HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Sushi!
Date: April 27, 2005 09:57PM

I'm looking for a good sushi place. Preferrably in FFX county...but if there's a REALLY good place outside of FFX..then please mention it. Looking for sashimi and maki rolls. My wife's not all to interested in big pieces of fish unlike me, so she likes the rolls the most. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sushi!
Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: April 27, 2005 10:11PM

I know this one place in hokaido

Posted by: j3rown ()
Date: April 27, 2005 10:21PM

I'm partial to Matsuke Sushi in Sully Station...it's pretty good...

Posted by: ben ()
Date: April 27, 2005 10:26PM

I've heard good things about Arigato Sushi.

I like Todai at Fair Oaks Mall. It's all you can eat, get there for lunch- dinner is too expensive.

There's also a place next to the Bright Pearl that does all you can eat sushi, very good selection of foods there. I forget the name, but it's in the same shopping center as MVC off RT. 50 in Chantilly.

Posted by: dlee ()
Date: April 28, 2005 10:00AM

1) The Seoul House (in the circuit city / burlington shopping center) has $1 sushi nights. Also it's just a really nice place in general.

2) There used to be a really good place Teriyaki/sushi place in Vienna in the Macgruder's/Rexall shopping center on Maple Ave. Park in that lot and then walk down Maple and it will be on your right. I don't know whether's it's actually there anymore. They have an unbeatable lunch special. Here's a lame map.

......Foster'sI_____________________Rexall____MaGruders_
..............I
..............I
..............I
..............I
..............I
..............I
..............I
..............I
Sushi_______

====================MAPLE ====================

Posted by: hellchild ()
Date: April 28, 2005 11:35AM

I'm not at all an expert but I do know that there is a sushi place off of sunrise valley in the shopping plaza with the clock tower that is supposed to be good. it has articles on the windows (washington post, I believe) that name it as the best sushi in the area or something to that effect. it at the opposite end from the ned divines, next to the midas muffler. sorry I can't think of the name!
S

Date: May 01, 2005 11:44AM

The place in clocktower is called Hama Sushi, and it's actually pretty good.

-j3rown

Posted by: rdewalt ()
Date: May 02, 2005 06:06PM

A second vote for Hama Sushi. Another excellent place I've found is Sakura down in Fair Lakes, near the Petsmart and Applebee's (you know, where that pit of hell that is Wal-Mart happens to exist at the other end of)

Date: May 03, 2005 09:20PM

Sakura...last time I went there the waitress got wasabi in my friends eye.

It was hilarious until in a frantic rage he knocked over my drink. Fucking Wasabi.

Date: May 05, 2005 07:43PM

Went to Hama Sushi tonight. That was some pretty damn good sushi. The wife LOVED the Tiger Rolls. Definitly better then the place we have gone to twice before. Previously we went to Bamboo in Manassas Park. Basically recommended by Washington Post. They were ok. Not bad and not too expensive, but Hama Sushi was definitly better.

Posted by: unlucky ()
Date: May 05, 2005 07:47PM

cant stand sushi.

maybe i just choose some bad sushi restraunt... dunno which one though.

Date: May 05, 2005 09:15PM

The restaurant and type of sushi make a big difference. First time I tried sushi, it was in a really crappy place and I think it was sitting out for too long, fish wasn't fresh, etc cuz it was supposed to be tuna and tasted REALLY fishy. Also starting out with the rolls helps. Jumping right into sashimi (a big slice of fish on top of a bit of rice) is quite difficult if you aren't already used to the taste and texture of the fish.

Posted by: UnluckyArun ()
Date: May 05, 2005 10:38PM

Imagine eating like a raw piece of meat.

That's what it tasted like. No flavor.. No taste.

Date: May 05, 2005 10:41PM

I have to admit sushi is pretty much crap to me too, so make that another non-sushi vote.

I also hate pho, smells like rotting corpse.

Posted by: november.melody ()
Date: May 06, 2005 04:55AM

Some of my favorite places are:

Oksaka in Springfield - right outside Springfield Mall
Akasaka in Alexandria - off of South Van Dorn St.
Matsui Sushi in Alexandria - Landsdowne Shoping center on the corner of Beulah St and Telegraph Rd.
Blue Ocean in Annandale

:+: Cure Cystic Fibrosis :+:

Posted by: Steve ()
Date: May 07, 2005 04:51PM

Sakura in Fairlakes is good, so is Arigato in Fairlakes and in Fairfax.

Posted by: Steve ()
Date: May 07, 2005 04:55PM

BTW, there is so much more to sushi than raw fish. I don't like raw fish, but i love sushi. The eel, shrimp, soft shelled crab, crab and octopus are all cooked. There are a bunch of things you can choose from that does not include uncooked fish.

Date: May 07, 2005 05:02PM

any sushi made out of cooked hamburger, cheese, and bacon? that would taste awesome

Posted by: A'rn ()
Date: May 09, 2005 02:19AM

Hey, it's outside of Fairfax, but if anyone here's been up to the Chuck Levin's Washington Music & Arts in Wheaton, MD...there's a sushi store in the little shopping center nearby called "Moby Dick sushi." The place looks like a hole in the wall on the outside, but on the inside, the restaurant is really clean and well-organized. If you're polite to the chef and his wife, they end up giving you waaaay much more than you ordered. Goooood sushi, too.

Posted by: Nicole ()
Date: June 04, 2005 11:48AM

HAH this is a old post.

But I have to put in another vote for Blue Ocean near Fair City Mall. The owners there are actually Japanese, as opposed to all the Koreans and Chinese people who try to up sales by making cucumber rolls or whatnot.

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: June 04, 2005 12:27PM

as long as you guys are on the subject of eating raw things, I saw some grubs, lizards, earthworms and carpenter ants in my back yard. I won't charge much but you may have to roll some logs around to catch them before they scamper away.

Date: June 05, 2005 03:24PM

I thought I'd make a little addition to the thread I started. Just got back from a place in C-ville that actually wasn't too bad. We went to Hama Sushi several times before and enjoyed it a lot. Today we tried to go there but it was closed for lunch. So we decided to go to the place in C-ville that is right next to the what is now permanently closed Copelands. The prices are a bit higher then Hama but the quality either meets or possibly exceeds Hama in some ways. We only had rolls...but in the rolls it seemed like there was more fish then at Hama. Anyways...it was rather tasty. They also do take out, no delivery though, but thats probably a good thing.

BTW PaperPusher...not all sushi is raw. Pretty much all of the shrimp, crab, eel, and salmon is cooked.

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: June 05, 2005 06:55PM

ok fine. I'll boil the grubs if you insist.

Posted by: Tim ()
Date: June 06, 2005 10:31AM

I liked to eat sushi at Jendai in Tyson's, but from what I heard, it went away a few months ago and turned into Indian cuisine or something. I'll have to check out that one by Magruder's.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: June 09, 2005 07:09PM

I have the second the sushi place near the closed copelands, in centreville. Its really, really good and I have eaten sushi in world famous sushi bars :) Kobe Steak House anyone?

Posted by: Rather Dashing ()
Date: June 10, 2005 02:27PM

What kind of Burninator likes eating uncooked fish? I know Trogdor the Burninator, and you, sir, are no Trogdor.

Trogdor the Burninator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought I'd make a little addition to the thread
> I started. Just got back from a place in C-ville
> that actually wasn't too bad. We went to Hama
> Sushi several times before and enjoyed it a lot.
> Today we tried to go there but it was closed for
> lunch. So we decided to go to the place in
> C-ville that is right next to the what is now
> permanently closed Copelands. The prices are a
> bit higher then Hama but the quality either meets
> or possibly exceeds Hama in some ways. We only
> had rolls...but in the rolls it seemed like there
> was more fish then at Hama. Anyways...it was
> rather tasty. They also do take out, no delivery
> though, but thats probably a good thing.
>
> BTW PaperPusher...not all sushi is raw. Pretty
> much all of the shrimp, crab, eel, and salmon is
> cooked.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 11, 2005 02:10AM

How is the place in Centreville down by where Shopper's Food Warehouse used to be, now an Asian food market or something? It's called Sho-Chiku.

And why did Copeland's cloase?

Date: June 11, 2005 10:12AM

copeland's must not have been profitable at that location. The other locations appear to be open; I passed by the king st. one the other day and it seemed fine and dandy..

Date: June 11, 2005 01:00PM

I haven't been to Sho-Chiku but I've heard from a friend it was decent.

As for Copelands I wouldn't be surprised if it was because that location didn't get enough business. That area in Centreville seems to be very empty lately when it comes to retail stores. Also, it seems that entire shopping center is slowly being taken over by asian stores. So that might have attributed to it as well. Maybe they weren't doing to well and they were forced to drop the lease.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 11, 2005 10:55PM

One reason I only went to Copelands a couple of times myself was just that the shopping center is a major pain in the ass to get in and out of if you get there heading north on 29.

Speaking of places, anyone been to Lafter Hours? There's a road sign out for it at the Newgate entrance but I can't see where the actual place is... is it buried inside Fast Eddie's or something?

Date: June 12, 2005 11:11AM

yes it is

Posted by: jdwalker ()
Date: May 29, 2006 04:50PM

november.melody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of my favorite places are:
>
> Oksaka in Springfield - right outside Springfield
> Mall
> Akasaka in Alexandria - off of South Van Dorn St.
>
> Matsui Sushi in Alexandria - Landsdowne Shoping
> center on the corner of Beulah St and Telegraph
> Rd.
> Blue Ocean in Annandale

I wholeheartedly agree about Matsui Sushi. They kick ass! Go there!

Posted by: Frued ()
Date: October 10, 2014 11:50PM

I love sushi, especially when I eat it off of a fat mans erect penis. Yummy!

Posted by: Sushi Prince ()
Date: October 11, 2014 01:35PM

Sushi Prince in City of Fairfax (make a reservation).

Posted by: 7KCFX ()
Date: October 11, 2014 02:39PM

This place isn't bad, was there last night (second visit):

Mikaku
3065 Centreville Rd
Herndon, VA 20171

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.