HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Wounded Alexandria police officer Laboy suing Alexandria Yellow Cab Inc.
Posted by: Elliott Ness ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:20AM

Peter Laboy sues Alexandria Yellow Cab Inc.
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/06/peter-laboy-sues-alexandria-yellow-cab-inc--89607.html

Wounded Alexandria police officer Peter Laboy is suing Alexandria Yellow Cab Inc., for negligence, claiming that the cab company didn’t thoroughly investigate the background of the driver accused of shooting Laboy.

The lawsuit, filed Monday, also claims that Alexandria Yellow Cab Inc. should have known the cabdriver, Kashif Bashir, posed a threat to the public.

The lawsuit is asking for $10 million.

The suit says the cab company “failed to adequately monitor and supervise Bashir in his use of Defendant’s taxicabs after hiring him.”
Bashir shot and wounded Laboy in the head on Feb. 27 while Laboy was on duty. Laboy suffered a massive injury but is recovering.

A grand jury indicted Kashif Bashir, 27, on charges of aggravated malicious wounding, attempted capital murder of a law enforcement officer and two counts of using a firearm during a felony.
Attachments:
ax0306-617_Laboy_t670.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wounded Alexandria police officer Laboy suing Alexandria Yellow Cab Inc.
Posted by: Eliott Ness ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:21AM

The alleged shooter Kashif Bashir
Attachments:
2509154_G.jpg

Posted by: thanks INS ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:58AM

Just here for a better life....and to destroy ours, lets celebrate

Posted by: employee? ()
Date: June 04, 2013 09:08AM

I thought cab drivers were not hired by the cab company, but lessors of the cabs themselves from the company. They pay a certain amount to "rent" the cab each shift, and to carry insurance...if they use their own vehicle, they rent the meter and pay for insurance and to be able to take dispatched calls. Not 100% percent sure of this, but that's what I thought. Whatever, the insurance company should be liable.....shame VA caps awards at a million bucks.....

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: June 04, 2013 09:25AM

All cabbies have to pass a criminal background to get their hack license.

Unless Yellow Cab missed something glaring or didn't follow procedure, I dunno what they are liable for.

I feel really bad for the cop and think the shooters a piece of shit though.

Posted by: Driver Ed ()
Date: June 04, 2013 10:02AM

Of course, they could hire Amanda Perry. She knows about reckless driving and falsified records, doesn't she?

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: June 04, 2013 11:04AM

It is a money grab. The lawyer is going after the cab company not because they clearly did something wrong, but because the cab company is the only one connected to the alleged shooter with money.

Posted by: Yeppers ()
Date: June 04, 2013 12:35PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a money grab. The lawyer is going after the
> cab company not because they clearly did something
> wrong, but because the cab company is the only one
> connected to the alleged shooter with money.

BINGO!

Posted by: J Cochran ()
Date: June 04, 2013 01:56PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> It is a money grab. The lawyer is going after the
> cab company not because they clearly did something
> wrong, but because the cab company is the only one
> connected to the alleged shooter with money.

So in otherwords the cop is getting to do what everybody else does to cops,seems pretty fair

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 04, 2013 02:00PM

J Cochran Wrote:

>
>
> So in otherwords the cop is getting to do what
> everybody else does to cops,seems pretty fair

makes the ENTIRE force look kinda shitty, though......................

Posted by: Boston didnt teach us much ()
Date: June 04, 2013 05:26PM

So I guess because you are a cop and someone totally fucks you and your family's life up forever because they hire some filthy thug to drive people in a cab, they shouldn't be sued, I don't think so. You go Pete, I would love to be on the jury and hear, "they are here for a better life and only take jobs Americans don't want to do",,,,bullshit

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 04, 2013 05:34PM

J Cochran Wrote:
> Bill.N. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It is a money grab. The lawyer is going after
> the
> > cab company not because they clearly did
> something
> > wrong, but because the cab company is the only
> one
> > connected to the alleged shooter with money.
>
>
> So in otherwords the cop is getting to do what
> everybody else does to cops,seems pretty fair

He should be above lawsuits though. Not a good example for fellow police officers.

Posted by: Mr Greenberg ()
Date: June 04, 2013 05:39PM

eesh Wrote:
> J Cochran Wrote:
> -----
> > Bill.N. Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > It is a money grab. The lawyer is going
> after
> > the
> > > cab company not because they clearly did
> > something
> > > wrong, but because the cab company is the
> only
> > one
> > > connected to the alleged shooter with money.
> >
> >
> > So in otherwords the cop is getting to do what
> > everybody else does to cops,seems pretty fair
>
>
> He should be above lawsuits though. Not a good
> example for fellow police officers.

Maybe if someone peed in his coffee that might apply, not catching a 9 mm round in the head because some lazy ass didn't do his job. And what do you mean above lawsuits?

Date: June 04, 2013 06:21PM

Mr Greenberg Wrote:

>
>
> Maybe if someone peed in his coffee that might
> apply, not catching a 9 mm round in the head
> because some lazy ass didn't do his job. And what
> do you mean above lawsuits?

what he means is that I dont need the hassle of wondering IF I should call 911 cause I dont want to be sued if something happens to the cop that comes to help out..................................and now, for the first time in my life, that's now a real possibility, I guess

so now, if someone's robbing you, and you call 911, and a cop comes and slips on YOUR PROPERTY while doing his job, guess who's on the hook for it?

Posted by: get paid ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:12PM

@gordonblvd, you are trying to twist things and make a very stupid point. the cop isnt going to sue you for calling 911 and something happens when he gets there. unless your dumb ass shoots him, then you should be sued. if you think his dept is going to completely take care of him because it happened on duty, your sorely mistaken. seeing that he will never be a cop again and will be forced to retire within a year of the shooting if he doesnt return to full duty, he will only get 66 2/3 disablility, of what his annual salary is. that amount totally depends on how many years you have on, and if you are on less than 5 years, you wont get much of anything. and by the way, if he made an extra 10k a year in overtime, that isnt included either. i dont blame him for sueing the cab company, because maybe they shouldnt hire shady people to work for them.

by the way, that is the dumbest comment that if your getting robbed and call 911..... your just a complete douche for even thinking that. he is just trying to take care of his family since he will no longer be able to do the job he has been trained to do.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:13PM

You can sue a ham sandwich..............

Posted by: Liberal Logic 09 ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:20PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:

> what he means is that I dont need the hassle of
> wondering IF I should call 911 cause I dont want
> to be sued if something happens to the cop that
> comes to help
> out..................................and now, for
> the first time in my life, that's now a real
> possibility, I guess
>
> so now, if someone's robbing you, and you call
> 911, and a cop comes and slips on YOUR PROPERTY
> while doing his job, guess who's on the hook for
> it?

Fortunately for you you wont have to worry about it. With no way to defend yourself youd likely be dead before they got there anyway

Posted by: Loner ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:21PM

I have no use for the police. My family and I stay on our 12 acres and work on our shooting right on property. 27 years and we've never had any problems. Folks that are looking to harm people know not to step on my property.

Posted by: Spam in the Can ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:22PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> You can sue a ham sandwich..............

Intelligent response, douche bag.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: June 04, 2013 08:04PM

Spam in the Can Wrote:
> Stabitha Wrote:
> -----
> > You can sue a ham sandwich..............
>
>
> Intelligent response, douche bag.

I knew it would be too profound for some of the slower contestants. Let me know if you need help with "profound" too!

Posted by: Pro founded ()
Date: June 04, 2013 08:09PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> Spam in the Can Wrote:
> -----
> > Stabitha Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > You can sue a ham sandwich..............
> >
> >
> > Intelligent response, douche bag.
>
> I knew it would be too profound for some of the
> slower contestants. Let me know if you need help
> with "profound" too!

"profound" found a pro? Isn't that what you search for on Craig's List?

Date: June 04, 2013 08:18PM

@09 - still in that swimming pool, I see..........

@get paid - we call it a slippery slope. If cop getting injured in line of duty can sue a business in this regard, then how are you telling me they cant sue a business in another.

yeah, it's a stupid example I gave - but it's just as stupid as the reality of this lawsuit - Cop is suing a business for hiring someone - that's fucking LUDICROUS and you know it. Cab Company didnt hire this guy to hurt someone and cab company damn sure wasnt looking for this shit to happen.

Cop suing this business (INSTEAD of the person who CHOOSE to hurt him) make all Alex PD look like typical lawsuit-hungry moneygrubber (oh, I slipped at the Dulles Towne hurt my pinky -let's sue Ted for 10 million)

Posted by: Between the ears ()
Date: June 04, 2013 08:28PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @09 - still in that swimming pool, I
> see..........
>
> @get paid - we call it a slippery slope. If cop
> getting injured in line of duty can sue a business
> in this regard, then how are you telling me they
> cant sue a business in another.
>
>
> yeah, it's a stupid example I gave - but it's just
> as stupid as the reality of this lawsuit - Cop is
> suing a business for hiring someone - that's
> fucking LUDICROUS and you know it. Cab Company
> didnt hire this guy to hurt someone and cab
> company damn sure wasnt looking for this shit to
> happen.
>
> Cop suing this business (INSTEAD of the person who
> CHOOSE to hurt him) make all Alex PD look like
> typical lawsuit-hungry moneygrubber (oh, I slipped
> at the Dulles Towne hurt my pinky -let's sue Ted
> for 10 million)

You sure is one smart MILF. And dead on.
A pleasure to read your posts.

Posted by: Neighborhood Watch ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:19AM

Laboy Files $10M Suit Against Alexandria Yellow Cab
Alexandria Police Officer Peter Laboy is alleging Alexandria Yellow Cab was negligent in the hiring and supervision of its drivers. Driver Kashif Bashir is accused of shooting Laboy in the head.
http://oldtownalexandria.patch.com/articles/police-officer-peter-laboy-files-10m-suit-against-alexandria-yellow-cab

Peter Laboy, the Alexandria police officer who was shot in the head Feb. 27 while responding to an incident involving an Alexandria Yellow Cab driver, filed civil suit Monday alleging the taxi company was negligent in the hiring and supervision of its drivers and that such negligence contributed to the shooting of a police officer.

The suit is claiming $10 million in compensatory damages—$5 million for one count of negligent hiring and retention and $5 million for one count of negligent entrustment. The complaint cites damages of lost wages, medical fees and "compensation for mental anguish, pain and suffering."

Laboy’s lawyers are demanding a jury trial.

The suit claims Alexandria Yellow Cab failed to perform any type of background screening prior to hiring Kashif Bashir, the suspect in Laboy’s shooting. It also claims that the company failed to supervise and monitor Bashir in the four years he worked with the company.

According to the complaint, Alexandria Yellow Cab made a vehicle available to Bashir on the day Laboy was shot "for his unsupervised and unrestricted use."

Following his arrest, authorities found a loaded Sig Sauer P250 semi-automatic handgun with 13 rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber inside Bashir's Yellow Cab vehicle, according to the complaint. There were also six cans of beer, some of which were empty.

According to the complaint:

"[Alexandria Yellow Cab] through its reckless, wanton, and grossly negligent hiring, entrustment and oversight of Bashir, provided Bashir with the means and instrumentality of Bashir’s crime, without which the crime would not have occurred."

Bashir, a Woodbridge resident, has been convicted on 17 charges in Fairfax County, including a 2011 charge for tampering with a vehicle and several traffic violations. Bashir was convicted of speeding three times in the past decade, along with failure to obey a traffic signal in four instances, including an offense earlier in 2013.

• See: Suspect in Alexandria Police Shooting Has Long History of Traffic Violations, Other Charges

Other charges against Bashir have been dismissed in recent years, including a violation for good behavior on a misdemeanor offense and illegal sale of unapproved equipment. A charge of misdemeanor assault in 2011 was not prosecuted, according to Fairfax County Court records.

Alexandria police said Bashir had an active license to drive a taxicab despite his numerous violations. Alexandria’s hack inspector, an officer in the Alexandria Police Department, is responsible for addressing the licensing of drivers every two years.

• See: Police: Suspect in Alexandria Police Shooting Underwent Background Check

"The hack inspector is just a single layer of initial oversight—just a minimal level of review." said David Martin, an Atlanta-based attorney representing Laboy. "Yellow Cab sees these drivers on a day-to-day basis. That's where the complaints come in that where any concerning trends can be seen. The company is responsible for having that information at its finger tips."

The suit claims Alexandria Yellow Cab had a duty to ensure that its drivers “are responsible, law-abiding and safe, through appropriate background checks and ongoing oversight and monitoring,” Martin wrote in a message. “The company failed to do this, with catastrophic consequences.”

Alexandria Yellow Cab is defined as a common carrier in Virginia, something Martin said raises issues of public trust in this incident.

The suit also claims the company regularly fails to conduct adequate background investigations with all of its drivers and fails to supervise its drivers in a manner to maintain public safety.

"They are unleashing this army of drivers that leaves the community vulnerable," he said.

Alexandria Yellow Cab did not immediately return a request for comment Monday.

Laboy, 45, of Alexandria, was responding to a look out from the department for a yellow cab minivan for a minor offense on Feb. 27 when he was shot in the head.

Soon after Laboy approached the cab, the Department of Emergency Communications began receiving emergency calls reporting an officer down.

Laboy was flown to Medstar Washington Hospital Center from the fields outside of Lyles-Crouch Traditional Academy and had several hours of immediate surgery.

The driver of the cab fled the scene at Wilkes and St. Asaph streets when a patrol officer spotted the vehicle going south on Washington Street into Fairfax County.

A police chase ensued and Fairfax County Police took over the situation when the cab entered their jurisdiction. The cab crashed off Fort Hunt Road and Bashir was arrested.

Laboy was released from the hospital in late April and has undergone multiple surgeries and intense therapy. According to the complaint, Laboy suffered severe and permanent debilitating injuries and life-long pain and suffering because of the injury.

Laboy's wife spoke with reporters last month about his recovery and his desire to return to the police department.

• See: Wife of Officer Peter Laboy: 'It Was Not His Time to Go'

Bashir, 27, is facing one count of attempted capital murder of a law enforcement officer, one count of aggravated malicious wounding and two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

On May 24, it was announced Bashir will face a mental competency hearing. Bashir's defense attorneys said he suffers from auditory hallucinations and believes that people involved in his case are speaking to him telepathically. Bashir is currently being evaluated for a 45-day period to determine if he is fit to stand trial.

The vehicle reportedly driven by shooting suspect Kashif Bashir crashed near the Belle Haven neighborhood in Fairfax County following a police chase Feb. 27, 2013.Credit Jessie Biele
Attachments:
fcbcca1f5c54db1ac57776e0e72902d.jpg

Posted by: My understanding ()
Date: June 10, 2013 12:59PM

I read about this accident when it occured. From what I remember the cab company and the City of Alexandria makes all drivers go through a background check before getting hired. Secondly the cabbie was not on duty when this happened. The cop was injured in the line of duty. While I sympathize with him for his pain and suffering when he took the job he knew there would be some risk to it. If the force isn't going to cover his bills or pay him a decent salary that's an issue for his union. 10 million dollars is excessive. Since the cabbie passed the City's background check shouldn't he sue them too? Perhaps he signed something as a cop saying he wouldn't do that. What if the shooter was a pizza delivery guy would the cop sue Dominoes? I appreciate what cops and military do for me, my family and our freedom everyday but this is wrong.

Posted by: muslimes ()
Date: June 10, 2013 01:15PM

thanks INS Wrote:
> Just here for a better life....and to destroy
> ours, lets celebrate

THAT'S WHAT DIVERSITY IS ALL ABOUT!!!! WELCOME TO AMERICA!!!!! WE FUCKED OURSELVES WITH OUR IMMIGRATION POLICY!!!

IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE FOLKS!!!!

Posted by: a great country ()
Date: June 10, 2013 01:22PM

I guess we will let a jury decide. They can also award more. I wouldnt be surprised if that didnt happen. No, its not a union issue and no cops dont sign anything that you allude to, they have the same rights a everyone else. If I were the cab company I would start falsifying some employment records or bring a big checkbook to court.

Posted by: asdfsdds ()
Date: June 10, 2013 01:49PM

Not saying that Laboy shouldn't be compensated for everything he's gone through, but it's not clear to me from reading the article that a more thorough background check of Bashir would've revealed anything that would've hinted at what happened earlier this year and thus constituted negligence in the hiring/supervising process.

Rather, my guess is that Bashir has no appreciable assets, so Laboy is going after Yellow Cab on the advice of his attorney and pursuing a jury trial in Alexandria is a smart move.

"They are unleashing this army of drivers that leaves the community vulnerable," <--This statement is so hyperbolic it could be applied to virtually any employer, ever. Sometimes these things are not foreseeable.

Taxi Driver Declared Incompetent to Stand Trial
Posted by: Elliott Ness ()
Date: July 15, 2013 08:50AM

Taxi Driver Declared Incompetent to Stand Trial

An Alexandria Circuit Court judge has found Kashif Bashir not competent to stand trial for allegedly shooting officer Peter Laboy.
http://oldtownalexandria.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/taxi-driver-declared-incompetent-to-stand-trial

The taxi driver charged with shooting Alexandria police officer Peter Laboy has been found incompetent to stand trial, according to a Thursday ruling by an Alexandria Circuit Court judge.

Alleged shooter Kashif Bashir, 27, will undergo mental health treatment.

He is accused of shooting Laboy in the head Feb. 27 when the officer pulled over the Alexandria Yellow Cab Bashir was driving near Lyles-Crouch Traditional Academy in Old Town.

Laboy has undergone several surgeries and is back in his Alexandria home undergoing additional therapy.

Bashir, of Woodbridge, Va., suffers from auditory hallucinations and other mental health issues, according to his defense attorneys, NBC Washington reported.

Bashir is facing one count of attempted capital murder of a law enforcement officer, one count of aggravated malicious wounding and two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

A review of the case has been set for Jan. 9, 2014.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.