HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mega Mansion foolishness in Vienna Virginia. WHO IN THE FUCK THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?
Posted by: Maple Avenuer ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:17PM

2bv8kx.jpg

I think this was built back in 2007.
Located less than a block from the water tower.
WHO IN THE FUCK THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mega Mansion foolishness in Vienna Virginia. WHO IN THE FUCK THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?
Posted by: Ugly house ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:19PM

That house doesn't even blend in w/ the surrounding neighborhood.

TEAR IT DOWN!

Re: Mega Mansion foolishness in Vienna Virginia. WHO IN THE FUCK THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?
Posted by: Housing Authority ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:26PM

There's the aesthetic and the law. We don't deal in the aesthetic...we deal in the law and this property conforms to the laws governing its design and construction. If you don't like this then you need to lobby your politicians to change the laws.

Posted by: facepalm ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:27PM

Not sure I'd call it a mansion in the traditional sense of the word, but they definitely over-improved for the neighborhood!

Posted by: down it goes ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:30PM

You just know it is a boarding house. Call Code Compliance. They will tear it down and build a turf maintenance workshop there, maybe even a trolley garage.

Posted by: lolwtf2 ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:32PM

Well, it'd be rude to go into what I really thought of the place, but let's just say I'm not a fan and wouldn't purchase this residence or future parking lot.

This is yet another end of the spectrum of what not having an HOA will do for you.

Posted by: Tapawingo Dweller ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:38PM

Mind your own business.

You sound jelly, ya lil bitch.

Posted by: LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:39PM

348rt6p.jpg

LOOK AT THIS SHIT THE HOUSE IS ALMOST AS TALL AS THE WATER TOWER... LOL

Posted by: sleezy renters ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:40PM

It's probably a flophouse.

Posted by: meep ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:40PM

Much of Annandale looks like this, where you see what looks a like huge multifamily home next to small houses. It would irritate me to have this monstronisty on my street, and I would flip out if people were tearing down my neighboring houses to move in 87 of their relatives. A large house can still look extremely trashy.

Posted by: Falling Church ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:48PM

You see this in Falls Church as well, especially over near the Annandale Road/50 intersection area. People buy this small houses and then just build onto them rather than tearing down and starting over. Someone who is approving these building plans need to have their heads checked.

Posted by: so ghetto ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:55PM

That crappy house will not age well.

Posted by: too much jelly in this thread ()
Date: August 20, 2013 01:00PM

You mopes sound so jelly. You wish you could afford to build a house like this. Instead, you are living in your mom's basement.

Posted by: lolwtf2 ()
Date: August 20, 2013 01:14PM

Looks like it was rebuilt in 2010..and was assessed at $899k by the county this year. Apparently it's now 5600 square feet .. not counting patio.

Posted by: the architect ()
Date: August 20, 2013 01:21PM

Trailer trash's idea of a mansion.

Posted by: you just jelly ()
Date: August 20, 2013 01:23PM

the architect Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trailer trash's idea of a mansion.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5IjgRYFRs3e7Jq1_QRMz

Posted by: bunch of morons ()
Date: August 20, 2013 01:41PM

Try to learn the difference between envy and jealousy you imbicile.

Posted by: no sale ()
Date: August 20, 2013 01:47PM

I'm thinking it was designed on a napkin.

Posted by: yup, you jelly ()
Date: August 20, 2013 01:52PM

bunch of morons Wrote:
> Try to learn the difference between envy and
> jealousy you imbicile.

You were saying?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jealous

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjQDISa2mJaC8-YXyJPol

Posted by: Turfster ()
Date: August 20, 2013 02:22PM

Vienna just wants the tax dollars from the house. A lot of the houses in Vienna are being torn down and mega mansions built.

Vienna is prime real estate, close to Tyson office parks and easy access to the subway.

Easy access to the subway means you're going to those mega mansions popping up.

Posted by: Truckster ()
Date: August 20, 2013 02:24PM

PS - Leave the mega mansions and tear down those pieces of shit next store.

Posted by: dreadful ()
Date: August 20, 2013 02:32PM

wow that is dreadful. the columns really compliment the cheap siding...

Posted by: POP-TOP-POP ()
Date: August 20, 2013 02:53PM

Appears to be poorly done. But its a Pop m top. The adjacent lots/homes will likely follow suit or demo to be new, once granny passes on. I'll bet that it's >4500 sq. ft. though. "resale value holds". Likely, they will turn a proffit on the flip , or whenever they sell. I.M.H.O. This is the same as most 1950's built subdivisions' in Fairfax. Just a matter of time....

Posted by: Happening All Over ()
Date: August 20, 2013 02:58PM

That house is hideous. The owner probably designed it himself. I can't imagine any self-respecting architect putting his stamp of approval on that.

For better or worse, this is happening all over inside the Beltway (although not often this bad). The previous owner of the property undoubtedly bought years ago for what would now be considered next to nothing. He probably made at least half a million in profit and retired somewhere far, far away. In twenty years, the whole block will look like that.

Posted by: West Springfield Dude ()
Date: August 20, 2013 03:09PM

There's a similar "build to the lot line set back" monstrosity over on Sherborne Ln in West Springfield. You can see the back of it from Rolling Road. At least with that one they didn't completely fuck up the appearance from the curb.

Posted by: Up Chuck ()
Date: August 20, 2013 03:18PM

NoVA is rife with these god-awful, fugly houses. It's amazing how many people are stupid enough to buy them. Then again, think how many retarded Americans there must be to have elected Obama to a second term. We are living in an Idiocracy.

Posted by: boarder ()
Date: August 20, 2013 03:25PM

Look on Craigslist. Rooms (shared) in this place are $75 a week.

Posted by: XXX ()
Date: August 20, 2013 03:25PM

Stop Taking pics of my fucking abode and mind your beezz wax

Posted by: something is missing ()
Date: August 20, 2013 03:29PM

What, no artificial turf?????

Posted by: Joey ()
Date: August 20, 2013 03:43PM

That's on Tapawingo. If you've driven on that road for oh, the past DECADE, you know this guy's been working on this monstrosity that long.

Posted by: Atherton-Smythe ()
Date: August 20, 2013 03:48PM

Some people don't know quality when they see it.

Posted by: Investor ()
Date: August 20, 2013 03:50PM

It has great value as an income producing property.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 20, 2013 03:51PM

That thing looks like it would blow away in a hurricane....and there is no consistent theme with the styling. It's like a hodge podge of different materials and architecture.

Posted by: Jealous Person ()
Date: August 20, 2013 04:42PM

These homes are mostly built by Asians or other vibrant and diverse peoples to house their extended family and strangers that share their ethnicity. There are a few near Fairfax City and I saw a few in Falls Church close to south Arlington.

We're going full 3rd world people. Soon there will be nowhere in the contiguous US to escape these uncouth, garish colonizers.

Only one car in the driveway is a good sign though. When you see 8 at once hit the panic switch.

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: August 20, 2013 05:12PM

Remove those 2 gaudy patio/balconies and the house wouldn't be that bad.

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: August 20, 2013 05:13PM

Double post, just like the double patios.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 05:13PM by Clobbersaurus.

Posted by: Real Investor ()
Date: August 20, 2013 05:15PM

Investor Wrote:
> It has great value as an income producing
> property.

That is one ignorant statement by a clear non-investor.

1. Nobody spends ten years building a monstrosity like that to turn around and rent it out. That is someone's idea of good taste and it is their dream home.

2. Between land costs and building costs, they must have spent at least $700k on that thing. I don't care how many people you stick in there (and the county limits you to four unrelated adults), you're not going to make that a cost-effective purchase. And I can't imagine a single family paying the kind of rent that you'd need to to live there, especially given the rest of the neighborhood.

There was a time when you could buy a property around here and rent it out for a net positive. That time died at least twenty years ago.

Posted by: Sharknado ()
Date: August 20, 2013 05:26PM

Pretty bad design. Looks like a strong wind would knock of the sides.

Posted by: Smart investor ()
Date: August 20, 2013 05:39PM

Real Investor Wrote:
> Investor Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It has great value as an income producing
> > property.
>
> That is one ignorant statement by a clear
> non-investor.
>
> 1. Nobody spends ten years building a monstrosity
> like that to turn around and rent it out. That is
> someone's idea of good taste and it is their dream
> home.
>
> 2. Between land costs and building costs, they
> must have spent at least $700k on that thing. I
> don't care how many people you stick in there (and
> the county limits you to four unrelated adults),
> you're not going to make that a cost-effective
> purchase. And I can't imagine a single family
> paying the kind of rent that you'd need to to live
> there, especially given the rest of the
> neighborhood.
>
> There was a time when you could buy a property
> around here and rent it out for a net positive.
> That time died at least twenty years ago.

Wrong, pack them in 5 per room and you make it up on volume. How did you think I was able to afford the finest vinyl siding? You'll need to use the bus because parking is not included.

Posted by: Annika ()
Date: August 20, 2013 05:41PM

Inside is still not finished, years later...how did this eyesore ever get issued a Certificate of Occupancy?

Posted by: peeper alert ()
Date: August 20, 2013 05:49PM

Annika Wrote:
> Inside is still not finished, years later...how
> did this eyesore ever get issued a Certificate of
> Occupancy?

Why are you peeping in the windows?

Posted by: Google Street View ()
Date: August 20, 2013 06:11PM

XXX Wrote:
> Stop Taking pics of my fucking abode and mind your
> beezz wax

Google street view is public domian.

Posted by: ANGRYDRUNK ()
Date: August 20, 2013 06:39PM

Yeah. It clashes with the abandoned property next door...

Posted by: GNDPK ()
Date: August 20, 2013 06:44PM

This house is on a main cut-through street in Vienna. It looks to me like they didn't hire an architect.

Posted by: Shit & Bigger Shit ()
Date: August 20, 2013 06:57PM

Well it's not like the neighborhood was a prize to begin with.

Posted by: I see this all the time in ()
Date: August 20, 2013 07:01PM

The working class sections of Long Island.

They must be from NY!

Posted by: Alex Buktre ()
Date: August 20, 2013 07:03PM

Arabs, Indians or Asians, who is it?

Date: August 20, 2013 07:37PM

Just imagine what a mess the plumbing and wiring is. Does this house need an inspection after these "improvements"?

Posted by: Codes ()
Date: August 20, 2013 09:14PM

boarder Wrote:
> Look on Craigslist. Rooms (shared) in this place
> are $75 a week.

That's against building codes. You can only have 4 non-family in a house.

Posted by: actual homeowner ()
Date: August 20, 2013 09:38PM

Codes Wrote:
> boarder Wrote:
> -----
> > Look on Craigslist. Rooms (shared) in this
> place
> > are $75 a week.
>
> That's against building codes. You can only have
> 4 non-family in a house.

They are all my cousins ;-)

Posted by: know nothing ()
Date: August 20, 2013 09:50PM

Alex Buktre Wrote:
> Arabs, Indians or Asians, who is it?

Indians. They built that "Taj Mahal" around the original house, you could see the whole house inside before they put the windows in. Apparently the town of Vienna does not have a building code restricting such tasteless houses.

Posted by: My guess... ()
Date: August 21, 2013 01:02AM

...is, the owners child is a newly graduated architect.

Posted by: Bob the Builder ()
Date: August 21, 2013 06:39AM

I bet there isn't a straight line anywhere in that place.

Posted by: ugly house ()
Date: August 21, 2013 07:51AM

That is as ugly a house as I have ever seen.

Posted by: LOOLOLOL ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:30AM

LOL "Model Name ROOF RAISER"

That's in the county assessment as the model

http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/datalets/datalet.aspx?mode=resall&sIndex=0&idx=1&LMparent=138

Posted by: LOOLOLOL ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:32AM

Dilip N Sheth

definetely indian

Posted by: THE TAJ MAHAL OF VIENNA ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:37AM

THE TAJ MAHAL OF VIENNA

LOL

Posted by: Built from scraps ()
Date: August 21, 2013 10:00AM

I lived across the street from a Hispanic guy who would buy old homes that needed overhauled. He also had a live in labor force of about 10 more Hispanic guys, and everybody had a F-150 4X4 pick-up truck. Getting the picture? His live in help would bring home leftover building materials most days of the week. On weekends it was a beehive of building, and within 3 months the old house was replace with this over sized 3 storied white elephant in the middle of these little squat homes in Annandale. Then he sold it a on to another project. This was in 2005-2006 so he made a good profit.

Posted by: Charming Villa ()
Date: August 21, 2013 10:44AM

I heard that the person who lived in the house to the left hanged himself when he saw this abortion that was emerging next door

Posted by: yikes!! ()
Date: August 21, 2013 12:06PM

No garage, not even a carport? For that kind of money you could get a nice place in Clifton with land.

Posted by: McHouse ()
Date: August 21, 2013 12:11PM

That isn't a mansion.
You must be bored posting a thread about someone's ideal of architecture.

Posted by: Joe Manchin ()
Date: August 21, 2013 12:12PM

McHouse Wrote:
> That isn't a mansion.
> You must be bored posting a thread about someone's
> ideal of architecture.

+1

Not even close

Posted by: Vinyl siding is not luxurious ()
Date: August 21, 2013 12:18PM

McHouse Wrote:
> That isn't a mansion.
> You must be bored posting a thread about someone's
> ideal of architecture.

+1

Mansions don't have vinyl siding.

Posted by: hands in the air ()
Date: August 21, 2013 12:20PM

LOOLOLOL Wrote:
> LOL "Model Name ROOF RAISER"
>
> That's in the county assessment as the model
>
> http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/datalets/datalet.as
> px?mode=resall&sIndex=0&idx=1&LMparent=138

That's the term for these kinds of builds where they literally remove the roof of the existing structure and build above and around versus a complete tear down and clear.

Posted by: RAISE THE MOTHERFUCKING ROOF!!!! ()
Date: August 21, 2013 12:27PM

Raise-the-Roof-logo.png

raise_the_roof_full.gif

LOL

Posted by: LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ()
Date: August 21, 2013 12:39PM

GlowStick145bpm.gif

Posted by: Well... ()
Date: August 21, 2013 12:50PM

It looks like the setbacks are met fine (Its only 8 ft on the sides for a regular lot, more if it's a corner lot) However...I am REALLY curious about the measurements on the corners. It has to average 35 ft on the corners.

Now that I have taken a 2nd look at the house, it looks like the corners DO mee the 35 ft requirement. However, the middle part might not, but since the law only requires the corners to be an avg of 35 ft the house appears compliant

Posted by: Yo Mamma ()
Date: August 21, 2013 02:42PM

Whats the address of this disaster?

I'm like 90 percent sure I banged some skank in that little grey house next door a year ago.

Date: August 21, 2013 02:58PM

Built from scraps Wrote:
> His live in
> help would bring home leftover building materials
> most days of the week.

That's exactly what this house looks like. Just leftover materials slapped together to make a house.

Posted by: Vienna Native ()
Date: August 21, 2013 03:06PM

Joey Wrote:
> That's on Tapawingo. If you've driven on that road
> for oh, the past DECADE, you know this guy's been
> working on this monstrosity that long.

This.

For the longest time it was fairly finished on the inside, but you could tell the inside was just framing. Clearly it's a guy doing it himself or saving up money and paying for a phase of work, then stopping, saving, and repeating. It's ugly as shit. It's been there for at least 10 years. Maybe longer.

It's right by the Vienna water tower. Tapawingo Road, SW probably in the house numbers 500 or 600.

Posted by: fasdfsdf ()
Date: August 21, 2013 03:23PM

I see this quite a bit in NOVA, more particulary in Fairfax. The homeowner is a 95% recent, 1st generation immigrant from India, Middle East, or Asia (yes I'm stereotying!). They usually don't hire an architect (to cut costs) and just let the builder come up with the plan - which is not always a good idea. The concept of architecture is new to them and they usually want a large number of bedrooms and baths where they can house extended family. They like ostentatious homes, but don't usually have the resources to do it right - see vinyl siding, etc.

The more established immigrants with significant financial resources, however do hire an architect and use good building materials but some of the ostentatiousness still manifests in the end product in the form of mix/matching architectural styles with extensive use of turrets, balconies, arches, etc, etc.

I bet an Indian or Arabic owns this ugly POS and they actually think it is a gorgeous structure and very proud of it!!

Date: August 21, 2013 03:35PM

http://www.city-data.com/fairfax-county/S/SW-Tapawingo-Road-6.html

503 SW Tapawingo Road

Basement: Full
Number of full bathrooms: 2
Number of half bathrooms: 1
Heating: Yes
Year property was built: 1957

Additions:
Addition type: Lower: Overhang
Addition area: 44 square feet
Addition type: Lower: Overhang
Addition area: 20 square feet
Addition type: Lower: Wood deck
Addition area: 408 square feet

Date: August 21, 2013 03:36PM

From Fairfax's tax assessor site:

Year Built 1957
Effective Year Built 1983
Year Addition 2010
Year House Remodeled 2010
Model Name ROOF RAISER
Bedrooms 3
Full Baths 5
Half Baths
Number of Fireplaces
# Basement Bedrooms/Dens
Heating Central A/C
Construction Quality GOOD
Physical Condition Good

What is the difference between year built and effective year built?

Date: August 21, 2013 03:38PM

So this 2010 remodeling caused his property values to skyrocket:

2013 $271,000 $628,800 $899,800
2012 $261,000 $628,800 $889,800
2011 $261,000 $584,480 $845,480
2010 $241,000 $170,390 $411,390

Would anyone buy this if he put it on the market?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 03:38PM by eesh.

Posted by: lbss82bruin ()
Date: August 21, 2013 03:49PM

Take a drive down Heming Avenue and Queensbury Drive in North Springfield. Lots of Mega-Mansions there.

Posted by: tapawingan ()
Date: August 21, 2013 08:09PM

Annika Wrote:
> Inside is still not finished, years later...how
> did this eyesore ever get issued a Certificate of
> Occupancy?

IT NEVER WAS! They did everything shady and aren't legally allowed to live in most of the house. Those of us who live here fucking hate that place. It is shitty ugly construction from cheap materials and seemingly amateur blueprints. I wish it was condemned.

Posted by: Prairie Dog ()
Date: August 21, 2013 08:40PM

That place is just bucksnort hideous, I mean it. Looks like someone changed his mind four or five times on what the finished home should look like.

Posted by: Old Vienna ()
Date: August 21, 2013 08:54PM

tapawingan Wrote:
> Annika Wrote:
> -----
> > Inside is still not finished, years later...how
> > did this eyesore ever get issued a Certificate
> of
> > Occupancy?
>
> IT NEVER WAS! They did everything shady and aren't
> legally allowed to live in most of the house.
> Those of us who live here fucking hate that place.
> It is shitty ugly construction from cheap
> materials and seemingly amateur blueprints. I wish
> it was condemned.

Vienna used to be a ball buster on permits and plans. I'm surprised the house has gotten this far if its so shady.

Posted by: It's a beautiful house ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:04PM

Pure architectural art. I believe most posters are jealous.

Posted by: NIMBY ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:07PM

Vienna used to be a ball buster on permits and plans. I'm surprised the house has gotten this far if its so shady.

Vienna was flat out assholes when it came to permits...I too, am amazed this 4th rate Taj Mahal never got shut down by the town in the decade or so it took to "build" it

Posted by: XHV6D ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:14PM

NIMBY Wrote:
> in the decade or
> so it took to "build" it

it took less than a year to build

Posted by: Bull ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:18PM

XHV6D Wrote:
> NIMBY Wrote:
> -----
> > in the decade or
> > so it took to "build" it
>
>
> it took less than a year to build

Bullcrap. I live in that area.

Posted by: nUFmC ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:21PM

the inside is done and it took around 5 months to finish

is it ugly? yes, but better than the shacks to its left and right

Posted by: Inspector G ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:22PM

Fairfax County zoning? LOL. FFX needs to get its act together.

Posted by: WTF? ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:41PM

I love my HOA.

We bought in our development so shit like this would bring everyone else's property values down.

Our community in a small enclave of million dollar+ homes. We all get along. It is a nice area to live in.

Posted by: nothing beats ()
Date: August 21, 2013 11:46PM

the megamonstrosity on park street, just south of tapawingo.

Posted by: Big AND Ugly ()
Date: August 22, 2013 12:36AM

the megamonstrosity on park street, just south of tapawingo.

That thing is HUGE. Is it an Indian flophouse? A CIA safehouse in case every single covert agent in the entire world has to run to cover?

What?

Posted by: Dilip ()
Date: August 22, 2013 02:25AM

Call me today if you have an H-1b visa. $75 a week.

Posted by: Elena Della Donne ()
Date: August 22, 2013 03:36AM

2ujmi38.gif

No basketball court in the driveway? That sux!

Posted by: Still better than this one ()
Date: August 22, 2013 10:56AM

Posted by: ???? ()
Date: August 22, 2013 11:10AM

What in the fuck is that? Where is this POS? Obviously made from left over parts, check out all the different windows.

Posted by: Godawful ()
Date: August 22, 2013 11:16AM

???? Wrote:
> What in the fuck is that? Where is this POS?
> Obviously made from left over parts, check out all
> the different windows.

I know where that is, its on Dehaven Drive in Brookfield (Chantilly).

Its just a hideous in person and it towers over every other house on the street.

Date: August 22, 2013 01:45PM

Still better than this one Wrote:

Wow. They took a solidly built two story home, added a third floor, and tried their best to make it look like a gingerbread house.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 01:45PM by eesh.

Posted by: HAHAHA! ()
Date: August 22, 2013 01:56PM

Wow. That one makes the other one look good.

Posted by: Trashy McMansion ()
Date: August 22, 2013 04:20PM

That last house...WOW!

I wonder if they got a ce-ment pond in the back

Posted by: T. Ferrel Egge ()
Date: August 22, 2013 06:25PM

This house looks like a prime example of the county's new plans for affordable housing. It's secretly a boarding house

why the fuck are people so ostentatious these days
look at me look at me
imo primary reason this area sucks these days.d.c. area has attracted the slime of America who suck off the federal government to get rich

Posted by: anet ()
Date: August 23, 2013 07:12AM

Ugh. It looks like a barn.

Posted by: Stinker ()
Date: August 23, 2013 07:41AM

Looks like someone bought two lots and a shit-ton of siding.

Posted by: Fuglyyyuu ()
Date: October 11, 2014 02:55PM

Still better than this one Wrote:
>

That's got to suck for the neighbors

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.