HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fresh World's Buletinboard
Posted by: Rod ()
Date: September 05, 2008 09:26PM

I like Fresh World in Reston. They have really great prices($2.75 for a pineapple $5 elsewhere, grapes $1 which is $2.50 elsewhere) and interesting food they have interesting clients but what I really like to see is an old American institution that used to be pretty common years ago, grocery store bulletin boards.

There are few bulletin boards in Reston, Safeway took theirs down as have most Starbucks which used to offer this. Lake Ann used to have a bulletin board but has locked it and just has a institutional display. Our electronic bulletin board/citizen newspaper Back fence closed down.

The Newspapers aren't upset. The Reston Association discourages public bulletinboards though technically is required to have one by law. There is nowhere other then here for candidates for public office to publicize their candidacy. The newspapers endorse thier own candidates. I consider it freedom to press thier notices on a public bulletin board.

Anyway my hats off, the the four big bulitin boards out in front of the Fresh World. There is a lot of divers notices, real estate, lawyers, cars and stuff for sale, tutors, babysitters, etc. They are a little micro slice of humanity.

Many Reston citizens, and I'm sure this is true in the rest of the county as in the name of "progress" this fundamental right going back into history is taken away, take to the streets and affix their notices to stop sign posts if they have something important to announce like running for office or a lost cat.

The Fresh World bulletinboards are getting a lot of attention. It'll be interesting to read them and see if they continue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fresh World's Buletinboard
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 05, 2008 09:43PM

Rod Wrote:
>> They are a little micro slice of humanity.

Are you meaning to tell us that Fairfax Underground isn't? :))

Seriously though- the internet is why you don't see more of that stuff around anymore.

Posted by: FrankZ ()
Date: September 05, 2008 09:45PM

Could you give me the Lawyer's names, please?

And which one you think is the best.

Thanks, :d

Posted by: Rod ()
Date: September 06, 2008 12:19PM

TheMeeper wrote: Seriously though- the Internet is why you don't see more of that stuff around anymore.

Not if you've lost your cat or as a kid want to mow lawns. Bulletinboards help build community, a much needed commodity in today's world.

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: September 06, 2008 03:02PM

I like a lot of their stuff. They have some good prices and some things I can't find anywhere else, like my favorite Lindt chocolate with Hazelnuts.

I'm not sure about their meat, though. When I get chicken breasts there, they always seem to have a pink hue, like they didn't drain enough blood. The whole chickens seem to come with the necks, and sometimes some feather spines. These might just be cosmetic issues, but it makes me wonder if their butchering is up to American standards and if they have the right sanitation type practices. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but we've heard about all sorts of problems with Chinese stuff recently.

Also, I haven't tried their hamburger, but it looks like it's a coarser grind than you would usually find in an American store.

Posted by: Meade Skelton ()
Date: September 06, 2008 03:07PM

Do they have sweet tea? How is it? I can drink two glasses of sweet tea a day but I'd like to know if it is worth a day's pay at the smoothie shop to drive up there for it and back.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 06, 2008 11:05PM

If you've lost a dog or cat near fresh world, chances are you will find it IN fresh world.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.