HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: Joes ()
Date: July 07, 2013 04:20PM

I've got a broken dishwasher. Don't know who to call. We've had repairman come in the past and I'd never use them again. Incompetent. Any of you guys know of a good one? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: July 07, 2013 04:31PM

Most shit nowadays its cheaper to replace it than try to fix it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: Som Ding Wong ()
Date: July 07, 2013 04:45PM

Stabitha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most shit nowadays its cheaper to replace it than
> try to fix it.

Not for a dishwasher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: July 07, 2013 07:10PM

Joes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got a broken dishwasher. Don't know who to
> call. We've had repairman come in the past and
> I'd never use them again. Incompetent. Any of you
> guys know of a good one? Thanks in advance.

There are a number of excellent online sites that provide info, feedback, forums, and parts even. If you have no porblem being a DIYer I heartily recommend them - I have replaced a ishwasher inlet valve, fixed a dishwasher auto-soap dispenser, replaced a washer timing module, and recently replaced a furnace blower motor.

And probably more.

ALL with the help of online sites and mailorder.

Go to youtube and describe your dishwasher problem in the search field - tada! Fix video...probably.

Or go to someplace like http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/ and search for your problem - tada! Fix info...

Though I can undoubtedly afford to pay someone else to do all this, I like getting into things and understanding what's going on and what's going wrong.

It has worked well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: Ceb ()
Date: July 07, 2013 07:21PM

I called L&M when my dishwasher broke. Quick response and MUCH cheaper than replacing the whole thing. It's always a hard decision but I was pleased.

L & M Appliance Service
14525 Lock Dr
Centreville, VA 20120
703-815-9088

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: centrevillian ()
Date: July 08, 2013 03:18PM

Olde Farte, II Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joes Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've got a broken dishwasher. Don't know who
> to
> > call. We've had repairman come in the past and
> > I'd never use them again. Incompetent. Any of
> you
> > guys know of a good one? Thanks in advance.
>
> There are a number of excellent online sites that
> provide info, feedback, forums, and parts even. If
> you have no porblem being a DIYer I heartily
> recommend them - I have replaced a ishwasher inlet
> valve, fixed a dishwasher auto-soap dispenser,
> replaced a washer timing module, and recently
> replaced a furnace blower motor.
>
> And probably more.
>
> ALL with the help of online sites and mailorder.
>
> Go to youtube and describe your dishwasher problem
> in the search field - tada! Fix video...probably.
>
> Or go to someplace like
> http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/ and search
> for your problem - tada! Fix info...
>
> Though I can undoubtedly afford to pay someone
> else to do all this, I like getting into things
> and understanding what's going on and what's going
> wrong.
>
> It has worked well.


+1 to this method

There are soo many videos on youtube that walk you through pretty much any job. At least look up the video and see what it takes, if you're not comfortable after that, then get a professional. However, you're gonna be pissed when it takes 10 minutes to fix and you're out $150.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: July 08, 2013 04:36PM

I'm a middle-aged woman and even I have learned to do a fair number of repairs around the house. I got fed up with incompetent people charging a fortune for inferior service. The last straw was a plumber I called to repair a faucet who charged $200 to tell me that it couldn't be repaired.

Your best bet if you don't want to do it yourself is to check Consumer's Checkbook for recommendations. It's worth the subscription.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: samuel jayson ()
Date: July 09, 2013 04:07PM

I used a company in San Francisco and they have many locations all over California, check them out at www.atbayappliance.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: u be moron ()
Date: July 09, 2013 04:23PM

samuel jayson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used a company in San Francisco and they have
> many locations all over California, check them out
> at www.atbayappliance.com


Is this fucking California? No. Now shut the fuck up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: jane goodale ()
Date: July 09, 2013 04:24PM

Samuel wins the award for most useless comment today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: July 14, 2013 08:09PM

Jerry's Appliance. Smart, honest, and works FAST--he's not into spending any more of your $$$ than necessary. 703-318-3295. I know I sound like a shill but I've used him for over a decade, and always been happy (well, as happy as I can be when spending money!).

A few years ago, I had a nagging problem with a dryer that took several visits (problem was intermittent, so he was Easter Egging). He wound up not charging me for much of the time, and left in some of the new parts, noting that it was cheaper for him to give them to me than to spend his time to take them back out. I would have expected to pay for all of his time, PLUS the new parts that didn't fix the problem. Oh, and the final fix was to replace a small but expensive circuit board. The new one had been redesigned--looked quite different--and wouldn't quite fit. He took it home, used a Dremel to reshape it slightly, came back, and put it in.

What more could you ask for?!?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have a good appliance repairman recommendation?
Posted by: Bates ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:14AM

Whatever you do, do NOT call A@E factory service. You will be sorry if you do.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
  *******    *******   **          ******    **     ** 
 **     **  **     **  **    **   **    **   ***   *** 
 **     **         **  **    **   **         **** **** 
  ********   *******   **    **   **   ****  ** *** ** 
        **         **  *********  **    **   **     ** 
 **     **  **     **        **   **    **   **     ** 
  *******    *******         **    ******    **     ** 
This forum powered by Phorum.