HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Another Police Shooting in Fairfax Co.(West Springfield)
Posted by: adfadsfasdfasdf ()
Date: September 01, 2013 10:40AM

Nothappyaboutthetank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I came to this site because I saw the article in
> the paper and wanted to see if there was any more
> local information, since I live in Springfield.
>
> If I am following correctly, it sounds like there
> was a distraught possibly intoxicated man throwing
> his girlfriends stuff on the front lawn and she
> called 911. Certainly that is a problem/ domestic
> dispute. But things like this happen all the time
> unfortunately, and people can act like idiots
> especially when relationships and alcohol are
> involved. It is certainly normal to call the cops
> when things like this happen.
>
> What concerns me is that a tank and helicopter
> showed up! Do we really think that is going to
> help the situation, or perhaps just maybe, it
> might make a mentally distraught person completely
> lose it. When things like this used to happen,
> you sent a couple squad cars and told the person
> to go inside and cool off. Maybe there was more
> involved due to the presence of firearms...I don't
> know.
>
> But, still, honestly, a tank for a domestic? I
> really think it is time that Fairfax County
> reevaluate when they are using their equipment and
> in what situations. I can't believe more people
> aren't concerned about this.

It's not a tank, its a tanker (see the picture above). It's an armored vehicle designed to protect the occupants (police) and used to storm reinforced structures. In this case, it may seem like overkill (pardon the pun), but here's the score... Us=1, Scumbags=0, so stop complaining.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Colleen ()
Date: September 01, 2013 11:23AM

I know the cops have a lot of latitude and there really is no need for proof of anything during these sorts of operations...that's for the trial, IF there is (or would have been) one.

But, there sure as HELL is a need for probable cause for the actions of the police. And, with the info out there right now, there is zero probable cause for their actions in this matter. One would think any probable cause for the cops' actions would be released in a press release to quell the concerns of other citizens...IF they had any probable cause, that is.

The single shot is strange as well. Usually in cop stand off situations, if there's a shot, it's followed by tons of other shots by the cops. That didn't happen. The cops didn't react to the shot...maybe because they knew it was coming...like a sniper.

All speculation, admittedly, but the current info out on the situation leaves for many questions that need answering.

Posted by: Colleen ()
Date: September 01, 2013 11:54AM

For those who are complaining about folks jumping to conclusions against the cops, that's fine to be that way and I agree. I don't believe there is enough information to the public to CONCLUDE much of anything. There certainly is enough info to question a lot, though.

And, if the citizenry does not just question, but demands, the accountability of those who we entrust to protect (and serve) us, then we open ourselves up to errosion of and even a surrender our inherent civil rights.

Demanding accountability, especially accountability in life and death situations, is not just a right of the citizenry, it's a duty for those of us who value protection of civil rights.

Posted by: Jdkkc ()
Date: September 01, 2013 01:33PM

Expect a multi-million dollar settlement of YOUR Taxpayer money for the out of control FCPD with the dude's family with zero admission of wrongdoing. Money that could have gone to better schools or lower taxes. Now they'll just be setting up more speed traps and issuing more parking tickets. Such Total BULLSHIT!!

Posted by: Liberal Logic 27 ()
Date: September 01, 2013 02:16PM

Jdkkc Wrote:
> Expect a multi-million dollar settlement of YOUR
> Taxpayer money for the out of control FCPD with
> the dude's family with zero admission of
> wrongdoing. Money that could have gone to better
> schools or lower taxes. Now they'll just be
> setting up more speed traps and issuing more
> parking tickets. Such Total BULLSHIT!!

That would be the standard result of this yearly occurrence. Anytime they ask for money money on a ballot vote no, theyd have all the money they could ever want if they werent always paying out lawsuits for people theyve murdered or crashing helicopters because they never untied it.

Posted by: FreedomLvr ()
Date: September 01, 2013 03:01PM

adfadsfasdfasdf: ""US =1, Scumbags=0, so stop complaining."

_______

Thanks adfadsfasdfasdf.....you just provided the PERFECT example of the Nazi Redneck mentality that pervades Fairfax County: It's OK for a warrantless cop to murder you despite the fact that you have committed NO crime or even been charged with one. Also, if you read this thread you'll see that your "us" is about 3 people out of 100.

Here's hoping your house is mowed down by a police tank next....I'll be the one sitting there eating popcorn watching you bleed out.

@adfadsfasdfasdf: You are a unfortunate waste of perfectly good oyxgen...

Posted by: Dana Montgomery ()
Date: September 01, 2013 03:39PM

The girlfriend was there! If the police overstepped their duties, she would have been all over the news telling everyone how f'ed up the police handled the situation. God, I can't believe I live in the same country with these paranoid conspiracy theorists. Guess I should have known. This IS the Fairfax Underground after all...

Posted by: DMblows ()
Date: September 01, 2013 03:58PM

Another Police Shooting in Fairfax Co.(West Springfield)
Posted by: Dana Montgomery ()
Date: September 01, 2013 03:39PM

The girlfriend was there! If the police overstepped their duties, she would have been all over the news telling everyone how f'ed up the police handled the situation

Yeah, that is *just* what her lawyer would advise her to do....wake up and pull your head out of your ass already...

Posted by: Grifter ()
Date: September 01, 2013 06:57PM

Liberal Logic 27 Wrote:
> Clarified Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Well remember, if the police think or feel they
> > are being threatened they are protected under
> VA
> > state code to respond with force. I don't think
> > that's the case here though. Sounds more like
> one
> > cop fire unnecessarily. I'll be interested in
> > seeing what they turn up.
>
>
> While thats true the single shot doesnt support
> that. If police are firing because they feel
> threatened or someones waiving a weapon at them
> its multiple shots especially for someone alone in
> a house not 1. The cop at Costco shot 5 times
> point blank, this guy shot once. The only time
> youll ever see single shots fired when police have
> decided to take someone out is from a sniper or an
> accident. He also wouldnt have been the only one
> shooting.
>
> That will probably end up being the cover story
> though the video is going to tear that apart.

The video was only shown on WRC, and only the most exciting extracts, which aren't really that exciting. (A couple of cops behind a tree, another cop pointing his gun at Geer.)

The person who took the video probably offered to sell it to WRC, but most news organizations are surprisingly low rent and since the video didn't contain a "weenie" (the guy with a gun in his hand or the guy actually being shot by the cop) they declined the purchase.

How WRC got the footage they did use is an old con. The guy offered to sell WRC the video, and the reporter or producer said "we need to show this to people back at the station before we can make an offer" so the guy stupidly allowed their cameraman to record it off the screen. WRC then used that recording in their report, and didn't have to pay the guy a dime.

Even when TV stations do pay for footage, they're ridiculously tight about it. The best you can hope for is maybe a few hundred bucks.

Date: September 01, 2013 07:51PM

FreedomLvr Wrote:
> adfadsfasdfasdf: ""US =1, Scumbags=0, so stop
> complaining."
>
> _______
>
> Thanks adfadsfasdfasdf.....you just provided the
> PERFECT example of the Nazi Redneck mentality that
> pervades Fairfax County: It's OK for a
> warrantless cop to murder you despite the fact
> that you have committed NO crime or even been
> charged with one. Also, if you read this thread
> you'll see that your "us" is about 3 people out of
> 100.
>
> Here's hoping your house is mowed down by a police
> tank next....I'll be the one sitting there eating
> popcorn watching you bleed out.
>
> @adfadsfasdfasdf: You are a unfortunate waste of
> perfectly good oyxgen...

So sad, yet another liberal rooting for the bad guys, but will complain in another thread about how the police aren't doing much for the community. I hope a black or hispanic crook ass rapes you in front of your family.

Posted by: Uncommon Sense ()
Date: September 01, 2013 07:54PM

DMblows Wrote:
> Yeah, that is *just* what her lawyer would advise
> her to do....wake up and pull your head out of
> your ass already...

Doubt it, a lawyer would usually try to get public opinion on her side for an incident as public as this. In the weeks that follow, I can imagine her issuing some sort of statement.

Posted by: Rumormill ()
Date: September 01, 2013 08:01PM

This was the only "John Geer" in the arrest/ticket search, nothing major, just traffic violations.

"GEER ","JOHN ","B","040"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","01/05/2006","NO/STATE INSPECTION "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","040"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","01/08/2005","DRIVE-OL RVKD/SUSP "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","040"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","07/28/2006","EXPIRED STATE REGISTRATION "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","040"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","09/26/2006","OPERATE UNLICENSED VEHICLE "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","041"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","05/01/2007","NO/STATE INSPECTION "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","041"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","05/01/2007","OPERATE UNLICENSED VEHICLE "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","042"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","07/28/2008","EXPIRED STATE LIC PLATE "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","042"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","07/28/2008","FAIL WEAR SAFETY BELT "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","042"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","07/28/2008","NO/STATE INSPECTION "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","043"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","08/03/2009","DRIVE-OL RVKD/SUSP "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","043"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","08/03/2009","FAIL OBEY HWY SIGN "
"GEER ","JOHN ","B","043"," 7907","PEBBLEBROOK ","CT","SPRINGFIELD ","VA","08/03/2009","FAIL WEAR SAFETY BELT "

Posted by: GoFugYourself ()
Date: September 01, 2013 08:33PM

adfadsfasdfasdf: "So sad, yet another liberal rooting for the bad guys"

Hey prick...I am a libertarian conservative, not a liberal. That means I QUESTION authority from time to time. You really ought to try it sometime you sorry piece of excrement!! 8-)

adfadsfasdfasdf: I hope a black or hispanic crook ass rapes you in front of your family.

Sounds like YOU are the one rooting for the bad guys, not me. And you are a redneck bigot, too, congrats!! 8-)

Posted by: Helium ()
Date: September 01, 2013 09:31PM

The "witness" saw everything including the shot fired which makes your account wrong putting you in the same category as the rest of those posting. Those who know very little about what they are talking about, know nothing about John, and nothing about the circumstances . John's hands were up because they were on top of the storm door. He was shot in the chest while slowly lowering his hands. He had no weapon in his possession and there was no weapon within his reach. This was an execution of a good man who, at that point, had broken no law. A depressed man that refused to come out of his house and refused to let police in without cause.

Date: September 01, 2013 09:53PM

What I've heard... Wrote:
> ...from someone who was about 150 yards away when
> he got shot. He had his hands in the air when the
> police were at his door before they shot him. The
> witness did not see the actual shooting but only
> heard it. The witness turned and saw the man turn
> away and close his door. The cops then told
> everyone in the neighborhood to go inside. The
> cavalry was called in. I feel really bad for the
> guy's family and his close neighbors. The
> neighborhood looked like a war zone last night.
>
> I'm interested to hear if he was in fact holding a
> gun. I fear we may never know for sure. Either way
> it's a horrible situation for all involved.

YOU WANT THE FACTS ?

The "witness" saw everything including the shot fired, which makes your account wrong putting you in the same category as the rest of those posting. Those who know very little about what they are talking about, know nothing about John, and nothing about the circumstances. John's hands were up because they were on top of the storm door. He was shot in the chest while slowly lowering his hands. His palms were against the screen as he lowered his hands. He had no weapon in his possession and there was no weapon within his reach. This was an execution of a good man who, at that point, had broken no law. A depressed man that refused to come out of his house and refused to let police in without cause.

Date: September 01, 2013 10:07PM

Let me address some other points. He was not violent. He was not being evicted. His girlfriend is not a DEA agent. There are NO police reports that have stated he had something in his hand. HIS HANDS WERE CLEARLY EMPTY ! He owned guns but was not holding or displaying a weapon of any kind. The closest weapon was a holstered revolver laying at the base of the stairs in the house well out of his immediate reach and not in the view of an police officers.

In my opinion, there are to many facts already known that will prevent this from being labeled as justified or allowing it to be swept under the rug.

Stay tuned !

Date: September 01, 2013 10:57PM

GoFugYourself Wrote:
> adfadsfasdfasdf: "So sad, yet another liberal
> rooting for the bad guys"
> ________________
>
> Hey prick...I am a libertarian conservative, not a
> liberal. That means I QUESTION authority from
> time to time. You really ought to try it sometime
> you sorry piece of excrement!! 8-)
>
> *******************************
>
>
> adfadsfasdfasdf: I hope a black or hispanic crook
> ass rapes you in front of your family.
> ______________
>
> Sounds like YOU are the one rooting for the bad
> guys, not me. And you are a redneck bigot, too,
> congrats!! 8-)

libertarian conservative = wasted vote and a pointless party.

Posted by: SpeedLimit ()
Date: September 01, 2013 11:48PM

Wow,that's a lot of tickets. Shows that he thumbs his nose at even simple laws.

Date: September 01, 2013 11:53PM

adfadsfasdfasdf Wrote:

> So sad, yet another liberal rooting for the bad
> guys, but will complain in another thread about
> how the police aren't doing much for the
> community. I hope a black or hispanic crook ass
> rapes you in front of your family.

Your on a small island on this one. Liberals are more likely to be fine with an over reaching over aggressive government.

No one has a problem with cops shooting people that needed to be shot. Thats not the case here. It wasnt a raid on a drug house, it wasnt taking down the mob or gangs, it was just a guy in his house who got killed in a way that makes 0 tactical sense.

Trying to lump it together with all crime is the same race baiting crap the Al Sharptons of the world do. Every situation is different and independent of the others. If anything I would question your true conservationism if youre advocating never questioning the actions of police, especially a department with a long history of this.

Posted by: Mr GFR ()
Date: September 02, 2013 01:03AM

Yawn....are you all still making up what could be or could have been based upon the lack of information from the police? Its easy...FOIA the 911 call and the computer traffic. I think that would provide a lot of details that are missing from here.

But hell... I was not there but dam if the po po didn't kill another black man.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: September 02, 2013 01:52AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 10:42PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: TheDickWon'tQuit ()
Date: September 02, 2013 02:43AM

adfadsfasdfasdf: "libertarian conservative = wasted vote and a pointless party."

Hey prick....you're missing my point, you were DEAD wrong about my political leanings just like you are DEAD wrong about this case.

Give up already....geez, I'm actually starting to feel a little sorry for you....

Date: September 02, 2013 06:34AM

TheDickWon'tQuit Wrote:
> adfadsfasdfasdf: "libertarian conservative =
> wasted vote and a pointless party."
>
> ___________________
>
> Hey prick....you're missing my point, you were
> DEAD wrong about my political leanings just like
> you are DEAD wrong about this case.
>
> Give up already....geez, I'm actually starting to
> feel a little sorry for you....

Just as the suspect was "Dead Wrong" about not cooperating with the police? Hey, I love that Libertarian president, oh wait, there never has been one. Too bad, so sad, you must be a Redskins fan too.

Posted by: Duck! ()
Date: September 02, 2013 06:41AM

Liberal Logic 27 Wrote:
> adfadsfasdfasdf Wrote:
> -----
>
> > So sad, yet another liberal rooting for the bad
> > guys, but will complain in another thread about
> > how the police aren't doing much for the
> > community. I hope a black or hispanic crook ass
> > rapes you in front of your family.
>
>
> Your on a small island on this one. Liberals are
> more likely to be fine with an over reaching over
> aggressive government.
>
> No one has a problem with cops shooting people
> that needed to be shot. Thats not the case here.
> It wasnt a raid on a drug house, it wasnt taking
> down the mob or gangs, it was just a guy in his
> house who got killed in a way that makes 0
> tactical sense.
>
> Trying to lump it together with all crime is the
> same race baiting crap the Al Sharptons of the
> world do. Every situation is different and
> independent of the others. If anything I would
> question your true conservationism if youre
> advocating never questioning the actions of
> police, especially a department with a long
> history of this.

You're right on this one, Liberals will do nothing about an overeaching government. As for the police, I applaud them for taking out the suspect with just one shot, normally 5 or 6 of them open up with about 70 rounds. Thanks for saving the tax payers thousands of dollars, instead of taking care of some crack head negro that would have been a burden on the system.

Posted by: Toe Tag ()
Date: September 02, 2013 06:45AM

Officer Involved Shooting in Springfield Area
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2013/082913oispebblebrook.htm

Fairfax County Police Department
Public Information Office
4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, Va. 22030
703-246-2253. TTY 703-204-2264. Fax 703-246-4253
FCPD-PIO@fairfaxcounty.gov
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police
News Release: E132412019/(7)
August 29, 2013

Officer Involved Shooting in Springfield Area

West Springfield Police District - Police are investigating an officer involved shooting that occurred this afternoon. Around 2:40 p.m. officers responded to a domestic dispute in the 7900 block of Pebble Brook Court involving a man whom the complainant advised was armed with a firearm. Upon arrival of police, several officers encountered the complainant outside the residence. The officers conducted negotiations with the man at the front door of the residence and they attempted to have him come out of the home peacefully. During the negotiations a patrol officer fired a single shot that struck the man. The man then barricaded himself inside the residence.

For the purpose of rendering aid, the police hostage rescue vehicle was utilized to allow a safe approach and entry into the residence. Once inside, tactical officers found the man deceased.

The decedent has been identified as 46-year-old John Geer. The officer involved was placed on routine administrative leave while the investigation continues.

All information provided in this release is based on preliminary investigation and may be subject to revision as the investigation continues.

###

To request this information in an alternate format, call the Public Information Office at 703.246.2253. TTY 703-204-2264

Posted by: Summerrd7 ()
Date: September 02, 2013 06:48AM

I speak from a point of view of someone that lives in Fairfax County, have called 911 Fairfax county police for domestic violence on more than several occasions. I have a daughter with the man germane to my case and a 26 year relationship with him. I lived in fear for many years and suffered many beating which went unreported. In my case when calling 911 the officers came to the residence, spoke to my spouse who was too barricaded himself in the house (the only difference he did NOT open the door.) When the police asked me if there were weapons, I honestly said, I don't know, there were knives I knew of from the kitchen. After several minutes of speaking with my spouse barricaded in the house, the officers suggested I find somewhere else to be for the duration. About 3 weeks went by and the police arrested my spouse outside, finally mowing the grass. I also speak from a perspective of knowing John and the family and I believe the police, Fairfax police, could have handled this situation much differently and not escalated this event for a totally different outcome, one in which could have saved the life of John. The same highly trained policeman that came to my door and helped me a few years ago was not the same trained police man that visited John's door. I believe there could have been a different protocol or outcome in this situation. I do hope the investigation is forth right and honest for all the loved ones involved.

Posted by: tojo45 ()
Date: September 02, 2013 06:53AM

Hard to believe someone had to die after looking at the video. We don't know what was said, but it sure like the officer with the gun should have been able to tell whether the man was armed or not. And even if he was, unless there was some aggressive action why not shot teargas in the house or something more passive, rather than shooting him and then breaking down the door.

Best not to judge too harshly either way at this point until more is known, but the police seem to be a little over the top in this sort of situation recently. Perhaps too much government money giving them too many toys they want to play with.

Posted by: haunches ()
Date: September 02, 2013 06:54AM

The timeline also raises questions. Police arrive at about 2:40. They say they spend about 40-50 minuted negotiating with him before the shooting occurs. They "ram" into the house at about 4:30 (they took what looks like a tank and busted open the front of the house), which means about an hour passed between the shooting and entering the house.

One sure hopes that Geer was killed instantly instead of bleeding to death during the hour when they planned and executed a military style assault.

Posted by: MP5N ()
Date: September 02, 2013 06:55AM

FreedomLvr Wrote:
> adfadsfasdfasdf: ""US =1, Scumbags=0, so stop
> complaining."
>
> _______
>
> Thanks adfadsfasdfasdf.....you just provided the
> PERFECT example of the Nazi Redneck mentality that
> pervades Fairfax County: It's OK for a
> warrantless cop to murder you despite the fact
> that you have committed NO crime or even been
> charged with one. Also, if you read this thread
> you'll see that your "us" is about 3 people out of
> 100.
>
> Here's hoping your house is mowed down by a police
> tank next....I'll be the one sitting there eating
> popcorn watching you bleed out.
>

Man I love all the Monday morning quarter backs. First of all more police officers are killed on domestic violence/disturbance calls than any other type. Second, (by limited information released to this point) when a suspect lowers his hand 6 inches, what do you think police officers are going to do?!?! They are trained to shoot to kill, not wound, in order to protect themselves. An officer isn't going to be able to tell if a suspect has a concealed weapon under his clothes. Not to mention when the suspect retreated back into his home and closed the door, they have know way of knowing of the door was boobytrapped. Or of the suspect was waiting to shoot an officer that comes thru the door. Hence why SWAT Team made a tactical entry. You all think you can do better, train for 2 years, strap on the uniform and badge and see how you would do.

FreedomLvr you are completed retarded.

Man Fatally Shot During Fairfax Co. Standoff ID'd
Posted by: NBC4 video ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:17AM

NBC4 has a video that was taken by a neighbor...

Man Fatally Shot During Fairfax Co. Standoff ID'd
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Shots-Fired-at-Springfield-Va-Home-221693811.html

Police have released the name of the man killed during a barricade situation in Springfield, Va. Thursday.

Fairfax County Police were dispatched to the 7900 block of Pebble Brook Court around 2:30 p.m. for a domestic disturbance and a possibly armed individual.

In amateur video from the scene obtained exclusively by News4, the suspect is seen at the front door of his home while officers, K-9 units and SWAT team members surround the area.

"He refused to come outside and he would not allow officers inside," Fairfax County Police officer Bud Walker said.

The man, identified as 46-year-old John Geer, negotiated with police for about 40 minutes before a patrol officer fired a single shot into the home and struck Geer.

Geer then barricaded himself inside the home.

In order to help him, the home's front door was knocked in by a police tanker, and SWAT team members made their way inside at approximately 5 p.m. Officials later confirmed the gunshot fired by police earlier in the afternoon had killed the suspect.

Erica Epps told News4 she has been neighbors with Geer for nine years.

"I feel really bad for the wife and children, we know the kids," Epps said. "[He seemed] like a good guy."

Police have not said why shots were fired into the home or what they found inside upon entry.

The patrol officer who fired the shot has been placed on administrative leave while an investigation is conducted.
Attachments:
Screenshot.bmp

Re: Man Fatally Shot During Fairfax Co. Standoff ID'd
Posted by: MarlboroStan ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:19AM

Just so I'm clear. These things will get you killed by cops or cop wanna bes.

1. Looking suspicious
2. Sudden movements.
3. Shiny objects.
4. Someone calling the cops and saying you have a gun on your own property.

Posted by: sgoewey ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:19AM

Dana Montgomery Wrote:
> The girlfriend was there! If the police
> overstepped their duties, she would have been all
> over the news telling everyone how f'ed up the
> police handled the situation. God, I can't
> believe I live in the same country with these
> paranoid conspiracy theorists. Guess I should
> have known. This IS the Fairfax Underground after
> all...

If his commonlaw wife was DEA agent, then most likely "there were guns in the house" referred to HER firearm and would've been unloaded as DEA agents are trained to do. Sigh this looks like a horrible over-reaction to situation where he was distraught at her leaving him but a threat only to himself. OMG and it's not like he had a hostage, so why do you call it "negotiated for xx minutes." so then he "moves his (empty) hands down about six inches" ... because they were tired? to open the door? but he's killed like he's a violent criminal? he's in his own house, NO Record of any violence, yet he's gunned down because he won't come outside or let police in, but wants to talk to them thru screen door? until they shoot him?! OMG.

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:20AM

"When officers arrived, they began negotiating with Geer to come out of the home, but he refused. Don Geer was too far away to hear the conversation, but he said that at some point, his son stood with empty hands resting near the top of a screen door while several officers were positioned on the front lawn with their guns drawn.

When John Geer slowly moved his hands down about six inches, an officer fired a shot, Don Geer said."

Posted by: GRILLADES ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:20AM

The Wall Street Journal ran an op-ed on the militarization of the police a few weeks ago. I recommend it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323848804578608040780519904.html?KEYWORDS=police+militarization

Posted by: haunches ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:21AM

A few years ago in the Alexandria section of Fairfax, a neighbor called the police alleging that 5-7 teenagers were playing loud music and suspected that they were drinking beer (I know this because I saw the report on a laptop when the first two officers arrived). The police "sealed the perimeter" to prevent the kids from escaping. Within 15 minutes, there were at least 15 squad cars and at least 25 officers. The trunks to some of the cars were open to allow quick access to weapons. Parents began arriving when they received panicky phone calls from their children inside the house. The police refused to allow the parents to get their children and blocked the children from coming out to their parents. One asked what the probable cause was, and was threatened with arrest. After an hour and the police had secured their positions, two officers went on the porch and announced they smelled marijuana. No one else could detect that smell, and they were likely lying so they could break the door down. Parents were literally begging the police to tone it down, they were terrifying the kids and were creating a really dangerous situation. To say it was tense was a major understatement. Turned out to be 5 teenagers 16 and 17 years old, and 2 of them blew .02 (meaning they probably had a beer). I went home that night angry and relieved because there easily could have been a shooting of an unarmed teenager who had panicked by the ridiculous show of force. In retrospect, I should have filmed it. Some of the parents told stories that the police painted this picture of potentially Lesson learned. I tell this story to suggest that the police policy of responding with overwhelming force to everything is a disturbing trend, and there have been several police shooting that were questionable, although the police were cleared because they had a good faith belief that a person may have had a gun.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:22AM

not to make it a race issue, but unfortunately that is the reality for most african americans. I don't advocate martial law, or having a "police state" or any of those extremes. At the same time, if I'm pulled over for talking on the phone while driving, I pull over,turn of the car, roll down my windows and put my hands on the car door where the officer can see them. I've experienced and heard of enough cops just looking for "a reason" to know better than to give them one.

Posted by: DavidGonzales wrote: ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:24AM

When the police are pointing weapons at you, it's not a good idea to move your hands down six inches, as the article says the victim did. You're supposed to put your hands "Up".

Posted by: Stopthenannystate ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:25AM

The police had no right to demand that the man exit his home and accept their "help" He apparently made no threats, the only thing he did was toss out his girlfriend's possessions rather than letting her pack and move them after she rejected him.

There in no mention of him wanting to harm himself or others.

The police caused the situation, they escalated the situation and they handled it poorly

I usually support the police, but in this case heads need to roll

Date: September 02, 2013 07:26AM

sgoewey Wrote:
> Dana Montgomery Wrote:
> -----
> > The girlfriend was there! If the police
> > overstepped their duties, she would have been
> all
> > over the news telling everyone how f'ed up the
> > police handled the situation. God, I can't
> > believe I live in the same country with these
> > paranoid conspiracy theorists. Guess I should
> > have known. This IS the Fairfax Underground
> after
> > all...
>
> If his commonlaw wife was DEA agent, then most
> likely "there were guns in the house" referred to
> HER firearm and would've been unloaded as DEA
> agents are trained to do. Sigh this looks like a
> horrible over-reaction to situation where he was
> distraught at her leaving him but a threat only to
> himself. OMG and it's not like he had a hostage,
> so why do you call it "negotiated for xx minutes."
> so then he "moves his (empty) hands down about six
> inches" ... because they were tired? to open the
> door? but he's killed like he's a violent
> criminal? he's in his own house, NO Record of any
> violence, yet he's gunned down because he won't
> come outside or let police in, but wants to talk
> to them thru screen door? until they shoot him?!
> OMG.

"toss out his girlfriend's possessions rather than letting her pack and move them after she rejected him. "

And he was so polite about it that she had to call the police and advise them (perhaps because of his extreme and out of character behavior) that he had access to weapons. I dunno why you tell the police something like that unless you're scared. I don't think they brought the swat team because of grass stains on her blouses. They responded to a domestic "disagreement" where a woman was felling threatened by a man who was/may have been armed.

Posted by: fuck FreedomLvr ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:28AM

FreedomLvr Wrote:
> -----
> > adfadsfasdfasdf: ""US =1, Scumbags=0, so stop
> > complaining."
> >
> > _______
> >
> > Thanks adfadsfasdfasdf.....you just provided
> the
> > PERFECT example of the Nazi Redneck mentality
> that
> > pervades Fairfax County: It's OK for a
> > warrantless cop to murder you despite the fact
> > that you have committed NO crime or even been
> > charged with one. Also, if you read this thread
> > you'll see that your "us" is about 3 people out
> of
> > 100.
> >
> > Here's hoping your house is mowed down by a
> police
> > tank next....I'll be the one sitting there
> eating
> > popcorn watching you bleed out.

Thanks for supporting a shitty political party and wife beaters. You have zero credibility sir.

Date: September 02, 2013 07:30AM

Stopthenannystate Wrote:
> The police had no right to demand that the man
> exit his home and accept their "help" He
> apparently made no threats, the only thing he did
> was toss out his girlfriend's possessions rather
> than letting her pack and move them after she
> rejected him.
>
> There in no mention of him wanting to harm himself
> or others.
>
> The police caused the situation, they escalated
> the situation and they handled it poorly
>
> I usually support the police, but in this case
> heads need to roll

they were responding to a domestic call, where the woman claimed that the person she was calling about had a gun. I can agree that they may have overreacted by bringing the swat team. But how many times do you hear of these types of domestic situations end up with one or both parties dead. I don't think that the gentleman should have died because he and his girl had a fight. But I read posts on hear all the time regarding stories of a cop shooting or shooting at an inner city kid who chose to run as the officer approached. Most of those post are about how you shouldn't try to run from police,you should obey police instructions (especially when they got the toolies out), and how only a guilty person would try to evade/escape the police. I'm not judging this guy. I've read some posts here that say he was a wonderful man, and I'm sure he'll be missed. I guess i can see how difficult the police's job can be at times. A tragedy though no doubt.

Posted by: nohorseinthisrace1 ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:31AM

Why the police must show up with SWAT gear and demolition armaments is completely beyond me. The jilted girlfriend is not a credible source, yet the police take her word for it that a weapon will be involved in the situation that was escalated not by the dead guy but by the police. The police true spin on this will no doubt find a way to blame the victim, as they always blame the victim.

Our County is becoming a militarized zone right under our noses. Unless the County's voters reject SWAT resolution of a disputed domestic conflict, you can expect more use of SWAT teams to protect the police from situations they are paid to resolve peaceably.

Posted by: cssnms ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:32AM

I have known John for 20 years, he was a good guy. He was a son, a father. a husband and a friend to many. What happened was completely unnecessary. I hope a thorough investigation is conducted!

Posted by: mentholatum ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:33AM

Just curious about who the poster thinks was the criminal in this particular case. Severe lack of empathy in this country. A little sympathy and no one dies. County attorneys are unemployed; ambulance chasers are frustrated, and best of all, I don't waste time reading about this or wondering if it could happen to someone I know.

Posted by: immigrant1 ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:34AM

lilhollywood10 Wrote:
> Stopthenannystate Wrote:
> -----
> > The police had no right to demand that the man
> > exit his home and accept their "help" He
> > apparently made no threats, the only thing he
> did
> > was toss out his girlfriend's possessions
> rather
> > than letting her pack and move them after she
> > rejected him.
> >
> > There in no mention of him wanting to harm
> himself
> > or others.
> >
> > The police caused the situation, they escalated
> > the situation and they handled it poorly
> >
> > I usually support the police, but in this case
> > heads need to roll
>
> they were responding to a domestic call, where the
> woman claimed that the person she was calling
> about had a gun. I can agree that they may have
> overreacted by bringing the swat team. But how
> many times do you hear of these types of domestic
> situations end up with one or both parties dead. I
> don't think that the gentleman should have died
> because he and his girl had a fight. But I read
> posts on hear all the time regarding stories of a
> cop shooting or shooting at an inner city kid who
> chose to run as the officer approached. Most of
> those post are about how you shouldn't try to run
> from police,you should obey police instructions
> (especially when they got the toolies out), and
> how only a guilty person would try to evade/escape
> the police. I'm not judging this guy. I've read
> some posts here that say he was a wonderful man,
> and I'm sure he'll be missed. I guess i can see
> how difficult the police's job can be at times. A
> tragedy though no doubt.

The police had nothing to go on other than hearsay. If he in fact had no guns but his girlfriend told the police that he did. Do you think the outcome would have been the same? I think so.

Posted by: tojo45 ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:36AM

It's a different type of situation of course, but with incidents like this, the recent case in VA where a deputy went home and returned with his gun and killed a young unarmed man after an argument on the street, the two cases in Frederick where they basically strangled a young man with Down syndrome in a movie theater, and another in the middle of the night, in his house in a Swat type raid, when they could have easily gone to his day job at a gas station and arrested him, all points to the need for a serious conversation about how things should be handled across the country. My nephew is a policeman and I appreciate the difficulty of their job, but death at the hands of our protectors is unconscionable.

Posted by: stooges_cubed ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:37AM

My second issue is this: Are police using paramilitary methods of response as a result of the increasing fervor and rhetoric of 2nd right amendment solutions by right wing echo chambers?

Posted by: rwilliams ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:39AM

The NRA's stance that everyone should own a gun and be ready to use it has put police at a clear disadvantage when dealing with situations where the person is known to be packin'.

Posted by: Phaedrus511 ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:40AM

The life of the shooting officer is going to be interesting for the next few months. Particularly if they found the body of Mr. Geer was indeed unarmed. And what harm was he doing anyone? He threw the Girlfriend's clothes out, and it doesn't say he harmed anyone. She is the one who called police to say, "He's armed!" Now he's dead, and I hope she's satisfied.

Posted by: goldfish ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:41AM

tojo45 Wrote:
> It's a different type of situation of course, but
> with incidents like this, the recent case in VA
> where a deputy went home and returned with his gun
> and killed a young unarmed man after an argument
> on the street, the two cases in Frederick where
> they basically strangled a young man with Down
> syndrome in a movie theater, and another in the
> middle of the night, in his house in a Swat type
> raid, when they could have easily gone to his day
> job at a gas station and arrested him, all points
> to the need for a serious conversation about how
> things should be handled across the country. My
> nephew is a policeman and I appreciate the
> difficulty of their job, but death at the hands of
> our protectors is unconscionable.

Unfortunately you missed another recent one involving the woman police shot in the Costco. Four deputies had her surrounded and couldn't take her alive

Posted by: mentholatum ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:43AM

goldfish Wrote:
> tojo45 Wrote:
> -----
> > It's a different type of situation of course,
> but
> > with incidents like this, the recent case in VA
> > where a deputy went home and returned with his
> gun
> > and killed a young unarmed man after an
> argument
> > on the street, the two cases in Frederick
> where
> > they basically strangled a young man with Down
> > syndrome in a movie theater, and another in the
> > middle of the night, in his house in a Swat
> type
> > raid, when they could have easily gone to his
> day
> > job at a gas station and arrested him, all
> points
> > to the need for a serious conversation about
> how
> > things should be handled across the country.
> My
> > nephew is a policeman and I appreciate the
> > difficulty of their job, but death at the hands
> of
> > our protectors is unconscionable.
>
> Unfortunately you missed another recent one
> involving the woman police shot in the Costco.
> Four deputies had her surrounded and couldn't take
> her alive

Pretty laughable. I'm 66 and pretty sure that I could have come out of that with less than a scrape all by myself. Any rational man or woman would have been more successful in defusing the Costco situation. All she had for a weapon was a "Pizza Cutter".

Posted by: GRILLADES ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:44AM

rwilliams Wrote:
> The NRA's stance that everyone should own a gun
> and be ready to use it has put police at a clear
> disadvantage when dealing with situations where
> the person is known to be packin'.

This has nothing to do with the NRA, and everything to do with a police force that is too hyped up on acting like the military

Posted by: Clarified ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:47AM

mentholatum Wrote:
> goldfish Wrote:
> -----
> > tojo45 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > It's a different type of situation of course,
> > but
> > > with incidents like this, the recent case in
> VA
> > > where a deputy went home and returned with
> his
> > gun
> > > and killed a young unarmed man after an
> > argument
> > > on the street, the two cases in Frederick
> > where
> > > they basically strangled a young man with
> Down
> > > syndrome in a movie theater, and another in
> the
> > > middle of the night, in his house in a Swat
> > type
> > > raid, when they could have easily gone to his
> > day
> > > job at a gas station and arrested him, all
> > points
> > > to the need for a serious conversation about
> > how
> > > things should be handled across the country.
>
> > My
> > > nephew is a policeman and I appreciate the
> > > difficulty of their job, but death at the
> hands
> > of
> > > our protectors is unconscionable.
> >
> > Unfortunately you missed another recent one
> > involving the woman police shot in the Costco.
> > Four deputies had her surrounded and couldn't
> take
> > her alive
>
> Pretty laughable. I'm 66 and pretty sure that I
> could have come out of that with less than a
> scrape all by myself. Any rational man or woman
> would have been more successful in defusing the
> Costco situation. All she had for a weapon was a
> "Pizza Cutter".

In the case of the Costco shooting the lady was carrying a large knife/pizza cutter, not to be confused with the small round ones that most people think of. Not that this justifies her shooting, but I wanted everyone to realize what it was she was carrying to avoid confusion.

Posted by: stooges_cubed ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:48AM

When Fairfax Police use terms such as "Barricaded himself", arrive to every situation with a SWAT team, use paramilitary tactical methods, and treat every situation as if it were the Battle of the Bulge, we know we have to have a serious discussion.

Posted by: dan_l ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:48AM

GRILLADES Wrote:
> rwilliams Wrote:
> -----
> > The NRA's stance that everyone should own a gun
> > and be ready to use it has put police at a
> clear
> > disadvantage when dealing with situations where
> > the person is known to be packin'.
>
> This has nothing to do with the NRA, and
> everything to do with a police force that is too
> hyped up on acting like the military

On a recent NPR program, the Concord, NH, police chief said he doesn't feel any threat at all when he sees a citizen openly carrying a handgun or carrying concealed. The police chief of my town teaches the legal part of the local firearms safety course and advocates concealed carry. I know other police officers to support open and concealed carry.

The Concord police chief also said in response to a caller's statement about there being an "arms race" between civilians and the police that there is no "arms race" between the police and armed civilians. He said that over the years the rate of gun ownership has increased while the rate of firearms crimes has decreased in the U.S.

Posted by: Uh... ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:55AM

Summerrd7 Wrote:
> I speak from a point of view of someone that lives
> in Fairfax County, have called 911 Fairfax county
> police for domestic violence on more than several
> occasions. I have a daughter with the man germane
> to my case and a 26 year relationship with him. I
> lived in fear for many years and suffered many
> beating which went unreported. In my case when
> calling 911 the officers came to the residence,
> spoke to my spouse who was too barricaded himself
> in the house (the only difference he did NOT open
> the door.) When the police asked me if there were
> weapons, I honestly said, I don't know, there were
> knives I knew of from the kitchen. After several
> minutes of speaking with my spouse barricaded in
> the house, the officers suggested I find somewhere
> else to be for the duration. About 3 weeks went
> by and the police arrested my spouse outside,
> finally mowing the grass. I also speak from a
> perspective of knowing John and the family and I
> believe the police, Fairfax police, could have
> handled this situation much differently and not
> escalated this event for a totally different
> outcome, one in which could have saved the life of
> John. The same highly trained policeman that came
> to my door and helped me a few years ago was not
> the same trained police man that visited John's
> door. I believe there could have been a different
> protocol or outcome in this situation. I do hope
> the investigation is forth right and honest for
> all the loved ones involved.

A couple of points need to be made...

1). For domestic related incidents the police can't assume that "Things will be alright" and come back in a few weeks to talk to the persons involved. In the past, there have been cases where one spouse murdered the other not long after the reported incident.

2). The police were talking to the guy and he just stood there at his front door for a while. He didn't cooperate with police. He stood there at the door for what? 20-30 minutes plus? The police told him to get on the ground, that's so they can check him for weapons, etc. He did none of that.

The moral of the story is this, under the Va state code, you have to cooperate with police. When you don't, bad things happen.

Posted by: Uh ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:57AM

cssnms Wrote:
> I have known John for 20 years, he was a good guy.
> He was a son, a father. a husband and a friend
> to many. What happened was completely
> unnecessary. I hope a thorough investigation is
> conducted!

He wasn't a husband, he and the woman were Common-law, that means he and his girlfriend were never married they just lived together for a long time. He also apparently was ignorant that he was supposed to cooperate with police.

***Note: I want to make it clear that despite my negativity towards the victim for being so goddamned stupid, I don't feel he should have been shot. I do feel that he contributed alot to this situation, as well as his "Common-Law Wife".

Posted by: asfadsfasdfadfas ()
Date: September 02, 2013 08:03AM

NBC4 video Wrote:
> NBC4 has a video that was taken by a neighbor...
>
> Man Fatally Shot During Fairfax Co. Standoff ID'd
> http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Shots-Fire
> d-at-Springfield-Va-Home-221693811.html
>
> Police have released the name of the man killed
> during a barricade situation in Springfield, Va.
> Thursday.
>
> Fairfax County Police were dispatched to the 7900
> block of Pebble Brook Court around 2:30 p.m. for a
> domestic disturbance and a possibly armed
> individual.
>
> In amateur video from the scene obtained
> exclusively by News4, the suspect is seen at the
> front door of his home while officers, K-9 units
> and SWAT team members surround the area.
>
> "He refused to come outside and he would not allow
> officers inside," Fairfax County Police officer
> Bud Walker said.
>
> The man, identified as 46-year-old John Geer,
> negotiated with police for about 40 minutes before
> a patrol officer fired a single shot into the home
> and struck Geer.
>
> Geer then barricaded himself inside the home.
>
> In order to help him, the home's front door was
> knocked in by a police tanker, and SWAT team
> members made their way inside at approximately 5
> p.m. Officials later confirmed the gunshot fired
> by police earlier in the afternoon had killed the
> suspect.
>
> Erica Epps told News4 she has been neighbors with
> Geer for nine years.
>
> "I feel really bad for the wife and children, we
> know the kids," Epps said. "[He seemed] like a
> good guy."
>
> Police have not said why shots were fired into the
> home or what they found inside upon entry.
>
> The patrol officer who fired the shot has been
> placed on administrative leave while an
> investigation is conducted.

Thanks for posting this video link from the neighbor. Check out the cop behind the tree with the gun pointed on Geer. Notice how Geer ignores everything they tell him to do? I saw a few posts where somene said he couldn't hear them. That's 100% bullshit. When the cops show up at your door to investigate a call, you do what they tell you to do. You don't stand at your front door and play filibuster. Unmarried but shacked up with a hoe, multiple kids by multiple women? People thinking this is such a great guy? Armed or not, playing games with the police is what got him shot.

Date: September 02, 2013 09:59AM

> Thanks for posting this video link from the
> neighbor. Check out the cop behind the tree with
> the gun pointed on Geer. Notice how Geer ignores
> everything they tell him to do? I saw a few posts
> where somene said he couldn't hear them. That's
> 100% bullshit. When the cops show up at your door
> to investigate a call, you do what they tell you
> to do. You don't stand at your front door and play
> filibuster. Unmarried but shacked up with a hoe,
> multiple kids by multiple women? People thinking
> this is such a great guy? Armed or not, playing
> games with the police is what got him shot.

Your an absolute idiot !..With your strong command of Ebonics, its apparent how sharp you are. But I will try to go slow so you can follow along.

He had been "shacked up" for 25 years. The "hoe" is a programmer for the DEA probably making more money in a month then you make in a year. Both children came from the same mother. So before you pass your judgment from behind the grill at McDonalds, you may want to take a closer look in the mirror

Before letting that dribble flow from your empty head, try commenting on the facts. A distraught, depressed UNARMED man was shot while standing in the doorway of his own home. This was a man who needed help, not a bullet.

Posted by: The Hard Truth ()
Date: September 02, 2013 10:26AM

asfadsfasdfadfas Wrote:
> Armed or not, playing games with the police is
> what got him shot.

"Zee penalty for disobeying zee police, is DEATH!"

Man, you would've fit right in with the SS.

On second thought, they might've been too lenient for you.

Date: September 02, 2013 12:10PM

The Hard Truth Wrote:
> asfadsfasdfadfas Wrote:
> -----
> > Armed or not, playing games with the police is
> > what got him shot.
>
> "Zee penalty for disobeying zee police, is
> DEATH!"
>
> Man, you would've fit right in with the SS.
>
> On second thought, they might've been too lenient
> for you.

It is when you're the suspect of a reported crime, in this case a domestic dispute where you're throwing your common-law wife's clothes on the front lawn and there are reports of you running around with a gun. Trust me, allow the police to do their jobs and for God's sake don't make any sudden moves.

Date: September 02, 2013 12:15PM

Helium Wrote:
> Your an absolute idiot !..With your strong command
> of Ebonics, its apparent how sharp you are. But I
> will try to go slow so you can follow along.
>
> He had been "shacked up" for 25 years. The "hoe"
> is a programmer for the DEA probably making more
> money in a month then you make in a year. Both
> children came from the same mother. So before you
> pass your judgment from behind the grill at
> McDonalds, you may want to take a closer look in
> the mirror
>
> Before letting that dribble flow from your empty
> head, try commenting on the facts. A distraught,
> depressed UNARMED man was shot while standing in
> the doorway of his own home. This was a man who
> needed help, not a bullet.

She's still a hoe. Being unmarried and with a black guy for 25 years, and she was a DEA agent huh? Which means the house had firearms. "A distraught, depressed UNARMED man". True it looks like he was unarmed, but it also looks like he wasn't very smart. When a cop has a gun pointed at you, you lay down and allow them to do their job.
Attachments:
Cop.PNG

Posted by: George Zimmerman ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:16PM

Why all the fuss? Another negro got plugged by the police, since when is that a crime?

Posted by: Noisy Neighbors ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:18PM

Helium Wrote:
> > Thanks for posting this video link from the
> > neighbor. Check out the cop behind the tree
> with
> > the gun pointed on Geer. Notice how Geer
> ignores
> > everything they tell him to do? I saw a few
> posts
> > where somene said he couldn't hear them. That's
> > 100% bullshit. When the cops show up at your
> door
> > to investigate a call, you do what they tell
> you
> > to do. You don't stand at your front door and
> play
> > filibuster. Unmarried but shacked up with a
> hoe,
> > multiple kids by multiple women? People
> thinking
> > this is such a great guy? Armed or not, playing
> > games with the police is what got him shot.
>
> Your an absolute idiot !..With your strong command
> of Ebonics, its apparent how sharp you are. But I
> will try to go slow so you can follow along.
>
> He had been "shacked up" for 25 years. The "hoe"
> is a programmer for the DEA probably making more
> money in a month then you make in a year. Both
> children came from the same mother. So before you
> pass your judgment from behind the grill at
> McDonalds, you may want to take a closer look in
> the mirror
>
> Before letting that dribble flow from your empty
> head, try commenting on the facts. A distraught,
> depressed UNARMED man was shot while standing in
> the doorway of his own home. This was a man who
> needed help, not a bullet.

He did get help, he ate a bullet. Problem solved.

Posted by: Cleaning house ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:20PM

The problem here is that black people think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. Guess what black people? You can't.

Posted by: Pacifist ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:32PM

I am disgusted by the comments on this page and the rascist remarks that abound here. A non-lethal (peaceful) solution was always clearly available and has worked effectively in the past. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the N-Trap309...
Attachments:
B502.jpg

Posted by: ????????? ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:47PM

Why do you think he's black? I never met him, but I have met one of his daughters - which is why it would surprise me if he were not white

Posted by: Race Is ()
Date: September 02, 2013 01:17PM

Dude was white not that it matters. That is racist.

Posted by: Know them? ()
Date: September 02, 2013 01:32PM

If you know the dead man and his 'girl friend' (what's her name anyway?) go ahead and post pictures of both. Else STFU.

Posted by: FreedomLvr ()
Date: September 02, 2013 01:45PM

MP5N Wrote:

> Man I love all the Monday morning quarter backs.
> First of all more police officers are killed on
> domestic violence/disturbance calls than any other
> type. Second, (by limited information released to
> this point) when a suspect lowers his hand 6
> inches, what do you think police officers are
> going to do?!?! They are trained to shoot to
> kill, not wound, in order to protect themselves.
> An officer isn't going to be able to tell if a
> suspect has a concealed weapon under his clothes.
> Not to mention when the suspect retreated back
> into his home and closed the door, they have know
> way of knowing of the door was boobytrapped. Or
> of the suspect was waiting to shoot an officer
> that comes thru the door. Hence why SWAT Team
> made a tactical entry. You all think you can do
> better, train for 2 years, strap on the uniform
> and badge and see how you would do.
>
> FreedomLvr you are completed retarded.

_________

I notice that you keep throwing around the word "suspect". So why don't you tell us ALL EXACTLY what crime this guy was "suspected" of committing? Go ahead, give it a try you dimwitted ass hat, we are ALL listening!!!

Date: September 02, 2013 01:47PM

I think there is a big misunderstanding here. The man shot in Springfield was white, not black. The black male that was shot by police wasn't even in this state (this time).

Posted by: FFXBlows -FaceIt ()
Date: September 02, 2013 01:49PM

A man's home is his castle, remember that old saying? I guess that doesn't pertain if the castle is in the Fourth Reich (Fairfax County).

Posted by: Terrible analogy ()
Date: September 02, 2013 01:52PM

FFXBlows -FaceIt Wrote:
> A man's home is his castle, remember that old
> saying? I guess that doesn't pertain if the
> castle is in the Fourth Reich (Fairfax County).

LOL, that's a poor analogy. Only Lords lived in castles. Are you suggesting that we go back to a feudal system or a monarchy? Do us all a favor and go back to Russia you fucking communist.

Posted by: Father Bob ()
Date: September 02, 2013 02:40PM

I see this incident as a symptom of the evils in our society. Where one wrong leads to another to another. Let us banish the anger and hatred from our hearts and pray for peace and justice.

Increase, O God, the spirit of neighborliness among all who dwell on earth, that in peril we may uphold one another, in suffering tend one another, and in loneliness befriend one another. Grant us brave and enduring hearts that we may be strengthened, until the strife of these days be ended and you give peace in our time; through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Let us be filled with the presence of your great compassion toward ourselves and toward all living beings.

Realizing that we are all nourished from the same source of life, may we so live that others be not deprived of air, food, water, shelter, or the chance to live.

With humility, let us work and pray for the establishment of peace in our hearts and peace on earth. Justice for one and Justice for all through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Attachments:
Animation_candle_flame.gif

Date: September 02, 2013 03:25PM

MP5N Wrote:

> Man I love all the Monday morning quarter backs.
> First of all more police officers are killed on
> domestic violence/disturbance calls than any other
> type.

False its traffic stops and police in Fairfax County dont get killed this isnt LA or Detroit or Chicago.

>Second, (by limited information released to
> this point) when a suspect lowers his hand 6
> inches, what do you think police officers are
> going to do?!?!

Not panic and fire a single shot or accidentally have their gun go off. Can you tell me what part of the academy theyre taught when facing an armed suspect to only have a single officer with a hand gun fire a single round at a barricaded suspect whose alone?

>They are trained to shoot to
> kill, not wound, in order to protect themselves.

Irrelevant to what happened. Everyone with a brain knows if you shoot its too kill, the shot should have never been taken.

> An officer isn't going to be able to tell if a
> suspect has a concealed weapon under his clothes.

So now youre advocating them just shooting everyone and sorting it out later because they could have a concealed weapon?

> Not to mention when the suspect retreated back
> into his home and closed the door, they have know
> way of knowing of the door was boobytrapped.

Again Fairfax county, not Baghdad or a Baltimore Drug tower. Almost a completely retarded argument on your part because they broke the door down anyway.

>Or
> of the suspect was waiting to shoot an officer
> that comes thru the door. Hence why SWAT Team
> made a tactical entry.

Did you miss the part about a patrolmen shooting the guy an hour earlier for no reason?

>You all think you can do
> better, train for 2 years, strap on the uniform
> and badge and see how you would do.

They dont train for 2 years the academy isnt even close to half that time.

Posted by: 6X ()
Date: September 02, 2013 04:11PM

Wow, I just listened to the scanner recorded tape. The long time girlfriend, 24yrs. call 911 because He was throwing her things around the house as she was moving out. The guns are all locked in the safe & no know drug or alcohol is envoled. How it got to "he has been hit"? I don't know. Kinda F'd Up.

Date: September 02, 2013 04:18PM

6X Wrote:
> Wow, I just listened to the scanner recorded tape.
> The long time girlfriend, 24yrs. call 911 because
> He was throwing her things around the house as she
> was moving out. The guns are all locked in the
> safe & no know drug or alcohol is envoled. How it
> got to "he has been hit"? I don't know. Kinda F'd
> Up.

Can you post it up here for us to listen to?

Date: September 02, 2013 05:08PM

I will try see if this works.
Attachments:
201308291329-456921-6164.mp3

Date: September 02, 2013 07:26PM

6X Wrote:
> I will try see if this works.

That didn't work, try uploading it here and then share the link.

http://picosong.com/

Posted by: moreinfo ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:47PM

Here's another question. The patrol officer shot him, he retreated and shut and locked his door. Since when is that a barricade? Also, the cop knew he hit him, he saw him grab his side. The cops waited for over an hour until they entered and let the paramedics go in to him. The told the news the SWAT truck busted down the door so that they could help him. BULLSHIT! They waited over an hour. He had a .40 caliber shot to the chest. He bled to death in a few minutes. If they wanted to help him, why didn't they go in and get him help? It looked like they had half of the county here.

Posted by: Fact Check2 ()
Date: September 02, 2013 08:12PM

No such thing as "common law" spouse in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Dummie should have cooperated

Date: September 02, 2013 08:17PM

Fact Check2 Wrote:
> No such thing as "common law" spouse in the
> Commonwealth of Virginia. Dummie should have
> cooperated

Not true. You cant start a common law marriage in VA but if you had one in another state and move to VA its still valid.

Getting your first statement wrong doesnt make an incorrect second statement surprising

Date: September 02, 2013 09:20PM

Posted by: Bottom Line ()
Date: September 03, 2013 01:30AM

Final Solution Wrote:
> Bottom Line Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > Should they just walk away and just hope he
> calms
> > down?
>
> Yes.
>
> Establish a perimeter and call in the negotiating
> team.

Um, hello? That's exactly what they did. You saw officers around the back and officers in the front. One officer was negotiating while the other officers were probably trained to watch for weapons. As to why there was only one shot? Is it possible that only one officer was in the position to see a gun in his hand? Surely the cops in the back couldn't. I'd be more worried if the cops all started shooting the house at once. Again, I'm playing devil's advocate and everything on this thread is pure speculation. But guess what? We all have the right to name call and point out how "stupid" someone is because of a difference of opinion. Me personally? I'm sick of the argument that someone is "within their rights" to do this or that. The poor man was within his rights to own or have firearms. The poor man was within his rights to get angry at his girlfriend (or wife). The poor man was within his rights to not surrender to the police. But where did exercising all these rights lead him in the end? If anyone finds himself or herself in the same position as this poor man, toss ego to the side and think about your family. Don't become a martyr for people to talk about on this website or any others.

Date: September 03, 2013 02:03AM

Bottom Line Wrote:

> Um, hello? That's exactly what they did. You saw
> officers around the back and officers in the
> front. One officer was negotiating while the
> other officers were probably trained to watch for
> weapons.

Yes if you ignore the fact they killed him during that thats what they did. Kind of a big detail.

> As to why there was only one shot? Is
> it possible that only one officer was in the
> position to see a gun in his hand? Surely the
> cops in the back couldn't.

No its not possible. Had that been the case multiple shots would have been fired. NOTHING in their training says fire a single shot from a handgun. Look at any police shooting in the country where someone pulls a weapons, multiple shots every time and usually from everyone there. Only snipers take a single shot.

Furthermore they always immediately release if someone had a weapon, it justifies a shooting. They havent meaning there was no weapon.

> I'd be more worried if
> the cops all started shooting the house at once.
> Again, I'm playing devil's advocate and everything
> on this thread is pure speculation. But guess
> what?

Not really we know a lot of facts and their silence on the issue speaks volumes about what really happened. Whenever they go dead quiet its not good for the police. Theres no pending investigation they have to keep from tipping a suspect off the guy is dead. T

>We all have the right to name call and
> point out how "stupid" someone is because of a
> difference of opinion. Me personally? I'm sick
> of the argument that someone is "within their
> rights" to do this or that. The poor man was
> within his rights to own or have firearms. The
> poor man was within his rights to get angry at his
> girlfriend (or wife). The poor man was within his
> rights to not surrender to the police. But where
> did exercising all these rights lead him in the
> end?

To being murdered. Im sorry youre sick of people having rights. North Korea is a great place to move is you dont value individual rights. Your own admission stats the guy was within his rights, the cops were not within theirs to take that shot.

> If anyone finds himself or herself in the
> same position as this poor man, toss ego to the
> side and think about your family. Don't become a
> martyr for people to talk about on this website or
> any others.

None of that justifies the police murdering someone because he wouldnt just blindly follow unlawful orders. Its perfectly legal to throw someone out of your house. If something is broken in the process thats a civil matter not criminal. It turned into a pissing contest where the cops were going to assert their authority for no reason other than they could. Its all the us vs them mentality they have.

As long as enough people like you make excuses for them acting like a Marine Unit kicking down doors in Baghdad they will continue to do so and it will only get worse. Actually I take that back, the military holds a higher use of force standard and court martials people who dont meet it

Posted by: Fact Check2 ()
Date: September 03, 2013 03:04AM

Dummie still should have listened.

Posted by: Fact CHeck2 ()
Date: September 03, 2013 03:07AM

Sounds like someone needs to move to Canada or Syria or something.

Posted by: AreUreallyThisBigOfADick? ()
Date: September 03, 2013 05:04AM

Terrible analogy Wrote:
LOL, that's a poor analogy. Only Lords lived in
> castles. Are you suggesting that we go back to a
> feudal system or a monarchy? Do us all a favor and
> go back to Russia you fucking communist.

_________

Why Yes I am advocating that a feudal or monarchical system be implemented in America forthwith!!!....you have me all figured out, Einstein!!

Dude....it is an OLD EXPRESSION. You would have to be on bathsalts to take the way you did. Go eat a 9MM barrel and get back to us, K? 8-)

Posted by: Davey Crrockett ()
Date: September 03, 2013 10:26PM

1. County attorney will find no wrongdoing.

2. FCPD will be cleared of another f*ck-up, which it royally specializes in.

3. Taxpayers will have to foot the bill for the $2-3 million wrongful death settlement that will ultimately be litigated and agreed to out of court.

FCPD shoots.
Taxpayers pay.

Remember the IHOP.

Posted by: fucktard finder ()
Date: September 03, 2013 10:34PM

Davey Crrockett Wrote:
> 1. County attorney will find no wrongdoing.
>
> 2. FCPD will be cleared of another f*ck-up, which
> it royally specializes in.
>
> 3. Taxpayers will have to foot the bill for the
> $2-3 million wrongful death settlement that will
> ultimately be litigated and agreed to out of
> court.
>
> FCPD shoots.
> Taxpayers pay.
>
> Remember the IHOP.

IHOP was Alexandria City fucktard.

Posted by: gilligan's island ()
Date: September 03, 2013 11:07PM

Thanks for all the info. i knew John for a period of time and learned of his death through a mutual contact. I was shocked by the news as it seemed so out of character that he would be caught up in a stand off with police. Searching for answers, I listened to the radio scanner archive posted here and Confirmed the following from the previous post:

*the first call that came in was from the girlfriend. The info relayed to officers was that he was tossing her stuff around, tosssing it out, that she was in the process of moving out. The dispatcher said there were no drugs or alcohol, two guns in a locked gun safe.
*approximately 10-15 minutes lapse and you hear an officer state he "won't come out" and then you hear them state that Geer says he is armed with a gun and wont hesitate to use it against them if necessary. various officers state this to dispatch. One officer is going next door to the neighbor's house to speak to the girlfriend.

Posted by: Mr GFR ()
Date: September 04, 2013 01:34AM

gilligan's island Wrote:
> Thanks for all the info. i knew John for a period
> of time and learned of his death through a mutual
> contact. I was shocked by the news as it seemed
> so out of character that he would be caught up in
> a stand off with police. Searching for answers, I
> listened to the radio scanner archive posted here
> and Confirmed the following from the previous
> post:
>
> *the first call that came in was from the
> girlfriend. The info relayed to officers was that
> he was tossing her stuff around, tosssing it out,
> that she was in the process of moving out. The
> dispatcher said there were no drugs or alcohol,
> two guns in a locked gun safe.
> *approximately 10-15 minutes lapse and you hear an
> officer state he "won't come out" and then you
> hear them state that Geer says he is armed with a
> gun and wont hesitate to use it against them if
> necessary. various officers state this to
> dispatch. One officer is going next door to the
> neighbor's house to speak to the girlfriend.
>
> ...

Do not forget that the cops have computers in their cars. Most of the information on calls are sent to the officers via the computer. They may have been a lot of additional information that officers got that was not in the radio traffic. You need to have both the radio traffic and the computer traffic to get a better picture of what was going on.

Date: September 04, 2013 04:50AM

Liberal Logic 27 Wrote:
> Fact Check2 Wrote:
> -----
> > No such thing as "common law" spouse in the
> > Commonwealth of Virginia. Dummie should have
> > cooperated
>
>
> Not true. You cant start a common law marriage in
> VA but if you had one in another state and move to
> VA its still valid.
>
> Getting your first statement wrong doesnt make an
> incorrect second statement surprising

That's correct, it used to be different some years ago (7 years together = Common Law Marriage), but not anymore since the law has since changed...

Marriage in Virginia
http://www.vsb.org/site/publications/marriage-in-virginia

3. Does Virginia have "Common Law Marriages?"
No. A common law marriage is one by agreement of two people who consider themselves married without any formal ceremony or license and hold themselves out as married. Such arrangements are not marriages in Virginia, but they will be recognized here if they were valid in the state where they took place and if they were between people who would have been eligible to marry under Virginia law.

Date: September 04, 2013 04:56AM

gilligan's island Wrote:
> Thanks for all the info. i knew John for a period
> of time and learned of his death through a mutual
> contact. I was shocked by the news as it seemed
> so out of character that he would be caught up in
> a stand off with police. Searching for answers, I
> listened to the radio scanner archive posted here
> and Confirmed the following from the previous
> post:
>
> *the first call that came in was from the
> girlfriend. The info relayed to officers was that
> he was tossing her stuff around, tosssing it out,
> that she was in the process of moving out. The
> dispatcher said there were no drugs or alcohol,
> two guns in a locked gun safe.
> *approximately 10-15 minutes lapse and you hear an
> officer state he "won't come out" and then you
> hear them state that Geer says he is armed with a
> gun and wont hesitate to use it against them if
> necessary. various officers state this to
> dispatch. One officer is going next door to the
> neighbor's house to speak to the girlfriend.
>
> ...

Thanks for posting that 6X, anyone can download it now and listen to it.

Posted by: The Moral of the Story ()
Date: September 04, 2013 02:51PM

The moral of this story? Never put your trust in a woman. Take a lesson from Samson. OH and yes, listen to the police and no sudden moves.

Posted by: Dad speaks ()
Date: September 04, 2013 05:43PM

From the Post:

A Springfield man who was killed by a Fairfax County police officer during a standoff at his home Thursday was not carrying a gun at the time of the shooting, but one was found nearby afterward, his father said a detective had told him.

John Geer, 46, was shot after officers tried, without success, for 50 minutes to persuade him to leave his Pebble Brook Court home, police said. Officers had been called to the scene by Geer’s girlfriend, who police said had reported that he was armed.

Geer’s father, Don Geer, was outside the home as officers talked with his son. He has said he watched as his son stood with empty hands resting on top of a screen door at the front door. When John Geer lowered his hands about six inches, his father said, one officer opened fire, and John Geer was hit. He retreated into the home, where a SWAT team later found him dead.

Don Geer said Tuesday that a detective investigating the case told him that his son was not holding a gun at the time of the shooting and that he did not have one on his person. Geer said the detective told him that officers found a holstered handgun on a stairway landing that is a “couple of steps” from the front door.

Geer said the officer should not have shot his son.

“If he doesn’t have a weapon in his immediate possession, the officer should not have fired,” Don Geer said. “He would have to have turned around, bent over and then picked up the gun to present a threat. It’s pretty hard to say the shooting was justifiable.”

Geer said he could not hear the conversation between the officers and his son before the shooting. He said the detective declined to say what had transpired.

County Police Chief Edwin C. Roessler Jr. expressed his condolences Tuesday for John Geer’s death, but he declined to comment on the facts of the case. “My commitment is that a thorough investigation will be conducted,” he said.

Police have not said whether John Geer was armed or why the officer opened fire, and they have declined to discuss the conversation between John Geer and the officers before the shooting.

On the day of the shooting, John Geer was distraught that his girlfriend — the mother of his two teenage daughters — planned to leave him, and he had been throwing her belongings out of the house, his father said.

John Geer, a kitchen designer and installer, had never been convicted of a violent crime in Fairfax County.

Posted by: just the facts ()
Date: September 04, 2013 06:07PM

Davey Crrockett Wrote:
> 1. County attorney will find no wrongdoing.
>
> 2. FCPD will be cleared of another f*ck-up, which
> it royally specializes in.
>
> 3. Taxpayers will have to foot the bill for the
> $2-3 million wrongful death settlement that will
> ultimately be litigated and agreed to out of
> court.
>
> FCPD shoots.
> Taxpayers pay.
>
> Remember the IHOP.

Cool story bro,,except the IHOP is in the City of Alexandria and the cop was an off duty Alexandria cop, nice try though

Posted by: Closure ()
Date: September 04, 2013 06:54PM

Dad speaks Wrote:
> From the Post:
>
> Don Geer said Tuesday that a detective
> investigating the case told him that his son was
> not holding a gun at the time of the shooting and
> that he did not have one on his person. Geer said
> the detective told him that officers found a
> holstered handgun on a stairway landing that is a
> “couple of steps” from the front door.

And there we go...One bullet later and it was all over.

Posted by: that'salotoftrafficviolations ()
Date: September 04, 2013 07:06PM

SpeedLimit Wrote:
> Wow,that's a lot of tickets. Shows that he thumbs
> his nose at even simple laws.

or he got harrassed.

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: September 05, 2013 06:24AM

This is really scary. While I generally have been impressed with FCPD, this and the other case involving the shooting of a gambling suspect, are reminders that more safeguards need to be put into place.

For this case, its time for the Commonwealth Attorney of Virginia, along with prosecutors from other jurisdictions to conduct this investigation. This really sucks.

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.