HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
My God! College kids drink fast to get drunk! FCPD to hold forum to talk to parents about refrigerators in garages!
Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: July 29, 2010 12:38PM

FAIRFAX, Va. (WUSA) -- YouTube is full of videos of young people who appear to be binge drinking. If you need proof it's happening everywhere, especially on college campuses, meet Ryan Smith.

He's with Virginia Tech's Center for Applied Behavior Systems which is studying alcohol consumption. They give 400 breathalyzer tests every Thursday night in Blacksburg, at Fraternity parties around and downtown. Recently, he saw a student urinate on herself.

"She walks to a tree, about five feet away. And, I just assumed she was going to go to the back of the tree. We didn't know what she was going to do, but she actually goes to the front of the tree and squats down, and doesn't remove her pants, nothing, just pees herself in front of everybody in downtown Blacksburg," he said. "But that's typical of what we see on a given night in Blacksburg."

Smith says more than 60% of their tests show people with over .08 blood alcohol content, the legal DUI limit. But 15% are over .2 BAC, more than twice the legal limit.

"It's about tremendous amounts consumed very rapidly and kids getting totally drunk," said Jeff Levy who lost his son in a drunk driving wreck after the driver, a student at Radford, had been binge drinking. "My son was one of five students that died in a single weekend in alcohol related incidents in college in Virginia."

Levy says parents need to be strict about not allowing their underage kids to drink.

"The kids say, 'Aw, come on, all the other kids are doing it.' I understand all the other kids are doing it. You don't have to do it. I wished that I had made a bigger issue out of it," said Levy.

Levy will be speaking at forum on binge drinking put on by the Fairfax County Police Department. He believes underage drinking is almost always binge drinking. "They don't have a glass wine their meal. They drink to get drunk," Levy says.

One thing parents will learn at the forum, is to keep tabs on their beer and wine in their garage refrigerators. Police say teens who like to binge drink, go house to house fridge-raiding.

"A lot of people like to joke around about binge drinking and how funny it is. But we're trying to show the other side, that there's a very serious side that often times they don't see, and they won't see, perhaps until they get to college," said Lucy Caldwell with the Fairfax County Police Department.

Police are hosting a second forum on Binge drinking because there was standing room only for the last one in May.

Written by Peggy Fox
9NEWS NOW & wusa9.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My God! College kids drink fast to get drunk! FCPD to hold forum to talk to parents about refrigerators in garages!
Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: July 29, 2010 12:42PM

Kids are getting crazier and crazier! Who'd have thought they'd be drinking in college!? I mean what will they do next, have pre-marital sex!!??

good heavens!!!

Re: My God! College kids drink fast to get drunk! FCPD to hold forum to talk to parents about refrigerators in garages!
Posted by: Not an Alcoholic ()
Date: July 29, 2010 12:49PM

Reminds me of the good ol days when driving around with out a seatbelt in a 67 chevy nova with a half finished case beer (which was buckled in) was fine.

Now drinking out of a fridge is considered risky!

Posted by: umm... yeah ()
Date: July 29, 2010 02:09PM

None of this is news to me. People act like kids today are so much crazier when my parents probably did the same stupid, wreckless shit I grew up doing. Sometimes I can't believe peoples naivity...

Date: July 29, 2010 03:45PM

As a parent, I think it is insane when adults treat their teen-aged kids like "drinking buddies." As for drinking in college, though, part of the problem is college administrations going after the problem. It is driving kids off campus to drink, resulting in them driving while drunk. Most of the issues are resolved if college kids don't get behind the wheel of a car. It is much better to have a realistic approach to enforcement so that if kids do get drunk they can walk back to their dorm rooms or apartments instead of driving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: h0k13 ()
Date: July 29, 2010 04:10PM

dude. its college.. everybody binge drinks.. everyone even does in high school. is this stuff forreal? what kinda tool would care.

Date: July 29, 2010 04:19PM

h0k13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dude. its college.. everybody binge drinks..
> everyone even does in high school. is this stuff
> forreal? what kinda tool would care.

To be fair, you would care if your son was killed in a car accident or your daughter was raped.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: yay ()
Date: July 29, 2010 04:20PM

Here's some frat douchebags for ya! GETTIN SHITTY

Posted by: SubPop ()
Date: July 29, 2010 04:32PM

What was the point of posting this?

If you are going to piss yourself or get yourself killed or end up killing someone else because you you are shitfaced, you shouldn't be drinking because you don't know how to handle booze.

It is ok to get shitfaced, but damn, know the dangers. I don't care if you have a hangover for two days and spent the first day vomiting.

Alcohol isn't the enemy, it is the ignorance of the person consuming it. That is the problems. Sure it decreases you inhibitions, but you are drunk, not retarded, so stop acting like it.

Maybe I am just a freak of nature because know not to get behind the wheel when I am shitfaced. I can barely even drive on 2 beers, so I don't.

You don't dive into deep water if you don't know how to swim. You don't get in the cockpit of an airplane if you can't fly one. Ya dig?

Date: July 29, 2010 04:34PM

I pounded a six pack in 10 minutes once. Spent the rest of the night vomiting.

Good times.

Posted by: BEER ()
Date: July 29, 2010 04:52PM

When I was in 9th grade me and my buddies would "garage hop" to get alcohol... going in to random peoples garages, which they stupidly left open, at night and jacking beer/wine out of their fridge. Had the occasional close call where we had to run like hell while each carrying a 24 pack under one arm lol

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 29, 2010 06:24PM

I'm in college, but I don't drink like that. People who get piss drunk as described in the OP's post are stupid, especially when they're females. I just like to keep a buzz, and the last time I went to a New Years party I managed to nurse it for a good six hours. My friend said he was feeling good, and he wasn't getting drunk, then 30 minutes later he was puking his guts out off the deck lol. Still, he wasn't so drunk that he'd do the stupid garbage you see on CH.com half-the-time.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Pat Moran ()
Date: July 29, 2010 08:57PM

BEER Wrote:
> When I was in 9th grade me and my buddies would
> "garage hop" to get alcohol... going in to random
> peoples garages, which they stupidly left open, at
> night and jacking beer/wine out of their fridge.
> Had the occasional close call where we had to run
> like hell while each carrying a 24 pack under one
> arm lol

Damn! that was you? I went to the garage to get an ice cold Pabst, and there was none there. I blamed my wife for drinking my suds, and slapped her silly. no wonder she left me.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 29, 2010 09:32PM

In college in my fraternity we use to throw 25 kegger parties. We'd check ID's at the door but as long as the ID looked half way decent or if you were some hot babe you would get in.

We'd keep two kegs in the house, hide the dead kegs and call the police at midnight to clear the crowds out of the yard. We'd tell all the hot babes to stay and come inside for the after party. We got to know the ABC undercovers and never let them into the parties.

The only reason we were drinking was to get sloppy drunk, laugh our asses off and get laid.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 29, 2010 09:35PM

I'd say today drinking would be the least of a parents worry. Look at all the heroin, ecstasy and dare pill popping parties.

Teens today seem to be more interested in the medicine cabinet.

Posted by: crackwhore ()
Date: July 29, 2010 09:46PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I'd say today drinking would be the least of a
> parents worry. Look at all the heroin, ecstasy
> and dare pill popping parties.
>
> Teens today seem to be more interested in the
> medicine cabinet.

True true. When I was in high school (graduated in 07) the big thing was Coriciden/CCC pills and Robotripping. Not exactly life threatening but sure as hell not good for you... So easy for a teen to walk into a CVS and buy that shit

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: July 30, 2010 07:26AM

Pat Moran Wrote:
> BEER Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When I was in 9th grade me and my buddies would
> > "garage hop" to get alcohol... going in to
> random
> > peoples garages, which they stupidly left open,
> at
> > night and jacking beer/wine out of their
> fridge.
> > Had the occasional close call where we had to
> run
> > like hell while each carrying a 24 pack under
> one
> > arm lol
>
> Damn! that was you? I went to the garage to get
> an ice cold Pabst, and there was none there. I
> blamed my wife for drinking my suds, and slapped
> her silly. no wonder she left me.

LOLZ

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 30, 2010 07:57AM

just change the drinking age to 18 and all your concerns will go away because it will be legal.

problem solved!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Jimmy Jack ()
Date: July 30, 2010 08:12AM

The drinking age should be 18 again. College kids would drink in bars and have some supervision. If you drive them into hiding, they will not be monitored in any way and more problems can occur. Let them drink legally.

We can send Johnny off to war, but NO, don't let them drink. That's crazy.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: July 30, 2010 03:44PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> I pounded a six pack in 10 minutes once. Spent the
> rest of the night vomiting.
>
> Good times.

I'm shocked. Not because you can drink that much, but because of the effect it had on you.

One of these nights, I shall re-create your experience and see what happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Date: July 30, 2010 03:50PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> -----
> > I pounded a six pack in 10 minutes once. Spent
> the
> > rest of the night vomiting.
> >
> > Good times.
>
> I'm shocked. Not because you can drink that much,
> but because of the effect it had on you.
>
> One of these nights, I shall re-create your
> experience and see what happens.

It was the only time I ever blacked out. I never attempted it again.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 30, 2010 07:20PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> MrMephisto Wrote:
> -----
> > WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I pounded a six pack in 10 minutes once.
> Spent
> > the
> > > rest of the night vomiting.
> > >
> > > Good times.
> >
> > I'm shocked. Not because you can drink that
> much,
> > but because of the effect it had on you.
> >
> > One of these nights, I shall re-create your
> > experience and see what happens.
>
>
> It was the only time I ever blacked out. I never
> attempted it again.

Edit: Nevermind - I'm retarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 10:52PM by Warhawk.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.