HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Legal Deer Hunting in Fairfax City?
Posted by: Deerman ()
Date: June 10, 2013 09:49AM

Legal Deer Hunting in Fairfax City?
At its meeting this week, the City Council will discuss possibly allowing legal deer hunting with bows and arrows in certain areas to help control the deer population.
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/articles/legal-deer-hunting-in-fairfax-city

Deer hunting....in Fairfax City?

During a work session this Tuesday night, the City Council and Mayor will discuss the possibility of allowing limited deer hunting by bow and arrow on large tracts of land within the City, in an effort to help tame the city's overabundant deer population.

Fairfax City Mayor Scott Silverthorne told Patch, the idea came to the City as a request, specifically from the Army-Navy Country Club.

"There's no question we have a deer problem throughout the city, so the request is basically to allow, by permit, deer hunting," he explained. "It's really more of a wildlife management issue, than a hunting issue."

Mayor Silverthorne said, he realizes there are quite a few issues to take into consideration before the Council makes a decision, such as animal cruelty and moral questions related to hunting, how to enforce the rules, and whether it makes sense considering that, once the deer population is lessened and the hunting stops, it could likely just go back up again down the road.

"I have a lot of questions and a lot of concerns I need to get comfortable with before I can be supportive of this," he said.

As far as the moral questions go, Silverthorne said, his main concern is that "kills aren't guaranteed" as much with bows and arrows as they are with other means of hunting.

"So, in other words, the animals could suffer," he said.

In particular, he also wants to know that the City has thoroughly considered all other options before he lends his support to this one.

"Some people think [there are no other options], and I am hard-pressed to believe that," he said.

Therefore, at this week's work session to discuss the matter, Silverthorne said he plans to be "very vocal" in expressing his concerns and asking all of his questions.

In a staff report prepared by City Manager Bob Sisson, Sisson indicated that, currently, more than 40 counties, cities and towns in the Commonwealth of Virginia "allow some form of deer hunting to control populations in urban and suburban areas where other methods have proven ineffective or cost prohibitive."

"[Virginia code] permits localities to regulate hunting within their boundaries, but the City previously has not done so," Sisson said.

Arguing for the passage of a resolution to allow limited deer hunting by bow and arrow in Fairfax City, Sisson said, "Uncontrolled deer populations in areas without natural deer predators result in overpopulation, starvation, significant damage to trees and shrubs, and increased car/deer collisions, resulting in death/injury to vehicle occupants and deer."

Sisson's staff report includes a sample resolution he recommends the City adopt, with certain provisions, including, among others:

•Managed deer hunts are permitted only on private property of 25 acres or more (such as the Army-Navy Country Club, and only a few other areas within Fairfax City)
•The property owner must have a valid "Kill Permit," issued by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

•Only archery equipment may be used for deer hunting.
•Discharge of an arrow is only permitted to take a deer. No arrow shall be discharged toward any animal other than a deer.

•Deer hunting is not permitted in any City park or on City-owned property without the express written permission of the City Manager.

•At least seven days prior to each and every day on which a managed hunt will be conducted, the property owner shall place warning notices at every entrance to the property and at intervals of no less than 50 yards apart on every adjacent property line. The notices shall be posted continuously for the seven days prior to, and through the conclusion of, the hunt.

•Every property owner who desires to conduct a managed deer hunt must notify the City Manager in writing of the dates and times of the proposed hunt(s) and shall submit: A copy of a valid Kill Permit for the property; a property map or plat showing the locations of fixed hunting stands; and a copy of the notices to be posted on the property.

•The City Manager shall then provide a written response approving or denying the request, and may impose additional safety restrictions specific to the requested property.

This matter will be discussed during the City Council's work session, which follows the Council's regularly-scheduled meeting, this Tuesday night, June 11, beginning at 7 p.m., in the Council Chambers in Old Town Hall, 10455 Armstrong St. in Fairfax City. Members of the public are invited to attend.

A deer was spotted running through residential neighborhoods near Fort and Eureka on Saturday before eventually running south toward Biddle. At one time, the buck was spotted on Portofino's property.Credit Portofino
Attachments:
606513ad13f0e54b8e922981b253de7d.jpg
88149d7018a01856f83bfde4e26744e9.jpg
15832bcbe46d9eb06bb6390f7ee53763.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Legal Deer Hunting in Fairfax City?
Posted by: Concerned Parents ()
Date: June 10, 2013 10:16AM

I'm not sure I like the idea of hunters in that area, especially if I were a commuter there.

Posted by: jeanne Ryan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 10:25AM

Much has been written about lyme disease caused by deer tick, however I don't see it mention in this article of deer hunting.I have seen up to seven deer in my back yard. I no longer allow my grand children to play there, since I already have a grand child sick with lyme from where???Please print comments of families with lyme disease.

Posted by: DYJ ()
Date: June 10, 2013 11:10AM

I'm glad they're willing to take positive steps to control the deer. Don't worry about Bambi. I killed him in Front Royal years ago.

Posted by: adfadfadf ()
Date: June 10, 2013 12:22PM

DYJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad they're willing to take positive steps to
> control the deer. Don't worry about Bambi. I
> killed him in Front Royal years ago.

Bambi was a girl.

Posted by: Vehicular hunting ()
Date: June 10, 2013 12:25PM

Its legal to hit them with your car, give that a try.

Posted by: roy disney ()
Date: June 10, 2013 03:40PM

adfadfadf Wrote:
> DYJ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm glad they're willing to take positive steps
> to
> > control the deer. Don't worry about Bambi. I
> > killed him in Front Royal years ago.
>
> Bambi was a girl.

Nope Bambi was a boy.

Posted by: DYJ ()
Date: June 10, 2013 03:43PM

roy disney Wrote:
> adfadfadf Wrote:
> -----
> > DYJ Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I'm glad they're willing to take positive
> steps
> > to
> > > control the deer. Don't worry about Bambi. I
> > > killed him in Front Royal years ago.
> >
> > Bambi was a girl.
>
>
> Nope Bambi was a boy.

City dwellers never cease to amaze me. Can't tell a buck from a doe.

Posted by: here2help ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:31PM

Jeanne Ryan and anyone else dealing with over-abundance of deer on their property: I have been legally bowhunting in Fairfax County for over 10 years, send me a message and I will answer any questions you may have. I am always looking for new places to bowhunt and can help you and your family/friends out. Thanks!

Posted by: YHuEj ()
Date: June 10, 2013 11:05PM

here2help Wrote:
> Jeanne Ryan and anyone else dealing with
> over-abundance of deer on their property: I have
> been legally bowhunting in Fairfax County for over
> 10 years, send me a message and I will answer any
> questions you may have. I am always looking for
> new places to bowhunt and can help you and your
> family/friends out. Thanks!

our a huge pussy who tries to be masculine by killing animals that do not even know you are around with a machine that throws a metal object at an unnatural speed.

Go fuck yourself and I hope you have an accident out there - maybe another hunter will shoot you.

Keep your gay hunting and truck driving small penis complex to yourself.

And there is no problem with the deer population. It is a people population problem - we have built over all of their land. And we complain about deers in the streets, of course, they have no where else to go.

The "starvation" and "problem" with the deer population is a myth.

I will prove it right now -

If there were those problems, then anywhere deer live in the wild would see the same problems....they do not. You do not see starving deer in the wilds of our country, so it is a myth.

The deer INCONVENIENCE us, so we make up shit to kill them.

Posted by: Thumper ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:51AM

DYJ Wrote:
> I'm glad they're willing to take positive steps to
> control the deer. Don't worry about Bambi. I
> killed him in Front Royal years ago.

No, you killed his mom, and now's he back to get his revenge...
Attachments:
funny-deer-1.jpg

Posted by: Tom Dyer ()
Date: June 12, 2013 05:59AM

The concept of a humane kill being a concern for whether or not to allow a hunt is foulish to me. Does anyone consider how a animal dies in nature? They never go to sleep at night and wake up in happy clover fields surounded by all their friends. If they are lucky enough to live to old age then they usually are unable to get enough food to survive the winter and get sick and weak. At this point they are usally found by a predator and depending on their strength chased caught and killed. Sometimes not killed before the predator starts to eat them.

Nature is a wonderful and beautiful thing but it isn't the happy place most anti-hunters would like to think it is. Everyday is about survival wether it is food, security, finding a good place to ride out a storm, or get some sleep without being eaten. Personally, I would rather be shot than the natural options.

Posted by: Spencer ()
Date: June 12, 2013 06:31AM

I could give many reasons why I'm opposed to deer hunting with bow, or gun, in Fairfax City. But, since deer cannot speak for themselves and I reside in the city, vote, and pay taxes, allow me to speak for them.

Dear City Council,
We, the deer and wildlife living in Fairfax, ask you, on behalf of our fathers, mothers, childern, and grandchildern, to leave us (e.g., deer, fox, squirrels, raccoons, opposums, mice, chipmunks, and other wildlife) in peace, to fend for ourselves, and live in your fine City undisturbed. After all, we were put here by the Creator, and have a right to live our lives, and raise our families, just as humans do.

We did not mean to offend City residents by our presence, nor did we wish to upset members of the Army-Navy Country Club (ANC). If any of our relatives caused damage or frightened ANC members, please accept our humblest apologies and ask them for our forgiveness.

The rumor of bow hunting the deer population, traveled fast through our community. We understand the issue will be discussed at your Council meeting. Our Council, the White-Tailed Deer and Wildlife Council, met and voted to ask you, on behalf of our peace-loving relatives, to disapprove any measure that would threaten us. Can you imagine going to Giant, Safeway, or Whole Foods for groceries, and having to pass bow hunters on every street corner? Then, you can imagine how we would feel going to feed each morning or evening. Please vote against this terrible proposal!
Attachments:
tumblr_marnn4RgfM1ro6a15o1_500.jpg

Posted by: Liberal Logic 103 ()
Date: June 19, 2013 01:16PM

And yet you keep eating hamburgers dont you

Posted by: adfasdfsdf ()
Date: June 19, 2013 01:16PM

Liberal Logic 103 Wrote:
> And yet you keep eating hamburgers dont you

Oh so good!

Posted by: Deer Rambo ()
Date: June 20, 2013 12:03AM

Hahhahahaha I hope this happens...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=khKrd1RNy2U
Attachments:
hqdefault.jpg

Posted by: eagle64 ()
Date: June 20, 2013 01:36AM

I live in Centreville not far from Pamela Drive where at least in the past there has been a high incidence of Lyme disease, due to its close proximity to the Cub Run Stream Valley Park (this was reported in a number of news articles in the past several years) and potentially from the uncontrolled deer population. There are many areas of the park where you can see a considerable distance because the deer have completely browsed every bit of plant material below about five feet. It seems that the bowhunting program sponsored by the Park Service has helped some as I've seen fewer deer in the past year or so. I was bitten twice on my hand on May 30 by a deer tick---I should know because I found the little bastard crawling on my hand after I felt an itch there. Today I mentioned this to my doctor while in for a checkup and he said that one out of 200 deer ticks will carry the Lyme disease, and that although I have noticed no symptoms yet, I should be on lookout as it takes at least a month for symptoms to show. I wholeheartedly support any efforts in Fairfax County to curb the deer population.

Posted by: To be clear ()
Date: April 22, 2019 09:15AM

adfadfadf Wrote:
> DYJ Wrote:
> -----
> > I'm glad they're willing to take positive steps
> to
> > control the deer. Don't worry about Bambi. I
> > killed him in Front Royal years ago.
>
> Bambi was a girl.

Nope, a Tranny........

Posted by: just saying... ()
Date: April 22, 2019 12:53PM

For Disney had made that movie about a cow, tree huggers wouldn't be jumping up and down and throwing themselves on the ground about trying to maintain a heathy population of deer around here.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.