HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New to the area...
Posted by: inquis ()
Date: March 14, 2005 08:44PM

Hi,

I'm new to the area (working at CGI-AMS, 12601 building) and I still need to get Virginia driver's license / plates / car registration (or whatever it is that everyone has in the front windshield of their car). What's the procedure for these things?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to the area...
Posted by: futbutter ()
Date: March 14, 2005 09:35PM

you're in for some fun. you need to goto the dmv and wait in line for ages for the license/plates. check http://www.dmv.state.va.us/ before you leave home for wait times. after that you'll need to go to a gas station or something for an inspection (one of the stickers on the windshield) and emissions test. the plates they give you at the dmv will only be valid for like a month. you need the emissions to get the 2 year stickers. you also need to pay your personal property tax on the car to get the county decal windshield sticker.

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: March 15, 2005 04:38AM

Yeah, and when you go to the DMV make sure you have like 4 forms of ID. Seriously.
Check the website for details, but I needed: Passport, pay stub, draft card, social security card. 9/11 highjackers had VA licenses or something. Assholes.

Posted by: get out now ()
Date: March 15, 2005 11:24PM

Dude, AMS is the worst company I have ever worked for. Total sweatshop. Get out now... unless your idea of fun is slaving away 60+ hours a week for a shitty 2% raise while your managers collect fat bonuses.

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: March 16, 2005 03:58PM

12601? Which AMS building is that? There's tons of them around here. Is that one by Fair Oaks Mall or by Fair Lakes? I have a friend that used to work there doing contract stuff for fairfax county public schools. He seemed to like it but quit after he got a new boss.

Posted by: hmmm ()
Date: August 11, 2008 12:15AM

the whole process is very painful you will find out

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.