HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
George Mason University Parking/Campus Police
Posted by: uhhcya ()
Date: February 13, 2006 09:16PM

What the fuck is up with these campus police on a power trip? Also, why cant Mason get their shit together and do something about the parking? What is everyones opinions on the matters?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: George Mason University Parking/Campus Police
Posted by: VicTry ()
Date: February 13, 2006 09:19PM

Okay dont even start about parking services, I got a letter at my house for 4 tickets to my G number, for a car that wasnt mine. And then they put an academic hold onmy freakin record so i couldnt sign up for classes, saying that I didnt pay the fines. Bastards.... And parking sucks, they need to do some shit about that cause cold ass walks are no fun. But WHAT are you bitching about lol you have a teachers pass to park close...must be nice.

-you know who

Posted by: A'rn ()
Date: February 14, 2006 12:48PM

I caved, paid the $450 and bought myself a parking spot inside the garage. Best money I ever spent - dropped travel time to and from the truck to about 5 minutes.

Of course, because I'm a big fucking nerd, all of my classes are in S&T 1 and 2, so it may not help you if you're a fine arts major or have business classes.

...of course, if you're a fine arts major, I'd sit on that money because you're gonna need it once you graduate.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: February 14, 2006 01:28PM

I take evening classes and park in Lot K. No permit, no tickets. This semester 2 of my 3 classes are in Innovation so the walk isn't that bad.

My complaint is the traffic getting in and out of Mason. I especially hate when they hold events at the Patriot Center during Finals week.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 14, 2006 02:53PM

uhhcya Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the fuck is up with these campus police on a
> power trip?

dude... you have no idea.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: uhhcya ()
Date: February 14, 2006 06:56PM

I was ove rnear presidents park and my friend, a moron he is, peeled out into presidents park where some cops happened to be siting. I was comming up to one of them as they were walking down and he told me to "pull the fuck over." I had my window cracked and heard him so i rolled it down all the way and i said loudly, "excuse me?" He kept walking away. Another officer hard me say that and she came over to me and i asked to speak to their superior and she asked what for. I told her what the other oficer had done and that it was extremey rude/wrong (she didnt hear him - how convenient) and i felt the need to express my opinion on the matter. So the Sgt. came over to me and i told him what his officer did and he told me he would "talk to him about it." Bull shit, you wonder why some cops get no respect. I wasnt the one who screwed up and that rude campus cop knew that but still spoke to me in that manner. What a f*ing prick.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 14, 2006 10:47PM

being a police officer if just above being a janitor

na

Posted by: bizkit ()
Date: February 14, 2006 10:59PM

I have a 4:30 class this semester and park in the garage. Stupid prof. kept us there the entire class tonight so it took me 40 minutes to get off campus. After that it took me 10 minutes to get home. Campus parking sucks. When it's nicer out, I usually just park at University Mall and walk.

Posted by: BFA student ()
Date: February 15, 2006 03:42AM

bitch please don't give us that crap about needing that money after we graduate...

Date: February 15, 2006 11:11AM

Show me a successful art student who walks out of university with money in hand and I'll show you a damn good con artist/thief/get-rich-quick schemer/etc...

Besides, who's the engineering major and using accurate punctuation?

Date: February 15, 2006 04:06PM

bad cops, off the message board. DOWN! BAD BAD cops, no donut!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: BFA ()
Date: February 15, 2006 04:58PM

wow you engineering students must really be that arrogant. this just shows how you follow the stereotype of the professional artist. don't try and bash artists and compare us to a "con". engineering is one boring ass profession; there are so many areas on campus which your field has already fucked up. i mean come on, look at what happened to the johnson center and the whole fine arts building.

Date: February 15, 2006 07:57PM

Call us all you wish. I already got an English degree. I went back for my engineering degree.

...and wealth will be a constant, not a variable.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 15, 2006 08:02PM

I always thought a good engineer WAS an artist.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: February 15, 2006 10:11PM

English majors rock.

Posted by: matt7758 ()
Date: April 03, 2009 07:36PM

hey don't say us engineering students are arrogant, it may be boring field but at least we are likely to get employeed in future and make a lot of money compared to "arts students" who will just end up as a cashier or janitor once they graduate because no one in society give a damn about Arts and such crap, got that? ....

Posted by: Area Man ()
Date: April 03, 2009 08:23PM

Mason cops are Virginia State Police and being stationed at GMU is a shit assignment for them. They resent having to deal with spoiled college kids all day and never getting any "meaty" arrests. I got this directly from a GMU officer.

Posted by: tf ()
Date: April 03, 2009 08:58PM

They are employed by the state but they are not VSP. They do not go to the same academy as troopers. They are hired by GMU, it is not as if they have any other choices of assignment. They are college cops, thats it.

Posted by: Steve K ()
Date: April 03, 2009 09:33PM

Who the shit cares what major you are. Do what makes you happy. Engineering is a boring ass job, some people will opt for the money, good for them if they can get it.

Fine arts might not pay nearly as much, but I'm sure most graduates enjoy their jobs a hell of a lot more.

Posted by: AJ ()
Date: April 03, 2009 11:29PM

They are trained in rules like VSP because their campuses span 4 different jurisdictions (Arlington, PW, Loudon, Fairfax City) but they are not fully trained like VSP. They like to play with the rules like setting speed traps on chain bridge at university townhomes saying that chain bridge between the townhomes and the campus is of university interest etc...

about as useful as fairfax city police but their cars are green gold and white instead of blue gold and white

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: April 04, 2009 12:14AM

Steve K Wrote:
> Who the shit cares what major you are. Do what
> makes you happy. Engineering is a boring ass job,
> some people will opt for the money, good for them
> if they can get it.
>
> Fine arts might not pay nearly as much, but I'm
> sure most graduates enjoy their jobs a hell of a
> lot more.

What is boring for one may be quite stimulating for another. I know engineers and I know artists, both absolutely love what they do and feel what the other does would be torture. It isn't always about the money. Some people really do enjoy engineering.

Posted by: il ()
Date: April 04, 2009 08:38AM

I paid the majority of my parking ticket with pennies, over 1,000-- in person at the parking office. Boy, were they not too happy about that.

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: April 04, 2009 12:16PM

Why even pay to park on campus anyway?

Commuters can park on School Street near Bernie's Deli without paying. Ditto for Roberts Road south of Braddock and Tapestry between Roberts Road and Braddock.

The side street off University near the baseball field is also available.

You are right. You never heard about this at orientation.

Posted by: strates ()
Date: April 04, 2009 10:39PM

I got a parking ticket last spring break. I was the only car in the lot, and they gave me a blasted ticket. I hope they did some good with that $75.

Posted by: sradfar ()
Date: April 05, 2009 09:02PM

Ask gravis about me. I'm a female GMU cop and he got arrested by me....fucking tool....sharon arrested Gayvis and now he hates all cops and females...pole smoker...Hey Gayvis, are you pitching or catching tonight??

Posted by: janitor ()
Date: April 05, 2009 09:06PM

Yah RESton fuckface, they are the same, they both deal with trash and idiots like you who get tickets and cry boohoo , I'm RESton Peace and everyone loves me--boohooooooo---please blog with me my fellow FU geeks, I break law and get in trouble, not my fault, I hate cops. Give me a break.....Love John Stossel

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 05, 2009 09:34PM

You should send an instant message to WGMUOnAirStudio and ask the Disk jokey what he/she thinks of GMU.

Posted by: Armani Slacks ()
Date: April 05, 2009 09:37PM

When I went to Harvard, the campus police were very aggressive. They were always towing my Jag and writing traffic citations for the smallest offense.

Posted by: thatswhatiwasthinking ()
Date: April 06, 2009 01:04AM

Can GMU guards really arrest people? I thought they are just campus security. They think they are are cool now with that dodge charger.

Posted by: Armani Sucks ()
Date: April 06, 2009 02:12PM

Armani Slacks Wrote:
> When I went to Harvard, the campus police were
> very aggressive.

Harvard? Didn't you mean Hamburger University?

They were always towing my Jag
> and writing traffic citations for the smallest
> offense.

You mean exposing yourself? I'm sure it was the 'smallest' offense the police ever encountered!

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: April 06, 2009 03:33PM

Ive gotten 3 tickets at GMU:
One for parking at a meter on Inauguration day, BEFORE the fuckin semester even started
One at 9:59 PM on a Friday, one minute before parking is free
And one while my girlfriend was in the car, while parked at a handicapped spot. The parking officials cursed at her, so I filed an appeal.

Date: April 06, 2009 04:01PM

The parking enforcment folks can only issue tickets.

The police are another story. They are fully sworn law enforcement officials.

They can and do arrest people, mostly DUIs but some assaults and thefts.

Chris Wrote:
> Ive gotten 3 tickets at GMU:
> One for parking at a meter on Inauguration day,
> BEFORE the fuckin semester even started
> One at 9:59 PM on a Friday, one minute before
> parking is free
> And one while my girlfriend was in the car, while
> parked at a handicapped spot. The parking
> officials cursed at her, so I filed an appeal.

Posted by: Cool Story, Bro ()
Date: May 06, 2009 04:29PM

sradfar wrote:

>Ask gravis about me. I'm a female GMU cop and he got arrested by me....fucking >tool....sharon arrested Gayvis and now he hates all cops and females...pole >smoker...Hey Gayvis, are you pitching or catching tonight??

lol at a cop calling someone else a tool, when that is exactly what you are. btw, nice gay jokes, looks like you never evolved past 4th grade mentality. women cops are the worst, because they always act like they have something to fucking prove. cool story, bro.

g
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: May 06, 2009 11:25PM

f

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 03:17PM by inkahootz.

Posted by: Champion ()
Date: May 06, 2009 11:31PM

They have very speific jurisdictions. It is all universtiy property and all roads and side walks immediately adjacent. If they are driving around and see something though they can act. Also they unlimited pursuit jurisdiction. In addition they have jurisdiction over all roads tangential to Mason property for a mile, but it is overlapping jurisdiction. They could get joint jurisdiction with the city of fairfax if both jurisdictions agree and it is certified by the commonwealth circuit courts. But the city hasn't pursued it because The Mason cops aren't that good and residents do not want them responding to events in the city. One last fact, all local cops operate on the same frequencies so if one jurisdictions cop spots something in another jurisdiction they all get the notice and can respond.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: May 07, 2009 09:09AM

Of course, you also have Mason cops in Arlington - owing to the Grad school and Law school.

Date: May 07, 2009 12:46PM

GMU cops are very aware of the population they serve.

They are vigilant about speeders on campus. Last weekend, I was in front of the AFC speaking to a cop when some dude in a Toyota roared by in the direction of Presidents Park and Sandy Creek. The cop had radar and very politely said, "excuse me," and went after the driver.

The officer previously had told me that speeding is quite a problem.

On campus, one might want to observe the posted speed limits.

Another problem is theft.

Earlier this week, a female student dozed while on one of the shuttle buses.

When she woke up, her laptop and debit card was gone.

I heard her tell someone that $400 in charges were racked up by the thief.

GMU police did not investigate the case because the theft happened on the way back from the Metro.

Don't drive fast, Don't steal, and the GMU cops will treat you just fine.

Posted by: COPSSSS ()
Date: May 07, 2009 01:13PM

These "GMU COPS" usually go to 7-11 on Little River Turnpike for DONUT ... (why do they have to go that far ?? i don't know) ..

but ... the other regular go to DUNKIN DONUTS ..

hehe

Posted by: Porksta ()
Date: May 07, 2009 03:23PM

What we DO need is better parking enforcement around the field house. The students are constantly parking in no parking and residential zones.

Date: May 07, 2009 03:26PM

Porksta Wrote:
> What we DO need is better parking enforcement
> around the field house. The students are
> constantly parking in no parking and residential
> zones.

yeah, fuck addressing the cause, just ticket the hell out of people!

Posted by: Porksta ()
Date: May 07, 2009 07:06PM

Gravis Wrote:
> Porksta Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What we DO need is better parking enforcement
> > around the field house. The students are
> > constantly parking in no parking and
> residential
> > zones.
>
> yeah, fuck addressing the cause, just ticket the
> hell out of people!

Exactly. If people are constantly ticketed, they will cease breaking the law.

Date: May 07, 2009 09:57PM

Porksta Wrote:
> What we DO need is better parking enforcement
> around the field house. The students are
> constantly parking in no parking and residential
> zones.

Porksta,

The Fairfax County Police and parking enforcement usually came by University Drive near the Field House every Tuesday and Thursday to issue tickets. Motorists usually parked illegally at the three entrances. They did not see the signs which forbade parking from a certain point to the corner.

The no parking zones were not marked well until about a month ago when maintenance painted the no parking zones yellow. Now fewer motorists are parking illegally. I have seen cars parked on Roberts Road (south of Braddock), Tapestry (between Braddock and Roberts) and School Street west of Ox Road/Chain Bridge Road (S.R. 123) because the drivers had not paid the fees for on campus parking.

Fairfax City police and parking enforcement are even more vigilant. If you live in the City (University Drive near the Field House is in the County) call or go see someone in the new PD headquarters on Old Lee Highway.

GMU cops do not like to ticket anything which is not moving. That is what one told me while he was running radar.

Posted by: cletus van damn ()
Date: May 07, 2009 11:59PM

The gmu police also have a dedicated bicycle patrol team.

Date: May 18, 2009 07:50PM

cletus van damn Wrote:
> The gmu police also have a dedicated bicycle
> patrol team.

I saw one out today.

Has anyone experienced problems due to the closure of University at Armstrong?

Posted by: Cheapskate ()
Date: May 18, 2009 10:07PM

Park on the street that runs past the field house. Jump on the shuttle in front of the field house to campus if you're feeling lazy. Free! I did it for a full semester and it was lovely. Just don't park within 10 ft. of peoples' driveways. They can call the cops and get ya ticketed if ya do.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: May 18, 2009 10:47PM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> Has anyone experienced problems due to the closure
> of University at Armstrong?

Yes, it seriously fucks up my little commute. I wonder why the hell they did it before the new road (Geo Mason Blvd) is finished....not that will help much.

But I am happy for the homeowners on University....they have put up with hordes of speeding fucking commuters for many years. I admire Fairfax City for what they did for those folks....the County would never close a commuter shortcut, no matter how dangerous it is for the locals. I take that back, they finally closed the Southampton Motor Speedway through King's Park, but they don't do it often.

Posted by: yeah ()
Date: May 19, 2009 09:20AM

the County would never close a commuter shortcut, no matter how dangerous it is for the locals

That's because the county doesn't own/maintain its own roads like ffx city does. The county is very limited in what it can do on the public roads within its boundaries because they're owned by the state. Being that the state just passed legislation saying that it would no longer accept cul-de-sacs into the state maintenance system, the chance of something similar to the University drive closure happening in the county is now even less likely.

Posted by: That guy ()
Date: May 19, 2009 11:37PM

Parking services at GMU is actually completely separate from the police department. They have NOTHING to do with the parking tickets. The only tickets the GMU police can give you is an actualy Virginia Uniform Summons(the real kind that you go to court for).

As for parking, well, GMU doesn't care about anyone. It makes its propaganda and tells its students the journey of learning, etc, bullshit. It's nothing more than a business, and that's what the people running it care about. It's about money and nothing more.

Date: May 22, 2009 12:00PM

I got a sandwich at Bernie's earlier this week.

I saw several cars parking on School Street west of Chain Bridge Road / Ox Road and it is only May.

Some students are revolting against the on campus parking fees.

Posted by: dangle ()
Date: May 23, 2009 12:59PM

Anybody see that segway they ride around on. THose cops think they are cool.

Posted by: yup ()
Date: May 23, 2009 08:46PM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
>
> Some students are revolting against the on campus
> parking fees.

I agree, GMU students are revolting.

Posted by: Damond ()
Date: November 02, 2009 01:13AM

What is this blog about? Parking or cops?

1. Parking is handled by a private (profit) company. All they do is generate $$$ for the university. The tickets are way overpriced and if not paid, they go to a collections agency. Try and get a job in this economy with a collections lien against you.

2. Police = police. Every university and college has a dedicated police force.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: November 02, 2009 07:14AM

Damond Wrote:
> What is this blog about? Parking or cops?
>

It appears to be both.

Parking wasn't too bad this semester with the new Rappahannock deck, but I suspect all the open spots in this deck will be taken early each morning by faculty/staff once they close lot G later this month.

Date: November 02, 2009 07:20AM

The spots on School Street between George Mason University Blvd and Chain Bridge Road usually are taken on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have parked on School Street down near Bernie's Deli but it is quite a hike.

Spots rarely open up on University in front of the Field House. Mike the ticket guy said he finds many violations in the Field House lot. He just writes them up.

Have you used the Field House Express shuttle?

If so, does it work for you?

Dane Bramage Wrote:
> Damond Wrote:
> -----
> > What is this blog about? Parking or cops?
> >
>
> It appears to be both.
>
> Parking wasn't too bad this semester with the new
> Rappahannock deck, but I suspect all the open
> spots in this deck will be taken early each
> morning by faculty/staff once they close lot G
> later this month.

Posted by: expat ()
Date: November 02, 2009 07:24AM

Mason is a nowhere school.I have friends that go to uva,tech and madison and they have tons of stuff to do. Mason sucks. Go to a real school.

Date: November 02, 2009 07:25AM

All you ever wanted to know about parking at GMU but were afraid to ask:

http://parking.gmu.edu/

Parking Services at George Mason University has been growing in size, complexity, and parking options for many years. There was a time when you were assured of finding a parking space, not always close to your building, but close enough. However over the past several years as George Mason has been constructing more academic and administrative buildings and the size of our student polulation has grown, parking has become more problematic. Changing where segments of the campus community are allowed to park, constructing two parking decks and eduction outreach are just a few of the methods to help alleviate the parking issues that are heard not only at George Mason, but across almost every campus in the country. Parking Services is the department some faculy, staff, students, and visitors love to hate, albeit many times, not fairly. George Mason has contracted with experts in the parking industry for over 15 years and currently contracted with Standard Parking Corporation in 2005 to manage the ever increasing demands of parking on George Mason's growing campuses located throughout northern Virginia.
Related Links
Follow Mason Parking Twitter and Facebook
MyMason Traffic & Construction Alerts

Shuttle Services

Transportation Dept.

NEWS BOX

Posted by: ian l ()
Date: November 02, 2009 03:53PM

expat Wrote:
> Mason is a nowhere school.I have friends that go
> to uva,tech and madison and they have tons of
> stuff to do. Mason sucks. Go to a real school.

Mason is the number one school to watch. UVA is like majority out of state students so it doenst really count. VT has too much on campus violence and Madison has too many parties.

Posted by: Chuck Norris ()
Date: November 21, 2009 11:25PM

GMU Police are VA DCJS certified law enforemcent officers with full arrest powers. They attend the same academy with the majority of the NOVA agencies. They are sworn in and can make arrests in Prince William, Fairfax and Arlington counties. They have mutual aid agreements with Fairfax City and County. They have on more than one occasion been asked to respond to calls in the City of Fairax.

They are very fair when it comes to alcohol violations. For every 1 DIP or underage possession arrest, they probably cut 3 a break. So stop your crying. You are an adult now and should be treated as such. I can't understand why I hear fellow students complaining when they get caught. If you break a law don't be upset when youre caught.

Posted by: GiveMemyfUggnticket ()
Date: November 23, 2009 09:22AM

I graduated from GMU over 20 years ago and the parking was horrible back then, too. There were no parking garages. My freshman year I used to park at the fieldhouse for free then they put up a fence to make it harder for us to cross 123 and walk into campus.

There was a black market for parking passes then - folks had them stolen from their cars. I recall getting a ticket for double parking (w/hazards on for no more than 3-4 minutes) when trying to pay another ticket. They'd ticket you at the drop of a hat back then. Made me so bitter, paying all those fees and fines, that to this day, I am reluctant to give a dime to the school when they come calling for alumni to donate.

Just a fact of life there at GMU - avoid the hassle and give yourself plenty of time, park legally & pay your tickets. The only other option is to move on campus.

Date: November 23, 2009 10:09AM

Last year finding a place to park on University Drive near the Field House was difficult on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This year it is difficult Monday through Friday.

Fairfax County parking enforcement patrols University every Tuesday and Thursday.

Folks are now starting to park on Sideburn Road, south of Braddock, Roberts Road and Tapestry Drive (also south of Braddock), School Street near Bernie's Deli, and Chancery Park Drive off University.

Although the signs say otherwise, parking regulations do not seem to be enforced on Sundays. I am not sure about Saturdays.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 24, 2009 01:03AM

Some things are common to all state universities. Just like all universities have terrible internet connections for students in their dorms, all universities will rape you with their parking enforcement.

Posted by: bj ()
Date: December 06, 2009 10:02AM

I'm a transfer student starting Spring '10.

Is it legal to park at University Mall, or do they hand out tickets if they see you walking across the street to the campus?

Also, if I buy a Rappahannock Deck parking pass, what are the odds of actually finding a spot there for classes starting around 1:30pm M-R?

Thanks.

Posted by: detective stabler ()
Date: December 06, 2009 06:31PM

They won't ticket your car since university mall is privite property. They will tow it though. The new parking deck is never full to capacity. Just watch out for the campus copper on the segway.

Date: December 06, 2009 06:51PM

bj Wrote:
>>
> Also, if I buy a Rappahannock Deck parking pass,
> what are the odds of actually finding a spot there
> for classes starting around 1:30pm M-R?
>
> Thanks.

If you buy one of the Rappahanock deck passes I am pretty sure that you are guaranteed a slot (pricey). There are also General Pass spaces in that deck, and when I went by at lunch there were usually hundreds open (they have an info sign outside the deck with number of general spaces open).

Most students are still trying to park on the south side of campus, so the parking by the Patriot Center and Aquatic center is hard to come by at mid day...a General Pass may still be good enough for the deck, BUT, the Fac/Staff lot next to it closes this Friday, and most of those cars will probably end up in the deck at 8:30 am.

Clear as mud?

Date: December 07, 2009 04:49PM

On Monday and Wednesday I can usually park on School Street near the hospital.

On Tuesday and Thursday I park near Bernie's Deli which is at the intersection of School Street and Chain Bridge Road/ Ox Road (Rte. 123).

I have seen plenty of folks park on University Drive down near the baseball field. A guy got a ticket last week for being parked with his left wheel to the curb and in a no parking zone.

Another freebie used by freshman who live in President's Park is the neighborhood on Roberts Road south of Braddock. I see plenty of cars on Tapestry. Don't park in the old swimming pool lot. You will get towed.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: December 09, 2009 09:04AM

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it a lot.

Posted by: Kevin ONeill ()
Date: January 18, 2010 07:41PM

New zoned parking signs for residents only have been placed on Tapestry Drive. Cars are now getting ticketed for parking in what used to be a "free parking space". Freebee parking on Tapestry Drive is over.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: January 18, 2010 08:13PM

Kevin ONeill Wrote:
> New zoned parking signs for residents only have
> been placed on Tapestry Drive. Cars are now
> getting ticketed for parking in what used to be a
> "free parking space". Freebee parking on Tapestry
> Drive is over.

Are you the same Kevin O'neill that used to be in the Alexandria JC's?

Date: January 19, 2010 09:34AM

I haven't been over there in a while.

Have similar signs been placed on Roberts Road south of Braddock?

Yesterday I parked on Sideburn near the Dominion Power where there were no signs.

Kevin ONeill Wrote:
> New zoned parking signs for residents only have
> been placed on Tapestry Drive. Cars are now
> getting ticketed for parking in what used to be a
> "free parking space". Freebee parking on Tapestry
> Drive is over.

Posted by: Jackie-O! ()
Date: January 21, 2010 06:33PM

Do the GMU police have jurisdiction on parts of Braddock Rd. and 123?

Posted by: yes ()
Date: January 21, 2010 06:53PM

Jackie-O! Wrote:
> Do the GMU police have jurisdiction on parts of
> Braddock Rd. and 123?

Yes, they do. I know they have gotten several DUIs on Braddock.

Posted by: brian ()
Date: February 05, 2010 01:37AM

parking service drivers are racist and very rude, where are they hiring these people, most them do not even understand proper English.

Mason is not doing anything and I think as students we are to do something about this, without us they have no source of revenue we are what makes mason and we got to do something about this we do not pay tuition that keeps rising and rising and also have to face shitty services from mason that are designed to help us yet they hire morons that spy on us, harasss us, yell and shout to us.

Posted by: xyz ()
Date: February 12, 2010 02:36PM

Campus Police always take little things big because they have no serious things to do. Parking ticket is a good way to collect money, to be cynically.
In a word, there are too many laws in this whole country, and too many prisoners. On Avergae each person commit 7 fenolies in their entire life without even knowing?
we were wondering what happened to the USA, To be honest, the organ who have most power of force and violent machines is no gansters, No Godfather, but gonvernment, Millions dies in a " justified" war, how many dies in one crime? We do not understand how violence cure violence?

Posted by: lyle ()
Date: February 12, 2010 06:52PM

http://www.purpleberets.org/violence_police_families.html
Violence is not a GOOD THING, IT seems EVEN corrupt the officers who is under its influence.

Posted by: Neighhbor ()
Date: February 13, 2010 02:40PM

The parking fees are too high and I sympathize with the problems students are having with on and off campus parking. However, some students are causing many of the problems you describe above (creation of no parking zones and residential permit parking areas) by parking in crosswalks, parking too far from the curb, making sudden stops and u-turns while hunting for spaces, illegal angle parking, blocking resident mailboxes, etc, etc, etc. That being said, I still blame GMU for raping you for parking fees. You (or your parents) are their bread and butter. Good luck.

Posted by: student ()
Date: February 20, 2010 04:10AM

Hey do you know what days they ticket i know for a fact sundays they dont but do u know what days?

Posted by: KPW Resident ()
Date: February 24, 2010 08:33AM

Yesterday, February 23rd, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved the Residential Permit Parking District (RPPD) request for the 4800 block of Tapestry Drive. Seven residents spoke in favor of the RPPD, while one college student spoke against it. The hours will be Monday-Friday, 7:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M., and Saturday, 7:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. These are the same hours as for the recently established RPPD for 4780-4802 Tapestry Drive.

We anticipate that enforcement of the new RPPD will begin in about five weeks. Residents of the Kings Park West townhouses and Kingsberry townhouses will get letters in the next two weeks with instructions for requesting decals and visitors' passes.

These actions are necessary to ensure safe and adequate parking for those residents who have had to compete with Mason students for street parking. While parking on streets adjoining the university may be a matter of convenience (and understandably finances) for Mason students, it is a quality of life issue for those of us who live here.

As Mason students will have to park further and further away from school to obtain "free parking," residents in the community will petition county officials to enact additional RPPDs such that at some point, students will recognize that the cost of "free parking" is roughly equivalent to the cost of parking on campus.

Posted by: Ann Sharp ()
Date: April 27, 2010 09:16PM

The Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) has decided to eliminate parking along guardrails on Roberts Road. This will remove 30 to 32 parking spaces.

Posted by: SinghisKing ()
Date: April 27, 2010 09:42PM

Ann Sharp Wrote:
> The Fairfax County Department of Transportation
> (FCDOT) has decided to eliminate parking along
> guardrails on Roberts Road. This will remove 30
> to 32 parking spaces.

When is this suppose to start?

Posted by: Some Guy ()
Date: April 29, 2010 09:07PM

I've seen plenty of cars sideswiped along Roberts Rd. so it was just bound to happen eventually.

Posted by: Mason Alum ()
Date: June 16, 2010 05:01PM

They enforce every day of the year with the exception of Holidays (ie when the University is completely closed). They only give citations on the weekends for handicap and firelane violations and that stuff. They won't ticket for not having a permit in the general lots.

I don't know what you all are bitching about, parking isn't that bad. 2 years ago, when they closed Lot F while building Rappahannock, parking was a crapshoot, Tues/Thurs, if you had class at noon, it was a 1 in a 100 chance of finding a space on campus, much less the field house... and just imagine if any of you get a job up in D.C. Parking in an underground garage is upwards of $400 a month. A MONTH! And that was still 5 blocks from your office. $450 for an entire year doesn't sound so bad anymore.

Follow the rules and don't be a smartass when the cops question you/pull you over. How hard is that to do? Nevermind, I forgot it's mandatory to be rebelious while going to school on mommy and daddy's bank account...

Parking on Tapestry Drive and Roberts Road
Posted by: Tapestry1 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 11:16AM

Fairfax County police are strictly enforcing parking regulations on Tapestry Drive and Roberts Road. Non-resident cars parked in Tapestry Drive RPPD areas and cars parked in no parking zones on Roberts Road will be ticketed.

Re: Parking on Tapestry Drive and Roberts Road
Date: August 13, 2010 11:07AM

Tapestry1 Wrote:
> Fairfax County police are strictly enforcing
> parking regulations on Tapestry Drive and Roberts
> Road. Non-resident cars parked in Tapestry Drive
> RPPD areas and cars parked in no parking zones on
> Roberts Road will be ticketed.

they are treating the symptoms instead of curing the disease. i'm sure officials like that it's also more profitable.

Posted by: Making_stuff ()
Date: August 13, 2010 11:34AM

Mason Alum Wrote:
>They won't ticket for not having
> a permit in the general lots.

You are so wrong that it makes bunnies sterile and baby Jesus cry. They'll ticket anybody they can find that doesn't have exactly the right permit/sticker/etc. in their window.

Posted by: 12345 ()
Date: August 14, 2010 12:04PM

Granted, it's been a while, but when I was there the parking was a joke, and the parking enforcement people had to have been Satan's minions who were kicked out of hell for being too incompetent. I can't even tell you the number of issues I had with them while I was there, even AFTER paying up the ass for a parking permit each year. I have so many stories: tickets because the decal fell off through no fault of my own (even though it was totally visible on the dashboard), timed meters where a minute does not equal 60 seconds, tickets over a holiday when the parking lot is virtually empty, etc. Then again, they have a monopoly, a captive audience and hardly any accountability, so what do you expect?

Only solution I can think of is to allow multiple parking companies to manage different lots and compete with each other. I bet the prices for a yearly permit would go down real fast and customer service might actually enter their minds. You'd be stuck parking in the same lot all semester, but I think most people have a favorite lot anyway.

Posted by: PMEdward ()
Date: August 30, 2010 07:44PM

I keep hearing rumors that weekend parking at the Rappahannock deck is free. Is this true? I really need to know.

Posted by: Maverick ()
Date: August 30, 2010 10:22PM

Drive a scooter and park with the bicycles. It's free and if you wear a helmet no one will know who you are.

Date: August 31, 2010 06:53AM

During the week, parking regulations are enforced aggressively.

On Weekends, the emphasis is on safety violations and incidents of obvious stupidity.

If you park in the Field House lot without a permit during the week, the ticket guys will nail you. On the weekends, nobody cares.

Ditto for the other lots.

Rappahannock is another story.

Parking on University Drive near the Field House . . .
Date: August 31, 2010 06:56AM

In recent years Fairfax County Parking Enforcment agents have always visited the area near the Field House on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Fairfax City is starting to do the same on Santa Clara.

Re: Parking on University Drive near the Field House . . .
Posted by: Ms. Farbry ()
Date: August 31, 2010 02:23PM

Thanks GMU Hokie. You are my hero.

Posted by: Mason Alum ()
Date: September 09, 2010 04:41PM

Making_stuff Wrote:
> Mason Alum Wrote:
> -----
> >They won't ticket for not having
> > a permit in the general lots.
>
> You are so wrong that it makes bunnies sterile and
> baby Jesus cry. They'll ticket anybody they can
> find that doesn't have exactly the right
> permit/sticker/etc. in their window.

You failed to read what I put before, on weekends and holidays when the University is closed (ie Federal Holidays). If you have a question, just send them an email. This is not that hard people.

Date: September 09, 2010 09:29PM

Friend them on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/MasonParkingTransportation

:)

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: Evan Coombs ()
Date: September 11, 2010 02:45AM

Just this evening I had a run in with the GMU cops. I was walking toward the clocktower from Southside and there was a cop car driving down the sidewalk, not seeming to give a damn about anyone who happened to be walking. As he was rolling by me I made a joke to my friend who was with me about how ridiculous it is that there is no distinction made on our campus between a road and a sidewalk, and how is he allowed to drive down the sidewalk? I heard him yell out of his window "You got a problem with that?" and I thought he would just keep driving. But nope, he stopped, and both he and his fellow officer got out and came up to me, and he repeated "Do you have a problem with that?" Giving my honest answer I said, "Well a little bit, but I was making a joke." As I was talking he approached me to the point where his face was no more than a foot from mine and yelled "We're driving down this sidewalk because we're on a VERY important call. If you have a problem with that you can file a complaint at the police department." The whole time he had his hand on his cuffs, and I seriously began to wonder if I was about to be arrested for making a smartass remark. I continued to tell him that I didn't want trouble and finally that I didn't have a problem with it (nevermind that his call apparently was unimportant enough for him to stop and chew me out for something trivial). Finally, after backpedlling to make him feel good and big, he got back in his cruiser and continued down the sidewalk.

Even though I'm well versed in the power-trip habits of our cops I was pretty shocked that he would actually stop and stand over me in a threatening manner because I made a joke to my friend about the fact that he was driving down the sidewalk. I realize that they WILL give you shit for being a smartass, but this guy straight up looked ready to slap the cuffs on me, not to mention his apprentice standing behind him like there was about to be a gunfight. I think I'm going to file a complaint at the police department, even though I know that they read them for laughs on Tuesdays when there is nothing else better to do.

Date: September 11, 2010 11:30AM

Evan,

You do have this option:

http://www.gmu.edu/depts/police/complaint.htm .

Good luck.

GMU H.

Posted by: record it ()
Date: September 11, 2010 11:51AM

you should have pulled out your cell phone and recorded it, i bet all his big boy powers would go away if he thought you were catching it all on tape.

its like being pulled over and they say your on a recorded line for my safety and yours. yea right like they care about your safety.

Date: September 11, 2010 04:34PM

record it Wrote:
> you should have pulled out your cell phone and
> recorded it,

lol, I bet that would have gone over well. (not)

You can start with the Police complaint form, but if you don't receive a satisfactory response, perhaps check out the ombudsman:

http://ombudsman.gmu.edu/

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: Timothy Kotz ()
Date: September 11, 2010 07:20PM

The reason why GMU police gets no respect from students is that these people think they can abuse their power over very small trivial matters. I seen someone spit a loogie on the sidewalk and he was stopped and harassed by the cops.

Posted by: ECXYh ()
Date: September 11, 2010 09:32PM

I would definitely send a formal complaint.
They are a bunch of pusys.

Posted by: slim ()
Date: September 12, 2010 04:58AM

You guys are stupid as shit! Seriously. Not picking sides, but at least get your facts straight before you run your mouth:

1. Parking services is not affiliated with GMU Police what so ever. The campus cops have nothing to do with parking enforcement.
2. GMU cops aren't VSP. They go to the same academy as the other surrounding agencies, like fairfax city PD. Oh, and ps, they have all the same power and authority as any other cop, so from their perspective, they get the last laugh when you try and pull the "you're just a mason cop" routine.
3. Security is not the same as police. GMU cops are police, not security guards. But assume that, and see how fast you end up in the county jail.
4. It's 2010... every cop in the world automatically assumes they are being recorded in some form, so threatening to record an incident only gets their hopes up for making it on you tube. I'm sure they love to hear that.
5. I'm sure all your stories on here are totally spun to make you look like the tough guy... that's got a lot to do with why you haven't recorded the incidents!! lmao. I'm sure you'd be embarassed to post the video of it, showing how you really got YOUR asses punked!!! HAHAHAHAH

Posted by: Piggy ()
Date: September 12, 2010 06:16AM

Mr. Kotz, spitting in or on a public right of way is illegal:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-322

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.