HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
traffic citation
Posted by: mike ()
Date: February 02, 2006 08:12PM

I was just written up for speeding, 51 in a 35 under law section "82-4-10". I couldn't find this on the ffx county prepayable offenses site. Any idea what the specifics of this offense are and what the fine might be? It's not listed on the fine sheet the officer gave me either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: traffic citation
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 02, 2006 08:29PM

where did you get the ticket

Posted by: Sexy1 ()
Date: February 02, 2006 08:45PM

mike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was just written up for speeding, 51 in a 35
> under law section "82-4-10". I couldn't find this
> on the ffx county prepayable offenses site. Any
> idea what the specifics of this offense are and
> what the fine might be? It's not listed on the
> fine sheet the officer gave me either.

Poor baby. Who really gives a shit. Get a life.

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: February 02, 2006 08:56PM

It's the Fairfax County code for speeding. It's the same fine as the state code. You can call the number on the reverse of the summons for the precise fine amount applicable to your offense.

Date: February 02, 2006 08:57PM

hunter mill road this morning, two motorcycle cops with LIDAR guns

haha i need to know the specifics because i don't know how much to pay otherwise -- but thanks for the constructive comment. it seems most similar to the "speeding other than residence zone, highway work zone & school crosswalk" fine listed on the sheet, which is $5/mph over. the law section number doesn't match though.

Date: February 02, 2006 08:58PM

Thanks! I'll do that.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 03, 2006 01:38PM

if it's not prepayable then you have to go to court. they will charge you plenty, dont worry.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Price ()
Date: February 03, 2006 08:52PM

mike Wrote:
> I was just written up for speeding, 51 in a 35

Go to court and negotiate with the prosecutor to have it reduced to <10 or at least <15 mph in exchange of paying as for the full 51 in a 35 fine. Less point and it will hurt your insurance rating less (depends on how your insurance, of course)

Date: February 03, 2006 09:50PM

he'd have to get it reduced to under ten to get he three point hit instead of the four, sure, but either way, if he takes the any points hit (51 in a 35 is 4) he can still go to driving school and come out +1 or maybe +2 if he tries hard in court.

I did the class over the net in a few hours and went and took an easy test at a kinkos, for five plus points.

Or he could go to court, if he has a spotless record, and explain to the judge that it was an aberration, and he will probably walk on the charge completely if he promises the judge emphatically that he'll never do it again. No gaurantees, but I've seen it happen dozens of times through the years during my numerous traffic court appearances.

Date: February 03, 2006 09:52PM

I also recommend showing up in court with a spliff hanging out of your mouth, and offer the judge a few hits.

Posted by: WashingToneLoc-ian ()
Date: February 03, 2006 10:50PM

Dumbass. Go 35 next time.

Posted by: Sexy1 ()
Date: February 03, 2006 11:12PM

WashingToneLoc-ian Wrote:
> Dumbass. Go 35 next time.

Well said WashingToneLoc-ian. These poor little babies crying over being punished for doing wrong. Sickening.

Date: February 03, 2006 11:14PM

just wondering, what time of day was this?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: February 03, 2006 11:14PM

breaking an arbitrary law != wrong

mad mad, JD In His Own Words Is A Pedophil
Posted by: Tina3 ()
Date: February 04, 2006 07:39AM

For a pervert that gets off on 16 year children, you have no room to talk!!

"16 is legal in many states, and being attracted to a fully developed woman is hardly pedophilia."

Date: February 04, 2006 12:27PM

whatever, like every country in europe is 16. some countries 14.

Date: February 04, 2006 01:00PM

In VA a 12-year-old girl can legally have sex if she is married, so all you need is a ring and a promise and you're halfway there, Gravis.

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: February 04, 2006 06:42PM

old enough to bleed ...

Date: February 04, 2006 06:54PM

I'd just like to point out that I was never "crying" about getting this ticket -- I fully intend to prepay it online, I was just curious as to how much that would be. Thanks for the advice on going to court.

This was at 7:55AM on Hunter Mill Road in north Reston, there were two Fairfax County motorcycle cops with LIDAR guns parked in the driveway to the Reston Zoo, pulling over as many cars as they could handle. This flat stretch is pretty much the only part of Hunter Mill where I even could have been going 51 in my SUV.

Thanks again for the helpful replies...but some people here just need to grow up.

Date: February 04, 2006 07:11PM

wtf does it matter how much it is? you still have to pay it.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: February 04, 2006 07:23PM

mike Wrote:
..but some
> people here just need to grow up.

We hear that a lot.

Posted by: WashingToneLoc-ian ()
Date: February 04, 2006 10:52PM

mike Wrote:
>
>
> Thanks again for the helpful replies...but some
> people here just need to grow up.

Grown ups obey the law. That stretch of road is a two lane highway. The speed limit is 35 for a reason. If someone gets into trouble, you have nowhere to go but into trees or oncoming traffic. Please grow up and go the speed limit before you do some harm.

Date: February 04, 2006 11:16PM

actually, if you had read my post about where this happened, you would know that there is a center lane for turning there (3 lanes) and this is a long flat high-visibility stretch. i also said it is the only place on hunter mill where i would/could have gone that speed. "grown ups obey the law" haha right.

i was wondering how much it is because on the fine sheet it could either fall under the residential category or the general category, and since the law sections didn't match at all i was confused. the residential designation would add more than $200 to the ticket, so i would fight it if that were the case. this is also my first traffic ticket of any sort, first time i've even been pulled over, so i wasn't quite clear on the process.

i figured this was a good place to ask, but apparently i was mistaken. thanks again though to those of you who were polite and helpful, and best wishes to the fairfax underground community.

Date: February 04, 2006 11:27PM

WashingToneLoc-ian Wrote:
> Grown ups obey the law.

hahaha! where do you live, bizarro world?

Posted by: got caught too ()
Date: March 08, 2010 08:25PM

Section 82-4-1. Reckless driving generally.
Irrespective of the maximum speeds provided in this Chapter, any person who drives a vehicle upon a highway
recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person shall be
guilty of reckless driving; provided, that the driving of a motor vehicle in violation of any speed limit provision
of Section 82-4-10 shall not of itself constitute ground for prosecution for reckless driving under this
Section. Reckless driving shall be unlawful. ((3-13-63; 1961 Code, § 16-62.)

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: March 08, 2010 09:27PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> I also recommend showing up in court with a spliff
> hanging out of your mouth, and offer the judge a
> few hits.

Dead@ "spliff"!

Posted by: XXX ()
Date: March 09, 2010 07:53AM

Mike

If you look at the ticket, where the 82-4-1 code is written, there should be a state code listed next to it. They usually write the ticket under the county code and show the state code that it mirrors right next to it.

May look like this 82-4-1 (46.2-852)

Va code 46.2-852 is the code for General Reckless Driving.

This is not prepayable and you must appear in court.

If you look at the ticket a little closer, under the signature line, you should also see that the paragraph with a check box next to that reads

You may avoid coming to court only if this box is checked and all instructions on the Defendant's copy are followed.

That box should not be checked or the whole paragraph may be scratched out.

Good luck.. Hope this helps

Posted by: theSicilian ()
Date: March 09, 2010 08:43AM

Hope this helps?
The dude got the ticket in February 2006!

Recycle bottles, not posts...

Posted by: OutOfTownVisitor ()
Date: June 16, 2010 03:21PM

Afraid I too could not decifer how much I owned. Worried what code 82-4-10 meant since there were no other codes nor was it on the information sheet I had to call to verify.

My calculation based on the described charge and using the information sheet was different?

Talk about backwards, why can't they do what every other state does, write the fine charge on the ticket. I won't even start with the "Processing Fee".

Know it's too late for the OP but people trying to figure this out will find it as I did over the internet.

Posted by: Duh! ()
Date: June 16, 2010 08:54PM

OutOfTownVisitor Wrote:
>
> Talk about backwards, why can't they do what every
> other state does, write the fine charge on the
> ticket. I won't even start with the "Processing
> Fee".
>
Because it's $5 for each mph over the limit, normally. You can't expect FCPD's finest to do that much arithmetic.

Posted by: caught ()
Date: April 11, 2012 08:39PM

I was charged with 82-4-10. He wrote me for 70 in a 50mph zone. The officer said that this is a county code and it is payable without going to court and it would not be reportrd to DMV. I called the court and was informed that once the ticket comes in, they assign the state code to it. However I can call the court and tell them to charge me by the county code and come back on the court date and receive a fine from the judge. This way it is not reportable to DMV, Can anyone shed any light on this confusing situation. The box is checked saying it is payable and I do not have to come to court.

Posted by: not_member_here ()
Date: April 20, 2012 11:55PM

@caught

Interesting, I was charged with the same, 82-4-10. 51 in a 35.

The officer told me the same thing; that he wrote this as a violation of country and not state, thus, no points would be removed deducted from my records.

I too am curious to learn how true this is. I googled this case, but this forum was the best I found. Please keep me posted. Thanks.

Posted by: Lynn ()
Date: May 02, 2012 12:03AM

Here's the scoop on the unusual information re: tickets written recently for speeding violations of FFx Cty code section 82-4-10:

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors action is requested on May 1, 2012, to provide sufficient time to advertise a proposed hearing on May 22, 2012 at 4:00 p.m. If approved by the Board after the public hearing, these provisions will become effective immediately.
BACKGROUND:
County Code Section 82-4-10, “Speed limits” currently allows police officers to charge the county code for general speeding violations rather than its related state code section, Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-878. Due to a pending change to the state records management system used by the General District Court, a conviction under County Code Section 82-4-10 will result in the fines being allocated to the County but without any corresponding demerit points assessed to the drivers’ record allocated by the Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) – a significant traffic safety issue. In the past, the Office of the County Attorney has opined that because Virginia Code Section 46.2-878 addressed the authority to change speed limits - a responsibility of the Commonwealth Transportation Commissioner and those localities that have jurisdiction over their roadways – the County could not incorporate it into County Code Section 82-1-6. Moreover, County Code Section 82-4-10 contained the same prohibitions as in the corresponding state code section, Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-878. Recently, the
Commonwealth’s Attorney has expressed concern about charging County Code Section
82-4-10 rather than Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-878. Given the change to the state’s records management system and the concern of the Commonwealth’s Attorney, the Fairfax County Attorney’s Office believes that Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-878 should now be incorporated by reference into County Code Section 82-1-6. Doing so will alleviate the concerns of the Commonwealth’s Attorney while at the same time allowing fines to be allocated to the County and demerit points to be assessed by DMV.

Posted by: Lynn ()
Date: May 02, 2012 12:12AM

More history on this - apparently the Board of Supervisors has been kicking this idea around since at least mid 2010, below is an administrative agenda item from their July 2010 meeting:

Admin 11: Authorization to advertise a public hearing on amendments to the
Code of the County of Fairfax, Chapter 82, Motor Vehicles and Traffic, Section 82-4-10, Maximum Speed Limits. Board action is requested to provide sufficient time to advertise the proposed hearing on September 14, 2010, at 4:30 p.m. to advertise a public hearing to consider amending Chapter 82, Motor Vehicles and Traffic of the Code of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, dealing with maximum speed limits in posted zones. To ensure that violations of Virginia Code Section 46.2-878 - exceeding posted speed limits - can be charged under the County ordinance, it is proposed that Section 82-4-10 be amended and readopted with language incorporated from Section 46.2-878.

Posted by: smiles ()
Date: August 16, 2012 11:13PM

Hello,

I got a traffic citation at the county level with no points for failing to read the sign "No Right Turn on Red". I definitely didn't see the sign else I wouldn't have turned.

I was set on going to traffic court to get it resolved but my oath is in 2 days and my court day is a month and half away.

I don't want to postpone the oath ceremony. My record and file is pretty clean without any CMTs, etc.

Do I have any alternatives or my only choice is to pay and move on?

Any help or insight is appreciated.

thanks

do the crime? pay the fine!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: August 17, 2012 12:01AM

I mean , you said you didnt see the sign that was obviously there, y'know?

Posted by: actually!!!! ()
Date: August 17, 2012 03:07AM

Just wondering the same thing as you smiles, but for not stopping enough at a stop sign that intersects with a dead end street where exactly two people live. i've read that what happens in court depends entirely on the judge in ffx county and that only people w/lawyers have gotten their charges reduced or dismissed. can you get a continuance a week before the hearing date?

Posted by: Bill S. ()
Date: August 17, 2012 09:18AM

Sexy1 Wrote:
> WashingToneLoc-ian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dumbass. Go 35 next time.
>
>
> Well said WashingToneLoc-ian. These poor little
> babies crying over being punished for doing wrong.
> Sickening.

UnSexy1, I wish you would be banished form the forum as it's clear you have little add with your 6th grade education.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.