HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: Kind of Scared of Bugs ()
Date: June 03, 2013 12:50PM

When running on some of the trails around here, every now and again I'll pass a good size tree, and see this fairly large (1 inch long maybe), black bug fly in a direct line and start chasing me. My buddies and I used to call them African bees even though that's not what they are.

These things will chase you FAST for a good 50-100 feet, then stop on a dime, do a 180, and return to their "nest" or whatever. I don't think they're horseflies, but I don't know. Hornets maybe? Anybody know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: the REAL butter bean ()
Date: June 03, 2013 01:05PM

Kind of Scared of Bugs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When running on some of the trails around here,
> every now and again I'll pass a good size tree,
> and see this fairly large (1 inch long maybe),
> black bug fly in a direct line and start chasing
> me. My buddies and I used to call them African
> bees even though that's not what they are.
>
> These things will chase you FAST for a good 50-100
> feet, then stop on a dime, do a 180, and return to
> their "nest" or whatever. I don't think they're
> horseflies, but I don't know. Hornets maybe?
> Anybody know?

Have you tried one simmered in butter?

Mmmmmm ..... good!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: answers ()
Date: June 03, 2013 01:14PM

Those are from the species Cedapu Sysrun. Not sure what their generic name is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: mantutian ()
Date: June 03, 2013 01:17PM

It sounds like carpenter bees and they don't normally sting. They do however love wood...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: Confirmed ()
Date: June 03, 2013 01:19PM

answers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are from the species Cedapu Sysrun. Not sure
> what their generic name is.

I did a dissertation in college on the guy who classified them, Phuh J'Packur.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: OldFyrMan ()
Date: June 03, 2013 01:21PM

Sounds like Carpenter Bees. Kinda look like honeybees on steroids. Will follow you pretty close, but are pretty docile and supposedly rarely sting....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: S. Irwin ()
Date: June 03, 2013 01:32PM

Probably Cicada Killer Wasp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: Bugged! ()
Date: June 03, 2013 01:37PM

There is a bug around like the one you describe, that looks like a horsefly to me that will bite the crap out of you. There are very large black flies that can buzz like a bee. They are hard to tell on the wing, so you need to wait for them to rest. Some have lots of coarse black hair. The horse flies have black eyes, the smaller black flies could be “Flesh Flies” and their eyes are red. There are a lot more of them around here than have been in the past, but that might not be what you’re talking about here. Also The carpenter bee will also appear all black but is actually a metallic dark green or dark blue. They are totally unafraid of man but they also only buzz someone to check him/her out. They do this especially if you are near their nest which is a hole in cedar or redwood. I have nests in my shed and they buzz me whenever I go near the shed.

Horsefly, Flesh fly, and Carpenter Bee
Attachments:
untitled.bmp
Sarcophagid_1.jpg
552.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: June 03, 2013 03:08PM

I have carpenter bees around the yard that get right up to my face when mowing the lawn just checking me out but stay at about one foot distance. I think they can bite if they get bothered but I don't think they sting. After that, they just zip off and defend their territory from other bugs, chasing them off. While I'm mowing, they usually don't come back after the first encounter. Horseflys will chase you for your sweat and will bite through your shirt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: Buzz ()
Date: June 03, 2013 03:51PM

jim143 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have carpenter bees around the yard that get
> right up to my face when mowing the lawn just
> checking me out but stay at about one foot
> distance. I think they can bite if they get
> bothered but I don't think they sting. After
> that, they just zip off and defend their territory
> from other bugs, chasing them off. While I'm
> mowing, they usually don't come back after the
> first encounter. Horseflys will chase you for
> your sweat and will bite through your shirt.


The males cannot sting. Those are the ones that you'll usually see buzzing around chasing females and then later guarding the holes.

The females can sting but they stay in the holes for the most part other than when out gathering pollen to bring back. You'll have to really bother them and/or trap them in some way or something like that to have them sting you.

You can tell the males by a white mark on their heads.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: Li Li ()
Date: July 26, 2013 04:29PM

I am a distance runner in PA and have experienced those bugs as well and on occasion have been bitten. They will aggressively chase you and circle you for long distances. They are not carpenter bees. I have those in my yard and they will buzz you when near their nest but will not chase you like these other bugs. They are terrible. Would love to know what they are also.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: Dragon Fly ()
Date: July 26, 2013 04:36PM

Dragon fly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: I'm being followed by a moon ()
Date: July 26, 2013 05:42PM

Moon Crickets

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: asdfadsfsaf ()
Date: July 26, 2013 06:13PM

Li Li Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a distance runner in PA and have experienced
> those bugs as well and on occasion have been
> bitten. They will aggressively chase you and
> circle you for long distances. They are not
> carpenter bees. I have those in my yard and they
> will buzz you when near their nest but will not
> chase you like these other bugs. They are
> terrible. Would love to know what they are also.

They are nasty horseflies. They've gotten much more vicious in recent years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: Waspy ()
Date: July 26, 2013 07:15PM

I have been chased by the same things at Burke Lake. They are not horseflies but black wasps and they've been at Burke Lake for some time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: MoreInfo ()
Date: July 26, 2013 10:28PM

BBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!!
Attachments:
Oprahs-Bees.gif

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: Little Richard Simmons ()
Date: July 26, 2013 10:35PM

If you wear very colorful clothing, they will come after you. They love spandex and lycra.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are those big bugs/bees that chase you?
Posted by: Mari ()
Date: September 08, 2013 11:16PM

I live in South Riding and it's invaded by those horse flies. I can't even drive with my windows opened because they don't loose a chance of getting in. I saw the chart and the ones that are here are the darkest horse flies.

Hate them!!!!!!
Attachments:
Horse Fly.png

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
KXnUD
This forum powered by Phorum.