HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Instead of dealing with yard sales, where are places to donate?
Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: November 10, 2007 12:19PM

Instead of having a yard sale for older clothes and some general household items we do not use anymore, what are some places that others have donated to with zero hassles/headaches?

We are looking for a place to give us a donation receipt for tax purposes so the donation boxes (planet clothes, etc. are out)

I found the Amvet website and it looks like they will pick up the items -

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Instead of dealing with yard sales, where are places to donate?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 10, 2007 12:26PM

There's a Goodwill drop-off station on Glebe Rd. I don't know their hours, but it's definitely open on weekends.

Posted by: why me ()
Date: November 10, 2007 12:36PM

ECHO in Springfield is a great organization. They are 100% volunteer staffed. No one gets paid. They are on Old Keene Mill Rd just across from the K-Mart. I do not beleive that they are open on Saturday. You can check them out at www.echo-inc.org.

Date: November 10, 2007 01:22PM

Thanks for the tips. I thought ECHO only took food??

I have spent an hour down in our back room, and so far it is mostly stuff that is new, in boxes!

I have about 7 bags of clothes so far - mostly for my girls when they were under 4.

Wherever this stuff goes, it will hopefully go to great use.

Posted by: Samaritan ()
Date: November 10, 2007 01:25PM

Salvation Army on Little River Turnpike takes donations.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 10, 2007 01:55PM

Yesterdays Rose in Fairfax on Main street or the other thrift shop in the fairfax circle. err on Lee highway called Hospice. Planet clothes a huge bin that you donate stuff on Lee highway in the parking lot of the eye glass store. its between the bail bonds place and bridges nightclub. Not sure of the address but it donates clothes, food etc. Just drop them in the bins

Date: November 10, 2007 02:11PM

Wow, some real treasures in this stuff - Taking another break...

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I am definately looking for a place that picks up vs. dropping off. I think by the time we are done, we will have 15-20 bags of stuff.

...I will have to check and see if the places take furniture as well. I found a bunch of marble and glass table sets. Some of it is from the late 80's and early 90's, but still very useful!

...looking for a tax write-off as well.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: November 10, 2007 05:04PM

Can anyone suggest a not-for-profit that will take a working and in good condition iMac? The computer is about five years old, but the OS is up to date. While not a speed demon on the internet, it would be great for young kids or someone who did not have a heavy computing need.

Echo does not take Apple products and I have struck out with several other agencies. I would like to find a shelter or similar place, if possible.

Posted by: hellothere ()
Date: November 10, 2007 05:35PM

Depending on how convenient it is, you might consider taking the kids' items to Kid to Kid in Centreville (703) 222-4595. You may have to have a time slot for drop off, but they will give you cash or store credit for children's toys, videos, clothing, books, baby equipment, etc. There's a thrift store next door (Clocktower?) that would probably take the rest. I don't mind donating, but I like cash too!

I get calls every month from Amvets and Purple Heart and they have trucks that come through to pick up and they leave a receipt on your door. The woman from Purple Heart that calls me every month is Mary Mason (202) 234-6536. I think she may get a small commission from the pickups. I know more about her that I do many of my relatives.

Posted by: chihuahuamom ()
Date: November 10, 2007 06:06PM

Purple heart is really good. They pick up and yes Mary calls us all the time too. Just bag it with a paper that says Purple heart put in it on your front porch and they will come and pick up for you. You might want to try some of the homeless shelters in Fairfax City as well. The lamb center right across from the home depot in fairfax circle always has people there looking for clothes, although I heard they were closing at some point, I just dont know when.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.