HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Vote: Best Mexican Chain
Posted by: § ()
Date: March 08, 2006 06:20PM

Just curious, but which of these Mexican / Burrito chains in the area do you guys prefer over the other in terms of overall taste and quality of food?:

(1) Chipotle
(2) Baja Fresh
(3) California Tortilla
(4) Guapo's
(5) Anita's

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vote: Best Mexican Chain
Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: March 08, 2006 06:44PM

there are better places

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: March 08, 2006 06:45PM

(6) Tippy's Taco (I suggest the Centreville location)

I've never eaten at California Tortilla, Guapo's or Anita's. I prefer Baja Fresh over Chipotle because there is a larger variety of food. However, I do like Chipotle's burrito bols.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: March 08, 2006 07:42PM

I have eaten at at Tippy's (Springfield) a few times and while the food is alright their california burrito is definitely not a california burrito. Having grown up on these in san diego i was sorely disappointed to see nothing more than a shitty taco meat burrito with melted cheese on it.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: March 08, 2006 07:52PM

Yeah, you have to go to the Centreville location and get chicken enchildas and queso.

Posted by: WashingToneLoc-ian ()
Date: March 08, 2006 09:34PM

Chipotle - Kicks Ass.

Baja Fresh - Healthy food that doesn't taste like shit.

California Tortilla - Never eaten there. Sounds gay.

Guapo's - Mexicans eat there, so what does that tell you. Authentic, but not fancy.

Anita's - Tried it a couple of times. Blown away by how bad and expensive it is compared to all the hype it gets.

Overall I pick Chipotle with Guapo's being a close second.

Posted by: JigSAW ()
Date: March 09, 2006 04:03AM

Chipotle all the way!! I can't wait for the new one to open up in Springfield Plaza!!:)

Posted by: kingOFgEEEks ()
Date: March 09, 2006 08:42AM

Since I work with Hispanics, I've been introduced to Anitas, and while it may not be the 'Gringo's favorite', my Hispanic friends all say that it's very good. I've never heard of Guapo's, so I can't offer an opinion on them.

Posted by: BR ()
Date: March 09, 2006 09:46AM

(1) Chipotle - Pretty good.

(2) Baja Fresh - Might nudge out Chipotle for me, actually.

(3) California Tortilla - Eaten here a couple of times, and it's pretty good but it's not classic Mexican food, just fancy shmancy burritos. Great hot sauce selection though, and their chili con queso is da bomb.

(4) Guapo's - Eh, run of the mill.

(5) Anita's - Still dig it, but not as good as I remember it being.

Date: March 09, 2006 10:58AM

I did forget Tippy's Taco as a selection in the original post. I forgot they have multiple locations in NoVA.

(1) Chipotle - Best Guacamole I've had since Red Sage in DC. Overall not bad, just too simple on selections.

(2) Baja Fresh - Excellent Tostada Salads, but other items taste bland in my opinion and the beef is more on the grisly cartilage side.

(3) California Tortilla - Good atmosphere, shitty tasting burritos.

(4) Guapo's - Real Carne Asada / Steak. Actually tastes good. Keep going back to the quesadilla, which is expensive $7, but delicious.

(5) Anita's - Best breakfast in town (esp. Breakfast Burritos), but most lunch / dinner items taste nasty.

(6) Tippy's - Been only twice, seems authentic, but beef is USDA grade F quality (Taco Bell or worse).

I'd say overall I'd give a slight edge to Chipotle with Guapo's coming in at a close second. -§

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: March 09, 2006 01:16PM

any tips on best Mexican massage parlor?

Date: March 09, 2006 01:47PM

PaperPusher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> any tips on best Mexican massage parlor?

ive used this answer many of times
Culmore

Date: March 09, 2006 03:25PM

more information please.

Posted by: kingOFgEEEks ()
Date: March 10, 2006 08:05AM

How much more information do you need? Just go down Rt. 7, turn in at the big CULMORE sign, park, and walk back in a block or 2. All you have to do is be white, and they'll LOVE you there ;-)

Date: March 10, 2006 05:04PM

more information than that apparently. I did go there and behind there is just an apartment complex. If anyone knows more than that, please feel free to email me with information. I'd appreciate it.

Date: March 10, 2006 06:04PM

lol u went to culmore looking for a mexican message
ajajajajahsdbasd

they are el salvadorean maybe thats y

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2006 06:05PM by MrDoctor.

Date: March 10, 2006 06:26PM

I just got this latina fixation that I can't shake. damn.

Date: March 10, 2006 06:32PM

half the girls in culmore are pregnant by 15
so it wont be hard if u can show a lil bling

Posted by: mexican ()
Date: June 26, 2006 02:13AM

theres are no real mexican resturants or chains in NOVA...they all claim to be mexican but are in fact salvadoran..and no the food is not the sae..the only place that really really comes close to taco jalisco off rt 1 right by scarmento

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 26, 2006 02:45AM

yeah nothing around here but if you roll to mt pleasant in dc or highlandtown in baltimore, I know of a few places that are straight-up nasty-as-all-get-out mexican.

I honestly begin to yearn for the fake stuff, and I have a feeling this is why no real mexican place can sustain in this picky market, but if you just gotta have it real there are some places within striking distance.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 26, 2006 04:32AM

oh... this is bad...

Best Mexican Chain = Mexican chain gang

i had to say it... my kitten made me do it.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: June 26, 2006 02:53PM

I usually goto Chipolte at least twice a week. They have great burritos and they are huge. Ive been wanting to try something different, and after seeing this post this morning, I decided to try Baja Fresh.
I may not be going back to Chipoltes. Chipotles has much bigger burritos, but Bajas, are just as good, better price, plus they come with chips AND I dont have to pay an extra $1.50 for gaucamole.

I remember eating at Anitas in herndon often at 3 AM after getting off work (at a restaurant) and I remember it being dirt cheap. (or am i thinking of something else)

Have not been to these other places. I do like On the Border as well.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 28, 2006 06:00PM

IMHO, Chevy's is one of the better mexican chains in the area. I still love Anita's the best though.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 28, 2006 07:40PM

I like Anita's real authentic Mexican. I go often to the one in Chantilly, always get 3 quesedias and "Tres Amigos"

But I rate chipotle best, love their salsa

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: June 28, 2006 08:05PM

Someone mentioned Baja Fresh being a healthier alternative to Chipotle. I'm pretty sure I looked up the nutritional information online after eating there the first time and the difference was negligible, if any. One of the Chipotle burritos has as much fat as 2 Big Macs. And Chipotle is owned by McDonald's.

Date: June 28, 2006 10:19PM

I am amused that someone called Anita's "authentic mexican". What a lie if that is what anita's is claiming (not calling the poster a liar, to clarify).

I always thought that the sign said "new mexico style"....

Date: June 28, 2006 10:45PM

>I am amused that someone called Anita's "authentic mexican

None of these NoVA places are authentic, but one must keep that in perspective. I spent some time in Nueveo Laredo and Ciudad Juarez, and a few weeks in downtown Tegucigalpa, and to be perfectly frank, the local food there sucked. You'd expect to get "authentic" Mexican food while you're in Mexico, and I did, but I find that our expectations are very high. The quality of the local food in those towns was adequate, but largely disappointing. Alot of tough, fatty meat, flavorless rice, and cheese that didn't taste like it does here. And these were some down-home honduran and mexican places.

I much prefer the higher priced (higher quality) ingredients we have here that are prepared in the Mexican style of cooking, and that's what I compare all these local places to. They all seem like 5-star dining compared to my south-of-the-border excursions.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: June 29, 2006 10:26PM

Anita & her husband are Mexican. They used to live in NM, then moved to the DC area. The only real difference in mexican & new mexican is the chiles, and style of cooking (enchiladas are not rolled, they are layered - Anita's pours chile sauce over everything, etc). I used to work there in high school (in the corp. office, on Willard Dr).

Anita's is the best - hands down- their queso rocks, their hot sauce kicks ass....and the sante fe burrito is awesome. Although it really is one of those places that you either like or you don't. There is no happy medium. And they do serve some up nasty concoctions on their menu.

Date: June 29, 2006 10:55PM

Anita's breakfast burritos.

Posted by: Dude ()
Date: June 30, 2006 12:37AM

PopEyes in Centreville.

Posted by: paleogrrl ()
Date: July 04, 2006 11:55PM

For really awesome Mexican food, you have to go to the West Coast...the little mom-and-pop, whole-in-the-wall taquerias in Oregon and Cali. Here most of it is Tex-Mex or some other fusion. Baja Fresh is pretty good...close to the higher end Mexian grill restaurants I got back in Oregon...good mesquite flavors. Chevy's is more like most of the family dining style Mexican restaurants out West. The hardest time I have out here is finding anyone who does their pinto beans like I'm used to...good, creamy frijoles. Mmmmm...

However, there are some bright spots, like Guajillo in Arlington's not bad...different than what I grew up on but not bad...and they do have the most fucking awesome chocolate flan with tequila sauce and a hint of cinnamon...perfection!

Date: July 05, 2006 12:26AM

Baja Fresh always seemed pretty bland to me, maybe I am trying the wrong stuff.

Date: July 09, 2006 12:21AM

Yeah, it depends on what you get at Baja. I tend to go for their burritos with the mesquite-grilled chicken in them...and nachos...which are tasty because damn near everything in nachos is full of fat...and I like their guac, too, and some of their salsas. And of course now that I'm thinking of nachos, I just remembered the ones I could get at taquerias back home...$5 for a huge plate of 'em (the serves 2-3 people) with frijoles and steak and all the toppings. And then the taquerias would have this relish...not quite sure what you'd call it...that you could help yourself too that had carrot slices, onions, jalapenos and cilantro. Omigod, I loved that stuff. The carrots soaking (I'm guessing it was in lime juice...) with the jalapenos made those carrots hotter than hell...but a goooood hotter than hell.

Then there was another family Mexican restaurant back home that did Jalisco-style food, including they had a crew to make their own tortillas fresh all day/eve long, so when they'd bring you torts with your food they were off the griddle fresh. Mmmmm...

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: July 09, 2006 02:04PM

Posted by: jose H. ()
Date: July 12, 2006 11:31PM

I work in one of the restarrantees you stupido white peoples talk bad about.Sometimes Armando & I put poo poo in the bean mix.Fuck all youz white asshole's.

Posted by: ffxmotorist ()
Date: July 13, 2006 08:12PM

Springfield mall used to have Taco Laredo, their Sanchos and California Burritos were the BOMB back in the mid 90's!!!

http://www.fcnp.com/342/restaurant.htm

Date: July 13, 2006 09:14PM

>Taco Laredo

Thanks for posting that, I will check the Falls Church location out soon. I don't live too far from there and never even heard of the place.

Posted by: Moe ()
Date: August 21, 2006 11:07AM

WELCOME TO MOE'S!!#@!$!*(#%$!(*#$!^#!&$!$!@#!

Posted by: Moe's Lover ()
Date: August 21, 2006 11:10AM

I am addicted to Moe's dang JC quesadilluhs.. mmmm..

Posted by: Yo quero comida mexian ()
Date: August 21, 2006 12:53PM

What about Rio Grande, ..
Its has the probly the best Fajitas around ( you order the meat by the pound)
They have a decent tequila selection and the salsa is pretty good..

Kinda pricey...but by far the tastiest..

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: August 21, 2006 07:24PM

What about Taco Bell at 2 a.m. after a hard night of drinking. Tell me that isnt good. No comment on the morning after though when it makes its way through you.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: August 21, 2006 07:30PM

Don Pablo's - Fair Lakes

Taco Bell in Merrifield after some beers.(But certainly nothing tops White Castle little burgers in Georgetown after some hard partying)

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: August 21, 2006 07:48PM

I know it's not a chain, but Picante's in Chantilly is one of the best Mexican restaurants in the area.

Date: August 21, 2006 10:15PM

Oh yeah, Taco Bell...burgers...anything like that hits the spot after drinking. And speaking of burgers...what's this about White Castle in Georgetown? Do you mean actually at a White Castle, or just White Castle-like mini-burgers at a local pub?

Date: August 21, 2006 10:29PM

what's this about White Castle in Georgetown?

I am wondering the exact same thing- I'd love to have one around here!

Posted by: ECON202 ()
Date: August 21, 2006 10:50PM

Tim45 Wrote:
> What about Taco Bell at 2 a.m. after a hard night
> of drinking. Tell me that isnt good. No comment on
> the morning after though when it makes its way
> through you.

hahaha

white castle is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nasty

Posted by: RbF_dark420 ()
Date: August 22, 2006 06:27AM

(1) Tortilla Factory in Herndon - Best Chix or Beef California Enchiladas and salsa!. Also great for B-days with family members. cheese crisp are fuking good!

(2) On The Border - Pretty good food, I like getting carry-out from there.

(2) Tippy's Taco's - is low grade beef, but got some tasty items on the menu you cant get as good at other local places. those deep fried beef burrito thingys cant remember the name of them.

(3) Baja Fresh - Ownd by Wendys Fast Food, bland tacos, bland sauce.

(4) Anita's - Puked everytime i eat there, New rule is dont eat at places that have a Mr. T special on the menu...

(-000000.0001) Chipotle - Ownd by McDonalds, Never eaten there and never will cause im not a lemming. My tagline qoute: CHIPOTLE IS MADE FROM PEOPLE!!!!!!!.

Also why did the FDA start allowing small traces of Rocket Fuel in the lettuce for Chipotle?!?!?! i dont wanna eat rocket fuel...

there are a couple other good places but cant remember now off the top of my head.

Only the paraniod will Survive...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2006 06:35AM by RbF_dark420.

Date: August 22, 2006 09:23AM

4) Anita's - Puked everytime i eat there,

Haha, it seems like locals either really love or really hate Anita's. I go to the Vienna one every few months for some deep fried chimichanga's with alot of that gooey cheese and the green chile sauce, I think it's great. But I know alot of people who won't go near the place.

Another place worth mentioning on this list is Coyote Amigo in downtown McLean. It's a hole-in-the-wall, total greasy-spoon type joint, but it's cheap and really hits the spot if you're hungry for tacos and salsa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2006 09:23AM by TheMeeper.

Date: August 22, 2006 10:35AM

I really dig Anita's breakfast burritos. One of the best around. Even better with that red picante sauce they give you with it. Hot Damn! -§

Date: August 22, 2006 10:10PM

I really dig Anita's breakfast burritos. One of the best around. Even better with that red picante sauce they give you with it. Hot Damn!

The first time I ever had those buritos I ate them with a steaming hot cup of coffee, LOL, nothing like hot picante washed down with straight black coffee! Those breakfast burritos are pretty great.

Date: August 22, 2006 11:35PM

Hole in the wall, greasy spoon, cheap, hits the spot...that kinda describes the type of taqueria I'm looking for. :)

Date: August 22, 2006 11:42PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> what's this about White Castle in Georgetown?
>
> I am wondering the exact same thing- I'd love to
> have one around here!

Me, too. Would be nice to have fresh White Castle burgers instead of the frozen variety from the grocery. However, a good substitute is the mini-burger basket at Silver Diner. :)

Date: August 23, 2006 01:09AM

There's a great Taqueria in Baltimore across from Karmic Connections, the head shop. DIRECTLY across.

Karmic is located at Broadway and Eastern Avenue in the Highlandtown section.

Posted by: Pepe Lopez ()
Date: July 28, 2014 10:56PM

Just don't drink the water at these places, mang!

Posted by: Eatnomoredivefood ()
Date: July 29, 2014 01:38PM

Before you vote for any one of the restaurants, check out the county health department website of all the restaurant health inspections at:
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hd/.../foodinsp1.ht...or just do a google search on food establishment inspections - (your-----county) and also "Inspections and Closures--(-----County, Virginia. It might color your votes!

Posted by: yumyum! ()
Date: July 29, 2014 01:48PM

Tippy's Taco

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: July 29, 2014 02:42PM

I ate at Guapo's in Shirlington last Sunday. They get my vote.

I also like Uncle Julio's in Reston.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 02:43PM by LetsRock.

Posted by: Embrace Diversity ()
Date: July 29, 2014 02:50PM

Best Mexican chain
Attachments:
_42774785_mexico.jpg

Posted by: I like this one ()
Date: July 29, 2014 02:56PM

pb-130522-border-009.photoblog900.jpg

Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: July 29, 2014 07:13PM

Chevy's for a sit down meal and Baja Fresh for takeout.

Posted by: best_overall ()
Date: July 30, 2014 10:42AM

The best is Taqueria Poblano. It's not Mexican, but southwestern (menu is more southern CA). Everything is homemade. They also have, by far, the best margaritas in all of northern VA. And the prices are amazingly reasonable.

There's one in Del Ray and two in Arlington.

http://www.taqueriapoblano.com

Posted by: rude lady ()
Date: July 30, 2014 12:08PM

I purposely drive all the way to route 1 just for some TACO JALISCO!!!!

Route 1/Sacramento next to what used to be hollywood video next to the 7-11 (looking at 711 it is to the right of it about 100 yards).

These are the same tacos you find in the food trucks in Arlington, but in a sit down restaurant/carryout style! MMMMM GOOD!!!!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/taco-jalisco-alexandria

Posted by: Hmmm... ()
Date: July 30, 2014 01:03PM

Eatnomoredivefood Wrote:
> Before you vote for any one of the restaurants,
> check out the county health department website of
> all the restaurant health inspections...

Let's have the inspectors come to your house first so we have a valid standard pf comparison.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.