HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Election Signs
Posted by: commuter ()
Date: September 07, 2008 09:16PM

So, now that election season is upon us, I can imagine the millions of candidates signs will start showing up along our roadways. I do not understand why candidate supporters feel the need to post signs every 20 feet along major roadways. An example is route 123 through Mclean. It just looks like litter and they stay up way too long and then after the elections, they remain. Is there anything we can do to limit the number of signs that these supporters litter throughout our neighborhoods. If you decide to show your support by placing a placard in your yard, that is fine, but why subject the rest of us this "advertising" on every inch of green space throughout our county? Does anyone else find these signs as annoying as I do? How about passing a county ordinance on the matter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Election Signs
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 07, 2008 09:32PM

commuter Wrote:
An example is route 123 through Mclean. It just looks like litter

I drove down 123 btwn Great Falls St and the GW Pkway every day this weekend and didn't notice many signs at all?

I hate when they put whole strips of signs along any road, but I haven't seen that happen yet around here. Usually it's worse around Rt 7 near International Drive.

Posted by: commuter ()
Date: September 07, 2008 09:45PM

they haven't put them up yet, but it is just a matter of time!

Date: September 07, 2008 10:21PM

I hate when they overkill on the signage- let's use this thread to report on the specific locations!

Posted by: strates ()
Date: September 07, 2008 11:06PM

Simple market economics... Line the road with your campaign signs, so the other guy can't. Like the OP said, it's littering, charge the campaigns with numerous counts of littering, and it will stop.

No need to pass crazy zoning laws restricting the number or location of signs, most localities already have restrictions on roadside advertisements (i.e. billboards).

As a side note, 97.9 in Baltimore had a contest to collect the most campaign signs after the '06 elections.

Further, I doubt this an effective way of reaching voters for anybody but the most local of candidates, where name recognition is the only thing that matters at the voting booth.

Posted by: Annie ()
Date: September 07, 2008 11:10PM

Forget the signs. Down with Connolly!

Posted by: aaa ()
Date: September 07, 2008 11:26PM

The election signs are illegal. Political candidates have the same status as a small business or anyone else. This is why it is perfectly legal to remove any sign you want at any time.

Posted by: PresaCanario ()
Date: September 07, 2008 11:49PM

aaa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The election signs are illegal. Political
> candidates have the same status as a small
> business or anyone else. This is why it is
> perfectly legal to remove any sign you want at any
> time.

You'll spend some time in jail if you get caught.

Try it.

Posted by: signs ()
Date: September 08, 2008 12:53AM

Wait until October- See all the signs out then!

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 08, 2008 10:25AM

those signs burn well.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 08, 2008 08:43PM

Yes, the ones that are on wooden stakes usually burn the best. Pine is cheap and so that is what it usually is

Date: September 12, 2008 08:31AM

signs Wrote:
>>> Wait until October- See all the signs out then!

Well it looks like those sign-posters are gettin' an early start.... and it looks like the GOP has taken an early lead at the corner of 123 and Great Falls. There a bunch of Gilmore and Wolf signs all within about 10 feet of each other, and one lonely Feder banner. There's also a LOL-funny sign telling me that I'll pay less for gas if I vote Republican. I don't know what's more hilarious- the message, or the not-so-subtle green background. All it's really missing is an ORLY? symbol. And it looks like Warner has staked his claim at the corner of Old Dominion.

There should really be a law to regulate this stuff. Like, only one party's sign within a 100 yard radius. It really is tacky when there's a whole cluster of them.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: September 12, 2008 09:40AM

Have any of you, or anyone you guys know, ever been persuaded to vote a particular way based on a sign on the side of the road or a bumper sticker?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.