as he watched it unfold. It also means more delay on another crucial question: Why did the Fairfax police wait an hour after the officer shot Geer in the chest before going in to render aid? That was not a decision made by the patrol officers who responded to the call, but likely was made due to safety concerns because Geer had told police he had a gun, and they were waiting for SWAT officers and other technology before entering his home on Pebble Brook Court, not far from Pohick Road in the Pohick Hills neighborhood.

“I’m happy it’s getting an independent, supplemental look,” Stewart said Thursday night, about the case moving from Fairfax to the feds. “Maybe we can get some answers. If this had been two citizens, how long do you think this would have taken before one was in a jail cell? This is confusing and frustrating.”

Earlier Thursday, Stewart recounted how he had spoken with Geer, 46, his longtime friend, co-worker, and former neighbor on Pebble Brook Court around 10 a.m. on August 29, and they’d decided to go hit some golf balls later at Burke Lake. Geer was a kitchen designer and builder. Stewart said he called Geer again around 11:30 a.m. to say he was ready to go and Geer told him, “I’m not going to be able to go golfing.”

His girlfriend and mother of his two children, Maura Harrington, had informed him that she was moving out, and Geer had responded by tossing her belongings on to the front yard, Stewart said. He also had begun drinking, Stewart said. Harrington came home to retrieve their two daughters and when he refused to calm down, she called police, Stewart said.

The police came around 2:40 p.m., police officials said, asked Geer to come out of the house and he refused. He had told them he had a gun, Stewart said, though he was wearing a white shirt and gym shorts and it didn’t appear to be on him. When Stewart got there, he stood next to a police officer about 70 yards away.

“John was stalemating them and he thought he had it under control,” Stewart said. “‘I’m not coming out, you’re not coming in,’” Stewart said Geer was telling them. “He’s talking to them very calmly.” Two officers stood, with guns drawn, in front of him, and two more officers were crouched behind them.

“He’s got his hands on the top of the storm door, and it’s open about six inches,” Stewart said. He said Geer’s gun was holstered, in the house, on the floor. “All of a sudden he starts lowering his hands. His hands move down the door, level with his face, and the cops shot him once in the chest.” He said he could tell from where Geer clutched his body that was where he’d been hit.

“I turned to the officer next to me,” Stewart said, “and said, ‘You guys just shot an unarmed man.’” Stewart wondered, “What could [Geer] have possibly said that made that officer feel his life was in danger?

Geer turned, closed the door and went inside. The officers used a bullhorn to try to convince Geer to come out, but he did not. Stewart said he asked the police why they didn’t go in to help the man they’d just shot, and “they said they heard him inside the house. Well they didn’t hear him for very long, not by the evidence I saw when I cleaned up.”

Stewart said it took an hour for SWAT officers, a mobile command center and a small tank to arrive on Pebble Brook, and that he couldn’t believe they weren’t going in. “I drew the floor plan [of Geer's house] for the entry team,” Stewart said. He said he told the officers, “I don’t think this is necessary. He’s either bleeding to death or he’s dead.”

The police made entry at 4:30 p.m., about an hour after the officer shot Geer. Geer was dead.

The next day, Stewart returned to clean up the scene behind the front door. He said the blood told the story. After Geer was shot, “he spun into the door, pulled it shut with his left hand, and collapsed immediately,” Stewart said the blood trail indicated. “Then he got up, you can see the bloody handprints, went about three feet, and collapsed again.” And his body was found less than five feet from where he’d been shot, Stewart said.

The police won’t discuss the specifics of the case while it’s under investigation. After the criminal investigation is completed and ruled upon by prosecutors, the internal affairs investigation formally begins, though they have already taken some statements from witnesses. Chief Edward Roessler Jr. said Thursday he has met with the Geer family, expressed his condolences, and “I’ve communicated with the family a few times afterwards. It’s my goal to hold myself accountable to them, to communicate with them and they have my contact information. I’ve been trying to keep them in the loop as best I can, that’s my responsibility to them.”

With these actions, Roessler is following in the footsteps of his predecessor, David Rohrer, who spoke repeatedly with the family of optometrist Salvatore Culosi, killed in January 2006 by Officer DeVal Bullock, and he traveled to Fredericksburg to personally apologize to the ex-wife and stepdaughter of David Masters, killed in November 2009 by Officer David Scott Ziants. Both officers were cleared of criminal liability by the Fairfax prosecutors, but Rohrer suspended Bullock for three weeks without pay and took him off the SWAT team, and he fired Ziants. As with Geer, both Culosi and Masters were unarmed.

But this case is still in its early stage, and this stage has lasted longer than any other police shooting in the 15 years I’ve been covering Fairfax. Morrogh and his predecessor, Robert F. Horan Jr., typically have ruled on officer-involved killings in about two months. In the Culosi case, Horan cleared Bullock in two months, saying the shooting was accidental. In the Masters case, Morrogh cleared Ziants in two and a half months, ruling that Ziants believed Masters was armed and attempting to run over another officer. And in the most complex police shooting case, where a Prince George’s County officer shot and killed Prince Jones near Falls Church in September 2000, Horan cleared Officer Carlton Jones in less than two months. In other cases where the decedents were armed and aggressive, Morrogh has ruled as quickly as one month and long as three and a half months. Since 2006, there have been 15 fatal shootings by Fairfax police officers, including Geer, and the other 14 were all ruled justifiable. No fatal shooting by a Fairfax officer has ever been found unjustifiable by a Fairfax prosecutor in the department’s 74-year history.

Morrogh said he wasn’t intentionally delaying anything. “I did the best I could as quickly as I could,” the prosecutor said, “and I just couldn’t rush it. No one’s doing anything nefarious. In fairness to everybody, I need to see in writing what’s occurred, I want to see the reports, I want to see the pictures.” He said the police “worked as expeditiously as possible,” and that he got his first reports in November, but when he had everything, “It couldn’t be resolved. Whoever makes the decision has to consider this additional material” which he hasn’t been able to get due to the unspecified conflict. “I don’t have everything I need to make the decision,” so Boente will decide whether Morrogh gets that material, or handles it himself.

Meanwhile, others are weighing in. Fairfax Supervisor Pat Herrity (R-Springfield) said, “It’s taking longer than I would like to get to an answer. I think we owe it to the Geers to get them an answer.” Herrity said that “I have talked to Ray [Morrogh] about it. His response is he wants to take the time it takes to get it right.”

Michael Lieberman, a lawyer representing Geer’s estate, said he filed a notice of claim with Fairfax County on Tuesday, a legal requirement to preserve the ability to sue. He also said he filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the county seeking the police reports and the name of the officer, and was told they would not be released, per Fairfax’s longstanding policy of not releasing such information during an investigation. They may be turned over during subsequent civil litigation, as they were in the Culosi lawsuit, which Lieberman also handled. In that case, Fairfax’s legal department put the Culosis through nearly five years of legal torment, battling the victim’s parents with motions and appeals, before finally agreeing to pay a $2 million settlement on the eve of trial in 2011.

Lieberman said Thursday night that he’d heard from Morrogh about sending the case to the U.S. attorney and the possible conflicts of interest, and he did not know what Morrogh was referring to when discussing the conflicts.

The unnamed officer who shot Geer is also waiting for a resolution, and remains on administrative duty with pay. Fairfax lawyer John Carroll, who represents the Fairfax police union, is representing the officer and said he could not comment on the case.

John B. Geer, 46, was shot and killed by a Fairfax County police officer in August 2013 while standing in the doorway of his Springfield townhouse.
Attachments:
Geer2.jpg

Posted by: Mr GFR is a cop ()
Date: February 07, 2014 10:02AM

To GFR Wrote:
> So, which are you: current law enforcement,
> retired law enforcement, or family of law
> enforcement?

Well who are you? I am neither a cop or family member of one. I do have a close friend who is a cop and a neighbor that is also a cop. I discuss things with them a lot. Its very interesting having talked with them about a large range of subjects over the years. I spend a lot of time studying legal issues and the law. I have received and taught police training for my job, no I'm not a security guard. Enough about that. I stay very much informed into what is going on where I live. I post in some of the police related threads to try to clear up misinformation or down right wrong information.

MR. GFR, YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT. WITH ALL THE SPECIFICS YOU ARE QUOTING, YOU ARE A FAIRFAX COUNTY POLICE OFFICER...........OR YOUR NEIGHBOR IS IN IA AND HE GIVING YOU PRIVELEGED INFORMATION IN VIOLATION OF DEPARTMENTAL POLICY. SO WHO IS YOUR NEIGHBOR? INITIALS WOULD BE FINE SINCE IT WOULD BE VERY EASY TO VERIFY. OTHERWISE, I CALL BULLSHIT THAT YOU ARE NOT A FAIRFAX COUNTY POLICE OFFICER. OR YOU ARE PART OF THE PROPAGANDA MACHINE OF FAIRFAX COUNTY POLICE AND COME ON THIS WEBSITE SIMPLY TO TRY TO DISCREDIT POSTS AND SHOW THE POLICE IN A GOOD LIGHT.

Posted by: GFR IS A COP ()
Date: February 07, 2014 10:10AM

The cop from the Rt 1 shooting was fired. Again, the commonwealth decided not to charge him. Why, no idea. The police department found him in violation of department rules and fired him.

MR. GFR FORGOT THE BEST PART OF THE ABOVE STATEMENT. AFTER THIS OFFICER WAS FIRED, THE HEAD OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS (ED O'CARROL IS THE RUMOR) WAS TALKING TO ANOTHER OFFICER. RUMOR IS THAT HE SAID THAT THE OFFICER SHOULD HAVE APPEALED THE DECISION........BECAUSE THE OFFICER WOULD HAVE WON AND GOT HIS JOB BACK. THIS JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU THAT THE DEPARTMENT DOES CAVE IN TO POLITICAL PRESSURE AND MANUFACTURES SO-CALLED EVIDENCE TO SCREW THE OFFICER. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE OFFICER SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN FIRED, BUT FOR THE HEAD OF IA TO SAY THAT CIVIL SERVICE WOULD HAVE GIVEN THE OFFICER HIS JOB BACK IS A CLEAR INDICATION THAT IA DOES SOME SCREWED UP SHIT.

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: February 07, 2014 03:48PM

You're calling Mr. GFR a cop for "all the specifics he he quoting" but you know of rumors from the department's I.A.?

Posted by: GFR IS A COP ()
Date: February 07, 2014 04:39PM

What GFR says is totally true. He just left out the one part of the story. He is either a cop or his IA neighbor told him. Which is it? He said he is not a cop. So his IA cop neighbor is talking? Or he lied, and is a Cop. Just saying.

Where is the Justice for John Geer?
Posted by: TruthTeller ()
Date: May 28, 2014 11:16AM

Where is the Justice for John Geer? FCPD has stonewalled and now has turned over the Investigation to the Feds. How complicated can this be? A cop shot an unarmed man in the middle of the day in front of witnesses!

They all knew he was unarmed! His father was standing there, his buddy was standing there. The cop who shot him, murdered him in cold blood and should be punished. NOW FCPD is complicit in denying John Geer and his family timely Justice by delaying and now passing the investigation over to the Feds. This happened last August!

We need a Police Review Board that is independent and answers to the Board of Supervisors! This case alones demands it be set up and in acted to review cases along with the FCPD. Justice delayed is Justice Denied!

How can this be happening in Fairfax County in this day and age?

Re: Where is the Justice for John Geer?
Posted by: Tom Jackman Is A Good Journalist ()
Date: August 01, 2014 03:05PM

Ten months of silence in the Fairfax police shooting death of John Geer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/07/08/ten-months-of-silence-in-the-fairfax-police-shooting-death-of-john-geer/

"Several law enforcement sources have indicated to me that the officer involved in the case may have had undisclosed issues of his own, that Morrogh (Commonwealth's Attorney) sought his personnel files and that the police refused to hand it over."
Wait, the police are withholding information from lawful authorities and getting away with it? Shocking ...

"In addition, the officer who did not fire his weapon while standing next to the shooter may have prior perjury issues, one source said."
Perjury issues? A police officer? Nah, you don't say!

The Feds have sat on this for over 5 months now, so I'm sure that means there's nothing serious behind the blue wall the FFX Co. cops have erected.

Re: Where is the Justice for John Geer?
Posted by: worm food troll ()
Date: August 01, 2014 03:10PM

You asked a question in May about John Geer.

Where are the trolls that talk about worm food, etc.

So tired of the crap

Posted by: Goes home to dinner every night ()
Date: August 01, 2014 03:29PM

"... gunned down by an unnamed officer, who remains on paid desk duty."
So at least the killer is being productive!

Posted by: "Authorities" ()
Date: August 01, 2014 05:38PM

"Morrogh said last week that he could not discuss the case since he was no longer investigating it. Acting U.S. Attorney Dana Boente said he could not even confirm the case’s existence. Fairfax County police Chief Edwin Roessler Jr. said that the FBI was reviewing the case, but had no more information than that."

That's 3 very well paid, powerful men who are taking no responsibility for their own actions or the actions their organizations.

They should be ashamed of themselves, but good men no longer reach these high offices. If we care about our Republic, severe repercussions are in mandatory!

Posted by: Happy Anniversary! ()
Date: August 23, 2014 02:27PM

In 6 days, it will be one whole year since:
- Geer was shot at the threshold of his home with his hands up
- The police let him bleed-out for an hour, giving no aid
- They drove a tank through his front door, followed up with an assault team

AND NOTHING ELSE HAPPENED.

Posted by: just a white guy. ()
Date: August 23, 2014 08:16PM

Thank God it was just a white guy.
Nigger Mike Brown gets top billing but white people don't garner any attention unless they shoot criminal niggers.
If this guy was a nigger, the whole country would no his name. And that's a fact, jack!

Posted by: knownothing ()
Date: August 23, 2014 08:55PM

Happy Anniversary! Wrote:
> In 6 days, it will be one whole year since:
> - Geer was shot at the threshold of his home with
> his hands up
> - The police let him bleed-out for an hour, giving
> no aid
> - They drove a tank through his front door,
> followed up with an assault team
>
> AND NOTHING ELSE HAPPENED.

and what did the guy do? I mean, why did police want him? I missed this at the time and it will take too long to go through this thread and look through articles. Can you just tell me?

Posted by: LAST YEARS POSTED THREAD? ()
Date: August 24, 2014 06:44AM

This thread was posted last year!
It is dead and gone!
Get a life, TERD ball!
Attachments:
%2Fstorage%2Femulated%2F0%2FPictures%2FStumbler%2FKZ-BestInsults%2F11dec814_tumblr_n5g6qmJegC1rfwfq9o1_500.gif
%2Fstorage%2Femulated%2F0%2FPictures%2FStumbler%2FKZ-BestInsults%2F24742bfd_tumblr_m5h2tvRMDG1qjnw5jo1_500~01~01.jpg
%2Fstorage%2Femulated%2F0%2FPictures%2FStumbler%2FKZ-BestInsults%2F5d87a8cf_insult~01.jpg
%2Fstorage%2Femulated%2F0%2FPictures%2FStumbler%2FFUCK!%2F98dfcf94_tumblr_my09wwspZo1t2t2n4o1_500.gif
%2Fstorage%2Femulated%2F0%2FPictures%2FStumbler%2FFUCK!%2F8d92438a_tumblr_mm6q3wNMHY1rrv6l2o1_500.jpg

Posted by: yG3Np ()
Date: August 24, 2014 01:36PM

LAST YEARS POSTED THREAD? Wrote:
> This thread was posted last year!
> It is dead and gone!
> Get a life, TERD ball!

Reading comprehension apparently isn't a requirement to join FCPD.
The shooting happened a year ago and STILL there are no answers. That's the point.
Let's try to find out why there are no answers:
- Fairfax prosecutor Ray Morrogh sought the shooter's personnel files and the police refused to hand it over.
- Morrogh said there was “a potential conflict with one of the witnesses and this office”
- The officer who did not fire his weapon while standing next to the shooter may have prior PERJURY issues
- Morrogh booted the case to federal prosecutors
- U.S. Attorney Dana Boente said he could not even confirm the case’s existence
Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/07/08/ten-months-of-silence-in-the-fairfax-police-shooting-death-of-john-geer/

So that blue wall is just as dirty and effective as we all knew. This is a simple thing situation: Lying cops covering up for their inept friends who can't control their trigger fingers.

What a disgrace!

Posted by: FIFY ()
Date: August 24, 2014 01:50PM

LAST YEARS POSTED THREAD? Wrote:
> This thread was posted last year!
> It is dead and gone!
> Get a life, TERD ball!

*TURD

Posted by: true dat ()
Date: August 24, 2014 08:21PM

yG3Np Wrote:
> LAST YEARS POSTED THREAD? Wrote:
> -----
> > This thread was posted last year!
> > It is dead and gone!
> > Get a life, TERD ball!
>
> Reading comprehension apparently isn't a
> requirement to join FCPD.
> The shooting happened a year ago and STILL there
> are no answers. That's the point.
> Let's try to find out why there are no answers:
> - Fairfax prosecutor Ray Morrogh sought the
> shooter's personnel files and the police refused
> to hand it over.
> - Morrogh said there was “a potential conflict
> with one of the witnesses and this office”
> - The officer who did not fire his weapon while
> standing next to the shooter may have prior
> PERJURY issues
> - Morrogh booted the case to federal prosecutors
> - U.S. Attorney Dana Boente said he could not even
> confirm the case’s existence
> Source:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/
> 07/08/ten-months-of-silence-in-the-fairfax-police-
> shooting-death-of-john-geer/
>
> So that blue wall is just as dirty and effective
> as we all knew. This is a simple thing situation:
> Lying cops covering up for their inept friends who
> can't control their trigger fingers.
>
> What a disgrace!

Exactly correct. The Police Chief and IA will not discipline the officer because in doing so, it will say that the officer was wrong and it was an illegal shooting. So the cop keeps his job. Now on the other hand, if they indict the cop on charges, FCPD will say that the officer was in the wrong and fire him. BLAH BLAH BLAH. It is all politics and nobody has a hair on their ass to do the right thing. Basically, FCPD does what it wants-when it wants. SAD.

Posted by: Latest news please ()
Date: August 25, 2014 08:49AM

So what is happening with this Murder by Cop case? The last we heard it was kicked from Fairfax County to the Feds. So has it just languished with the Feds in hope it will be forgotten? Anyone have any info?

Do we need to riot and loot the local 7 Eleven and Best Buy to get some movement... That's it!! lets all meet at Fairfax Corner.. have a couple of Vendi Lattes and loot REI and Arhous until we get some answers

Posted by: hKEKe ()
Date: August 25, 2014 09:03AM

Latest news please Wrote:
> So what is happening with this Murder by Cop case?
> The last we heard it was kicked from Fairfax
> County to the Feds. So has it just languished
> with the Feds in hope it will be forgotten?
> Anyone have any info?
>
> Do we need to riot and loot the local 7 Eleven and
> Best Buy to get some movement... That's it!!
> lets all meet at Fairfax Corner.. have a couple of
> Vendi Lattes and loot REI and Arhous until we get
> some answers

Who cares? Witnesses stated the cops explicitly said that if he dropped his hands they'd open fire. He decided to drop his hands and he got hit by the solitary round fired. This doesn't happen to people that listen. Defend him all you want, but in the end he killed himself.

Posted by: One Year ()
Date: August 29, 2014 09:40AM

It's been precisely 1 year since the unarmed John Geer was shot with his hands up at the door to his own home.
No investigative information has been released (including any present officers' names) because the cops have perjury issues (shocker!) and therefore the Commonwealth's Attorney passed the buck to the feds.
Have the feds done anything in the past 7 months since they got the case? Nah. Doing "work" isn't exactly their M.O.
Look on the bright side though,the FCPD ninja team got a chance to use their tank to knock down an innocent person's front door :-)
Hey John, Whatcha Doin In There?

Posted by: wGvM3 ()
Date: August 31, 2014 02:06PM

I wonder why there is no rioting and looting?

Hmmmm.......... Sharpton and Jesse don't give a shit about white folk.

Posted by: Notjoshhomme ()
Date: September 01, 2014 06:21AM

Sounds about right given the state of things

Posted by: SadDude ()
Date: September 01, 2014 06:25AM

One Year Wrote:
> It's been precisely 1 year since the unarmed John
> Geer was shot with his hands up at the door to his
> own home.
> No investigative information has been released
> (including any present officers' names) because
> the cops have perjury issues (shocker!) and
> therefore the Commonwealth's Attorney passed the
> buck to the feds.
> Have the feds done anything in the past 7 months
> since they got the case? Nah. Doing "work" isn't
> exactly their M.O.
> Look on the bright side though,the FCPD ninja team
> got a chance to use their tank to knock down an
> innocent person's front door :-)
> src="http://www.policestateusa.com/wp-content/uplo
> ads/2013/10/JohnGeer11.jpg" alt="Hey John, Whatcha
> Doin In There?">

This makes me so sad.
I've been a victim of ffcpd perjury so I totally feel ya. Now I'm watching ffcpd militarize their department... Just glad we moved out to the mountains.

Posted by: Who knows ()
Date: November 06, 2014 06:18PM

Everything is out the window now that FCPD is so short on personnel. Officers are quitting the department in droves, and they can't recruit enough new people, so they've removed the written exam from the application process to help attract more ethnic minorities that they feel wouldn't normally pass the exam. Basically if you can run a 2 minute physical course and have never killed anyone you can get hired there now. So remember, the next cop that shoots someone may not be able to spell "gun."

Posted by: UUmT9 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 12:19AM

Fairfax County hires former Mark McGwire lawyer in John Geer police shooting case:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/11/25/fairfax-county-hires-former-mark-mcgwire-lawyer-in-john-geer-police-shooting-case/

What a waste of money. I'd stop paying my property taxes in protest, but I'm sure FCPD would show up at my home, shoot me in my threshold, let me bleed out for an hour, knock down my door with a tank, and then cover the whole thing up.

Ain't Nobody Got Time Fo Dat!

Posted by: WS ()
Date: November 28, 2014 03:54PM

Like the guys on fox news said he should stayed at his house and watch tv nothing would of happen he made abad choice

Posted by: slim ()
Date: November 28, 2014 10:03PM

By now you've heard the man wasn't armed! He owned guns apparantly, thats it.

There was NO PORBABLE cause to have him come out of his house nor let entry. No warrant - you don't aim your weapon at a man at his door , especially if his hands are up! The police report says he was shot and then barricaded himslef within. All he did was was close his door after being shot for NOOOOOOOO REASON!

http://patch.com/virginia/kingstowne/man-dies-in-policeinvolved-shooting-in-springfield

According to the release, a patrol officer fired a single shot at some point during the negotiation. The shot struck the man, and he then barricaded himself inside the residence.

Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.