HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why Did My Cell Phone Ring Overnight? New Fairfax County system used for wireless emergency alerts.
Posted by: Wireless Emergency alerts ()
Date: July 15, 2013 08:56AM

Why Did My Cell Phone Ring Overnight?
New Fairfax County system used for wireless emergency alerts.
http://oakton.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/why-did-my-cell-phone-ring-overnight_3ee7f3ec

Why did my cell phone buzz in the middle of the night with a flash flood warning alert?

That is the question many Fairfax County residents have been asking Friday morning, as thousands of them received emergency alerts overnight.

It is a new system from Fairfax County. The overnight messages were sent from the National Weather Service alerting residents to flash flooding warnings based on their location.

More than 3.5 inches of rain fell at Dulles International Airport in a three-hour span late Thursday and into Friday.

The county is encouraging wireless users to keep getting alerts so they can be informed in a case of a big emergency such as a tornado. They say the alerts are not intended to be used frequently.
Attachments:
77403157777f6b1cb6a862f641923228.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Did My Cell Phone Ring Overnight? New Fairfax County system used for wireless emergency alerts.
Posted by: flashy ()
Date: July 15, 2013 09:11AM

Yes this woke me up I thought the bombs were on the way

Re: Why Did My Cell Phone Ring Overnight? New Fairfax County system used for wireless emergency alerts.
Posted by: not frequently? ()
Date: July 15, 2013 09:29AM

"They say the alerts are not intended to be used frequently."

Then why did I get 1 at midnight, 1 at 3:00 AM, 2 between 6:30 and 7:00 on my drive to work, and a fifth one once I got to my office in Arlington? Yeah, when that happens, the emergency alerts get turned off.

Not frequently my ass.

Posted by: Cry Wolf ()
Date: July 15, 2013 09:38AM

Whoever decided to send the alerts out again and again should be fired. Wonder how many people have now permanently disabled the alerts on their phones thanks to some idiot bureaucrat?

Posted by: Cal Jammer ()
Date: July 15, 2013 09:39AM

My Jitterbug phone was blowing up last night. The same crap was happening to me.

Posted by: wut ()
Date: July 16, 2013 03:44AM

These alerts are not due to a fairfax county program, they are a FEMA/FCC program.

Posted by: Zak ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:51AM

Yeah, keep the f*cking government out of my life..... But when I get stranded in flood water or stuck under my house when a tree falls on the roof because I didn't evacuate, the f*cking fire dept better be johnny-on-the-spot and come rescue me!!

Yeah!1!1!1

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.