HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fire @ fairfax Credit Union Yesterday
Posted by: Point Five ()
Date: July 12, 2013 06:59AM

What happend at the Credit union at Waples Mill & Rt 50 yesterday >> I counted at least 20 fire trucks & 20 chiefs cars about 4:00PM anybody have any 411 ??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fire @ fairfax Credit Union Yesterday
Posted by: Informed Source ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:01AM

Yes, yesterday several units responded to what appeared to be a fire near Credit Union located at Waples Mill & Rt 50. The incident is still being investigated, however, its safe to say that the fire was probably the result of a Sharknado.

Posted by: FFX Photo 1 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:04AM

**Fairfax County**
Fairfax
Box : 4002
Channel : 4 Delta (Operations)
Channel : 4 Echo (Command)
Call : Structure Fire
Address : 4201 Members way
Dispatched Details : E440 On/Scene with Fire through the roof
Update : Command struck 2nd Alarm, Requested RIT level 1
New Update : Fire Contained to Alpha/Bravo corner, All units still working on Fireground
Command : BC403
I counted at least 20 Fire trucks & 15 Cheiefs & Haz Mat 4440 WOW !!!!!

Posted by: Willie ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:05AM

Is the bank open today ?? I need to pay for my massage today....

Posted by: asdfasdfafsd ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:25AM

Willie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the bank open today ?? I need to pay for my
> massage today....

Well it has a big hole in it.

Posted by: RowdyBurns ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:43AM

That is one of the biggest eyesores in the county. Who approved the design of that monstrosity? I looks like it was put together with old racquet ball walls.

Posted by: tbell ()
Date: July 12, 2013 08:41AM

way too many trucks and personnel for small amount of damage

Posted by: Wanker ()
Date: July 12, 2013 08:52AM

I have to agree I thought it was a mass casuality drill !!! everthing except the FFX county heli was there 25+ units.... MMM

Posted by: I bet it was a cigg in the can ()
Date: July 12, 2013 09:50AM

Fire looked like it started from the upper north facing(#29) "lounge/deck". Near where a trash can may have been, near the big round hole (odd design,& #not pretty). The fire spread up to the roofing and some interior framing.

Let me guess, someones smoke break and poorly disposed BUTT torched the place. Insurance companies must love dem's smokers!

BTW: I really have no idea what started this fire, just my guess, as I was stopped in west bound heavy traffic at 5:40pm Thursday 7/11/13.

Posted by: Mohamed ()
Date: July 12, 2013 10:01AM

You know it could have been a electrical fire or a UFO

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: July 12, 2013 10:37AM

News Release distributed via email

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone: 703-246-3801 TTY: 711 Fax: 703-385-1687
Duty PIO (Weekends/After-hours): 703-877-3702
fire-rescue.PA-LSE@fairfaxcounty.gov
News Release: 13-71
Date: July 12, 2013

Accidental Commercial Building Fire

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a commercial building fire, Thursday, July 11, 2013, at approximately 3:05 p.m. in the Fairfax Center area of Fairfax County. The building, Fairfax County Federal Credit Union, is located at 4201 Members Way.
Firefighters encountered smoke coming from the front and roof of the three-story building upon arrival. The Incident Commander struck a second alarm, bringing over 60 firefighters to the scene. Firefighters initiated an aggressive fire attack from several locations, bringing the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes. Firefighters conducted extensive overhaul and salvage operations because of fire in the walls and several void spaces. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $40,000.
According to the Incident Commander, the cause of the fire was a worker using an open flame repairing a leak in the roof.

Posted by: IAPFF ()
Date: July 12, 2013 12:04PM

Any estimate yet of how much the union firefighters managed to steal from the bank?

Posted by: Lyn ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:41PM

What is the status of the CU's system? When do they expect their computer system to be up and running? Are members' automated payments being processed? Members would appreciate some information.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 12, 2013 11:00PM

I observed customers using the drive through today

UPDATE: $40,000 Damage to Fairfax Bank in Thursday's Fire
Posted by: ***Updated*** ()
Date: July 15, 2013 08:47AM

UPDATE: $40,000 Damage to Fairfax Bank in Thursday's Fire
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/update-40000-damage-to-fairfax-bank-in-thursdays-fire

Despite the fact that the bank was open at the time Thursday's two-alarm fire broke out in the building's roof, Fairfax County fire officials told Patch Friday that there were no injuries as a result of the fire.

According to Dan Schmidt of Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, the fire broke out at around 3:05 p.m. After a second alarm was sounded, a total of 60 firefighters were on the scene helping to control the blaze.

Schmidt says the fire has been ruled accidental, and was caused by a construction worker working to repair a leak in the roof, with the use of a torch.

The fire caused an estimated $40,000 in damage, Schmidt reported.

"Firefighters conducted extensive overhaul and salvage operations because of fire in the walls and several void spaces," a news release added.

Patch was unable to verify if the credit union was open on Friday; the bank's main phone number continued to register a busy single after several attempts to call.

Despite firefighters getting the fire under control in about 20 minutes, the activity caused severe traffic delays in the area for more than two hours.

Several Patch readers wrote in about the abundance of police and fire personnel in the area, and sent in several photos, featured above.

A fire at the Fairfax County Credit Union on Thursday, July 11 caused roughly $40,000 in damage to the three-story building. (Credit: Patch reader Tony Belles)
Attachments:
fad26d2df7a4b1942e7c3dece5bfa4e.png
c4719c97128d0265d7fdaef3cc70d1e.png
17ea471ab3cca96a3ea92eb3472760a.png

Posted by: Broken Logic ()
Date: July 15, 2013 09:40AM

The bank was constructed with EFIS exterior so it most likely burned as plastic does giving off poison gas. Wal-Mart and other companies use that cheap material too.

Posted by: ctFGk ()
Date: July 16, 2013 12:46AM

RowdyBurns Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is one of the biggest eyesores in the county.
> Who approved the design of that monstrosity? I
> looks like it was put together with old racquet
> ball walls.

Looks like they built the exterior with bathroom tiles. Ugly design. Doesn't fit that location... between a storage facility and a trailer park. haha. Anyway, Apple FCU is right down the road. Way better.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.