HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Theft of Giant gas points
Posted by: Madmax ()
Date: July 22, 2013 09:38AM

Friday I shopped at the Giant store in Lorton and was told I had 1003 gas points, which is $1 off Per gallon for Shell gas. I went to a Shell station in Burke to fill up my car and was told I had no points. I called the toll free hotline for Giant gas rewards and was told 1000 points had been redeemed in Alexandria on the same Friday night. Someone obviously used my phone number to redeem my points. I also heard that this is becoming a common occurrence
in Fairfax county. Anyone else fall victim to this theft???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Theft of Giant gas points
Posted by: Joe Friday ()
Date: July 22, 2013 10:14AM

Madmax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Friday I shopped at the Giant store in Lorton and
> was told I had 1003 gas points, which is $1 off
> Per gallon for Shell gas. I went to a Shell
> station in Burke to fill up my car and was told I
> had no points. I called the toll free hotline for
> Giant gas rewards and was told 1000 points had
> been redeemed in Alexandria on the same Friday
> night. Someone obviously used my phone number to
> redeem my points. I also heard that this is
> becoming a common occurrence
> in Fairfax county. Anyone else fall victim to
> this theft???

Has not happened to me, but I have heard about it happening to others. I would go get a new giant card, and use a different phone number, such as one that does not even exist by area code. Giant does not really care, they just want you to shop there. Always use the fake number in the future. That is how others I know have fixed the problem of others using their card number, like family members, etc.

Posted by: possible hacking ()
Date: July 22, 2013 10:29AM

I doubt Giant's system is hack proof.

The same thing happened with my Staples rewards--I finally stopped using it. They were redeemed twice in some store in CA.

Posted by: ex-Lester ()
Date: July 22, 2013 10:32AM

Unless they paid with cash, it's probably linked to a credit card transaction. That's if you wanted to go through the trouble of filing a report.

Posted by: definitions ()
Date: July 22, 2013 11:34AM

At what point does it let you key in a phone number? I have keyed in my Giant card number, why do they take a phone number? Seems like an easy way to cheat someone. They should only allow the swipe of the Giant card or keying in of the card number.

And don't make your "fake" number 703-867-5309, everyone tries that one.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 22, 2013 11:38AM

It happened to my ex once.

Posted by: Trying to help ()
Date: July 22, 2013 12:29PM

Maybe you left a receipt on the self check-out, which had the amount of points you have.. Or potentially the cashier ringing you out noticed the high amount of points and redeemed them, that night..

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: July 22, 2013 05:01PM

Madmax Wrote:
> Friday I shopped at the Giant store in Lorton and
> was told I had 1003 gas points, which is $1 off
> Per gallon for Shell gas. I went to a Shell
> station in Burke to fill up my car and was told I
> had no points. I called the toll free hotline for
> Giant gas rewards and was told 1000 points had
> been redeemed in Alexandria on the same Friday
> night. Someone obviously used my phone number to
> redeem my points. I also heard that this is
> becoming a common occurrence
> in Fairfax county. Anyone else fall victim to
> this theft???

I always thought that the phone number you keyed in as alternate ID would be verified against the zip code of your CC when swiped for verification. Apparently, its completely independent.

Interesting.

Posted by: Prezident Obama ()
Date: July 22, 2013 06:15PM

That could have been me losing those 1003 points.

Posted by: BigD ()
Date: July 22, 2013 06:25PM

My money is on the cashier. On days he/she knows he needs to fill up, he looks for the customer with the most points. 13 gallon tank, 1000 points, it's like getting paid for an extra two hours of work that day.

Posted by: is it that hard to figure out? ()
Date: July 22, 2013 06:41PM

OK, I have this wild and crazy theory.

Maybe, just maybe, I know this sounds really out there.....

Perhaps the person at the gas station, when punching in their phone number, hit one digit off...you know a 3 instead of a 4, or maybe a 6 instead of a 7, and they used your points by accident.

Is it possible? Million to one odds, I know.

Posted by: Rusty_Hall ()
Date: July 22, 2013 07:39PM

is it that hard to figure out? Wrote:
> OK, I have this wild and crazy theory.
>
> Maybe, just maybe, I know this sounds really out
> there.....
>
> Perhaps the person at the gas station, when
> punching in their phone number, hit one digit
> off...you know a 3 instead of a 4, or maybe a 6
> instead of a 7, and they used your points by
> accident.
>
> Is it possible? Million to one odds, I know.

Ya fuckin mook. What an asshat.

Posted by: Jef3r ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:40AM

Interesting. Those gas points expire 30 days after the day they are earned. You spent 1000 on groceries in a month? I only question this because I frequently find that I have way more gas points than I should based on what I spend at giant. I'm wondering if maybe the previous owner of my phone number is still using it thinking it's linked to his or her card? It's really bizarre how many points we get. We're up to over 400 right now and have NOT spent that much at Giant in the last thirty days.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:45AM

I can't see how you'd spend 1,003 dollars in one month at Giant, unless you're buying medication. Anyway, it's possible that the points expired.

Posted by: really? ()
Date: July 23, 2013 09:12AM

you people talking about how someone may have stolen gas points from a giant customer, the incorrect phone # at the pump theory, have no clue how one can amass several hundred points without spending several hundred dollars?

last time i filled up i had $2.30 off a gallon, and i can assure you i didnt spend anywhere remotely close to $2K+. if i had to guess, i spent about $250 over the course of two or three weeks.

to the OP, that is odd. AFAIK, the only way to get gas points redeemed at the shells stations is with the giant card itself, or manually entering the # on the back. a phone number doesnt come into play, at the pumps at least. it is possible somebody had a card with a # that was 1 digit off of yours and fat fingered the entry?

Posted by: lolwtf ()
Date: July 23, 2013 09:23AM

The most you can get off is $2.20 .. so I don't think $2.30 is possible.

To those saying they expired, the OP clearly stated s/he called and was told they were redeemed.. so that explanation also makes no sense.

As for the wrong # -- that's very well possible. The odds of 1 in millions is retarded given there's only 10 million possible numbers in a given area code. Chances are there are more than 10 people with Giant Reward cards in the 703 area code. There's even less numbers actually in use and I bet there's hundreds of thousands of them with Giant bonus cards. Now how many of them would have a number that might be off by one is probably a lot lower.

For shits and giggles I tried putting in the phone number of Giant stores into the machine before but none of them were ever accepted. I wonder if it's actually "illegal" to use someone else's phone number. I'd think it must be if you're stealing their credit.. surely violates some law.

Posted by: DrHenryKillinger ()
Date: July 23, 2013 09:25AM

The only solution now is to dial all the possible phone numbers that are one digit off from yours and ask "did you fucking steal my Giant points?".

Date: July 23, 2013 09:38AM

DrHenryKillinger Wrote:
> The only solution now is to dial all the possible
> phone numbers that are one digit off from yours
> and ask "did you fucking steal my Giant points?".

You don't ask - you tell them you know they stole them and you want them back by midnight.

Posted by: dumbos pay attention ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:23PM

The points do expire in 30 days.

$1000/month is nothing on groceries for a family of four. I wish my bill was that low.

You get bonus points for buying certain items so it isn't dollar for dollar.

I believe they cap you at $1.00 off per gallon--don't believe the guy who claimed $2.60 off.

Posted by: Pick'em ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:32PM

really? Wrote:
> ...
> to the OP, that is odd. AFAIK, the only way to
> get gas points redeemed at the shells stations is
> with the giant card itself, or manually entering
> the # on the back. a phone number doesnt come
> into play, at the pumps at least. it is possible
> somebody had a card with a # that was 1 digit off
> of yours and fat fingered the entry?

I think this is the most likely scenario, whether accidentally or intentionally.

I'd bet that the numbers are sequential. Rather than some organized hacking, which doens't really seem worthwhile, or trying random phone numbers where the odds are greatly against you, it's far more likely that you'd get a good "hit" by simply plugging in an account number that's some number off in some position from a known good number. You could try several in a visit by simply cancelling the transaction and starting over. Now and then you'd hit the jackpot.

Date: July 23, 2013 12:49PM

dumbos pay attention Wrote:
> The points do expire in 30 days.
>
> $1000/month is nothing on groceries for a family
> of four. I wish my bill was that low.
>
> You get bonus points for buying certain items so
> it isn't dollar for dollar.
>
> I believe they cap you at $1.00 off per
> gallon--don't believe the guy who claimed $2.60
> off.

No one claimed $2.60. Someone claimed $2.30. They cap you at $2.20. It's all on the website.

Date: July 23, 2013 04:27PM

Trust me, I know the points expire in 30 days...I called the Giant card hotline and they confirmed I had 1003 points last Friday and that they had been used later that same night in Alexandria. I agree that the cashier is the most likely suspect.

Date: July 23, 2013 04:27PM

Trust me, I know the points expire in 30 days...I called the Giant card hotline and they confirmed I had 1003 points last Friday and that they had been used later that same night in Alexandria. I agree that the cashier is the most likely suspect.

Posted by: NeLVn ()
Date: July 23, 2013 08:36PM

Forget Giant. I drive out to the country and get my food at a Bottom Dollar or an ethnic grocery store. Same food, lower prices!!! Just like how gas is 30 cents cheaper a county or 2 over...

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: July 23, 2013 08:39PM

Warning: Geek post.

Let's get a few facts straight here.

First, the pumps DO let you enter a phone#, as several folks have asserted. You have to select something like "ALT #",so maybe some of you have never tripped across it.

Second, it's quite possible that this was accidental. One question: how would a cashier get your number? Does it appear on the receipt? If so, that's pretty stupid on Giant's part (quite possible).

As for the one-off-on-the-card-number, that seems unlikely, unless Giant is really dumb (again, quite possible). My number has 12 digits. I expected it to have a valid Luhn checksum, but it doesn't: it's one low (last digit is 1 and should be 2 to be a valid Luhn). However, Giant *might* have deliberately created the card numbers with a Luhn that's off by one, to avoid having them look like credit card numbers. There aren't any 12-digit credit card numbers around any more, but there used to be. Here's a tool: http://bavister.org/tools/genLuhn.php -- if a few others would run their numbers and report whether they validate or are off, and if off, by how much, that would be interesting.

Finally, in terms of someone hacking the number deliberately by trial and error: that would take quite a while. The pumps (every one I've used, anyway) are quite slow and the process takes several steps. Even going through a half dozen numbers would take a suspiciously long amount of time -- and cameras at pumps aren't exactly rare. Not sayin' it couldn't happen, just that it seems like most people smart enough to think of it would realize how much they'd be asking to get caught. Though based on News of the Weird and friends, it never pays to misunderestimate [sic] folks' stupidity...

Posted by: matt 703 ()
Date: July 24, 2013 09:35AM

BigD Wrote:
> My money is on the cashier. On days he/she knows
> he needs to fill up, he looks for the customer
> with the most points. 13 gallon tank, 1000 points,
> it's like getting paid for an extra two hours of
> work that day.

agreed. that's what i was going to say.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: July 24, 2013 07:10PM

I was in a grocery store in another state last month. They had a similar program; I wanted the store discounts, but had no interest in the gas points, since I wasn't going to be there after the next day. The cashier said "No problem, we'll use the manager's number".

Wonder if the manager got to use THOSE points? Somebody was makin' out...

Posted by: sheeba ()
Date: May 19, 2014 05:58PM

I have had issues with one Shell station not giving me full credit for the points that I have had. I've been to two other Shells several times without being shorted points. I am calling about this tomorrow. Since reading these posts, I am now wondering if this station is making money from the points that are shorted.

Posted by: Rebecca ()
Date: May 19, 2014 06:41PM

This has happened to me twice. I didn't know there was a number to call to check on the points. Where does one find the phone number to call to check on bonus points?

Posted by: Giant sucks...not the point ()
Date: May 19, 2014 07:07PM

Greybeard Wrote:
>
> First, the pumps DO let you enter a phone#, as
> several folks have asserted. You have to select
> something like "ALT #",so maybe some of you have
> never tripped across it.
>
> Second, it's quite possible that this was
> accidental. One question: how would a cashier get
> your number? Does it appear on the receipt? If so,
> that's pretty stupid on Giant's part (quite
> possible).
>

The older Giant rewards cards use your phone number as the card number, as mine does. If I do not feel like getting my card out I can just enter my phone number at Giant to earn my rewards, which I am sure the cashier can see. They have nothing to do all day but watch people enter their phone numbers and see their points accrue, then pick one to use at the end of their shift. Not too difficult if you ask me.

Posted by: giantgas ()
Date: May 20, 2014 12:58AM

If you have teens or older kids - bet their friends used them. they know your phone number, just think how easy it is for them to type it in and use it. It's happened to me many times...Giant will give you a new card that does not associate your phone number with it, making it impossible for the points to be used without your card.

Also - just a tip for gas point users...we take both our cars at the same time...fill up one, then move that car out and fill up the second. :)

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: May 20, 2014 07:28AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2014 06:38PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: archived3archived3archived3archi ()
Date: May 20, 2014 05:36PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> Rebecca Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This has happened to me twice. I didn't know
> > there was a number to call to check on the
> points.
> > Where does one find the phone number to call
> to
> > check on bonus points?
>
> The phone number is 1-877-366-2668, which you can
> find in the gas rewards section of the Giant faqs
> Web page at http://www.giantfood.com/faqs/#gas
>
> I took a quick look at a Giant receipt I had and
> only the last 5 digits of my customer number are
> on the receipt. However, if the first 5 numbers
> are the same or in a very small range, it'd be
> easy to guess the whole number.
>
> Also, as already mentioned, anyone who has your
> phone number can use your gas points.
>
> Another possible security breach is the Giant A+
> School Rewards program, because they can bulk
> register Giant Card numbers, so all it would take
> would be some school employee or PTO volunteer
> with a little larceny in their hearts to help
> themselves to your gas points.

Posted by: dynabyt3 ()
Date: September 22, 2014 07:05PM

wow let me give you a hand!way to add to a converation.why not jut deficate on our keyboards?
whom sir, is the real mook here? id take a good long hard look in the mirror if i had to be you. of course, directly afterwards, i'd take that mirror, break it and cut my own neck cause i mean, im you so i already have the whole, worst luck in the world and probably universe if s.e.t.i ever had it way. id rather be an alien' a hole .so who care about broken glass, like crying for spoiled milk. just not worth much though. such as you are,not worth spit

Posted by: dynabyt3 ()
Date: September 22, 2014 07:07PM

to rusty with love...

Date: September 22, 2014 07:18PM

dynabyt3 Wrote:
> wow let me give you a hand!way to add to a
> converation.why not jut deficate on our keyboards?
>
> whom sir, is the real mook here? id take a good
> long hard look in the mirror if i had to be you.
> of course, directly afterwards, i'd take that
> mirror, break it and cut my own neck cause i mean,
> im you so i already have the whole, worst luck in
> the world and probably universe if s.e.t.i ever
> had it way. id rather be an alien' a hole .so who
> care about broken glass, like crying for spoiled
> milk. just not worth much though. such as you
> are,not worth spit

The way you spell you can't be old enough to drive.

Posted by: lku ()
Date: September 22, 2014 08:26PM

You might accrue more points than you realize if you buy 5, 6, or 8 of certain items. Or buy gift cards when they are offered. Normally you don't get points for gift cards, but they run periodic specials. You can really score a LOT of points. One thing you have to be careful of is if you are buying a large amount of gas and you want to pay at the pump and use your Giant card. Some pumps have a limit (like $75) at which point they will shut off. We take our boat and so have to go inside to speak to the cashier and show our method of payment. They might want to see cash until they get to know you. They will then turn on the pump and let 'er rip. The maximum number of gallons you can buy at one time using Giant points is 35. After that, you will pay full price. So, if you are buying more than 35 gallons (and have enough points), stop, pay, and then resume filling on a second transaction. (Our boat has an 80 gallon tank.)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.