HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
very dirty look from Famous Dave's employees when I didn't tip for take-out order... am I supposed to tip or not?
Posted by: candi ()
Date: September 18, 2008 10:17AM

very dirty look from Famous Dave's employees when I didn't tip for take-out order... one male and one female employee were handing me my order... they were super-friendly until I took the bags and started to leave.... then the dirty looks started....

am I supposed to tip or not?

what's next? tip the guys at McDonald's drive-thru window for handing me my
burgers and fries?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: very dirty look from Famous Dave's employees when I didn't tip for take-out order... am I supposed to tip or not?
Posted by: candi ()
Date: September 18, 2008 10:18AM

forgot to mention that it was at the Famous Dave's in Oakton. near Hunter Mill Rd and Rt 123, right by the Giant Food and CVS....

Re: very dirty look from Famous Dave's employees when I didn't tip for take-out order... am I supposed to tip or not?
Posted by: tip ()
Date: September 18, 2008 10:33AM

tip

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 18, 2008 11:02AM

I don't tip on take-out. I'm not sure that is normal... if I take the fuel cost hit to avoid fuel surcharges and a tip, then the cost they give should be the cost I pay at the counter.

Posted by: Yes ()
Date: September 18, 2008 11:25AM

Yes, I do think that most people tip when they get take-out.

Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: September 18, 2008 01:40PM

I generally tip 10% (pre-tax) for carryout. For what it's worth, I also tip 10% when I eat at the bar at Red Hot & Blue, but part of that is because I will have two large beers which inflates the total bill. I will likely get flamed for this, but it doesn't take any more effort to pour a Bud than a Blue Moon, so I think the tip should reflect that. For what it's worth, I do the same thing if I order an expensive bottle of wine. Does the server deserve an extra $4.50 if I spend $60 for a bottle of wine instead of $30?

Posted by: don'ttip ()
Date: September 18, 2008 02:09PM

what's the tip for? carrying the food from the kitchen to the cash register?

Posted by: TipCheapMofos ()
Date: September 18, 2008 05:14PM

You are cheap asses. They package your order, check for accuracy, process your bill, etc so they do more the walk it from the kitchen to the register. 10% is plenty. As far as tipping the same no matter what the cost of the booze is, I can relate, but anyone buying a 60$ of wine shouldn't wince at 4.50 thats just ignorant.

Posted by: TRAINEE ()
Date: September 18, 2008 06:08PM

TipCheapMofos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are cheap asses. They package your order,
> check for accuracy, process your bill, etc so they
> do more the walk it from the kitchen to the
> register. 10% is plenty. As far as tipping the
> same no matter what the cost of the booze is, I
> can relate, but anyone buying a 60$ of wine
> shouldn't wince at 4.50 thats just ignorant.

OK they do that same stuff at McDonald's and there is no begging, oops, mean tipping jar at the window. Suppose you tip if they just speak english at those places. Don't worry, there will soon be plenty more cheap asses out there. Restaurants will be happy just to have people show up and eat --be it carry out with tip or not.

Posted by: Frank ()
Date: September 18, 2008 06:25PM

Yeah, they do that stuff at the grocery store (except carrying from kitchen), drugstore, etc., etc.

No tip. The tip is for sustained good service over the course of a meal. One minute of ringing up and order and hanging over a bag deserves, oh, maybe 25 cents.

Go ahead and tip that if it makes you feel good.

If I get a dirty look, I complain to the manager, and tell him if I get another, I expect them to be fired. Or I will not be back, and neither will my friends (I will share!) or family.

Date: September 18, 2008 06:51PM

I did some online research on other boards to see what people think about this, and the clear majority says no tip except for situations where someone brings it out to your car (a couple of bucks) or if a bartender packaged it up or took time away from serving drinks to do something for you.

Another suggested the normal tip amount minus delivery fees that would have been paid had they brought it to your house.

I think I am in agreement with those that ask what is the difference between picking up a pizza for carryout and taking fast food out. I used to wait tables many years ago and don't recall ever getting tipped for a carryout order.

My feelings would change if I knew how the person at the cash register was paid, and it may depend on the place. Let's take an example... at Buffalo Wing Factory how is the take-out cashier paid? Half-wage for a tipped employee like the waiters, or whole-wage rate? If it's whole-wage rate, in my opinion they are getting fully paid for their job and I don't need to pay them more.

Posted by: bk ()
Date: September 18, 2008 06:56PM

It's kind of a weird middle ground. Clearly putting together a take-out order doesn't merit the same kind of tip you'd give and waiter/waitress or a delivery person. I used to not tip for take-out, but now I tip 10% on the basis that there are people involved in the process (cooks, clean-up crew, dishwashers, etc.) that get a percentage of tips and do the same work whether you're eating there or getting take-out.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: September 18, 2008 07:37PM

Date: September 18, 2008 07:58PM

Well, the original post on that one had to do with curbside pickup, which is in-between takeout and delivery.

But yeah, many aspects of tipping were discussed there too.

Posted by: Travis ()
Date: September 19, 2008 10:47AM

I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

Posted by: Karin ()
Date: September 19, 2008 02:31PM

I worked at a restaruant similar to Famous Dave. Worked there for two years
and I've only gotten a tip for carry-out order 3 times during the two years.

99% of the people who come in to pick up their orders do not tip. and why should
they? The 1 percent that did tip were nice people and I guess they felt like
tipping.

Now I work in an office... the Starbucks next to us has a big glass tip jar.
I've never put any money in it. hmmmm.....

Posted by: KarateeExplosion ()
Date: September 19, 2008 06:59PM

I work at a Diner in fairfax and get paid nearly 12 an hour to do Take out orders. I dont expect to get tipped. My friend works at outback steakhouse, does virtually the same job as I do, and gets 2.13.

Posted by: itsme333 ()
Date: September 19, 2008 08:48PM

for any carryout place, if theres a tip jar inside, they expect tip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2008 08:49PM by itsme333.

Posted by: confused ()
Date: September 19, 2008 10:35PM

KarateeExplosion Wrote:
> I work at a Diner in fairfax and get paid nearly
> 12 an hour to do Take out orders. I dont expect
> to get tipped. My friend works at outback
> steakhouse, does virtually the same job as I do,
> and gets 2.13.

You mean Outback only pays 2 dollars and 13 cents per hour to the take-out guy?
Is this even legal?

Posted by: Dirk ()
Date: September 20, 2008 08:47AM

I tip good service ONLY. I wouldn't rule out tipping for a carryout, but I would have to see some extraordinary effort on the part of the staff, which is hard to do if all you are doing is bagging up the food.

Waitstaff, etc seem to take it for granted that they get a 15% tip. If you serve me you've got to show me something and move fast, get orders right (you got to communicate with the kitchen) and keep my glasses full. And you should be an attractive female if you wait tables

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: September 20, 2008 02:00PM

is this thread connected to the 'very dirt look from OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE employees when i didnt tip for take-out order' ?

Date: September 20, 2008 02:14PM

hmm Wrote:
> is this thread connected to the 'very dirt look
> from OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE employees when i didnt tip
> for take-out order' ?

Reading the thread reveals an answer to this.

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: September 20, 2008 02:50PM

pgens Wrote:
> hmm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > is this thread connected to the 'very dirt look
> > from OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE employees when i didnt
> tip
> > for take-out order' ?
>
> Reading the thread reveals an answer to this.

and why would i do that? its a repost

Date: September 20, 2008 04:16PM

No, reading THIS thread. The difference between the two has already been discussed.

Posted by: strates ()
Date: September 20, 2008 08:37PM

"but now I tip 10% on the basis that there are people involved in the process (cooks, clean-up crew, dishwashers, etc.) that get a percentage of tips and do the same work whether you're eating there or getting take-out."

I don't know very many restaraunts that require wait staff to share tips with back-house workers. I worked as a line cook for a few years, and the only times a waitress would give me anything was when the customer said it was for the cook. But hey, the waitress's maid 3.25 an hour and I made 8, so I suppose it's only fair.

As for my two cents, I think employers need to pay the employee, not the customer. Customers can reward good service by tipping, Instead of just making sure the waiter gets a fair wage.

As it stands now, all I can do is inspire sub-par waitstaff to quit, by not tipping at all, a inherently negative action which I don't enjoy.

Posted by: Brent ()
Date: September 20, 2008 09:07PM

I thinkg 90% of people give tips because they feel obligated to do so,
regardless of the level of service they received.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 20, 2008 10:33PM

Is this the Famous Dave's that got the drive thru a while back?

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/99666/99666.html

Posted by: fuckwaiters ()
Date: September 23, 2008 02:33PM

I never have, nor ever will tip for takeout. Fuck'm!!

Posted by: Sous ()
Date: September 23, 2008 08:28PM

Dont tip, thats stupid. they did no real work, im served years ago and i never expected a tip. i just handed it to them and walked away i didnt really care

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: September 24, 2008 01:16PM

pgens Wrote:
> I did some online research on other boards to see
> what people think about this, and the clear
> majority says no tip except for situations where
> someone brings it out to your car (a couple of
> bucks) or if a bartender packaged it up or took
> time away from serving drinks to do something for you.

I don't tip for takeout.

I haven't done the thing where they bring it to your car,
but how is that different than a drive-thru? At McDonalds
they bring my order if they were unable to serve it at the
window promptly. (At old-fashioned drive-in places where
they come out on roller skates and serve you, I tip, of course.
Those people are waiting on me no different than inside.)

Regarding bartenders: if the management has decided that
serving take-out is the bartender's job, while advertising
take-out service to the customer, then the onus is not on
the customer to compensate the bartender. They need to
negotiate with the management to either get compensated
or to have someone else hired for providing that service.

I'm a very good tipper, by the way.

(And yes I've worked in restaurants.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2008 01:17PM by Spacy.

Posted by: Andie ()
Date: January 18, 2011 03:25AM

Give me an effing break! You can't tip even a few bucks? Then cook the food yourself and eat at your own home. If McDonalds employees took tips, I would do it! You know what they make an hour? even a buck an order could change their whole week. And to put up with you people. Ya, 20 percent (what you are supposed to tip a server) isn't called for. But these people are still WAITING on you in one form or another.

And HA to the last post. You've worked in restaurants? So you know that bartenders or servers have to waste their time taking your stupid 30 dollar to go order and getting it prepared instead of waiting on people who actually would be tipping them. Why should they even do it? You don't tip at all?? What, did you get fired from McDonalds and now you are bitter or...

The point is...what is the GD problem? These people have to do SOMETHING and get treated like shit all day from people like you. If you can't afford to tip, even 5 dollars,heck, even 2 dollars, you shouldn't be eating out or taking out anything. And that's a general statement about going out to eat. If you can't afford to tip, you probably should stay home and do all the work yourself. And if you can spend 20 dollars on food, 25 really shouldn't be that taxing. Think about it.

I guess I just don't get it. The whole, "why should I tip" thing. What is the big problem? You can't spare a few dollars to show any sort of appreciation? It's more about just being an cheap ass when you don't tip than any sort of logic you may argue your case with. You are taking food home to your family while these employees are working min wage, or barely over min., in order to have food for theirs. I just don't understand NOT wanting to be generous in the slightest bit and why it is so taxing on you to let go of a few bucks. Panhandlers make more money a day than restaurant employees. What are they doing to serve? Do you tip the pizza delivery guy? He is making hourly too and doesn't have to pay his gas money and probably doesn't have anything to do with making your pizza or chinese or whatever. God, people are so selfish and ignorant. How about this answer:

Be a good person. Oh, and don't become a regular somewhere you don't plan on tipping ever. If you don't know that, you're just ignorant or mean.

And no, I don't work in "to go" or any other restaurant position.

Make somebody's day. Leave a buck. Give a shit. Especially if you plan on going back. You will be remembered.

ONCE AGAIN: IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD A TIP, STAY HOME OR MAKE A SACK LUNCH. YOU SHOULD NOT BE SPENDING THE GAS MONEY AND FOOD COST IF YOU ARE TOO POOR TO LEAVE A FEW EXTRA BUCKS.

Posted by: nontipper ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:00AM

Tipping for takeout EXPECTED?

No.

Good grief - tipping is for wait service, not food preparation.

=============

If you want to make a charitable donation for ANYTHING, then it's fine to make it for takeout - on occasion I'll drop change into a jar at the cash register - often drop change into the Ronald McDonald's House container at McD's.

=============

But no one should EVER have any guilt feelings about not tipping for takeout - EVER.

Posted by: mystified by tipping ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:34AM

I tipped 10% at Famous Dave's in Oakton for a very big order but I had to drive all the way back because they forgot some items. I had to explain what was missing and no apologies were offered. PF Changs in Tysons also expects you to tip but I've never tipped at a Chinese restaurant for takeout. I do drop change in the jar at Starbucks and Chipotle because they look like they work non stop. If the person handing me the food was a hot girl I'd probably reconsider.

Posted by: YouAreFunnyButStupid ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:42AM

Andie:

Your premise that I should tip them just because they earn less is ridiculous. There's a reason why those burger flippers are earning less...maybe, that's all they are good for! If they had pursued their Bachelors or Masters, they would have better paying jobs. I don't want to be tipping them for the decisions they took. I don't get tipped NOT because I'm in IT. I don't get tipped because no job that requires high educational qualifications is structured that way.

I pay for the burger and I'm out of that place. I am happy donating my money to Purple Heart or American Red Cross rather than to people who have the ability to change their lives but choose to flip burgers instead.

Posted by: wally pip ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:58AM

I think this tipping shit is getting out of control. Go to Patriot Center couple times a season to watch a ballgame. I usually buy a coke and barbque samwhich. I think its plenty expensive but now they've got fucking tip jars popping up. Had one kid pretty much stick the jar in my face for a tip.

Posted by: history lesson ()
Date: January 18, 2011 07:00AM

TIP = to insure promptness. one would tip before service was rendered to get the extra fast service they we're after. Only recently have we as a society started to tip after a meal.

Posted by: YouAreFunnyButStupid ()
Date: January 18, 2011 07:40AM

history lesson Wrote:
> TIP = to insure promptness. one would tip before
> service was rendered to get the extra fast service
> they we're after. Only recently have we as a
> society started to tip after a meal.

This acronym, along with, To Insure Premier Service, was made after the fact. But I share your sentiments about tipping.

Posted by: whatzit tooya ()
Date: January 18, 2011 07:58AM

I tip most any service worker.

- I tip the guy at the carwash $2-3 and he usually upgrades me for free from the $7 basic to the $15 platinum wash just for that- he says I buy him lunch when he's hungry LOL.

- I would tip the take-out guys but only 10% since I didn't get full service (drinks and all). A minimum of $3 though.

-I tip the ladies at the starbucks or subway making my sandwich with the change + $1 and if they were extra quick and made my drink before anyone else's in a long line, an extra $1-2.

- I even tipped a guy at advance auto parts because he came outside in the pouring rain and helped me put my serpentine belt I just bought on my car so I could make it home ok! He got it on in less than 10 minutes and I would have taken at least an hour to do it! Nice of him! Gave him $40 for helping me!

This is why I enjoy great service at my regular spots- they know I will compensate them a little extra for their hard work and I don't mind- if I can't afford to tip I don't go eat out. :)

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: January 18, 2011 08:20AM

Tip: Don't eat yellow snow.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: January 18, 2011 08:23AM

Tip: Don't write your entire message in the title of the thread. You're getting dirty looks from us too now.

Posted by: Buzzbee ()
Date: January 18, 2011 08:35AM

whatzit tooya:

People like you are to be blamed for the whole tipping business. Basically, what you are doing is an equivalent of "bribing". Sure, tipping is legal, but it's the pitfall of a society where workers will work hard or efficiently only in anticipation of a tip.

As someone wrote earlier, why don't you donate that money to a charity where the less fortunate people are being helped rather than people who have the means but still decide not to complete high school or Bachelors? Think about this with your brains; not with your wallet!

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: January 18, 2011 08:42AM

I love some Famous Dave's, and especially the Oakton location. The food there seems to be better quality than the Chantilly store.

Posted by: Eli Bernstein ()
Date: January 18, 2011 09:02AM

I know a kid who works at a similar restaurant carry out. He nor his colleagues on't expect tips but given that work for minimum wage, you should dig down deep and pass on a few sheckels. And I would finally add that about 60% of his customers tip. And the Canadians? Is there any question?

Posted by: Patriot Center ()
Date: January 18, 2011 11:36AM

The tip jars at the Patriot Center are typically for organizations. For each event, many of the food stands are staffed by local organizations that are trying to raise money for their cause. The wages for the workers and the tips go directly to the organization.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: January 18, 2011 03:09PM

Patriot Center Wrote:
> The tip jars at the Patriot Center are typically
> for organizations. For each event, many of the
> food stands are staffed by local organizations
> that are trying to raise money for their cause.
> The wages for the workers and the tips go directly
> to the organization.

The booths at Patriot and JiffyLube Live are all staffed by volunteers, they're there trying to raise funds for some organization or other. (kid's gymnastics, band, chorus, knights of columbus, etc) They don't get paid anything other than a small percentage of whatever they're booth sells and whatever tips they collect. It's a hell of a racket for the facility...free labor, inflated prices, no payroll/vacation, etc to worry about.

Posted by: Just the tip ()
Date: January 18, 2011 04:30PM

You people claiming to tip carryount must be fucking kidding me.

Seriously?

Why? Do you throw some cash in the tip jar at Starbucks? Dunkin Donuts? Anywhere else where a tip is absolutely not required, and bordering on insulting that it's suggested, but since you're a sheep you do it anyway as to not be looked upon as a cheap bastard?

Wake the fkc up man. Tips came about as a show of appreciation for exemplary service. You rewarded hard work, customer service, whatever. Now, it's expected?

I don't even care if you're making $2 an hour as a waiter/waitress, if you suck...if you're rude...you're getting stiffed. A tip is something you earn...not by being a cunt...

For the record, tipping the kid who brings the food to your car, 100 ft, door to door/your pizza delivery guy who is 30 minutes late/the bitch who hands you your coffee/the chick at the counter who barely speaks english...DO NOT deserve tips! You handing them a couple dollars does not make you look rich/generous/kind hearted/more attractive...It makes you look like a douchebag.

May if you saved some of those dollars you've been handing out, your punk ass would have been able to pay your mortgage.

Posted by: Just the tip ()
Date: January 18, 2011 04:35PM

Andie Wrote:
> Give me an effing break! You can't tip even a few
> bucks? Then cook the food yourself and eat at your
> own home. If McDonalds employees took tips, I
> would do it! You know what they make an hour? even
> a buck an order could change their whole week. And
> to put up with you people. Ya, 20 percent (what
> you are supposed to tip a server) isn't called
> for. But these people are still WAITING on you in
> one form or another.
>
> And HA to the last post. You've worked in
> restaurants? So you know that bartenders or
> servers have to waste their time taking your
> stupid 30 dollar to go order and getting it
> prepared instead of waiting on people who actually
> would be tipping them. Why should they even do it?
> You don't tip at all?? What, did you get fired
> from McDonalds and now you are bitter or...
>
> The point is...what is the GD problem? These
> people have to do SOMETHING and get treated like
> shit all day from people like you. If you can't
> afford to tip, even 5 dollars,heck, even 2
> dollars, you shouldn't be eating out or taking out
> anything. And that's a general statement about
> going out to eat. If you can't afford to tip, you
> probably should stay home and do all the work
> yourself. And if you can spend 20 dollars on food,
> 25 really shouldn't be that taxing. Think about
> it.
>
> I guess I just don't get it. The whole, "why
> should I tip" thing. What is the big problem? You
> can't spare a few dollars to show any sort of
> appreciation? It's more about just being an cheap
> ass when you don't tip than any sort of logic you
> may argue your case with. You are taking food home
> to your family while these employees are working
> min wage, or barely over min., in order to have
> food for theirs. I just don't understand NOT
> wanting to be generous in the slightest bit and
> why it is so taxing on you to let go of a few
> bucks. Panhandlers make more money a day than
> restaurant employees. What are they doing to
> serve? Do you tip the pizza delivery guy? He is
> making hourly too and doesn't have to pay his gas
> money and probably doesn't have anything to do
> with making your pizza or chinese or whatever.
> God, people are so selfish and ignorant. How about
> this answer:
>
> Be a good person. Oh, and don't become a regular
> somewhere you don't plan on tipping ever. If you
> don't know that, you're just ignorant or mean.
>
> And no, I don't work in "to go" or any other
> restaurant position.
>
> Make somebody's day. Leave a buck. Give a shit.
> Especially if you plan on going back. You will be
> remembered.
>
> ONCE AGAIN: IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD A TIP, STAY HOME
> OR MAKE A SACK LUNCH. YOU SHOULD NOT BE SPENDING
> THE GAS MONEY AND FOOD COST IF YOU ARE TOO POOR TO
> LEAVE A FEW EXTRA BUCKS.

Shut the fuck up, Pedro. Here's a thought...earn the fucking tip and you'll get it. Why would someone tip you just for existing?

Posted by: MegaDood ()
Date: January 18, 2011 04:41PM

I once tipped a waitress 50% because she kept showing her cleavage. I knew she was flirting with me because of the way she would touch her hair and laugh. I was out with a bunch of guys so she knew what she was up to. Unfortunately, I had a girlfriend at that time so I couldn't ask ker out. And maybe, she does this with other guys as well to earn such generous tips.

But yes, tipping can be done not just for the food or related-service, but for how the wait staff treats you.

Posted by: I agree with you, Candi. Let's go to McDonalds ;) ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:18PM

Fuck em'. If they 'Expect' me (the customer giving their 'entitled' snotty asses some business) to pay a tip on top of their expensive prices, EVEN WHEN I PICK IT UP MYSELF. Then Fuck em'! They can get it from somebody else, McDonalds or Wendys is a BETTER DEAL, without the attitude. Fuck those restaurants and their Bullshit 'TakeOut' , 'PickUp' , 'WhatEver' , Fuck You! I'm NOT giving you a Tip! Or the business, I don't need your food or Your Attitude!! Now go out of business :)

Posted by: LOL LOL Hardy HAR HAR ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:27PM

TipCheapMofos Wrote:
> You are cheap asses. They package your order,
> check for accuracy, process your bill, etc so they
> do more the walk it from the kitchen to the
> register. 10% is plenty. As far as tipping the
> same no matter what the cost of the booze is, I
> can relate, but anyone buying a 60$ of wine
> shouldn't wince at 4.50 thats just ignorant.

So your theory is, we're supposed to tip them FOR DOING THEIR JOB. Yeah I worked at restaurant a Long time ago, restaurant people think they should get a million dollar Bonus for NOT spitting in your food. Restaurant people are Scum. The managers and the lifers, They ARE SCUM SCUM SCUM TRASH LOSER SHIT

Posted by: Exactly ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:31PM

Frank Wrote:
> Yeah, they do that stuff at the grocery store
> (except carrying from kitchen), drugstore, etc.,
> etc.
>
> No tip. The tip is for sustained good service over
> the course of a meal. One minute of ringing up
> and order and hanging over a bag deserves, oh,
> maybe 25 cents.
>
> Go ahead and tip that if it makes you feel good.
>
> If I get a dirty look, I complain to the manager,
> and tell him if I get another, I expect them to be
> fired. Or I will not be back, and neither will my
> friends (I will share!) or family.

DAMN RIGHT!

Posted by: You JackWagon!!! ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:38PM

pgens Wrote:
> I did some online research on other boards to see
> what people think about this, and the clear
> majority says no tip except for situations where
> someone brings it out to your car (a couple of
> bucks) or if a bartender packaged it up or took
> time away from serving drinks to do something for
> you.
>
> Another suggested the normal tip amount minus
> delivery fees that would have been paid had they
> brought it to your house.
>
> I think I am in agreement with those that ask what
> is the difference between picking up a pizza for
> carryout and taking fast food out. I used to wait
> tables many years ago and don't recall ever
> getting tipped for a carryout order.
>
> My feelings would change if I knew how the person
> at the cash register was paid, and it may depend
> on the place. Let's take an example... at Buffalo
> Wing Factory how is the take-out cashier paid?
> Half-wage for a tipped employee like the waiters,
> or whole-wage rate? If it's whole-wage rate, in
> my opinion they are getting fully paid for their
> job and I don't need to pay them more.

WOW! You should present your case to the Supreme Court. You have some very serious moral conflicting issues.

Posted by: hostess ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:45PM

a lot of take out people do rely on tips to make the majority of their money though, i'm a hostess at a restaurant and when i do take out orders i expect 10%. take out orders are just like waiting tables, except there's no actual going to tables. there are times when i have six or seven orders at once and it takes time to talk on the phone, put in the order, get everything together, make sure it's all bagged correctly and that the order is correct. i also have to run the food out to the car and take the payment. i'm not saying i deserve any more than 10% but its the whole, i'm performing a service for you, you should give me a few bucks. i find it extremely rude, especially after making a complicated order or an extremely larger order, not to tip. i make $2.13 an hour because they are expecting us to give tips, and when you don't tip, that's money i'm losing.

Posted by: Dr. Phil on the Pill ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:47PM

Karin Wrote:
> I worked at a restaruant similar to Famous Dave.
> Worked there for two years
> and I've only gotten a tip for carry-out order 3
> times during the two years.
>
> 99% of the people who come in to pick up their
> orders do not tip. and why should
> they? The 1 percent that did tip were nice
> people and I guess they felt like
> tipping.
>
> Now I work in an office... the Starbucks next to
> us has a big glass tip jar.
> I've never put any money in it. hmmmm.....

Good for you Sweety! If you don't feel like tipping then DON'T. You didn't tell them to work there. They have their job to do just like you do. If they didn't do anything out of the ordinary to show you how Sincerely Special you are, then don't give away YOUR hard earned money to somebody who has no right to expect you to give it to them.

Posted by: ManlyMan ()
Date: January 18, 2011 06:49PM

hostess Wrote:
> a lot of take out people do rely on tips to make
> the majority of their money though, i'm a hostess
> at a restaurant and when i do take out orders i
> expect 10%. take out orders are just like waiting
> tables, except there's no actual going to tables.
> there are times when i have six or seven orders at
> once and it takes time to talk on the phone, put
> in the order, get everything together, make sure
> it's all bagged correctly and that the order is
> correct. i also have to run the food out to the
> car and take the payment. i'm not saying i deserve
> any more than 10% but its the whole, i'm
> performing a service for you, you should give me a
> few bucks. i find it extremely rude, especially
> after making a complicated order or an extremely
> larger order, not to tip. i make $2.13 an hour
> because they are expecting us to give tips, and
> when you don't tip, that's money i'm losing.

Honey, if you give me a lap dance or a blowjob while serving, I'll stuff $50 bills down your bra or g-string. But no way am i tipping you for a job that you get paid for and that involves waiting on multiple patrons!

Boo hoo! Stop complaining, go back to school and get a real job instead, bitch!

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: January 18, 2011 10:39PM

Yes Wrote:
> Yes, I do think that most people tip when they get take-out.

I don't think so.

Posted by: Fester ()
Date: January 18, 2011 10:42PM

ManlyMan: Totally agree, dude!!

Posted by: Ho Stess ()
Date: January 19, 2011 12:08AM

hostess Wrote:
> i'm a hostess at a restaurant and when i do take out orders i
> tables, except there's no actual going to tables. ... i'm

Did your employer tell you that you should "EXPECT" 10% when you were hired? I think it may be illegal to pay a HOSTESS less than minimum wage, given that it is a job for which there should be NO EXPECTATION of receiving tips. Perhaps you should blow the whistle on your employer instead of b!tch!ng here about not getting tips for filling carry out orders...

Posted by: asdfqwerty ()
Date: January 19, 2011 01:35AM

Its their fucking job and its not that hard. The front of house or a designated take-out employee (like the ones at bdubs) who handles these get paid a lot more per hour than the average server who get $2.50/hr. Dont tip them unless they are getting slammed and have to deal with seating customers at the same time.. or you are a regular (ordering takeout at least once per week - if you can afford to do this then you can probably spare 10%. Otherwise don't bother, its not necessary.)

Posted by: wally pip ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:20AM

I did not know that about the workers at Patriot Center. How come they don't advertise the organization they are trying to raise money for? Does Ted Leonsis know about this practice. I believe his recently purchased company has the management contract for the Patriot Center?

Posted by: Steph12345 ()
Date: August 17, 2011 09:06AM

At the Famous Dave's we use for take-out in Minnesota we place our order online and pay in advance online. The order is sent directly to the kitchen - no waitress involved. When we pick up we see all the take-out orders pre-bagged on a shelf next to the register. The dumb teenager at the checkout simply grabs our bag and hands it over. Not anything worthy of a tip in my opinion. They don't check the order half the time and we've learned to check our own bag before leaving because of the obscene amounts of errors they've made. This is pretty much the norm here now with online ordering for take-out at most restaurants. There are no bartenders being dragged away from their work, etc.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: August 17, 2011 09:36AM

If I knew for a fact the employees were getting half-minimum-wage because their management assumes they get tips, then I would tip to give them a break. If not, then they aren't doing any services that fast food places provide so no tip. If Famous Daves employees are being paid min wage or better, their job doesn't include a tipping aspect. Go wait tables or drive if you want a tip.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: August 17, 2011 09:43AM

I looked this up extensively once and have personal experience. The general rule of thumb is that if it is the type of establishment in which you would be served and tip if you eat in, tipping is expected but still optional. If it's a place that specializes in carry-out and doesn't have servers for the people eating in, it's less expected and more likely the exception.

More and more places have a specific person who handles take-out orders (like at Outback). This individual person will still make the super low hourly wage and live off tips. They bag the food and make sure stuff like napkins are in it. They probably expect a tip but it can be a buck or two, 5-10% (less than regular) or whatever because they will handle more orders than would wait staff. However, if someone doesn't tip, there is no reason to be pissed, they should get it all the time and in the long run, the good tips balance out the no tips so they shouldn't have given you a dirty look. If they don't have a take out person, then still the hostess or bartender is taking and completing the order and still going out of their way from their primary duties so a tip in that case is appropriate as well.

Source: I was "to-go boy" at Outback during college.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: August 17, 2011 09:45AM

hostess Wrote:
> a lot of take out people do rely on tips to make
> the majority of their money though, i'm a hostess
> at a restaurant and when i do take out orders i
> tables, except there's no actual going to tables.
> there are times when i have six or seven orders at
> once and it takes time to talk on the phone, put
> in the order, get everything together, make sure
> it's all bagged correctly and that the order is
> correct. i also have to run the food out to the
> car and take the payment. i'm not saying i deserve
> any more than 10% but its the whole, i'm

yeah, but you get tipped out from the servers tips too. That's where your real money comes and not from take-out. It's not "rude", most people just don't know and you shouldn't "expect" it but definitely appreciate those who do.

Posted by: Tipper ()
Date: August 17, 2011 10:36AM

You should tip, after all when you go in to pick up your order they make you wait while they talk on their cell or text one of their friends. They get the order wrong, spill stuff all inside the bag and then give you a dirty look when you don't tip. Tip away.

Posted by: oh hell no ()
Date: August 17, 2011 01:31PM

First off Ill give my hard earned dollar to whoever the hell I feel deserves it.

TIPS are a GRATUITY not an entitlement.

Want more money, stop smoking the dope and get a real job that pays you what you would like to be paid.

Tips apply to services rendered, that is waiting on my table, and serving me food. Delivering my pizza or whatever food. No tip for doing your job. Perhaps we should tip police officers, firefighters, EMT's, Military members, and other that actually get shit done?

Yeah yeah, im an asshole, cheap fuck, old man....whatever. You suck for expecting handout for doing minimal shit.

Posted by: I tip my kids teacher ()
Date: August 17, 2011 01:36PM

Is that a bad thing?

Posted by: Think About IT ()
Date: June 15, 2012 10:05PM

Wow, lot of angry holier than thou people on here, throwing in their opinions...
Chill out and spend a min. to think through your statements people.

A lot of people who work in the service industry are using that as a stepping stone job to pay the bills while they go to college to get their degrees and get the hell out. If your parents paid for your Bachelors or Masters, congratulations, not all of us are so lucky. Trust me the majority of people who work in the service industry are not making a career out of it.

If you have the time to post on here you would also have the time to do a google search on “tip out”. In most places aside from fast food regardless of whether you tip or not the server, bartender etc that is ringing in and getting your to-go order together is required to tip out the kitchen a percent of their sales, which includes your order. The person that you are looking down on who had the misfortune to answer your call just had to pay someone else for taking your order.
The reason restaurants do this is so they don’t have to pay their non tipped staff a higher hourly wage which enables them to give you lower prices… Trust me when I say your meal would be a lot more expensive over the price of a tip in most places if this practice wasn’t used. That same statement applies to tipped staff and prices in most states. Texas for example a servers min. wage is $2.13 per hour and yes that is two dollars and 13 cents an hour and it is legal because the restaurant is claming your tip regardless if you tip or not as part of their staffs minimum wage… Yes this practice is legal and in wide practice.

And while you are ranting at and looking down on all the people who work in the service industry even the lifers, keep in mind that they are working. They are paying taxes, etc. and even if it is not their dream job at least they are being productive members of our society. They could all be homeless and living off welfare. Think about it next time you go out when you go to tip or not after a day working at a job that is so much better than theirs…

Posted by: good guy greg ()
Date: June 15, 2012 10:18PM

This might be out of the ordinary but i tip just about every time i get take out. even when i go to dominoes rather than picking it up i tip the guy handing me the pizza. shit, i tip the outback steakhouse guy that brings my food out for carry out.
because im paranoid as fuck that people mess with my food and if im known as a douchebag then itll be spit city.

Posted by: fucking yuppies ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:56PM

Yes Wrote:
> Yes, I do think that most people tip when they get
> take-out.

Are you shitting me? If that's truw, when did this faggotry start?

Who's earning the tip? The person who took my order over the phone? Or the broad who carries my packaged meal the two feet from the kitchen?

Fuck that noise.

Posted by: Tipper ()
Date: June 16, 2012 12:53AM

Think About IT Wrote:
> Wow, lot of angry holier than thou people on here,
> throwing in their opinions...
> Chill out and spend a min. to think through your
> statements people.
>
> A lot of people who work in the service industry
> are using that as a stepping stone job to pay the
> bills while they go to college to get their
> degrees and get the hell out. If your parents
> paid for your Bachelors or Masters,
> congratulations, not all of us are so lucky. Trust
> me the majority of people who work in the service
> industry are not making a career out of it.
>
> If you have the time to post on here you would
> also have the time to do a google search on “tip
> out”. In most places aside from fast food
> regardless of whether you tip or not the server,
> bartender etc that is ringing in and getting your
> to-go order together is required to tip out the
> kitchen a percent of their sales, which includes
> your order. The person that you are looking down
> on who had the misfortune to answer your call just
> had to pay someone else for taking your order.
> The reason restaurants do this is so they don’t
> have to pay their non tipped staff a higher hourly
> wage which enables them to give you lower
> prices… Trust me when I say your meal would be
> a lot more expensive over the price of a tip in
> most places if this practice wasn’t used. That
> same statement applies to tipped staff and prices
> in most states. Texas for example a servers min.
> wage is $2.13 per hour and yes that is two dollars
> and 13 cents an hour and it is legal because the
> restaurant is claming your tip regardless if you
> tip or not as part of their staffs minimum wage…
> Yes this practice is legal and in wide practice.
>
>

BS. I worked in lots of places both private and chains, high-end and crank-em-throughs and never were we required to "tip out" the kitchen. People prepping, cooking, and washing dishes, etc., all were paid by the house directly. Where you have people busing tables or helping with service, then depending on the place they'd get some set amount or split a pot of tips from the wait staff. If somebody helps you out, then sure. But no bartender or waiter is going to work their ass off every night to give up half of their tips to pay for the fricking kitchen staff. lol You gotta be kidding. If you did, then you were a sucker and getting played by whoever was managing the place. The only cases that I can recall that kind of stuff happening was at some of the big tourist places at the beach where they just abused the kids working there because they knew that they could get away with it.

If they can't run the place competitively without counting on donations for their cooks and kitchen folks then they shouldn't be in business. It wasn't done to keep prices low, it was done to minimize their overhead costs and put more money in the owner's pockets.

No, you don't have to tip for take out. And that's coming from someone who worked in kitchens and as a waiter and everything in between. If you want to be nice and do it then great, tip them well. But you shouldn't feel obligated to and nobody's living off of whatever petty-ass split they get from a take-out window jar.

Posted by: CFD6b ()
Date: June 16, 2012 01:49AM

I never ever tip for take-out. What a strange idea!

I tip extremely well (15-25%) for table service.

I tip 10-20% for delivery.

it's a 4 yr old thread but why not bump it up LoLz
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 16, 2012 07:52AM

ha ha h ah ha! you do know that whoever gave O.P. that dirty look not only no longer works at Famous Daves..........but there's prolly a VERY good chance that the asshole who gave the nasty look is in jail.

As for tipping - If I came in your GotDamn store, you better treat me like you want me back or else I leave and fuck you. If I'm paying you money that I've earned with my own two hands you are to give me services that you have OFFERED for that fee. I dont have to tip you worth shit. Why should I reward you FOR DOING YOUR FUCKING JOB!?!?!!? You dont like your job, get a new one - Dont blame me cause you arent comfortable with your pay? And you can give me attitude all you want all you are going to do at the end of it is reach inside yr cash register and give me back my money. LoLz.

Tips are for special services and occasions, and select occupations. And TAKE-OUT sure as shit aint one of them.........

Posted by: Arlington Blvd ()
Date: June 16, 2012 08:09AM

that post can't be from the real gordon blvd can it? the advocate for the downtrodden
these poor suckers work shit jobs with probably little real future and you can't stick a crowbar in your pocket and throw them a few pence

this can't be the real groton blvd

Re: it's a 4 yr old thread but why not bump it up LoLz
Posted by: 2concerned ()
Date: June 16, 2012 10:00AM

That depends upon how you define "real", I think.

Posted by: Just Say No ()
Date: June 16, 2012 11:35AM

Having been a line cook and a waiter in college, I tip above average, and I have NEVER tipped for take-out, and NEVER will. If I put on pants and drive my ass to your restuarant to pick up my food, I have done all the work.

Posted by: Blurp ()
Date: June 16, 2012 03:06PM

Yes, give them a tip for contributing to your future heart attack. Seriously, it is fast food. One guy takes out a tray of burgers, somebody puts it on a bun, and someone else gives it to you. Why would you tip the person that just hands you the food? It basically isn't even real food.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The horse jumped over the fucking fence." - Kurt Vonnegut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2012 03:08PM by Blurp.

Posted by: Blurp ()
Date: June 16, 2012 03:09PM

Oops.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The horse jumped over the fucking fence." - Kurt Vonnegut

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2012 03:10PM by Blurp.

Posted by: rob ()
Date: July 22, 2014 01:00PM

Does anyone know if famous Dave pays there employees weekly or bi weekly paychecks?

Posted by: toinsurepromptness ()
Date: July 22, 2014 01:46PM

I do not tip people for operating a cash register. Period. If tipping is required of cashiers why dont we tip everyone at the register? Groceries, drug store, you could tip the waiter then tip the cashier at a restaurant as well. What about bank tellers should you tip them? Withdraw ten thousand dollars and tip them two thousand dollars for helping you? I dont think so.

Tips are for servers round here. Bring stuff to me when I demand it, clean up afterwords be nice to me and I tip - ring up an order no way.

Posted by: GRRR ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:40AM

they are usually young kids working the counter, toss them a couple of bucks so they can have a few beers.

Posted by: Cornholiosopher ()
Date: July 23, 2014 09:18AM

This country has gotten way the fuck out of hand when it comes to both tipping and handing out money to beggars.

Posted by: what about ()
Date: July 27, 2014 08:29PM

are you supposed to tip at Dairy Queen?

how about when you take out at five guys?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.