HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Penderlan
Posted by: Leeds ()
Date: May 27, 2013 08:58PM

Some real estate web sites call the area around Fair Oaks Mall and Fairfax Town Center "Penderlan." I've never heard this name before. Is this a name cooked up by realtors or has it always been around? Do people who live there use it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Penderlan
Posted by: Frizzle ()
Date: May 28, 2013 04:13PM

Call a Realtor.

Posted by: curmudgen ()
Date: May 29, 2013 08:14AM

Historically, the community around the crossroads of 50 and west ox was known as "Pender". There was a Pender church there at the least. Pender Vetinary clinic occupied that church building for a while before they got their new building. The developer of Penderbrook (across 50 from where the church was) actually tapped into local history to get a name. Points for that.

No idea on the "Penderlan" term. "Pender area" would actually make sense.

Posted by: Leeds ()
Date: May 29, 2013 10:38AM

Thanks, curmudgen!

Posted by: Fairfax Bob ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:01PM

There is a historical info board (I guess you would call it) in front of the Pender shopping center (the one with Harris Teeter in it) telling the history of the area. Quite interesting. The area was named after a general who fought in the Battle of Ox Hill, which took place not far away. His name was General Pender. There was a farm on the site of the current Pender shopping center and the people that owned it were union sympathizers when the surrounding area was not. They got called "Yankees" all the time and were proud of it. The Battle of Ox Hill took place so close that confederate soldiers set up camp on the farm property. The farm owners weren't too happy about this of course. The name "Pender" appears on old maps of the area, so it's not a new name. Never heard of "Penderlan" though.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: May 30, 2013 08:26PM

And the intersection of Fox Mill Road and Monroe was known as "Hattontown"; Google Maps used to show it, although I looked just now and didn't see it. I asked the Fairfax Historical Society and they told me about it.

So if you want more on Pender, I'm sure they'll have it...

Posted by: Stonewall ()
Date: May 30, 2013 11:49PM

William Dorsey Pender died at Gettsyburg at the age of 29, one of the rising stars of the Confederate army. He commanded troops at Second Manassas and Ox Hill.

Posted by: Fairfax Bob ()
Date: May 31, 2013 08:58PM

Oh noes! Since the PC crowd wants to rename everything that "honors" Confedrate soldiers does that mean Penderbrook where I live is going to have to be renamed Grantbrook or some other Union General name?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.