HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tate, Queensryche set to rock Falls Church
Posted by: Queensryche ()
Date: June 17, 2013 09:13AM

Tate, Queensryche set to rock Falls Church
Band plays through uncertainty with new album
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130607/ENTERTAINMENT/130609553/1063/tate-queensryche-set-to-rock-falls-church&template=fairfaxTimes

Formed in 1982, progressive heavy metal band Queensryche hit it big with their third album, “Operation: Mindcrime.” The concept album told a story throughout and became a platinum success for the band.

In 2012, after a fallout in Sao Paulo, Brazil, guitarist Michael Wilton, bassist Eddie Jackson and drummer Scott Rockenfield voted to kick Geoff Tate out of the band. Tate filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against the members and asked for an injunction prohibiting the other members of the band to record or perform as Queensryche. The injunction was shot down by a judge, so Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfield hired Todd La Torre to take over for Tate. Tate, meanwhile, hired new band members. Both groups are currently recording and touring as Queensryche.

Queensryche

When: 8:30 p.m. June 13

Where: The State Theatre, N. Washington St., Falls Church

Tickets: $32 in advance, $35 at the door

More information: 703-237-0300; thestatetheatre.com
Queensryche, with Tate as the lead singer, will perform at The State Theatre in Falls Church on June 13. Doors open at 7 p.m., and tickets are $32 in advance and $35 at the door.

A&E recently spoke with Tate about the turmoil with the band, the 25th anniversary of the band’s biggest record, his band’s new album and if he thought the original members would ever get back together.

A&E: I don’t know how much you can talk about it, but can you talk a little from your perspective about the band breakup and how damaging it may be having two Queensryches out there?

TATE: Well, I think that it’s definitely challenging, yeah, definitely. In a business sense, you know? We’re basically competing against each other right now, which is no fun. I mean, it’s hard enough out there, you know, touring and competing against other bands and that kind of thing for the touring dollar. It’s hard enough doing that without competing against yourselves, basically. Yeah, very difficult. But November is the date for the reconciliation, we hope, of the lawsuit. So hopefully it’ll all be over by then.

A&E: What was it like putting together a new Queensryche album with new members?

TATE: Oh, it was great. Yeah, a really fun project. A very challenging project. Initially, the four of us got together — Randy Gane and Lukas Rossi, myself and Jason Slater — and wrote tracks for the record. In writing them, we thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be fun to get really great players in to perform these tracks with us to see where we could take it?’ Boy, it was really fun, but really challenging to do because when you want to use really great players, great players are typically in demand. They have their own schedules and other projects they’re involved with. So the challenge was getting everybody in the same place at the same time. It turned out well. I’m really happy with the whole project. It was really fun to do. A great experience, actually.

A&E: It’s been 25 years since “Operation: Mindcrime” was released and it’s gone on to be certified platinum — with it being the band’s third studio album, did you think it would catch fire like it did?

TATE: No, no. Actually you never know that stuff. It’s something that happens. Of course, you’re happy about it. But, yeah, that was our first really big breakthrough record that kind of caught on and had mass appeal. It’s strange that it’d be that record. (Laughs.) An album about a terrorist becomes a big seller. Who’d have thunk it?

A&E: How did the idea for the story of “Operation: Mindcrime” come about?

TATE: I grew up in the ’60s and ’70s with the music and art of the times. The concept record was a style of record that quite a few bands I grew up listening to participated in. And I wanted to bring that idea into Queensryche. I talked about it from the beginning, I think from our first record I was talking about with Chris [DeGarmo], my writing partner then, that I wanted to do this and I started exposing him to the records I grew up with. We found a record that the both of us really liked and grew up with, “Sgt. Pepper,” by The Beatles. It was a concept record. So we used that as a pattern to start with. We had to have a storyline to start with. After the “Rage for Order” record, we were on tour at the time, and I stayed in Montreal after the tour ended and came up with the idea for the storyline. I brought it back to Chris in Seattle when I came back months later and he liked the idea quite a bit so we started making it happen.

A&E: It looks like you might be dabbling a little when it comes to acting. Is that something you really enjoy doing and are you thinking about doing more?

TATE: I like that word, dabble. (Laughs.) That really encompasses it. I’ve done a little bit of acting in videos, of course. I got an opportunity to act in a film — it’s been several years ago now — called “The Burningmoore Incident.” I auditioned for the part and got it. Yeah, it was a great experience, actually, and I’d like to do more. It was difficult to do. You know actors, I have a lot of respect for what they do. There’s a lot of people who can act and then there’s a handful of exceptional actors that do great things. It’s an art form unto its own. It’s not something that’s easily done. I found it to be very challenging — to feel natural doing it, I think you’ve really got to throw yourself into the part. There’s a lot of thinking that goes into it. For me, I was playing the part of a killer, a serial killer character, and actually never having any experience in that realm (laughs) I had to sort of image what it would be like, do a lot of research investigating serial killers, watching interviews of people trying to get my head into the head of a serial killer, really. Kind of living the part, we filmed it in this very derelict building in New York during the winter and it was just a miserable experience. This place had no heat. It had generators running electricity because it was a derelict building. There were holes in the roof and it was raining and snowing and just icky. (Laughs.) I had to live in that environment for a week while we filmed my parts. I didn’t take a bath or shower. I was dirty and filthy — it fit the part. I definitely felt more like … I think I felt more like the character would feel. At least that’s what I imagined. It was a great learning experience and I got to learn a lot of really interesting stuff about being on camera, what to do, what not to do. I got to learn stunt moves and fighting techniques and things like that. It was very strenuous. But I enjoyed it, I really did.

A&E: With “Operation: Mindcrime” kind of lending itself to the theatrics, have you ever thought about making that into a stage show or possibly a movie down the road?

TATE: Yeah, many times actually. Queensryche actually performed “Operation: Mindcrime” in its entirety as a stage show several years ago — I believe it was 2006. We had actors and props and different sets and things that we utilized for the show. It was a really cool show, very well done, I think. We filmed it for a DVD called “Mindcrime at the Moore.” The story has actually been … different production companies have come to us over the years interested in making it into a film. It might happen at some point. I know there was a Broadway presentation of “Operation: Mindcrime” in the works from a company that’s writing it and wants to present it. The film part of it has yet to be done for various reasons. It takes years for the thing to come to film, I’ve found out. It’s a long road. It takes investors getting into it and focusing on how to present it, rewrites and then there’s a lot of stuff that goes into the whole thing.

A&E: I don’t know what your plans are with how long you plan on doing this, but is there something for you after Queensryche? At some point, do you say, “I’ve had enough. I want to do something else now?”

TATE: (Laughs.) I’ve had enough and I want out? (Laughs.) You know, I don’t know. I enjoy it. I like making music. I write all the time. I have tons and tons of songs and projects I’m working on — I’m already working on a new Queensryche record. I started about a month ago. It’s in the works. It’s what I do, you know? I write and I make songs and I make records and I perform live. I don’t know how else to define myself. (Laughs.) Maybe I’ll get to a point, you know, where I’m interested in something else as much, but I have a passion for it. For me, it’s important to follow my passions.

A&E: Is there any chance whatsoever of the core group getting back together?

TATE: I don’t think so. I think we’ve completed our chapter as a group. It’s moved on and probably went too long as it was. It’s a good thing that it’s done and we’re all moving on. I wish that we could have settled this whole thing in a much more gentlemanly way and not have it plastered all over the Internet every day. (Laughs.) That’s something I really wish would have happened. But it is what it is and we work with what we have and we’ll get through it and get to the other side. Which is what I’m doing. I’m just waiting for November to come and in the meantime continuing to make records and tour and having a good time doing it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tate, Queensryche set to rock Falls Church
Posted by: Queensryche Jihadist ()
Date: June 17, 2013 09:34AM

There are currently 2 groups touring as 'Ryche. One with Tate and a bunch of guys you've never heard of and one with all the other members and a guy singing you've never heard of.

The original lineup hasn't released anything listenable since "Empire" and that was 20 years ago. When you have or had a lead singer who wanted to focus on vinting wine and solo projects, it's the beginning of the end. These guys while very, very good in their day have spent more time jumping the shark then their "day" was long.

I saw them in their prime touring "Mindcrime". It was a religious experience. Thanks...I'll pass.

Posted by: Kelly Gray ()
Date: July 22, 2016 05:26PM

Promised Land was a solid album. If you get the Q2K album bonus tracks album, it is not bad.

Posted by: QOTSA! ()
Date: July 22, 2016 05:28PM

Finally some good music fans, qotsa awsome!

Posted by: wtf? ()
Date: July 22, 2016 06:17PM

Queensryche Jihadist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are currently 2 groups touring as 'Ryche.
> One with Tate and a bunch of guys you've never
> heard of and one with all the other members and a
> guy singing you've never heard of.
>

i thought he was on tour with that chinese guy from dream theatre?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.