HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fisher Hardware in Springfield
Posted by: Lionel ()
Date: March 24, 2010 06:18AM

This old fart liked chugging over to Springfield 3-4 times a year to visit one of the last old time hardware stores in the area. But I got the feeling last few times I went in there that things were different. Seemed like a lot of the old timers I use to see working there weren't around and had a lot of young whippersnappers and folks who spoke spanish as there primary language working the floor. Has ownership change? It just don't seem the same no more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fisher Hardware in Springfield
Posted by: Peter Venkman ()
Date: March 24, 2010 07:25AM

Another awesome one is Nichols Hardware in Purcellville. Same family for generations; the place is like a rat's nest. I don't know how they find anything but they always do.

http://www.loudounhistory.org/history/purcellville-nichols-hardware.htm

Posted by: loved Fishers ()
Date: March 24, 2010 08:40AM

There is an old fashioned hardware store in Cherrydale (Lee Highway near Military Road in Arlington).

There is also one in the Hollin Hall Shopping Center in south Alexandria (Fort Hunt Road).

Fishers is owned by Ace Hardware now, I think.

Posted by: JR ()
Date: March 24, 2010 09:09AM

Yeah Ace has owned them for a little while now. But everytime I go they are super helpful, like repairing broken parts instead of pointing you to a new one. The fixed cost .30 cents, new one cost $12.

Posted by: say ()
Date: March 24, 2010 10:42AM

The original owners recently sold Fischer's. The new owners claim nothing will change. Ace Hardware does NOT own Fischer's, I don't think Ace Hardware owns any hardware stores. I'm not sure of the term, but Ace Hardware is a nationwide network of PRIVATELY owned hardwares stores. It allows member stores to take advantage of Ace's buying power and national advertising.

I haven't noticed much change at Fischer's. Most of the same employees are still there.

One cool thing is Ace's free shipping to their member stores. I recently bought a large, heavy item from Ace's website for $479.00, which was comparable to other online retailers, but the rest of them wanted $200+ for shipping. Ace shipped it to Fischer's free. Same exact item at Home Depot, $799.00!

Posted by: Homeowner ()
Date: March 25, 2010 07:40AM

For the first time ever, Fishers was out of the product I wanted. Usually they have everything in stock.

Posted by: \m/ FAIRFAX COUNTYS MASTER OF METAL \m/ ()
Date: March 30, 2010 02:27PM

Havent been there in years.

Posted by: Hardware ()
Date: March 31, 2010 03:56PM

They have a great hardware/fasteners section. Not many places around here carry a good selection of metric nuts, washers, bolts & screws but Fisher's does. They even have the metric ones in different strength grades and stainless or not. Its hard trying to restore an old Japanese car and needing a certain size bolt that Home Depot, Lowes, Advance Auto, Auto Zone or Pep Boys doesn't carry. Sometimes ordering from McMaster Carr or Fastenal is out of the question.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: March 31, 2010 11:26PM

I've been shopping there for years. They may not have the best prices, but they usually have what you are looking for, and there is usually someone there who can tell you exactly what you need, and what you need to do to fix the problem.

Posted by: lionel ()
Date: March 31, 2010 11:42PM

ain't the hardware /fastner section been one place that has changed? You got to track down someone to get it for you and bag it. like they don't trust you. not like the old way. might as well prepackage the hardware like at home thepot. and they seem to phasing out the knick knack/gadget section. heck i like buying gadgets, kind of fun seeing whats new
and seems to me I ain't seen the guy who worked the plumbing and electrical section for years in quite a while. wore glasses and had brown hair, didn't seem nearly old enough to be put out to pasture.
of course even so I hate home depot with lowe's being a little more tolerable except they really don't have sales just the illusion created by their weekly circular

Posted by: jm ()
Date: April 01, 2010 12:48AM

\m/ FAIRFAX COUNTYS MASTER OF METAL \m/ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Havent been there in years.

wow, thanks for adding nothing to this conversation. I didn't think people were inquiring about your whereabouts but thanks for wasting 4 seconds of my life I will never get back!

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: April 01, 2010 12:54AM

jm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> \m/ FAIRFAX COUNTYS MASTER OF METAL \m/ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Havent been there in years.
>
>
> wow, thanks for adding nothing to this
> conversation. I didn't think people were
> inquiring about your whereabouts but thanks for
> wasting 4 seconds of my life I will never get
> back!

it took you 4 seconds to read that?

Posted by: Ram Man ()
Date: April 04, 2010 05:52PM

Fishers is better than the morons at the Springfield Home Depot. And whoever designed that parking area there should be beaten.

Posted by: lionel ()
Date: April 11, 2010 03:27AM

My bad stopped by Fisher's on saturday evening and I saw two of the long time folks who've worked there for years. Just hadn't seen them in a long time. Both sporting long hair these days.
Was looking for Scott's dandelion killer in the powder form but alas i guess it ain't sold nowhere no more was hoping Fisher's might have it
i hate when products you've used for a long time dissappear
Seems to be happening more and more these days
Did do some pricing on a shelving project I'm going to be doing while at Fisher's

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.