HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Springfield Towncenter Update
Posted by: curiousgeorge ()
Date: April 27, 2013 10:57PM

Vornado just released this video earlier this week updating us on what to expect.

Thoughts?

http://www.springfieldtowncenter.com/Spring_Video.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Springfield Towncenter Update
Posted by: Mclovin ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:03AM

wow opening mid 2014 not bad

Posted by: Allah Snackbar ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:25AM

Yawn. Lipstick on a pig.

Posted by: meh... ()
Date: April 28, 2013 01:05AM

Same local shit hole, just spruced up.

Posted by: C.E. Smith IV ()
Date: April 28, 2013 01:17AM

Wow! A movie theatre, food court, and a small library with real books. Innovative!!!

Posted by: JoJo Simpson ()
Date: April 28, 2013 04:40AM

So where is the town center?

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: April 28, 2013 06:28AM

Didn't see the MS-13 drinking 4locos staring you down in that video.

Posted by: Typical American ()
Date: April 28, 2013 08:44AM

What's with flipping the map so that South is on the top? Weak.

Posted by: same ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:22AM

What is supposed to be different about it? It looks basically the same as it did before.

Posted by: Mclovin ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:33AM

the name change is the biggest difference which is misleading.
it looks like they took the cheapest / quickest route to do this project lol.

Posted by: same ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:58AM

I am not a big shopper and try to avoid all shopping malls as much as possible. They are all the same as far as I'm concerned, except for the ones that charge for parking, which I am more likely to avoid.

An open air "town center" looks good on paper until the wind, rain, snow, and slush comes, or the 90 degree and 90% humidity days in summer. An enclosed area makes more sense.

Posted by: SpringfieldRules ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:36PM

See all you haters soon :). Actually, this is good all the shitty Fairfaxians from boring shitty areas can stay away.

Springfield town center, this is just the beginning. You can only wish it was you.

Posted by: PG Raider ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:50PM

SpringfieldRules Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> See all you haters soon :). Actually, this is
> good all the shitty Fairfaxians from boring shitty
> areas can stay away.
>
> Springfield town center, this is just the
> beginning. You can only wish it was you.

All I wants to know is if they goneabee a walk way directly from the Metro so eyes can make my escape. Silk hat on a pig and all that.

Posted by: jef3r ()
Date: April 28, 2013 03:02PM

I don't understand the library. That's weird. The rest of it? Nothing new. Sounds like they're just sprucing up what already existed.

The TRUE test of whether or not anyone will shop here is the type of stores they put in. That whole mall went to shit as soon as they started putting in all those ghetto ass stores that catered to those who like all their clothes to be all sparkly and neon and crap. You want to draw the affluent crowed (which I can only assume is their purpose since they spent the whole first half of the video talking about how wealthy the county is) you put in Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Gap, etc, NOT Lucaya, Hot Topic, and shit.

Posted by: Can't Wait! ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:28PM

This looks nice! Is it replacing the Springfield mall?

Posted by: huh ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:33PM

Can't Wait! Wrote:
> This looks nice! Is it replacing the Springfield
> mall?

It looks like it IS the Springfield mall. No major change, just a lot of veneer/cosmetics.

Posted by: WTF???? ()
Date: April 29, 2013 08:51AM

ROFLMAO! This is a joke right! Upscale anchor stores, Macy's, Target, and JCP? Not one of those stores is upscale and the JCP is on its last legs! Maybe if there was a Nordstrom's, Saks, or Bloomingdale's at STC they could talk about upscale.

Wasn't the original design supposed to be an open concept similar to Reston Town Center? Looks like the same old mall where MS-13 from little El Salvador will be hanging.

A Kid's library so families can spend time together WTF is that? And they keep touting the multiplex movie theater. Is that the highlight of the new Springfield Town Center?

A mid 2014 opening, looks like the are speeding things up to finish the project quickly so they can flip it, since Vornado announced last year they were going to sell off their shopping mall holdings to focus on office buildings.

I predict Vornado will walk away from the project this fall and Fairfax County Taxpayers will be picking up the tab.

Posted by: kevster ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:14AM

Whoever did this promo video needs to know their map is upside down. Unless DC is now south of Springfield.

We'll see what the "real thing" looks like, videos like this tend to be proof of concept showing the ideal. Hope that the new mall can attract some decent restaraunts too.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:26AM

Better not be another lame-ass "gun-free zone".

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: April 29, 2013 12:15PM

It looks almost exactly like Tysons

Posted by: Old Tysons ()
Date: April 29, 2013 02:17PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> It looks almost exactly like Tysons

Old Tysons maybe. Looks more like DUlles Town Center to me. Vast seas of parking lot as far as the eye can see. Now that is urban transformation!

Posted by: B8 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 02:48PM

Yawn. I also didn't see an 'Orange Julius' in the renderings...

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 29, 2013 05:43PM

Why bother? It looks like they are simply building a new version of the old Springfield Mall.

Posted by: don't care ()
Date: April 29, 2013 06:48PM

Well it's more than just paint and trim- have you gone to Target recently? They've gutted everything next door down to the I-beams.

Too bad Macy's and probably Penny's too OWN their stores so they couldn't be closed down, moved, or changed for a better place.

I remember when "SPRINGFEST" food court was the new big thing. Boardwalk fries was the only decent outcome from that. And I do miss getting lit at Bennighans.

Posted by: Capt.20 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 09:42PM

I hope they keep the Pizza Delight and the taco place...

Posted by: Kart-O-Gopher ()
Date: April 29, 2013 09:57PM

Typical American Wrote:
> What's with flipping the map so that South is on
> the top? Weak.

Seriously, what the holy hell is that? Who the fuck does that, and who lets that slide? At least half a dozen assholes saw that map and didn't say anything. Maybe the developers are Australian?

Posted by: SpringfieldRules ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:00PM

I could see light streaming down looking at it from the food court side from the west side. They didn't just strip the whole thing down to the I beams, they've done a lot of excavating too. They created a pit around the structure. This is a top down renovation.

Posted by: Sprinfield Refugee ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:13PM

curiousgeorge Wrote:
> Vornado just released this video earlier this week
> updating us on what to expect.
>
>
> Thoughts?
>
> http://www.springfieldtowncenter.com/Spring_Video.
> html

Let's break down that video, shall we?

1. "Springfield Mall is easily accessible from the area's high income neighborhoods."

LOL. Yeah, sure. I don't see high income yuppie types from Tysons, Burke, or Arlington putting "Springfield Mall" on their yuppie to-do list. And I highly doubt that blue booded WASPS from DC and Alexandria are going to think of "Springfield" when it comes to satisfying their needs. LOL LOL.

Hey wait! Why didn't the video indicate any of the area's "high income neighborhoods" anywhere near the Springfield Mall? You mean it might be surrounded by a barrio? You don't say........

2. Springfield Mall is "undergoing a complete redevelopment."

Really? The earlier concept art was for some sort of 60's/70's style outdoor shopping center place. And now the video proceeds to show us concept art that looks like... the old Springfield Mall. But it has a giant staircase so that's different.

3. "When finished, it will be the southside's premier shopping destination."

The "southside?" What the fuck is the southside? I have lived in Fairfax County for 40 years and have never heard anything in this region called "the southside." Southside refers to the wastelands between Richmond and Danville. "Southside." LOL

4. The last aerial view showing Target: Where the fuck is the Silver Diner. You people better not be fucking with the Silver Diner.

5. Valet parking?

LOL. It's fucking Springfield.

6. "Ample inline space."

Sounds like the old Springfield Mall.

7. Kids' library in the middle of the mall?

This is actually really nice idea.

Sadly, this is an idea that the local population of wetbacks will destroy within weeks. Hello, filthy, germ-ridden, torn, and destroyed books.

Summary: The designs look like... get this... the old Springfield Mall. But with a little spit and polish.

And building that in the middle of a decayed barrio seems a bit Quixotic at best. You'll have a shiny, gleaming facade that will be rapidly overrun by human trash just like the last Springfield Mall.

Posted by: yo quier taco bell ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:25PM

Springfield Town Center is going to be so fucking rad that shoppers are wading through hell and high water to get there!!!!

invaders1.jpgillegal-immigrants-water.jpgIllegal-Immigration.jpgillegal-immigrants.jpgillegal-immigrants.jpg

Posted by: the white store ()
Date: April 30, 2013 08:36PM

If you click on NEW VISION and scroll through the artist's conceptual art, do you notices something very funny about all of the humans depicted?

Doesn't look like Springfield Mall patrons, that's for sure.

Posted by: letmetellyou ()
Date: May 01, 2013 10:48AM

Let me tell you about yourselves you bored ass loser fucks. You will come to Springfield mall again and again like the little bitches you are. So do us all a favor and shut your cockholsters. Dumbass's talk in shit for no reason. All these shit talkers will be there opening day and two week intervals to see store and food court openings from then. Great new stores with a better new environment will of course change the dynamic.

And no one will remember all the haters. Why, because they'll be the first mall rats in there. So shut your fuckin hole until its complete.

If you build it, they will come. Especially the fat useless users on this forum.

Posted by: FairfaxNative ()
Date: May 01, 2013 11:24AM

I worked at the original Springfield Mall (V.1) during my college years in the late 70's. Back then, they had a multiplex cinema, a food court, a.....hey, wait a minute. Isn't that what they're proposing now? Quick, someone take me out of the "wayback" machine.

This will end up as nothing more than new digs for the same old crowd that caused people to stay away from Springfield Mall (V.2) in the first place. Okay, thumbs up for the renovation, but why should I shop here again?

Posted by: another native ()
Date: May 01, 2013 03:56PM

SSDD - except for that kids library. Please, I'd never take my kid into that bacteria distribution center. Exchange the white marble 2010s look for the brown brick 1970s look and you can see it's the same damn mall all over again. (Ooh, look! Shiney!) And what was that BS about NoVa not having a fashion center? Hello, Tysons Fashion Galleria (useless, over-priced hole that it is), hello Pentagon City, hello Fairfax Town Center, etc etc etc. Maybe the only way to finally get rid of the Time-Out Tunnel and Spencer's Gifts, was to tear down the building around their ears.

That video seems to be pointed at northern investors - love the south-at-the-top arial view - like an invasion map.

No matter what they put in there, proximity to the Metro, local low-income housing, and massive competition from satellite malls, and the fact that I can get everything they will sell there on Amazon for far less, is going to hugely affect their potential for getting any higher end stores in there. Target and JCP as anchors? Good lord. JCP just issued a public apology for having changed - mutated more like.

I'll probably go just once just after the paint has dried to check it out, but that's probably it.

Date: May 01, 2013 04:02PM

letmetellyou Wrote:
> So shut your fuckin hole until its complete.
>
> If you build it, they will come. Especially the
> fat useless users on this forum.

Some day when you've forgotten this forum and they've forgotten all about you I'm gonna be there. That's right.
Attachments:
vernon.png

Posted by: Swedish McDonalds ()
Date: May 01, 2013 10:10PM

Welcome to the new Springfield Mall, same as the old Springfield Mall!

I'll admit that I do enjoy watching the demolition crew make progress. Springfield Mall, like the entire area surrounding it, is an object lesson on why obtaining a CHP is a good idea.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: May 08, 2013 01:49AM

Vornado just released its earnings report today. They spent 8.8 million dollars on Springfield Mall between January and March alone. I assume those were the initial demolition costs. I figured they'd be really high. Turns out that Vornado also has projected expenses of 225 million dollars on Springfield Mall through 2014. A quarter billion dollar mall renovation. That's some serious cash.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: May 08, 2013 01:50AM

Oh yeah, here's the link and text, almost forgot.

http://kingstowne.patch.com/articles/vornado-expected-to-spend-225-million-on-springfield-mall-renovations-by-middle-of-next-year

Between Jan. 1 and March 31, Vornado Realty Trust spent $8.8 million on the Springfield Mall renovation, which is more than the company has spent on any other projects in its pipeline, according to the Washington Business Journal.

The transformation of the Springfield Mall into the Springfield Town Center is expected to cost Vornado $225 million by the middle of 2014.

When completed, the new town center will be 1.3 million sq. ft., accessible to about 800,000 people with an estimated household income of more than $117,000 a year and growing, according to the Vornado website.

Some features, Springfield and surrounding area residents should expect, include a multi-screen cinema, a new main entrance with valet parking, a health club, 700-seat food court, multiple kids' areas throughout the property and more than 7,600 parking spaces.

Posted by: It's still Springfield ()
Date: May 08, 2013 09:17AM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> Oh yeah, here's the link and text, almost forgot.
>
>
> http://kingstowne.patch.com/articles/vornado-expec
> ted-to-spend-225-million-on-springfield-mall-renov
> ations-by-middle-of-next-year
>
> Between Jan. 1 and March 31, Vornado Realty Trust
> spent $8.8 million on the Springfield Mall
> renovation, which is more than the company has
> spent on any other projects in its pipeline,
> according to the Washington Business Journal.
>
> The transformation of the Springfield Mall into
> the Springfield Town Center is expected to cost
> Vornado $225 million by the middle of 2014.
>
> When completed, the new town center will be 1.3
> million sq. ft., accessible to about 800,000
> people with an estimated household income of more
> than $117,000 a year and growing, according to the
> Vornado website.
>
> Some features, Springfield and surrounding area
> residents should expect, include a multi-screen
> cinema, a new main entrance with valet parking, a
> health club, 700-seat food court, multiple kids'
> areas throughout the property and more than 7,600
> parking spaces.

No shooting range?

Vornado Realty to Spend $225 Million on Springfield Mall Renovations by 2014
Posted by: Bob the Builder ()
Date: May 08, 2013 09:21AM

Vornado Realty to Spend $225 Million on Springfield Mall Renovations by 2014
The company released its quarterly earnings report Monday.
http://burke.patch.com/articles/vornado-realty-to-spend-225-million-on-springfield-mall-renovations-by-2014

Between Jan. 1 and March 31, Vornado Realty Trust spent $8.8 million on the Springfield Mall renovation, which is more than the company has spent on any other projects in its pipeline, according to the Washington Business Journal.

The transformation of the Springfield Mall into the Springfield Town Center is expected to cost Vornado $225 million by the middle of 2014.

When completed, the new town center will be 1.3 million sq. ft., accessible to about 800,000 people with an estimated household income of more than $117,000 a year and growing, according to the Vornado website.

Some features, Springfield and surrounding area residents should expect, include a multi-screen cinema, a new main entrance with valet parking, a health club, 700-seat food court, multiple kids' areas throughout the property and more than 7,600 parking spaces.

Vornado recently released a preview video of the upcoming Springfield Town Center.

The Springfield Mall is currently going through major renovations in preparation of its opening next summer. Macy's, JCPenney and Target are still open during construction.
Attachments:
3be4fe56b027ec2a1e60f9a3751df676.jpg
4b205b6dfa963c5da37226716624962f.jpg
fcc161832e5c40a2825c15ed2225146b.jpg
12c87179c8642ab9ec986795e2b49dab.jpg

Posted by: serious question for vornados ()
Date: May 08, 2013 09:56AM

All I want to know is if these four pillars of Springfield Mall will return:

- Sarku
- Arby's
- Orange Julius
- Time Out

And what about that creepy fish store with the sick and depressed-looking fish in the kiddie pools, the soaked floor, and bad smell? That place wasn't a pillar of the mall. But it captured the true essence of the locale.

Thank you.

Posted by: In the know... ()
Date: May 08, 2013 10:18AM

serious question for vornados Wrote:
> All I want to know is if these four pillars of
> Springfield Mall will return:
>
> - Sarku
> - Arby's
> - Orange Julius
> - Time Out
>
> And what about that creepy fish store with the
> sick and depressed-looking fish in the kiddie
> pools, the soaked floor, and bad smell? That place
> wasn't a pillar of the mall. But it captured the
> true essence of the locale.
>
> Thank you.

Right now it looks like only Macy's, JC Penny's, and Target are confirmed to be there.

Posted by: YOYOYOYO ()
Date: May 08, 2013 10:33AM

Renovated Springfield Mall Library artist conception

Posted by: YOYOYOYO ()
Date: May 08, 2013 10:34AM

tis a shame, these three brothers were planning to check out the grand opening

Posted by: aefew ()
Date: May 08, 2013 10:40AM

The Springfield groper is planning to work at the newly renovated food court

Posted by: Negroponte ()
Date: May 08, 2013 09:43PM

I'm sure it's gonna look grand and new and sparkly when it opens. then the niggers and beaners will show up, people will get shot, and it's going to turn into the same ghetto shithole it's always been.

10 years later, demolish, rebuild, repeat.

Posted by: Mallosauruses ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:14PM

Now that Springfield Mall is temporarily (lol) offline, what mall has taken the title of the area's most decrepit mall?

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: May 16, 2013 03:13PM

Landmark

Posted by: matt 703 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 02:03PM

Enrico Palazzo Wrote:
> Didn't see the MS-13 drinking 4locos staring you
> down in that video.

Agreed! why would they do that??

Posted by: Andy123 ()
Date: June 17, 2013 10:22PM

PG Raider Wrote:
> SpringfieldRules Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > See all you haters soon :). Actually, this is
> > good all the shitty Fairfaxians from boring
> shitty
> > areas can stay away.
> >
> > Springfield town center, this is just the
> > beginning. You can only wish it was you.
>
> All I wants to know is if they goneabee a walk way
> directly from the Metro so eyes can make my
> escape. Silk hat on a pig and all that.

@PG Raider - What kind of idiot wrote this comment? People like this should not be allowed to exist with the rest of us. You stay over in PG, you are just to stupid to be around normal people.

Posted by: Homer ()
Date: June 17, 2013 10:57PM

WTF???? Wrote:
> ROFLMAO! This is a joke right! Upscale anchor
> stores, Macy's, Target, and JCP? Not one of those
> stores is upscale and the JCP is on its last legs!
> Maybe if there was a Nordstrom's, Saks, or
> Bloomingdale's at STC they could talk about
> upscale.
>
> Wasn't the original design supposed to be an open
> concept similar to Reston Town Center? Looks like
> the same old mall where MS-13 from little El
> Salvador will be hanging.
>
> A Kid's library so families can spend time
> together WTF is that? And they keep touting the
> multiplex movie theater. Is that the highlight of
> the new Springfield Town Center?
>
> A mid 2014 opening, looks like the are speeding
> things up to finish the project quickly so they
> can flip it, since Vornado announced last year
> they were going to sell off their shopping mall
> holdings to focus on office buildings.
>
> I predict Vornado will walk away from the project
> this fall and Fairfax County Taxpayers will be
> picking up the tab.

Why do people on the forum always make the same dumb comments:

"the mall will never be redeveloped"

This was the regular comment BEFORE the mall began getting redeveloped

"the new stores are not upscale"

Is this going to be Tysons? No, Tysons is one of the nicest malls in the country so don't plan on it. It will obviously be better than it was, probably on par with Pentagon City Mall. I'm good with that, it is significantly better than the old mall.

They are just polishing up the old mall "lipstick on a pig"

Are you blind? They have demolished 75% of the old mall down to the steal beams. How is that lipstick on a pig?

Then there are the dumb comments like this one, "I predict Vornado will walk away from the project this fall and Fairfax County Taxpayers will be picking up the tab."

I'm just curious what this idiot bases his opinion on? Yes, Vornado is selling alot of their old enclosed malls, however they also state that Springfield Mall is in a significantly underserved area with an affluent population. And large publicly traded companies do not typically walk away from $100+ million investments ($36mil option + $80 mil to purchase, not including redevelopment).

Also, if this area is so shitty and overrun by crime, why do all of us who own $800,000 homes live around here? Sure there are obviously some older neighborhoods, but there also plenty of expensive ones as well.

Oh yeah, I guess Wegmans must have also punted when they chose this area for their new store. Seems very ironic that 2 large, very successful companies, independently concluded that this area was ripe for development.

Posted by: interesting ()
Date: June 17, 2013 11:33PM

Target and JC Penneys are not upscale by a long shot. The mall was never that great, but it did have better stores in times past. It looks like it will remain enclosed, which is fine with me. The open-air looks nice in presentations, until you take the local weather into account with oppressively hot muggy summer and cold rainy winter days which makes enclosed shopping much more practical. I'm sure the "kids library" will not last...

Posted by: lipstick pig ()
Date: June 18, 2013 12:05AM

Homer Wrote:
> Also, if this area is so shitty and overrun by
> crime, why do all of us who own $800,000 homes
> live around here? Sure there are obviously some
> older neighborhoods, but there also plenty of
> expensive ones as well.

Because yuppie white folk are fucking stupid that's why.

Posted by: "what a fool believes" ()
Date: June 18, 2013 03:25AM

Homer Wrote:
> WTF???? Wrote:
> -----
> > ROFLMAO! This is a joke right! Upscale anchor
> > stores, Macy's, Target, and JCP? Not one of
> those
> > stores is upscale and the JCP is on its last
> legs!
> > Maybe if there was a Nordstrom's, Saks, or
> > Bloomingdale's at STC they could talk about
> > upscale.
> >
> > Wasn't the original design supposed to be an
> open
> > concept similar to Reston Town Center? Looks
> like
> > the same old mall where MS-13 from little El
> > Salvador will be hanging.
> >
> > A Kid's library so families can spend time
> > together WTF is that? And they keep touting
> the
> > multiplex movie theater. Is that the highlight
> of
> > the new Springfield Town Center?
> >
> > A mid 2014 opening, looks like the are speeding
> > things up to finish the project quickly so they
> > can flip it, since Vornado announced last year
> > they were going to sell off their shopping mall
> > holdings to focus on office buildings.
> >
> > I predict Vornado will walk away from the
> project
> > this fall and Fairfax County Taxpayers will be
> > picking up the tab.
>
> Why do people on the forum always make the same
> dumb comments:
>
> "the mall will never be redeveloped"
>
> This was the regular comment BEFORE the mall began
> getting redeveloped
>
> "the new stores are not upscale"
>
> Is this going to be Tysons? No, Tysons is one of
> the nicest malls in the country so don't plan on
> it. It will obviously be better than it was,
> probably on par with Pentagon City Mall. I'm good
> with that, it is significantly better than the old
> mall.
>
> They are just polishing up the old mall "lipstick
> on a pig"
>
> Are you blind? They have demolished 75% of the
> old mall down to the steal beams. How is that
> lipstick on a pig?
>
> Then there are the dumb comments like this one, "I
> predict Vornado will walk away from the project
> this fall and Fairfax County Taxpayers will be
> picking up the tab."
>
> I'm just curious what this idiot bases his opinion
> on? Yes, Vornado is selling alot of their old
> enclosed malls, however they also state that
> Springfield Mall is in a significantly underserved
> area with an affluent population. And large
> publicly traded companies do not typically walk
> away from $100+ million investments ($36mil option
> + $80 mil to purchase, not including
> redevelopment).
>
> Also, if this area is so shitty and overrun by
> crime, why do all of us who own $800,000 homes
> live around here? Sure there are obviously some
> older neighborhoods, but there also plenty of
> expensive ones as well.
>
> Oh yeah, I guess Wegmans must have also punted
> when they chose this area for their new store.
> Seems very ironic that 2 large, very successful
> companies, independently concluded that this area
> was ripe for development.

Believers believe while realists laugh. Who would spend 800k for a house around Springfield? And admit to it?
Vorando is dragging their feet with construction. If you take a look at the oringinal design and what's being built Vorando has already pulled the hood over the publics eye.
Ripe for development? How about REdevelopment. Big difference.
All roads lead away from Springfield.

Posted by: Springfield drive-by ()
Date: June 18, 2013 07:17AM

Springfield is only sixty years old and working on it's third redevelopment.
This happens when your community isn't taken seriously so the area ends up with third rate developers.
Kingstowne is a major joke and only fools would buy.
The road system has been designed to avert traffic away and thru Springfield.
Typical fast food drivethru type town.

Posted by: admit it ()
Date: June 18, 2013 07:24AM

"what a fool believes" Wrote:

> Believers believe while realists laugh. Who would
> spend 800k for a house around Springfield? And
> admit to it?
> Vorando is dragging their feet with construction.
> If you take a look at the oringinal design and
> what's being built Vorando has already pulled the
> hood over the publics eye.
> Ripe for development? How about REdevelopment. Big
> difference.
> All roads lead away from Springfield.

Maybe not in downtown Springfield itself, but there are some very nice places within a fairly close radius. It's an excellent location easy to get to and convenient to all parts of the metro area due to the central location.

Posted by: 495 fixed it? ()
Date: June 18, 2013 10:37AM

Maybe the FBI building will help

Posted by: Mall Beuraeu ()
Date: June 18, 2013 01:15PM

495 fixed it? Wrote:
> Maybe the FBI building will help

Put it on the mall site. Thats where all the crime is anyways

Posted by: Springfielding ()
Date: June 18, 2013 07:47PM

Look, the guy who said that the stores selected to be constructed will determine the demographics is half right...but it won't hold true in this area. I live in Springfield, and it's though it's not freaking Compton like some on this forum would have you believe, parts are certainly not great. Heavy, heavy immigrant population, massive McMansions sprouting up in upper-lower class neighborhoods, with 16 cars parked in front. Yes, there are a lot of Latinos. I'm not the biggest fan, but I try to be amicable when possible and just go about my business. That said, there are crime problems. Gangs aren't a huge issue these days but just do a quick crime search in the area. For Burke, you get traffic tickets and petty crime. Search Commerce Street, and you get drunk in public, assault/battery, schedule 2 drugs, etc. That's just the tip of the iceberg. It's not racism, it's facts. Like so many others, it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

So the big question is, if you do put in GAP's and Banana Republics instead of Time Out's and Hot Topic's....what happens? Do the latinos stop coming? Will middle class whites really go here instead of Fair Oaks or Potomac Mills? Will it draw upper-middle class from Tyson's? Probably not. Leopard can't change it's spots. It will take years, possibly decades to "revitalize" Springfield, and it seems it will continue to be kind of run down, too urbanized compared to other suburbs, and too heavy on immigrants. That's just the truth.

Posted by: Neiman Marco ()
Date: June 18, 2013 07:58PM

Springfielding Wrote:
> Look, the guy who said that the stores selected to
> be constructed will determine the demographics is
> half right...but it won't hold true in this area.
> I live in Springfield, and it's though it's not
> freaking Compton like some on this forum would
> have you believe, parts are certainly not great.
> Heavy, heavy immigrant population, massive
> McMansions sprouting up in upper-lower class
> neighborhoods, with 16 cars parked in front. Yes,
> there are a lot of Latinos. I'm not the biggest
> fan, but I try to be amicable when possible and
> just go about my business. That said, there are
> crime problems. Gangs aren't a huge issue these
> days but just do a quick crime search in the area.
> For Burke, you get traffic tickets and petty
> crime. Search Commerce Street, and you get drunk
> in public, assault/battery, schedule 2 drugs, etc.
> That's just the tip of the iceberg. It's not
> racism, it's facts. Like so many others, it's like
> putting lipstick on a pig.
>
> So the big question is, if you do put in GAP's and
> Banana Republics instead of Time Out's and Hot
> Topic's....what happens? Do the latinos stop
> coming? Will middle class whites really go here
> instead of Fair Oaks or Potomac Mills? Will it
> draw upper-middle class from Tyson's? Probably
> not. Leopard can't change it's spots. It will take
> years, possibly decades to "revitalize"
> Springfield, and it seems it will continue to be
> kind of run down, too urbanized compared to other
> suburbs, and too heavy on immigrants. That's just
> the truth.

Thanks.

Posted by: awfsasdfasdfsdf ()
Date: June 18, 2013 10:40PM

If they really want to change the character of the mall, they need to build it elsewhere...as in another town.

Pull back troops. Springfield has been lost. Grab the flag on the way out. We are nuking it from orbit.

Posted by: Onward to Dale City ()
Date: June 19, 2013 11:26AM

awfsasdfasdfsdf Wrote:
> If they really want to change the character of the
> mall, they need to build it elsewhere...as in
> another town.
>
> Pull back troops. Springfield has been lost.
> Grab the flag on the way out. We are nuking it
> from orbit.

The entire Route 1 corridor sucks

Posted by: Don't Stop ()
Date: June 20, 2013 08:52AM

Continue demolishing and plant trees. Allow the field to have a spring.

Posted by: Springfield ()
Date: June 23, 2013 08:56PM

These people making idiotic comments are just jealous of the new Town Center.

Posted by: Homer ()
Date: June 23, 2013 10:15PM

"what a fool believes" Wrote:

>
> Believers believe while realists laugh. Who would
> spend 800k for a house around Springfield? And
> admit to it?
> Vorando is dragging their feet with construction.
> If you take a look at the oringinal design and
> what's being built Vorando has already pulled the
> hood over the publics eye.
> Ripe for development? How about REdevelopment. Big
> difference.
> All roads lead away from Springfield.

maybe I should go spend 900K in Fairfax or 1 mil in Arl. 800k in Kingstowne seems like a deal comparatively.

Posted by: oldguy ()
Date: June 23, 2013 10:46PM

They need to make a place where a middle-class, middle-aged woman of any ethnicity will feel SAFE. Probably won't happen in beautiful downtown Springfield.

Posted by: N2466L ()
Date: June 23, 2013 10:49PM

Homer Wrote:
> "what a fool believes" Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > Believers believe while realists laugh. Who
> would
> > spend 800k for a house around Springfield? And
> > admit to it?
> > Vorando is dragging their feet with
> construction.
> > If you take a look at the oringinal design and
> > what's being built Vorando has already pulled
> the
> > hood over the publics eye.
> > Ripe for development? How about REdevelopment.
> Big
> > difference.
> > All roads lead away from Springfield.
>
>
> maybe I should go spend 900K in Fairfax or 1 mil
> in Arl. 800k in Kingstowne seems like a deal
> comparatively.

The "undocumented guest workers" are concentrated east of Byron Avenue. There are some nice places west of there, by the country club and in Burke.

Posted by: Do I Caugh or Do I Go? ()
Date: June 24, 2013 04:15PM

What about TB? Just a stones throw from Lee High School.

Posted by: The Who ()
Date: June 24, 2013 09:16PM

Swedish McDonalds Wrote:
> Welcome to the new Springfield Mall, same as the
> old Springfield Mall!
>

I'll tip my hat to it's new constitution
Take a bow for the new renovation
Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Meet the new Mall
Same as the old Mall

Date: June 24, 2013 09:34PM

Definitely a CCW zone!

Posted by: Chris Hayfilds ()
Date: June 29, 2013 12:36AM

God you people are so ignorant. Not all of Springfield are Latinos and if they are that doesn't mean they are poor. My nieghbor is Latino and owns the second biggest garage parking in DC. Stop being so racist, stop being so mean, stop being ignorant.

Posted by: Mariam misbehavior ()
Date: June 29, 2013 12:41AM

Example why this could work.

Mosaic (Merrifield)

Posted by: L4t1in K1ngz ()
Date: June 29, 2013 01:27AM

Hey anyone no if they gun have a pepboys or autozone in de new mall?

Posted by: Stacy ()
Date: July 20, 2013 07:37PM

It would be nice if it were an upscale Theater like Angelika in Merrifield.

Posted by: uhhhhh ()
Date: July 20, 2013 10:22PM

Mariam misbehavior Wrote:
> Example why this could work.
>
> Mosaic (Merrifield)

*cough* HOMO *cough*

Posted by: yourmom ()
Date: July 20, 2013 11:26PM

Who gives a fuck about the dump that's called Springfield?

Posted by: Jimbo McSpringfield ()
Date: July 31, 2013 03:01PM

I'm sorry, but this project looks incredibly lame. It's basically an indoor mall exactly like the last one. The only chance this project had was making it look as close to Shirlington/Clarendon as possible. Instead, they shit the bed and called it a new mall. How could this happen? Did the developers not realize that Tyson's is only about 10 miles away? You stay local for a local feel, They should have built Shirlington Part Two.

Posted by: derf ()
Date: July 31, 2013 03:24PM

Wait a minute, where's the office and condos? I was thinking it's gonna be like Reston Town Center. Besides, without stores like Hong Kong and Time-out, what the fuck is the difference between Mall and Town Center?

Posted by: derf ()
Date: July 31, 2013 03:27PM

Acutally it does remind me of Landmark Mall, and look what happened there!

Posted by: Hook,lineand.........stinker ()
Date: July 31, 2013 03:32PM

The ain't gonna finnish the mall. Default on the loans and buy back pennies on the dollar. Vorando did it before. This is why the open mall concept was changed and Vorando is dragging their feet. One year later and still demolishing the site. What you see is probably what you gonna get.
Good location for the Federal Bureau of Idiots

Posted by: Coach Carter ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:30PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/2013/08/springfield-mall-reopening-now-late.html

The reopening of Springfield Mall as the Springfield Town Center has been pushed back to late 2014. Vornado’s second quarter earnings call Wednesday offered the most detail yet on leasing activity at the Springfield Town Center, that is, the retitled Springfield Mall.

Stephen Theriot, Vornado’s chief financial officer, said the company has “almost completed” its restaurant leasing, has a dozen “very important lead tenants” lined up for the mall shops and is more than 50 percent committed for the 450,000-square-foot shop section.

One of the anchors, Theriot suggests, is Dick’s Sporting Goods.
“So we’re more than satisfied with the leasing progress,” he said. But shoppers will have to wait. Steven Roth, Vornado’s CEO, said Springfield Town Center is “now on schedule for a holiday 2014 opening.” Until recently, the mall, which was shuttered in July 2012 for its $225 million makeover, was slated to welcome its first customers by the middle of next year.

Posted by: WCuKG ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:35PM

Everyone knows what killed Springfield Mall.

Posted by: realistic plan ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:36PM

Bulldoze Springfield Mall and leave the parking garages for Metro commuter parking.

Posted by: Dead Mall Getting Deader ()
Date: August 18, 2013 06:25PM

A breaking Springfield Mall update!

The mall "re-opening" has been pushed back by ~ 6 months.

The newly high-class mall has hinted that it has attracted a big-name retailer that really fits well with the glitzy, high-end image that they and their local county board toadies have been yapping about all these years...

The up-scale retailer that Springfield Mall is so happy to report *may* sign a lease?

Dick's Sporting Goods.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. That's sure "upscale," alright.

"Champagne wishes and caviar dreams," indeed.

Posted by: TPDVh ()
Date: August 18, 2013 11:33PM

What other incredible retailers are lining up for Springfield Mall II: Same As The Old Shithole?

Anybody want to bet that the retailers that have already expressed interest consist of:

Nail salons

Weird fish dealers with their fish displayed in kiddie pools

Shady terrorists selling rugs with permament signs advertising "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS CLEARANCE SALE"

Creepy sci-fi store with greasy nerds playing D&D in it

1 or 2 Shady $1 stores run by shady Ethiopians

A weird Chinese massage place

Carpeting store

A bed store

Tacky Asian decor store

One of those "We Buy Gold" places

Hot Topic and/or Spencer's

Hair Weave salon

One of those weird places that tweezes terrorist bitches' bushy uni-eyebrows with dental floss

Any other places you can think of?

Posted by: Jake Blues ()
Date: August 19, 2013 06:34AM

It needs a baby clothes store and Pier One Imports, then that place has got everything!

Posted by: Oh Jose, Can You See? ()
Date: August 19, 2013 08:04AM

Emporio Armani, Vuitton, Burberry, Chanel, Neiman Marcus, Saks 5th Avenue - I think it's safe to say that none of these upscale retailers (or anybody else in their tier) will be resident at El Mall de Espringfield.

A Fairfax County Police satellite office is far more likely.

In fact, I suspect that the fresh and exciting list of retailers at the fancy new Springfield Mall are probably the same as this list here: http://www.landmarkmall.com/directory.html.

But with valet parking so yuppies with cheap 3-series BMWs can try to feel important.

Posted by: Unsourced Reports ()
Date: August 19, 2013 09:08AM

Dead Mall Getting Deader Wrote:
> A breaking Springfield Mall update!
>
> The mall "re-opening" has been pushed back by ~ 6
> months.
>
> The newly high-class mall has hinted that it has
> attracted a big-name retailer that really fits
> well with the glitzy, high-end image that they and
> their local county board toadies have been yapping
> about all these years...
>
> The up-scale retailer that Springfield Mall is so
> happy to report *may* sign a lease?
>
> Dick's Sporting Goods.
>
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
> That's sure "upscale," alright.
>
> "Champagne wishes and caviar dreams," indeed.

Source?

Posted by: 12XU ()
Date: August 19, 2013 09:17AM

Unsourced Reports Wrote:
> Dead Mall Getting Deader Wrote:
> -----
> > A breaking Springfield Mall update!
> >
> > The mall "re-opening" has been pushed back by ~
> 6
> > months.
> >
> > The newly high-class mall has hinted that it
> has
> > attracted a big-name retailer that really fits
> > well with the glitzy, high-end image that they
> and
> > their local county board toadies have been
> yapping
> > about all these years...
> >
> > The up-scale retailer that Springfield Mall is
> so
> > happy to report *may* sign a lease?
> >
> > Dick's Sporting Goods.
> >
> >
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
>
> > That's sure "upscale," alright.
> >
> > "Champagne wishes and caviar dreams," indeed.
>
> Source?

Look above DMGD's post. During their quarterly earnings call with investors, Vornado hinted that Dick's is possibly interested.

Let me guess, Target on one side, Macy's and Penney's on the other. And Dick's anchoring the third side. Just like Sports Authority used to, right? Sounds like they're essentially bringing back the same mall as before.

As long as the great Hudson Trail Outfitters returns, that would be a-okay with me. And Arby's and Sarku, too.

Posted by: "Won't be fooled again" ()
Date: August 19, 2013 10:18AM

Welcome to the new mall,
Same as the mall.

Differant entrance and theaters are in another location.
It's been forty two years since we last visited the moon.
The oringinal mall opened in "73.

Date: August 19, 2013 01:27PM

Will there be a title loan shop?

Posted by: Time Out ()
Date: August 19, 2013 01:37PM

Bring back Time Out and Time Out 2 and an Orange Julius, and all will be fine.

Posted by: Bring Back the HTO ()
Date: August 19, 2013 01:44PM

LOL re: title loan shop. Probably. Bracketed by a Payday Loans store and another one of the generic pollo a la brasa places.

I heard that the Tysons has a Tesla Motors storefront, adding to its upscale cachet. Do you think that the new Springfield Mall might include something along those lines? An Eastern Motors outlet perhaps?

Posted by: Sprindfield Mall was my home lol ()
Date: October 09, 2013 12:57PM

I have no idea what stores will be in there, but I would like to see stores like ColdWater Creek and Christopherand Banks.

Posted by: Springfield Mall- My 2nd Home ()
Date: October 09, 2013 01:11PM

yo quier taco bell Wrote:
> Springfield Town Center is going to be so fucking
> rad that shoppers are wading through hell and high
> water to get there!!!!
>
> src="http://www.the-two-malcontents.com/wp-content
> /uploads/invaders1.jpg">
>
> src="http://thunderations.files.wordpress.com/2010
> /07/illegal-immigrants-water.jpg">
>
> src="http://www.ukraine-consultant.com/wp-content/
> uploads/2010/02/Illegal-Immigration.jpg">
>
> src="http://www.dirtandseeds.com/wordpress/wp-cont
> ent/uploads/2011/04/illegal-immigrants.jpg">
>
> src="http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/opinionzone/fi
> les/2011/08/illegal-immigrants.jpg">

LOL Dude!! I grow up with this mall,and as much as I love it, and think of it as my second home. Even I won't go that far to go shop there. Although, when you get there, you don't have to fight over a parking space. I would go and buy some dry clothes and a hair dryer before going sopping tho. LOL

Posted by: Siege ()
Date: October 09, 2013 02:11PM

Just hope no one gets stabbed or terrorists get IDs there to fly planes into buildings anymore.

Posted by: USGS ()
Date: October 09, 2013 04:25PM

kevster Wrote:
> Whoever did this promo video needs to know their
> map is upside down. Unless DC is now south of
> Springfield.
>
> We'll see what the "real thing" looks like, videos
> like this tend to be proof of concept showing the
> ideal. Hope that the new mall can attract some
> decent restaraunts too.

That was the first thing that I noticed! When did Woodbridge move north of Landmark?

Posted by: What Mall? ()
Date: October 09, 2013 04:56PM

They ain't gonna finish it. Vornado is up to their old tricks again.

Posted by: Springfield Mall LOL ()
Date: October 09, 2013 08:52PM

What Mall? Wrote:
> They ain't gonna finish it. Vornado is up to their
> old tricks again.

They supposedly have Dick's Sporting Goods as an anchor store. C'mon they're bringing in such high-class retailers, of course they will finish the job.

They'll finish the job, all right. But the area will end up with the same dumpy, crime-ridden mess that we had before. Why will it be a dumpy, crime-ridden mess? Because despite the new walls and fresh paint, the mall will reflect the surrounding area.

Posted by: Mr. White ()
Date: October 09, 2013 09:37PM

Springfield Mall LOL Wrote:
> What Mall? Wrote:
> -----
> > They ain't gonna finish it. Vornado is up to
> their
> > old tricks again.
>
> They supposedly have Dick's Sporting Goods as an
> anchor store. C'mon they're bringing in such
> high-class retailers, of course they will finish
> the job.
>
> They'll finish the job, all right. But the area
> will end up with the same dumpy, crime-ridden mess
> that we had before. Why will it be a dumpy,
> crime-ridden mess? Because despite the new walls
> and fresh paint, the mall will reflect the
> surrounding area.

I think the problem isn't the surrounding area as much as the nearby Metro station. Makes it easy for the darkies to get there

Posted by: Mall Question ()
Date: October 11, 2013 07:44AM

Will the mall have an Urgent Care facility for the parking lot rape and shooting victims? That might get more customers than any of the planned retail facilities.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.