HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Annandale/Stuart redistricting...?
Posted by: mj91 ()
Date: May 28, 2009 07:49PM

I heard some kids that go to annandale are getting redistricted to stuart. is this true? if so, which area does this effect?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2009 08:02PM by mj91.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Annandale/Stuart redistricting...?
Posted by: oaktonmom ()
Date: May 28, 2009 08:01PM

uh oh

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: May 28, 2009 08:18PM

Faifax County.

Date: May 28, 2009 08:27PM

okay obviously fairfax county... i mean which neighborhoods would it effect...

Posted by: person ()
Date: May 28, 2009 10:03PM

It looks like the plan is to send some neighborhoods north of 236 to Falls Church HS and some neighborhoods west of the beltway to Lake Braddock. The plan doesn't show anyone changing to Stuart.

Middle school changes from Poe to Glasgow and Lake Braddock are part of the plan too. Maps are at:

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/spring2009/annandale/revisedplanmay42009.pdf

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: May 29, 2009 03:00PM

This won't be a fight. Some Annandale kids get to go to Lake Braddock (in terms of perception, an improvement) or to Falls Church (in terms of perception, a lateral move). The SL redistricting proved a clusterf*ck because some Oakton and Madison kids (who have money and hence more ability to hire lawyers and make a stink) got moved to South Lakes which is a move from the near-top to the near-bottom of the FCPS pyramid (at least in terms of perception.)

Posted by: Robin Hood ()
Date: May 29, 2009 06:00PM

formerhick76 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This won't be a fight. Some Annandale kids get to
> go to Lake Braddock (in terms of perception, an
> improvement) or to Falls Church (in terms of
> perception, a lateral move). The SL redistricting
> proved a clusterf*ck because some Oakton and
> Madison kids (who have money and hence more
> ability to hire lawyers and make a stink) got
> moved to South Lakes which is a move from the
> near-top to the near-bottom of the FCPS pyramid
> (at least in terms of perception.)

Quite a clusterf*ck? Yes, but correction, in addition to some Oakton and Madison families, a majority of the Floris community from Westfield participated in the redistricting lawsuit. They had their reasons. Look no further to the ever untouched Langley district. This current redistricting shouldn't be too resistant.

Posted by: Copy Editor ()
Date: May 29, 2009 06:35PM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> This won't be a fight. Some Annandale kids get to
> go to Lake Braddock (in terms of perception, an
> improvement) or to Falls Church (in terms of
> perception, a lateral move). The SL redistricting
> proved a clusterf*ck because some Oakton and
> Madison kids (who have money and hence more
> ability to hire lawyers and make a stink) got
> moved to South Lakes which is a move from the
> near-top to the near-bottom of the FCPS pyramid
> (at least in terms of perception.)

Um, I think it was the parents, not the kids, who had the money and hired the lawyers. If it was the kids, they are even more spoiled that I thought.

BTW, South Lakes isn't at the near-bottom of the FCPS, either in reality or perception. But, obviously there was just enough of a distinction for the parents to go nuts.

Posted by: Not so fast ()
Date: May 29, 2009 08:35PM

This one already is turning into a fight. Parents (like me) are completely up in arms that their kids will be pulled from Poe to go to Glasgow. Poe is overcrowded but is beginning to build a great reputation.

Posted by: BraddockDistrict ()
Date: May 29, 2009 08:46PM

Some politically active parents at Annandale are fighting the redistricting because they don't want to go to JEB Stuart. This is not a done deal.

Posted by: BraddockDistrict ()
Date: May 29, 2009 08:46PM

BraddockDistrict Wrote:
> Some politically active parents at Annandale are
> fighting the redistricting because they don't want
> to go to JEB Stuart. This is not a done deal.

Not JEB Stuart -- Falls Church.

Posted by: Mozart ()
Date: May 30, 2009 03:00PM

BraddockDistrict Wrote:
> BraddockDistrict Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Some politically active parents at Annandale
> are
> > fighting the redistricting because they don't
> want
> > to go to JEB Stuart. This is not a done deal.
>
> Not JEB Stuart -- Falls Church.

Well, actually it is a done deal. The fact that a few parents (a fraction of those who got involved during the earlier South Lakes redistricting) are upset won't change a single thing.

The primary proponent of the redistricting at the School Board meeting is Tessie Wilson, who represents the Braddock District, which includes Annandale. If she's on board, no one else will stand in the way.

The only school members who opposed this proposal were Kaye Kory, who probably was angry that Stuart (in her district) didn't get additional students, and Martina Hone, who aspires to higher office and knows how unpopular these one-off redistrictings are with some parents.

Quite honestly, sending some kids from overcrowded Annandale to Falls Church is a no-brainer. If there's an issue, it's sending more kids to Lake Braddock, which is already huge. It shows that the SB was full of crap when they claimed during the South Lakes redistricting that high schools generally should have around 2000 students. If that was their philosophy, the Annandale overflow should have gone to Stuart or Woodson, not Lake Braddock. By sending more kids to Lake Braddock, however, the School Board can continue to justify building a new middle school in South County, rather than making use of existing resources at Lake Braddock and other schools in the southern part of the county.

In other words, it's business as usual at FCPS.

Date: May 30, 2009 03:07PM

Not so fast Wrote:
> This one already is turning into a fight. Parents
> (like me) are completely up in arms that their
> kids will be pulled from Poe to go to Glasgow. Poe
> is overcrowded but is beginning to build a great
> reputation.

If you're in the BeechTree area that is getting rezoned from Poe to Glasgow, you have no chance to have this proposal rejected. Poe is overcrowded; Glasgow has been renovated and has extra capacity. And BeechTree feeds into Stuart, not Annandale (like the rest of Poe), so the School Board will say that it's doing your community a favor by eliminating a "split feeder" at Poe.

It's that simple. If you don't like it, you have two choices: move or pick a private school. Oh, there'e a third choice: litigate and waste your hard-earned money like the CAPS crowd from Madison and Oakton last year.

Posted by: band aid ()
Date: May 30, 2009 06:55PM

It will go through, and does make sense in some ways. The true problem with the boundary study is that it is a band-aid approach. The boundary study would basically take AHS and Poe down to their capacity. In a couple of years they will be right back where they are now, overcrowded. They need to take on a more comprehensive look at things to solve the problems long term.

Posted by: JEB ()
Date: May 31, 2009 06:52PM

Stuart got a large number of unexpected students for the 2008-09 school year, with more new students expected for 2009-2010. Stuart cannot take additional students, and is not part of the Annandale restructuring.

One theory is that private school students are opting for public school so Stuart is growing.

BTW, Stuart is a fine school. My kids went to Beechtree/Poe. Even though Poe is a great school, I wish they had gone to Glasgow and then on to Stuart; it just makes more sense.

Date: June 01, 2009 01:09PM

JEB Wrote:
> Stuart got a large number of unexpected students
> for the 2008-09 school year, with more new
> students expected for 2009-2010. Stuart cannot
> take additional students, and is not part of the
> Annandale restructuring.
>
> One theory is that private school students are
> opting for public school so Stuart is growing.
>
> BTW, Stuart is a fine school. My kids went to
> Beechtree/Poe. Even though Poe is a great school,
> I wish they had gone to Glasgow and then on to
> Stuart; it just makes more sense.

Another theory is probably that, with PW cracking down on undocumented immigrants, more are moving to Fairfax County, including Culmore.

Stuart's capacity is 1,942 students and its enrollment at the beginning of the 2008-09 school year was 1,614 students. Its projected enrollment in 2013 is 1800 students. So it appears that it could take additional students from Annandale, but chose to send them elsewhere.

For Stuart students/parents, that may not be so bad, as 1600-1800 students is certainly a decent size for a school.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 01, 2009 01:11PM

Shit, I didn't even realize Culmore was part of the united states anymore.

Posted by: something fishy here ()
Date: June 01, 2009 02:40PM

I find it off that back in July 2008 when this eas first rolled out it was a Annandale/Stuart/Falls Church HS Boundary issue-now it included Lake Braddock.

I understand the connection in including Lake Braddock (which was deemed overcrowded at about this time btw), so that the brats at SOCO wouldn't have to send their brats to Lake Braddock.

Now we are borrowing $70 million to build a middle school for SOCO and saying that Lake Braddock has 400 seats for Annandale kids.

Wow, a lot of demographic changes in just one year. Lake Braddock was full but now it has 400 empty seats?????

I think it is time to file a Freedom of Information Act request on some emails from Lizzie Bordon (I mean Bradsher) and Stock to see which one had their little mitts in on this fiasco.

As a taxpayer, I resent it when School Board members play games and cost us $70 million on an unneeded school. If Pat Herrity has higher offices in mind, he better be more selective as to who he hangs out with. This could get ugly.

Posted by: LOLcat ()
Date: June 01, 2009 03:29PM

Iz in yo Cownty, rEdistrictering yo SkOoOlZz

Date: June 01, 2009 04:07PM

something fishy here Wrote:
> I find it off that back in July 2008 when this eas
> first rolled out it was a Annandale/Stuart/Falls
> Church HS Boundary issue-now it included Lake
> Braddock.
>
> I understand the connection in including Lake
> Braddock (which was deemed overcrowded at about
> this time btw), so that the brats at SOCO wouldn't
> have to send their brats to Lake Braddock.
>
> Now we are borrowing $70 million to build a middle
> school for SOCO and saying that Lake Braddock has
> 400 seats for Annandale kids.
>
> Wow, a lot of demographic changes in just one
> year. Lake Braddock was full but now it has 400
> empty seats?????
>
> I think it is time to file a Freedom of
> Information Act request on some emails from Lizzie
> Bordon (I mean Bradsher) and Stock to see which
> one had their little mitts in on this fiasco.
>
> As a taxpayer, I resent it when School Board
> members play games and cost us $70 million on an
> unneeded school. If Pat Herrity has higher
> offices in mind, he better be more selective as to
> who he hangs out with. This could get ugly.

I think you are making all the right connections. Annandale is overcrowded, so it makes sense to a redistricting. Falls Church and Stuart were the obvious solutions; both were considered under-capacity (FC more than Stuart) at the time.

When it came time to release a specific proposal (as opposed to just floating the idea), Stuart was no longer part of the equation. Even if it had higher than expected growth, it still has extra capacity.

Instead, what happened was that the Board directed the Staff to only consider a redistricting involving Annandale, Falls Church and Lake Braddock. It seems reasonably obvious that the reason to send more students to Lake Braddock now is to keep people from arguing that a SoCo middle school isn't needed because of the extra capacity at Lake Braddock.

File a FOIA request if you want - I think the local School Board members and politicians are pretty transparent with their agenda anyway. They just assume that they can get away with it and they are usually right.

Date: June 01, 2009 05:10PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Shit, I didn't even realize Culmore was part of
> the united states anymore.
>
> http://www.bikergeek.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/1
> 0/image0011.jpg

LOL. but it's actually not mexicans in culmore, it's all Salvadorians.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.