HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Weblabs ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:31PM

I am running a summer camp in the months of July and August to teach students ages 12 to 18 how to design HTML5 websites. Please let me know what you think!

Website: http://unlimitlabs.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:42PM

As long as you are not too weird, it looks good to me.

_White_288.jpg


idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam



Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 07:58AM by WingNut.


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: webb ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:46PM

I think it's terrible. I had to scroll left and right to see your site. Even when scrolled all the way to the left, part of the text was missing off the page, it looked like "gn up with a friend and get $25 off." Other pages had the same problem with the contents of the black band running off the left side of the page. Also the text would not re-size. That's a big no-no.

There is too much bad Web design in the world. Can't believe you want people to pay you $300 to teach them garbage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Weblabs ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:47PM

No the instructors aren't weird. I could be doing an internship in San Diego but I figured I would stick around Fairfax for another summer. Also, the Fairfax kids need more creative technology skills than what almighty FCPS teaches them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Weblabs ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:48PM

That is because your screen size is too small.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Op888 ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:50PM

webb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it's terrible. I had to scroll left and
> right to see your site. Even when scrolled all
> the way to the left, part of the text was missing
> off the page, it looked like "gn up with a friend
> and get $25 off." Other pages had the same
> problem with the contents of the black band
> running off the left side of the page. Also the
> text would not re-size. That's a big no-no.
>
> There is too much bad Web design in the world.
> Can't believe you want people to pay you $300 to
> teach them garbage.


Is your screen size less than 11 inches?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:50PM

Weblabs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No the instructors aren't weird. I could be doing
> an internship in San Diego but I figured I would
> stick around Fairfax for another summer. Also, the
> Fairfax kids need more creative technology skills
> than what almighty FCPS teaches them.


I know, just fucking with you.

Site looked good to me, is it Dreamweaver you teach?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: webb ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:56PM

Op888 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> webb Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think it's terrible. I had to scroll left
> and
> > right to see your site. Even when scrolled all
> > the way to the left, part of the text was
> missing
> > off the page, it looked like "gn up with a
> friend
> > and get $25 off." Other pages had the same
> > problem with the contents of the black band
> > running off the left side of the page. Also
> the
> > text would not re-size. That's a big no-no.
> >
> > There is too much bad Web design in the world.
> > Can't believe you want people to pay you $300
> to
> > teach them garbage.
>
>
> Is your screen size less than 11 inches?

Actually the screen is 1280 x 1024 and the actual size is irrelevant. But you should not design a web site for only a high-resolution screen.

Moreover, when the browser window is made smaller, all the content should still be visible by scrolling. For some reason I can only see all the content when the browser is maximized, and when made smaller it seems to slide off the screen -- can't even scroll to it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Weblabs ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:58PM

We teach simple HTML5 manipulation and mostly front end stuff; a little dreamweaver, a little AJAX.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: webb ()
Date: May 02, 2013 12:02AM

So, why does the text not re-size?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Weblabs ()
Date: May 02, 2013 12:02AM

webb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Op888 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > webb Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I think it's terrible. I had to scroll left
> > and
> > > right to see your site. Even when scrolled
> all
> > > the way to the left, part of the text was
> > missing
> > > off the page, it looked like "gn up with a
> > friend
> > > and get $25 off." Other pages had the same
> > > problem with the contents of the black band
> > > running off the left side of the page. Also
> > the
> > > text would not re-size. That's a big no-no.
> > >
> > > There is too much bad Web design in the
> world.
> > > Can't believe you want people to pay you $300
> > to
> > > teach them garbage.
> >
> >
> > Is your screen size less than 11 inches?
>
> Actually the screen is 1280 x 1024 and the actual
> size is irrelevant. But you should not design a
> web site for only a high-resolution screen.
>
> Moreover, when the browser window is made smaller,
> all the content should still be visible by
> scrolling. For some reason I can only see all the
> content when the browser is maximized, and when
> made smaller it seems to slide off the screen --
> can't even scroll to it.

Yeah maybe I should be teaching simple html. But we're ahead of the curve on HTML5 so there will obviously need to be changes along the way as browsers make it standard. Thanks for your critique I am working on the automatic text resizing right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: JoeBob ()
Date: May 02, 2013 12:12AM

I like the site you have. Personally, I come from the old-school though of web development, as I like to actually do HTML using a plain old text editor.

Also, I once spent the summer in downtown San Diego. It is refreshing to see that you picked Fairfax to teach teens rather than beach coming Coronado Island on your off time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: webb ()
Date: May 02, 2013 12:30AM

Weblabs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> webb Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Op888 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > webb Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > I think it's terrible. I had to scroll
> left
> > > and
> > > > right to see your site. Even when scrolled
> > all
> > > > the way to the left, part of the text was
> > > missing
> > > > off the page, it looked like "gn up with a
> > > friend
> > > > and get $25 off." Other pages had the same
> > > > problem with the contents of the black band
> > > > running off the left side of the page.
> Also
> > > the
> > > > text would not re-size. That's a big
> no-no.
> > > >
> > > > There is too much bad Web design in the
> > world.
> > > > Can't believe you want people to pay you
> $300
> > > to
> > > > teach them garbage.
> > >
> > >
> > > Is your screen size less than 11 inches?
> >
> > Actually the screen is 1280 x 1024 and the
> actual
> > size is irrelevant. But you should not design
> a
> > web site for only a high-resolution screen.
> >
> > Moreover, when the browser window is made
> smaller,
> > all the content should still be visible by
> > scrolling. For some reason I can only see all
> the
> > content when the browser is maximized, and when
> > made smaller it seems to slide off the screen
> --
> > can't even scroll to it.
>
> Yeah maybe I should be teaching simple html. But
> we're ahead of the curve on HTML5 so there will
> obviously need to be changes along the way as
> browsers make it standard. Thanks for your
> critique I am working on the automatic text
> resizing right now.

Also by the way I was using IE8 to look for problems. But it had the same problem in Google Chrome. You should always check output in all major browsers and operating system. Even with the browser window maximized there is still a small amount of room on the horizontal scroll bar in at 1280 x 1024, 19" screen. Two-directional scrolling is considered undesirable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Weblabs ()
Date: May 02, 2013 12:31AM

JoeBob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the site you have. Personally, I come from
> the old-school though of web development, as I
> like to actually do HTML using a plain old text
> editor.
>
> Also, I once spent the summer in downtown San
> Diego. It is refreshing to see that you picked
> Fairfax to teach teens rather than beach coming
> Coronado Island on your off time.


Thank you for your kind words. We are planning to offer some free HTML5 clinics on Saturdays as well if you are interested.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: GordonBlvd ()
Date: May 02, 2013 12:33AM

Please fix your html errors, and I may consider sending my kid.




Result: 9 Errors, 1 warning(s)


http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unlimitlabs.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Weblabs ()
Date: May 02, 2013 12:37AM

On it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Mark Shens ()
Date: August 03, 2020 04:11AM

I think if you need website design, you can find designer for example on freelance and hire he or she. In such case you will save some money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WEBSITE DESIGN SUMMER CAMP FOR STUDENTS
Posted by: Bertrangh ()
Date: August 03, 2020 04:19AM

Good afternoon. What exactly features do you want to implement on your site? There are so many different tools for website development nowadays, so you should choose software according to your needs. I can recommend good developers from Dteam company. They work with all modern technologies and can create any website for you. Here you can check details - link.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********         **  **     **  ********  ********  
 **     **        **  **     **  **        **     ** 
 **     **        **  **     **  **        **     ** 
 ********         **  *********  ******    **     ** 
 **     **  **    **  **     **  **        **     ** 
 **     **  **    **  **     **  **        **     ** 
 ********    ******   **     **  ********  ********  
This forum powered by Phorum.