HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Nationals Announcers - FP Santangelo Issue
Posted by: Dr Heater Fastball ()
Date: May 04, 2013 04:29PM

I found out why the Nationals announcer FP Santangelo is so annoying to listen to. No, it's not "fastball,curve ball, inseam, slider away, inseam" being said every five seconds or sounding like a high school kid.

FP Santangelo, a switch hitter, was once hit by pitches from both sides of the plate in the same game.

Slow down the delivery FP, easy on the coffee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nationals Announcers - FP Santangelo Issue
Posted by: Jimmie Russell ()
Date: May 04, 2013 04:47PM

Dr Heater Fastball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found out why the Nationals announcer FP
> Santangelo is so annoying to listen to. No, it's
> not "fastball,curve ball, inseam, slider away,
> inseam" being said every five seconds or sounding
> like a high school kid.
>
> FP Santangelo, a switch hitter, was once hit by
> pitches from both sides of the plate in the same
> game.
>
> Slow down the delivery FP, easy on the coffee.

He is miles above that "Good Morning, Good Afternoon, and Good Night" freak that the Capitals broadcasts subject us to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 04:50PM by Jimmie Russell.

Posted by: Nostradamus ()
Date: May 04, 2013 05:45PM

I think FP does a great job. He's very insightful and has taught me a lot about the game. We are lucky to have him do Nats games.

Posted by: Bahb sux ()
Date: May 04, 2013 06:42PM

I can tolerate FP. It's Bahb Carpenter I can't stand! Such boring drivel overtalking whatever action is occurring. He should shut the fck up. The Nats radio guys are top notch, however. Why can't we get them on the boob tube?

Posted by: FP Santangelo ()
Date: May 04, 2013 07:18PM

Nostradamus Wrote:
> I think FP does a great job. He's very insightful
> and has taught me a lot about the game. We are
> lucky to have him do Nats games.

He has good information. No problem with that. Just the his delivery as an announcers needs to be worked on.

Posted by: beavis ()
Date: May 04, 2013 11:46PM

>
> game.
>

i agree, he's highly annoying. reminds me off the smart kid - at least in his own mind - in school that nobody liked. Needs to get some perspective.

Posted by: Bang that Wife ()
Date: May 05, 2013 08:01AM

I'm indifferent towards FP's skills. His best attribute is still his wife.

Posted by: fp'sfap ()
Date: May 05, 2013 08:34AM

FP is terrific. He's got a sense of humor and he's insightful. And he's married to a playboy playmate. What else do you want?

Posted by: Two and Two ()
Date: May 05, 2013 12:06PM

Got for feel sorry for FP for being paired with the bumbling idiot Howard David on FOX on Saturday. Nobody could have saved that disaster. Interesting game marred by nine innings worth of eye-rolls.

Meanwhile, the insufferable Bob and poor FP have both been caught up in a foolish attempt to pretend that all the hype was legit and the team isn't really as bad as it's played so far. Pointless. All that ever should have been said about the Nationals was that they can put a lot of talent on the field. That's what they do, but so do 6 or 8 other teams and it will be health and luck that do as much as anything to decide which ones are left standing after 162 games. The booth boys would do better just reporting the games and reading their ad copy and remembering the difference between the two.

Posted by: Dubz ()
Date: May 05, 2013 09:56PM

Yesterday's Fox telecast of the Nationals Pirates game was one of the worst called games I have heard in awhile and I hear some bad ones. Howard David who I thought did a pretty good job on the radio doing NFL games had a pretty bad game as well as FP Santangelo and his Shiny Happy People telecast. Small things Howard did like giving a Reds Cubs score of 6-4 in the 6th. when the game had gone final hours earlier. Asking FP what he thought about the Islanders Penguins game when FP knows nothing about hockey. Howard called a pitch a changeup that dropped about a foot which was a curveball. And FP forgetting the score in the 9th.when Russel Martin got thrown out trying to stretch a leadoff single into a double and saying he liked the gamble in a tie game (Nationals led 5-4) and then insisting after he realized the score that he no problem with Martin's aggressiveness. A really awkward and uncomfortable listen. And FP's overall take on Strasburg is comical. Strasburg's body language on the mound is terrible. The fact that he said on the telecast that he and Bob Carpenter never even mentioned Strasburg shaking his arm in the previous game that was on ESPN goes to show how lost these guys are. ESPN all game had mentioned how uncomfortable Strasburg looked at on the mound and how they were surprised the pitching coach didn't go out to check on their ace pitcher.

Yesterday's Fox telecast of the Nationals Pirates game was one of the worst called games I have heard in awhile and I hear some bad ones. Howard David who I thought did a pretty good job on the radio doing NFL games had a pretty bad game as well as FP Santangelo and his Shiny Happy People telecast. Small things Howard did like giving a Reds Cubs score of 6-4 in the 6th. when the game had gone final hours earlier. Asking FP what he thought about the Islanders Penguins game when FP knows nothing about hockey. Howard called a pitch a changeup that dropped about a foot which was a curveball. And FP forgetting the score in the 9th.when Russel Martin got thrown out trying to stretch a leadoff single into a double and saying he liked the gamble in a tie game (Nationals led 5-4) and then insisting after he realized the score that he no problem with Martin's aggressiveness. A really awkward and uncomfortable listen. And FP's overall take on Strasburg is comical. Strasburg's body language on the mound is terrible. The fact that he said on the telecast that he and Bob Carpenter never even mentioned Strasburg shaking his arm in the previous game that was on ESPN goes to show how lost these guys are. ESPN all game had mentioned how uncomfortable Strasburg looked at on the mound and how they were surprised the pitching coach didn't go out to check on their ace pitcher.

Posted by: natsfan16 ()
Date: May 06, 2013 05:22PM

What I hate about carpenter is that he used to be an announcer for the St. Louis Cardinals and I feel like whenever the Nats are playing them he is always pumping the cardinals up like they are way better than they are and can never do anything wrong. He just talks like someone who never played baseball past little league and doesn't know what he is talking about. I appreciate what FP brings to the table. He isn't the best announcer like he wasn't the best ballplayer, but he works his tail off. He wasn't the best baseball player and when he tells stories you can tell he appreciates where he has been because he didn't have the GOD given talent that alot of players in the bigs have. In the years they have been here he has been the best color commentator they have had. Since the Tom Paciorik and Don Sutton days they have improved a bit. In the early days I would watch the games and listen to the radio even with the delay.

Posted by: NatsFan2 ()
Date: May 06, 2013 06:17PM

FP is generally pretty good, but sure wish he'd stop calling home runs "taters". It's like nails on a chalk board

Posted by: natsfan16 ()
Date: May 06, 2013 06:23PM

Mine is "Oppo Boppo"

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: May 06, 2013 06:55PM

FP Santangelo know as much about how to swing a baseball bat as I do about quantum physics. His descriptions suck, and he often makes himself look like an idiot because he contradicts the video.

Posted by: FPfan ()
Date: May 14, 2013 02:24PM

FP is easily the best color guy in the game. He is funny, and knows baseball. And you've seen his wife right? Listen to some other teams broadcasts and you will appreciate him. Actually maybe not, some people are just happier when they are complaining.

Posted by: butthead ()
Date: May 16, 2013 09:54AM

FPfan Wrote:
> FP is easily the best color guy in the game. He is
> funny, and knows baseball. And you've seen his
> wife right? Listen to some other teams broadcasts
> and you will appreciate him. Actually maybe not,
> some people are just happier when they are
> complaining.

he's an annoying little man, a tiny know-it-all. he should have his head stuffed in a dirty toilet, like the real jocks did to him in high school. i'd rather have dribble back. at least he was fun.

Posted by: frank bryant ()
Date: June 21, 2013 07:57PM

FP and the Nats have made baseball fun again for me. Thanks FP, and Bob too.

Posted by: No Agenda ()
Date: June 21, 2013 08:51PM

I like FP's work, and think he does a good job.

Posted by: Lee Griffin ()
Date: July 13, 2013 07:34AM

I agree. Watching the Nats play this season has been as exciting as watching paint dry.

At least the banter between Bob and F.P. is entertaining, and I find, very clever and humorous. That's the only reason I continue to watch the Nats is to listen to Bob and F.P. I would have jumped ship (leagues) and become an Orioles' fan except I find the announcer to be B.O.R.I.N.G. Plus, he has a voice like fingernails on a blackboard.

Posted by: G Minetti ()
Date: August 07, 2013 10:31PM

FP is epically bad, with his "uni" for uniform, "good stuff" over minor clubhouse babble or anything remotely beyond his cup of coffee as a marginal player, plus he juiced, probably still does, based on his pysique and manic behavior. Carp's just an old-school wannabe trying to be cool and keep a job in what was a bad tv market, that should change.

Posted by: RISPAVERSE ()
Date: August 25, 2013 03:07PM

Yeah, FP's great...if you like hearing the following buzzwords and catch phrases at least 10 times a game, launched at you in hyperactive gatling-gun tempo:

-"Tater" (Is he allergic to the words "home" and "run" side-by-side?)
-"Knock"
-"'ts good stuff!/I love it!"
-"raking it" (a newly-added phrase FP's in love with, stand by for him saying this as much as he says "tater")
-"plays the game the right way"
-"center-cut"
-"features" (for the types of pitches a pitcher THROWS)
-"offer" (commonly referred to as "swing" or check swing)
-pronouncing any word that begins with "str" as "shtr"

Posted by: philwood ()
Date: August 25, 2013 04:09PM

Radio guys are NOT top notch. If you listen to them regularly, as I used to, you'll know they constantly whine and cry about the umpires calls, especially the balls/strikes...."Where was that"? is a constant whine from these unprofessional babies. They can't stop harping on it and it grates the nerves.
I stopped listening last month.
On t.v., FP's pretty good, definitely insightful, but Carpenter needs to go.
He wants to be play by play and analyst, so he repeats the shit he's learned from FP and others.
Thank God they're out of the race right now, because Carpenter would give fucking updates on the Braves game every five fucking minutes......even who's batting and how many men are on! And he gives fucking standings updates even in April, May, and June when no one gives a fuck how many games the Nats are out of 3rd place!

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: August 25, 2013 06:13PM

Take away FP's coffee and send him back to CA. He is far too much of a homer and his analysis wears off after one season.

Posted by: The Realist ()
Date: August 28, 2013 09:51AM

It's the end of August and Bob and FP are just now arriving at what had dawned on everyone else by about the end of April. This is not the same team that had a 6-0 lead in Game-5 last year and went to the top of the ninth still up by two.

Bob and FP are of course paid to sell the ball club and to pump up interest in watching and attending the games and buying team merchandise. But so are all the other announcers in the league, and few of them are such a couple of hapless sops as these two are. They've been pretending that some magical turnaround is coming for four months now. Pie in the sky in the sweet by and by. They have no credibility left at all. Makes me puke. The only thing that can actually make Bob and FP look good these days is the occasional "FOX game" when out-of-market total idiots are given a microphone and an error-filled game-notes sheet to work from. Fortunately, the Nats have pretty much crossed themselves off the list of teams that FOX has any interest in televising, so we shouldn't have to put up with much if that rot for a while. Just 30 more games of "lettin' the ball travel, lettin' it get deep, catchin' it out front". The third of those of course contradicts the first two, but FP the Hipster and motor-mouth master of affectation doesn't seem to mind.

As for the ballclub itself, they will be able to say at the beginning of 2014 the same thing they were able to say at the beginning of 2013: they can put a lot of talent of the field. But as they and all the sports-media dittoheads who had them cakewalking to the World Series this year have hopefully learned, there will be not just one but a number of teams who can make that claim, and a lot of talent doesn't necessarily translate into a lot of victories without copious amounts of hard work, positive attitude, and good luck. Whoever the Nats' next manager is will have his hands full in trying to restore all that Storen managed to fritter away.

Posted by: Nats Fan ()
Date: August 28, 2013 12:48PM

Yes, this year fell apart and the announcers were the last to know about it. Maybe they won't be back next year, but the team will and with something to prove. I'll be happy to support them and drive around with my new Curly-W license plate too!

Posted by: Know the game ()
Date: August 28, 2013 04:49PM

FPknows the game but I too get tired of his cliches. Makes me want to pull my hair out each time I hear him say things like "There goes the no hitter". He just needs to clean it up a bit because he does have insight as to what is going on. As for the Nats, what a wasted year. There is not a team that is a more fundamentally unsound team and that's the coaching staffs fault. No one can put a sacrifice bunt down to advance runners, pitchers can't hold runners on first, pitchers that do not cover first (and it's been happening all year) on a ground ball to the right side of the infield, etc. I hope "Cat" is not the next Coach because he needs to take responibility for the pitching staffs failures. Did they have any PFP's in spring training? Doesn't look like it. Rizzo has to take a lot of blame to because he got too smart for his own good. Totally trashed the chemistry they had last year and team chemistry is a big part of a successful team. The bullpen was a huge strength last year and Rizzo blew it to pieces. Stil love the Nats but what a big disappointment this has been.

Posted by: Nats Fan ()
Date: August 28, 2013 07:55PM

Is there any player who has not had a worse season this year than last? Even one? Okay, Clippard. Maybe Wilson Ramos counts. Any more? None of that is the GM's fault. Might have gone better if someone else had signed Laroche and we'd just kept Mikey Morse. He might have done better here than the .225 he's hitting in Seattle. The reason to resign Laroche of course was his Gold Glove defense, but that's simply vanished this year in tandem with an expected drop-off in offense. Also vanishing this year, the speed and defense of Danny Espinosa. But you can't hit .158 and expect to stay in the big leagues. Rendon has actually done a nice job of taking over at 2B, but he doesn't have the range or speed of Espinosa. Out in the bullpen, the three lefthanders simply left of their own accord because their stock was never going to be any higher. The desperate Brewers have been using Gorzelanny as a starter to not much affect. Burnett and Mike Gonzalez have been busts for their new ballclubs. For us, Christian Garcia who was so effective in 2012 has been out all year, Ryan Matheus decided to punch his locker, and Storen is still on stun. We missed out I think in not signing JP Howell, but nobody could outbid the Dodgers last winter and Howell is a California boy anyway. That's how it goes some years. We have some plus pieces on the way, and maybe we can turn Haren into one more by Saturday. The future still looks bright. Now if we can only get rid of Bob and FP...

Posted by: clint ()
Date: August 28, 2013 08:02PM

FP's poor use of adjectives and adverbs.....great color guy with an abundance of insight....many things that he explains are beyond my thinking, but someone has to teach him the use of adjectives and adverbs....his most common miss-use is "quick" when it should be "quickly". e.g. FP would say, "he got rid of it quick"....instead of the proper...."He got rid of it quickly" ...pls tell him adjectives modify nouns and adverbs modify verbs..
Posted by: Clint

Posted by: Dee ()
Date: September 03, 2013 09:00PM

It is so annoying listening to FP. "sitting dead red", "and what I mean by that is", "there goes the no hitter". Does he think we are all idiots? Give it a rest. Thank God for a mute button!!! I miss Dibble!

Posted by: FP is ok ()
Date: September 04, 2013 04:15PM

I dont mind FP. I think hes pretty funny and it seems like hes really having fun during the game. They have pretty good chemistry.

I cant STAND the caps radio guy John Walton. He has like a morning Zoo wacky radio voice and its so irritating to listen to. Hes the most boring person on radio and has never said one funny thing duringt a game. The guy before him was pretty bad too, but Walton is the worst of the worst.

Joe B and Craig Laughlin are the best team to watch/listen to. Great chemistry and insight into the games.

Posted by: Jim Proctor ()
Date: September 17, 2013 09:58PM

FP Santangelo is by far the most annoying color analyst in broadcasting. DC deserves better. What a pompous ass know-it-all, disingenuous bone head. Help.

Posted by: Lou ()
Date: April 16, 2014 07:41PM

New season, same crap. Every Nats hit "makes a different sound off the bat", every Nats player on any kind of a hitting streak is "hotter than anyone in the majors", every Nats out is "loud", etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

And enough of the "there goes the no hitter" bush league quip from FP. I don't care if he claims it's in honor of Felipe Alou, one of his past managers. It's bush. It's childish. It's worse than Chip Carey.

Carp and FP are so over-the-top and annoying for anything positive for the Nationals (even when they are choking away the 2013 season) that I get a quiet satisfaction when the Nats lose.

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: April 17, 2014 08:24PM

Are you kidding me, this guy F P is the worst and most annoying color man in baseball. He's such a homer that it makes people listening to him hate
the Nats. Get real, every player on the Nats are not future HOFers. Learn to tell it like it is. Stop making excuses for poor play and lousy pitcher outings. FP - if Bryce Harper or anyone else is acting like a "punk ass" say so! And when Ian Desmand tells the pitcher to throw strikes and instigates a fight - don't support his immature temper! Pitchers who always throw stikes are never successful ! It's part of the game to brush a batter back. And keeping Strausburg in the game when he's getting hammered so he learns is ridiculous. The book is not complete on Strausburg. Perhaps hes been a little over rated. One good yr. doesn't make you a superstar. I lived in the DC area for over50 yrs. I loves the Senetors, but with FP doing the games it tough to be a Nats fan.

Posted by: Frank Howard ()
Date: April 17, 2014 09:32PM

Lou Wrote:
> New season, same crap. Every Nats hit "makes a
> different sound off the bat", every Nats player on
> any kind of a hitting streak is "hotter than
> anyone in the majors", every Nats out is "loud",
> etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
>
> And enough of the "there goes the no hitter" bush
> league quip from FP. I don't care if he claims
> it's in honor of Felipe Alou, one of his past
> managers. It's bush. It's childish. It's worse
> than Chip Carey.
>
> Carp and FP are so over-the-top and annoying for
> anything positive for the Nationals (even when
> they are choking away the 2013 season) that I get
> a quiet satisfaction when the Nats lose.

So turn on the radio. But if you're not a Natonals fan, why do you even watch the games?

FP and Bob are a great team. Insightful, good rapport, good sense of humor. There goes the no-hitter is his little thing. I find it amusing that it annoys you so. And to the the criticism that they're homers? News flash... they're the home team announcers. Every home team announcer in MLB is a homer.

Posted by: Kardiac17 ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:55AM

Yep Bob and FP make the bad games bearable and the good games better. Yep they are homers but why would I want my hometeam announncing crew to be any different. I watched Strasburg's first game repeat with Rob Dibble (Dribble?) now that was awful.

Posted by: Actually... ()
Date: April 18, 2014 10:24PM

Lou Wrote:
> And enough of the "there goes the no hitter" bush
> league quip from FP. I don't care if he claims
> it's in honor of Felipe Alou, one of his past
> managers. It's bush. It's childish. It's worse
> than Chip Carey.

It might be Drew amd Mariah Carey, but it's Harry, Skip, and Chip Caray.

Posted by: Actually... ()
Date: April 18, 2014 10:34PM

Frank Howard Wrote:
> And to the the criticism> that they're homers?
> News flash... they're the home team announcers.
> Every home team announcer in MLB is a homer.

There's a difference between being an honest homer and being a witless apologist and shill. Bob and FP too consistently fail to recognize that difference. Presunmbaly every fan is a homer. We all root, root, root for the home team. But we can also see it and say it when the wheels have fallen off the home team's cart. Bob and FP can't.

Posted by: Oh Fuck... ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:31PM

Mercedes-Benz will track it.

And speaking of which, Johhny Holliday just congratulated the Nats on another come-from-bhind win in a game in which they never trailed. It's like "Through the Looking Glass" every night with these guys. Ray Knight's having called Marlins Park "carniverous" was nothing out of thr ordinary at all.

Posted by: Diogenes ()
Date: April 21, 2014 10:33PM

New drinking game:
Every time FP talks about having played baseball - take a drink.
You'll be smashed by the 3rd inning!

Posted by: TV guy ()
Date: April 21, 2014 10:48PM

I would turn down the TV sound and listen to the radio except that the radio is 10 seconds ahead of the TV.

Posted by: TGTNH ()
Date: April 21, 2014 11:20PM

Actually... Wrote:
> Lou Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And enough of the "there goes the no hitter"
> bush
> > league quip from FP. I don't care if he claims
> > it's in honor of Felipe Alou, one of his past
> > managers. It's bush. It's childish. It's
> worse
> > than Chip Carey.

That phrase was particularly bush league last year when the Nats were losing by a bunch in the late innings when they finally got their 1st hit. Come on! Really!

Posted by: Curiouser ()
Date: April 22, 2014 02:33AM

Is this thread about baseball?

Posted by: BooBraves ()
Date: May 30, 2014 01:33AM

Im in the process of inventing a drinking game. Drink each time FP says "not trying to do too much"; "every single day"; "unbelievable"; "Spanning"...

Posted by: Get A Clue ()
Date: May 30, 2014 09:48AM

natsfan16 Wrote:
> What I hate about carpenter is that he used to be
> an announcer for the St. Louis Cardinals

He was also an announcer for the Texas Rangers in 1986-89. Texas begins a bid to become the latest team to sweep the Nats this evening.

> Since the Tom Paciorik and Don Sutton days they have improved a
> bit.

Ron Darling and Don Sutton are HOF-level colormen. FP Santangelo is a gutless hipster pitchman.

Posted by: Hey, there's a clue! ()
Date: May 30, 2014 10:43AM

The Realist Wrote:
> Bob and FP are of course paid to sell the ball
> club and to pump up interest in watching and
> attending the games and buying team merchandise.
> But so are all the other announcers in the league,
> and few of them are such a couple of hapless sops
> as these two are. They've been pretending that
> some magical turnaround is coming for four months
> now. Pie in the sky in the sweet by and by.

And they're at it again this year! The team can't hit, at two games under .500, they are in third place, they've lost 7 of 10 and are realizing NONE of the sweet success that was supposed to materialize during a juicy stretch of 15 out of 19 games at home. Now they have 17 of 23 on the road and four of the home games are against Atlanta. Can we do better than 5-18 over that stretch? Maybe, but maybe not. Consider that Gio is a mess, Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann are no longer elite level pitchers at this point, and Tanner Roark will have to come back to earth. Clippard and Soriano are on suicide-watch, and now Blevins and Barrett can't get people out either. Werth and Rendon are meanwhile in a free-fall with the bats, Ramos is hitting .226, Desmond is hardly better at .234, and Harper and Zimmerman won't be back and effective for weeks. It's wait-and-see here whether we can keep the Phillies in last place all the way to the All Star break. But the sycophants Bob & FP still sensationalize every minor positive thing and pretend that this is really a quality ball club that is about to get things turned around. It's all fairy tale baseball all the time from the booth. Better to say so long to both these hacks for much more than just a little while. #BOBANDFPGONE. I like it!!! Go find someone who can deal with the plain facts.

Posted by: K Cooper ()
Date: July 13, 2014 02:04PM

Listening to them is like listening to "Baghdad Bob" and "High School Hairy". The Nationals have a quality team and are competing for a division championship. Maybe previously they needed "Homers" in the booth to keep the fan base, but at this time the fans need a competent, professional group of adult announcers (such as the post-game group) who report the action on the field and don't try to fill up every second with trivial stats, short hand slang,or make excuses for poor play, and then comment on the most menial matters. If I hear "Good Take" one more time when a professional hitter does not swing at a badly pitched ball, I'm going to go back to following the Atlanta Braves.

I follow all of the MLB teams on DirecTV, and the Nationals have by far the worst game announcers of any team.

The Nationals fans deserve better.

Posted by: Lold ()
Date: July 13, 2014 02:27PM

>
> game.
>

Or the red bull

Posted by: Santerribleangelo ()
Date: July 13, 2014 06:12PM

Santangelo used to be part of a morning show in Sacramento. He was an annoying little jerk. The show featured a segment with "Mr. Skin" on occasion and FP went out of his way to call Mr. Skin a "perv" several times during the show. Ok. Fair enough. A few days later, however, baseball wife/nut job Anna Benson did a phoner and the only thing of merit FP did was ask her about, and I quote him, her "cans." Oh, and he denied using steroids while admitting to HGH use. Riiiiiiight.

Posted by: TV Guy ()
Date: July 14, 2014 04:22PM

Ryan Zimmerman is "Capt Clutch" or "Mr Clutch"?
According to FP on Fox, that's what we all call him.
Stop! Just stop!

Posted by: Yuker ()
Date: July 14, 2014 05:24PM

TV Guy Wrote:
> Ryan Zimmerman is "Capt Clutch" or "Mr Clutch"?
> According to FP on Fox, that's what we all call
> him.
> Stop! Just stop!

Yeah, FP does make some term and then try to use it over and over. I can't stand "taders."

"He a tader there." "Three taders for him." "That wasn't a tader"

I watched 42 over the weekend and I enjoyed that annoucer. Very colorful and selected words... of course that was just movie.

Bob Yuker was a trip in Major league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wc9JvTXGc

Posted by: FP was a coach? ()
Date: July 18, 2014 08:31PM

Coach Santagelo just said that Harper should dive back into 1st using his left hand. FP talks before he thinks. If your left hand is on the base, 3 things can happen: the ball will hit you in the face; the tag will hit you in the face; or you'll get a face full of dirt. He needs to watch other players & not just concentrate on his favs.

Posted by: TV guy ()
Date: August 02, 2014 08:05PM

WOW! This is great. Problems with the Nats broadcast & we get different announcers. Even though they're the Phillies' announcers, they're doing a great job.

Date: August 02, 2014 10:37PM

The Phillies' Burnett gets tossed for his show-up jesture to the plate ump.
The Phillies' announcers explained it well, and agreed with the call.
Then, our know-it-all (Santangelo) comes back on the air and pontificates about what a bad call it was.
Why doesn't he just go away?

Posted by: KTP ()
Date: August 20, 2014 09:17PM

The Nats radio guys are enjoyable. The TV guys are merely tolerable. Taken alone, FP is just dreadful. I'm sure he's a decent human being, but I'd be pleased if he tried his hand at being a fireman or farmer--or anything for that matter. So long as he's not narrating my sports entertainment anymore, I'd be satisfied.

And, for those who might be curious, I don't like him because he is too cute. Almost effite and feminine. He's so pleased with his little observations. I can tell how much he likes himself. Can't stand it. Total metrosexual.

Posted by: FP PU ()
Date: August 20, 2014 09:49PM

KTP Wrote:
> Taken alone, FP is just dreadful. I'm sure he's a decent human being...

By all accounts he's an ass.

Posted by: Stevo ()
Date: September 13, 2014 07:45PM

Wow! Just discovered this conversation. Very interesting.
I watch and listen to a lot of baseball games all over the country. I have seen and heard dozens of announcer teams. As far as I am concerned, the DC radio guys (Sloes and Jagler) are top notch. I like them better than any I have heard across the country. As far as the TV team is concerned, Carpenter and Santangelo are clearly the best in baseball. DC is really fortunate to have two guys who are not only knowledgable but entertaining.
All these folks making negative comments clearly haven't done an objective analysis.

Posted by: m20120 ()
Date: September 13, 2014 09:37PM

We have an MLB TV subscription and we watch (and listen) to a lot of baseball. I have heard many or the current broadcast teams. Charlie and Dave are among the best when it comes to radio. After watching many other teams I have come to realize that we are fortunate to have Bob and FP. I do prefer to listen to Charlie and Dave but Bob and FP are very good.

Posted by: not top notch ()
Date: September 14, 2014 08:13AM

Charlie and Dave are not among the best. They constantly whine about the ball-strike calls by the home plate umpire.
"where was that"? "apparently, it was outside"....blah, blah, blah.
Just too much whining to be considered top notch.

Posted by: Derfx ()
Date: September 14, 2014 10:37AM

not top notch Wrote:
> Charlie and Dave are not among the best. They
> constantly whine about the ball-strike calls by
> the home plate umpire.
> "where was that"? "apparently, it was
> outside"....blah, blah, blah.
> Just too much whining to be considered top notch.

Do 150 games a year and your mind will wonder. Would you rather have Harrey Carrey?

Posted by: Jodi Bacon ()
Date: September 14, 2014 10:41AM

F P. is a kiss ass. He has always been one when he worked for KHTK in Sacramento and KNBR in San Francisco. About as bad as Trent Dilfer. Always has to tell you a story that he played the game. When I played for Expos, when I played for the Giants, etc. F.P. comes across as a guy who had a solid major league career such as: Mike Krowkow or Tim Wallach. Just retire and go home to your Playboy playmate wife.

As an announcer, F.P. is the biggest Mike Krowkow ripoff I have ever seen or heard.

Posted by: Ernie Harwell ()
Date: September 14, 2014 04:38PM

Do 150 games a year and your mind will wonder. Would you rather have Harrey Carrey?

Date: September 20, 2014 10:03PM

I think I got it figured out. Every time Santangelo is about to make up a statistic, he says "a lot of . . ."
You know, like "a lot of catchers touch their leg" and "a lot of managers do something else". Tonight, it was "a lot of batters use lighter bats at the end of the season."
Maybe some do, but who on the Nats, and how much lighter? Instead of sucking up to all the players all the time, get some facts from them instead of just making stuff up.

Posted by: Umm... ()
Date: September 20, 2014 10:20PM

Derfx Wrote:
> Would you rather have Harrey Carrey?

Harry Caray is dead at the present time, but otherwise, yes. Young Harry with the Cards wasn't all that much perhaps, but his veteran years behind the Mike for both Chicago clubs were simply priceless.

Posted by: EDrft ()
Date: September 20, 2014 10:26PM

I wasn't a fan of FP, but now he doesn't bother me so much. Not sure if FP has changed his style or I'm just riding the high of the NAT's going to the playoffs.

I just hope the NATs don't fuck up the playoffs like every other Washington team does.

Posted by: Pepto-Bismol, please... ()
Date: September 20, 2014 11:19PM

FP is the poster-boy for HSS -- Hyper-Sensationalizing Syndrome. Bob has caught a serious case of it as well. The two of them together basically make me sick with their endless everything-is-over-the-top stupidity.

Over on awfulannouncing.com, Bob & FP rated 27th (out of 30, obviously) among TV crews, as rated in more than 30,000 votes cast by fans voting only for the announcers of teams in their own local divisions. The White Sox were last in the poll (They gone!), followed by the Rockies and Cardinals. Everybody else however checked in higher than Bob & FP. They are NOT a well-regarded pair.

Posted by: Just Saying... ()
Date: September 20, 2014 11:30PM

EDrft Wrote:
> I just hope the NATs don't fuck up the playoffs
> like every other Washington team does.

Remember FP's plan last year to show the replay of Werth's Game-4 homer during every game? As if Game-5 had never happened?

Fortunately, the evidence suggests that all these things are independent trials. The Nats have very good pitching, and they have been hitting just well enough to win down the stretch. They may need to step it up a little on offense if they want to survive in October.

Posted by: There goes the [enjoyment] ()
Date: September 23, 2014 09:55PM

I know The broadcasters are hired by the home team, but . . .
And I know the Nats have a good team, but . . .
Santangelo gushes about them like a fan-boy.
He really does suck the fun out of watching the game.

Posted by: FusilliJerry ()
Date: September 23, 2014 10:19PM

Flipped by the game tonight for a minute and had to turn it. FP was talking about how he was talking to someone and telling them that "this is the best team I have ever been around!". Sounded like he was ready to go down and deep-throat the players after the if they would let him. I used to not mind them, but they wear on me now, especailly FP. He maybe worse than Craig Laughlin.

Posted by: Hey now!!! ()
Date: September 26, 2014 10:02PM

FP sayeth: "When he hits it, it stays hit."
As opposed to becoming "unhit"?
On the plus side, he won't be doing the playoffs.

Posted by: Jeff Jacobs ()
Date: August 15, 2015 12:58AM

OMB! (Oh my Buddah!)
FP doesn't stop. Enough already with the pitch by pitch analysis. He's wrong half the time, but he's still guessing. Talk about something else for crying out loud. And stop trying to coach! He coached for 1 season in the minors & then "left" for the booth. Their gain is our loss! He was a less than mediocre player and, from all appearances, a bad coach. He needs to stop trying to impress us with how much he knows. As other commentators have said, he makes half of it up (and seldom admits it if he's wrong.)
Please! Nats! Get rid of Santangelo. (And Carpender while you're at it. He adds nothing to the game.)

Posted by: Lou T. ()
Date: June 30, 2016 08:46PM

It's 3+ years after the initial posting, and these two clowns are still as annoying as ever. Every Nat fly ball is a "just missed" HR, every Nat throw is a laser, every Nat hit makes a different sound than other teams, every Nat with decent speed can "fly", yada-yada-yada. I've muted the sound on numerous occasions just to give it a rest. I assume some of the listening audience love them or they would have been long gone by now. Or maybe one of them is related to GM Rizzo.

Posted by: Please Go FP ()
Date: June 30, 2016 09:18PM

They are absolutely unbearable!

Posted by: Anthony ()
Date: July 07, 2016 10:38PM

Worst announcing pair is an understatement! Carpenter is a pompous ass who is not able to objectively critique the Nationals players no matter what the situation. Every close pitch by a Nats pitcher not called a strike is whined about, while there is never a close pitch from an opposing pitcher that doesn't require three minutes of analysis as to why it should not have been a strike including multiple looks at pitch tracker. FP Santangelo adds nothing to the broadcast other than being a lap dog fan who constantly repeats his list of clichés: "taters", "game-on", "great take" on a pitch that bounces ten feet in front of the plate, "that's a big league at bat" to remind us we are not watching Pee Wee league.......and on and on and on. He was a far better ball player than he is as an announcer which is not saying much (.245 career batting average). D.C deserves better!

Posted by: YxJuF ()
Date: July 07, 2016 10:53PM

FP looking like a super fag as usual...and they have to go on mute. Jeezus they are fucking horrible.

Posted by: Enuf Already ()
Date: September 26, 2016 10:14PM

Saying something 5 or 10 times doesn't make it more true or less true. It just makes it more annoying. I know Wilson Ramos' injury looks like it could be serious, but we don't need to hear Santangelo keep repeating that he's worried/sick/whatever. It happened. Now focus on the rest of the game. Or, better yet, just be quiet. Please.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.