HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
My kid failed the SOL. Now what?
Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 28, 2013 11:51PM

So this is our first SOL (new to county). My son failed the reading portion, bit passed the others. He got passing grades in reading on his report card. Am I supposed to discuss this with the school? I didn't think there was a problem based on his report card, but now I'm thinking he needs some help this summer.

How much credence do you give to SOLs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My kid failed the SOL. Now what?
Posted by: Doin' it right ()
Date: June 29, 2013 12:32AM

I'm afraid your child has a strong sign of "re-fucking-tardedness" and should have learned to read our angelic language before defiling the sacred tradition of public school standardized testing. Now considering he passed the other portions (which are, dare I say, retardedly simple by comparison) we must now move onto the traditional Test of Usefulness. This exam is conducted by driving your child out deep into wooded country and sending him away from the minivan via taser. You drive off and wait 57 hours before returning to the scene, and once there follow the trail of disfigured animal carcasses to the cave in the hill where your son should be hiding and devouring his latest kill. If you find your son lying dead of starvation then it was clear that nature had let this one "slip by" and he was not meant for this world to begin with. Consider the complete failings you achieved as parents and then, should you choose to try for another child, one of you must kill yourselves before seeing that re-bound baby plan through. SEARS at the Fair Oaks Mall does NOT need yet another dangerously-close-to-escaping stock boy who will, for no good reason whatsoever, screech and moan while jacking off in the home gym equipment section between deliveries.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: June 29, 2013 12:40AM

Mr.D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So this is our first SOL (new to county). My son
> failed the reading portion, bit passed the others.
> He got passing grades in reading on his report
> card. Am I supposed to discuss this with the
> school? I didn't think there was a problem based
> on his report card, but now I'm thinking he needs
> some help this summer.
>
> How much credence do you give to SOLs?

Apparently, the SOL in reading was more difficult than ever. I give no credence to SOLs. The SOL measures how well you measure the SOL.

Posted by: Dean Faber ()
Date: June 29, 2013 01:48AM

Mr.D Wrote:
> some help this summer.
>

Not a problem at all. Just a good indicator of future career path. Here you go, just pick this up for your kid:

http://www.thecollegetoolbox.com/bomifidshlh.html

BTW, you also now owe the citizens 100K for the amount that we wasted on his public education. Just send a check to the county. K? Thanks. Bye now.

Posted by: section 8 sharon. ()
Date: June 29, 2013 01:54AM

Don't sweat it. Thanks to all the great entitlements by democrats your kid really doesnt need a job. Just provide him/her with directions to the welfare office.

Posted by: Sesame Street ()
Date: June 29, 2013 04:56AM

Mr.D Wrote:
> some help this summer.
>

Your son in a few years...
Attachments:
ditch-digger.jpg

Posted by: BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT ()
Date: June 29, 2013 05:19AM

Mr.D Wrote:
> failed the reading portion, bit

Clearly he failed because of you but don't worry!

Posted by: jan falk, LCSW ()
Date: June 29, 2013 08:40AM

Wow, not one moron actually answered the question. You people really need to get a job or something. No the SOL does not mean anything unless your son does not pass enough of them (and there are some requirements per subject) to get his diploma, advanced or standard. There is a lot of information on the FCPS and VDOE website about it. I would NOT succumb to the school requiring your son to take summer school, I would just be sure that he loves reading in the future by reading a lot of the stuff he enjoys and make sure he can pass the others in the future. Dont be pressured, they will try.

Posted by: Jef3r ()
Date: June 29, 2013 09:20AM

Grade level would be helpful to know. 8th or younger the SOLs mean absolutely nothing. It's not until you are in high school that you actually have requirements to pass them in order to get a diploma. If you fail an SOL in high school, you are pretty much immediately given a chance to retake it if you came anywhere close to passing. Since you didn't mention a retake option, I'm going to guess your kid is in middle or elementary school in which case...don't sweat it.

Posted by: Lets get real ()
Date: June 29, 2013 09:25AM

I am puzzled by the many posts on FU that worry about not finding a job. Ok that may make a difference if you have a Masters or Doctorate. But if you only graduate high school welfare is a viable alternative. It pays for your medical, housing, food and a cell phone. Have you ever heard anyone on welfare worry about bills like the rest of us do?

Welfare used to be the domain of minorities but now Whites are catching on quickly. Why walk when you can ride.

Posted by: Truth Is ()
Date: June 29, 2013 10:24AM

He may have a future in politics. Obama is an academic failure and completely unqualified in any way to lead anything, but look where he ended.

Posted by: Part of the Problem ()
Date: June 29, 2013 11:02AM

He's now SOL. Hence the name of the test.

Posted by: Try reform school ()
Date: June 29, 2013 08:42PM

Google military schools. He's toast. Toast with no butter

Posted by: SOLoser ()
Date: June 29, 2013 09:13PM

Now what? Nothing. Move on.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: June 29, 2013 09:37PM

Contrary to what idiots are telling you: don't worry. The SOL is a standardized test. I know people who have failed the course and passed the SOL. He'll get a chance to re-take it sometime next year. Assuming this is high school, nobody cares as long as he passes.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: June 29, 2013 10:10PM

I can see why your child failed such a simple test. Its apparent when I read your post why he failed the reading portion, because you can't write yourself. Looks like your child will be doomed just like you.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: June 30, 2013 08:00AM

Mr.D Wrote:
> some help this summer.
>

Now what? You post a stupid question like this on FFU and you take shots from the regular trolls and the bored/unsupervised kid trolls on summer vacation.

Posted by: Ffx Student ()
Date: June 30, 2013 12:56PM

Sounds to me like the teacher gave your son a passing grade that be didn't deserve. The SOLs are easy. Your son must be illiterate if he couldn't pass.

Posted by: Kath ()
Date: July 01, 2013 09:47AM

The reading tests were much more rigorous this year and scores are down throughout the state. If your son passed all other tests obviously he has learned much of the content of his subjects at school but had trouble with the reading test itself. Summer school, a tutor or reading class would be helpful to boost his reading skills over the summer. Also, some kids need to learn to interpret the test questions--the SOLs are also a test of "test taking" ability. Kids who get tired, distracted, or bored while taking such long tests can end up with scores below their abilities.

Posted by: Doin' it right ()
Date: July 01, 2013 02:21PM

It takes courage to admit to yourself and your family members that your infected womb produced a being that can only be described as a forehead-monster. Yes people will say he has been "touched by the angels" but those angels do little more than spread the curse and burden of retardation to the most innocent among us. They then grow and evolve into a horribly dangerous situation for everyone in the neighborhood causing the HOA to post signs on neighborhood property warning of your child's presence in the area.

Posted by: Sami ()
Date: May 31, 2016 08:29AM

I have never seen such nonsense by idiots. If anyone gets a chance to read this. I know the issue. These teachers get graded by these SOLS. So, of course, they're concerned. Reality is, some kids are not test takers nor are they comfortable knowing "jimmy and Helen went to lake on a fishing trip" that THEY cant relate to. Its RIDICULOUS. I didnt pass all my tests and I didnt pass my SATs. LOL...I went to college, Im an accountant now as an adult and I'm doing just fine. Dont stress.

Posted by: Promptly ()
Date: May 31, 2016 10:17AM

Sami Wrote:
> I have never seen such nonsense by idiots. If
> anyone gets a chance to read this. I know the
> issue. These teachers get graded by these SOLS.
> So, of course, they're concerned. Reality is,
> some kids are not test takers nor are they
> comfortable knowing "jimmy and Helen went to lake
> on a fishing trip" that THEY cant relate to. Its
> RIDICULOUS. I didnt pass all my tests and I didnt
> pass my SATs. LOL...I went to college, Im an
> accountant now as an adult and I'm doing just
> fine. Dont stress.

Three years later. They've been waiting on your response. Thanks for finally getting around to it.

Posted by: retired teacher ()
Date: May 31, 2016 10:46AM

They re-take the SOL until they pass them. Don't go ballistic and crazy on your child. There will many opportunities for your child to get additional help before the re-take, so make sure s/he takes advantage of those offerings.

Posted by: SOL's have ruined education ()
Date: May 31, 2016 11:55AM

I am 100% against SOL's. The teachers stress the students out because they have so much stress put on them. My 5th grader came home crying because he was so afraid to fail them. I called the school and opted him out. Absolutely ridiculous to make a 10 year old fear a test so much. I have a friend who's son failed his high school sol and was not able to walk with his graduating class. He had a 3.6 gpa but was a horrible test taker. It is possibly the worst system we have placed in our schools. Hopefully they will do away with them soon. I know I would have failed if they had been in place when I was in school. Opt your kid out, you can do that in elementary school.

Posted by: solo cup ()
Date: May 31, 2016 02:58PM

How old is your child? There are practice tests available - just google SOL released tests.

Posted by: Dpc4W ()
Date: May 31, 2016 07:02PM

If you're son was a hot 18 yr old girl, she could be bringing home more than you.

Posted by: Ponder this...... ()
Date: May 31, 2016 07:08PM

Perhaps a career with the Fire Department?

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: June 13, 2016 04:08PM

I would love to kick your teeth in you freaking redneck racist. Please respond with a place and time I can meet you so I can kick your ass. This is directed towards the person who called the kid a retard.

Posted by: public school nomore ()
Date: June 13, 2016 11:48PM

I gave up on public school s sometime ago. My last kid is entering 9 grade and has been in our local Catholic school since 4th grade. He is going into all ap course's next year because the private schools are that much more ahead as a whole. It cost me about a car payment each month. But it is money well spent. His class size is 19, all the other kids and parents are committed to the school and the children's education, and they dont have to walk on eggshells about religion in school. The local Jr high had 160 fights in the first two month of this school year that required administrative discipline. Know how many for his school? Zero. Whats that worth to you. Something to think about. It is good that you are involved enough to noticed and are trying to find solutions for your kid. I'd worry more about finding what they accully know, and what and how they're learning, than I would be about the sol score, as some kids just don't test well. Stay with it till you figure it out. One advantage of ps system is that they have the resources to help you evaluate your child. Set up a meeting with the principal as they will know how to get a proper evaluation and course of action. My kid went from a's and b's in public school the first year to c's and d's in private. He worked his way up to a's and b's after a semester or two. I've never regreted it for a moment. Good luck

Posted by: Panfish ()
Date: June 14, 2016 12:31AM

Charles Wrote:
> I would love to kick your teeth in you freaking
> redneck racist. Please respond with a place and
> time I can meet you so I can kick your ass. This
> is directed towards the person who called the kid
> a retard.

Ooh, rough trade...you sound like a bit of a tard yourself...

Posted by: Diana ()
Date: June 14, 2016 10:50PM

Charles Wrote:
> I would love to kick your teeth in you freaking
> redneck racist. Please respond with a place and
> time I can meet you so I can kick your ass. This
> is directed towards the person who called the kid
> a retard.

Retard #2 says what? You sure your mom will let you out?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.