HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
if there are zero illegal aliens in Fairfax County, how will it affect the county's economy?
Posted by: Martine ()
Date: August 22, 2008 02:10PM

if there are zero illegal aliens in Fairfax County, how will it affect the county's economy?

only educated opinions, please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: if there are zero illegal aliens in Fairfax County, how will it affect the county's economy?
Posted by: Mrs. K ()
Date: August 22, 2008 02:30PM

In my educated opinion (and I do have a masters in public administration) there will never be "zero illegal aliens" in Fairfax County. There will always be some, but the numbers will vary based on the carrots and sticks used to either keep them here or drive them away.

While it may be difficult to gage exactly how many are here currently (since the county apparently did away with it's own study on that) I suspect that for current and future planning purposes, the county does have some estimated numbers in mind.

Another educated opinion is that you are a troll looking to stir the pot on the illegal immigration issue.

Re: if there are zero illegal aliens in Fairfax County, how will it affect the county's economy?
Posted by: edumacated opinionated ()
Date: August 22, 2008 02:37PM

crime goes down, prices go up.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 22, 2008 02:40PM

Property values will go up and neighborhoods will be revitalized.
Crime will go down considerably and our schools will not be so
overcrowded. ESOL classes will be drastically reduced.

Posted by: Gerry "the welcome mat" Connolly ()
Date: August 22, 2008 03:53PM

Martine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if there are zero illegal aliens in Fairfax
> County, how will it affect the county's economy?
>
> only educated opinions, please.

I recommend rewording the question:

"if there are zero illegal aliens in Fairfax County, how will it effect the legal citizen taxpayers in the county?"

only educated opinions, please.

Posted by: Margie ()
Date: August 22, 2008 10:43PM

Teenagers would be able to find entry level jobs.

Posted by: Hold the pickles ()
Date: August 22, 2008 10:49PM

The guy at the drive thru would speak english, I could order a burger with no pickles and actually get one.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: August 22, 2008 11:52PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 10:16PM by Alias.

Posted by: NativeAmerican ()
Date: August 23, 2008 01:35AM

Americans who live in economically depressed areas will be able
to relocate here and find employment.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: August 23, 2008 08:47PM

So I guess in the 1970s, when there were few/no illegals, everyone must have had jobs!

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: August 23, 2008 10:42PM

]=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 10:13PM by Alias.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: August 24, 2008 12:48AM

Hold the pickles Wrote:
> The guy at the drive thru would speak english, I
> could order a burger with no pickles and actually
> get one.

hahaha, I listen to Air America and WMAL. Air America hardly ever brings up Illegal Aliens and when they do they seem to approach the problem in a reasonable factual way.

WMAL _ especially Grandy and Andy, seem to talk about it everyday!

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: August 24, 2008 08:56PM

Here's my take (although the number will not ever reach zero, but could, with enforcement, precipitously decline):

1. Wage inflation for entry level jobs. Studies suggest illegal immigration depresses wage levels by at least 7%. This likely would benefit: i) any number minority groups who in particular compete to step on the first step of the labor market; and ii) high school and college students. Competitive pressures may even cause an extension of fringe benefits - a good thing, I think. And the labor costs would be tied closer to the relevant economic activity - meaning that us taxpayers and the Government would no longer help subsidize businesses through the use of cheaper, illegal labor. Illegal immigration is a form of exploitative corporate welfare - typically something the left would resist but for the rather obvious incentives to garnish a hard core constituency of voters. Businesses such as restaurants would suffer, as well as a few others - but the labor market would be permitted to clear and reach an equilibrium - again, a good thing.

2. Over time, a significant reduction in: i) education costs; and ii) health care and welfare costs. This would cause dislocation in employment, as teachers and some health care workers would in the short find less demand for their services (although a true progressive would take those resources and help existing students meet the huge education crisis in minority communities). But notwithstanding the obvious concerns of special interests such as teachers unions and the like the cost savings would be significant, especially in health care, where illegals often use the most expensive and least efficient form of delivery.

3. Don't forget that intergenerational poverty is expensive - to the extent that illegal immigrants pay taxes, many, especially given the latest wave of immigrants that appear to lack an assimilationist bent, qualify for earned income credits and the like that incur costs to the fisc. This is of course why any form of wholesale amnesty would be very expensive. In any event, over time local governments would discover a significant amount of budget and cost relief - a good thing, I think.

4. Likely less crime and social dysfunction, although how much is open to question. But to the extent any class or group of people brings with them (statistically) negative externalities, likely there would be a reduction in crime and dysfunction. Certainly elimination of groups like MS-13 - who commit serious crimes and impose all sorts of costs way out of proportion to their number, would be a very good thing.

5. Increased regard for the rule of law would have any number of salutary effects on our culture. Many ignore this, but I think exceedingly vital to the maintenance of a political economy based on the rule of law.

Note that these thoughts are not a political argument per se, just one's man's view of the economics of the situation. Economically speaking, rigorous enforcement makes for a fairly compelling case. This is of course why pols such as Connolly refrain from analyzing anything of this sort - it is better politically to deny (or be delusional) that material costs are incurred.

Posted by: spunky2 ()
Date: August 30, 2008 11:17PM

Less drug trafficking, hence less money flowing through the economy and crime. The gangs are targeting "OWLS"(Old white ladies) in crimes of robberies and worse. I have been robbed several times and I am fed up! Men are called; HOGS (Horny old guys). The huge gay population in this area is also being fueled by Latino gay whores, which there seems to be no limit to, as well as human slave trafficking of children, mainly from Latin America. There's a lot of money being made on a huge scale illegally right under our noses by illegals, while we turn a blind eye, why? Greed! Illegals are like invisible people, we; American citizens, Fairfax citizens are defenseless practically to this element. Our laws are protecting them more then us, and they are breaking our laws left and right, to get here and to stay. The majority of illegals have spouses in their native country and then create second families again here for the financial benefits they can reap from our government. The majority will lie for their greater good, as evidenced by their lack of respect for our laws and continued breaking of our laws(ex.driving without a license, no insurance, drinking and driving, crime...)

I am disgusted that our government will not protect us. Illegals bring diseases into our country and now measles and polio are on the raise. The economic hardship of supporting this group of people who don't even assimilate will be far worse then the conflict Bush's lies put us in. Who's running this country anyway? Our country and its resources will not be able to sustain the population explosion we face as a result of the influx of these illegals, and legals, and their families. Where's the end of it all? We have already seen through this tough economy that our county, among the richest in the world, has it's limits, and as such we are a role model for the entire nation.

It wasn't that long ago really that people with what they considered at the time loving Christian principles, forced the Native Americans off their lands in this country. We don't like to talk about it, or think about it and it's hardly mentioned in the history books of our children anymore, but neither are alot of things that really happened. Think about it, even today Native Americans are still treated badly, worse then illegals, and they are not a drain on our economy, just our conscious. This land was there's and they were removed from it wrongfully, why aren't we sending illegals back yesterday?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2008 07:41PM by spunky2.

Posted by: PresaCanario ()
Date: August 31, 2008 10:24PM

Emergency rooms would be a lot more uncrowded.

Overall crime would go down.

Builders would have to pay decent wages.

I don't see a downside.

Posted by: Rich ()
Date: September 01, 2008 06:18PM

So why is there no apparent effort to rid the county of this problem and who are they players?

Posted by: Rich ()
Date: September 01, 2008 08:45PM

Better question: Who would support an effort to eliminate this problem?

Date: September 02, 2008 07:45PM

I suggest "We the people", start a petition now and present it to our representatives in Congress, and force them to enforce the law and protect us. They work for us!

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 02, 2008 09:21PM

Spunky would have nothing to write about.....

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 03, 2008 08:40AM

spunky2 Wrote:
> I suggest "We the people", start a petition now
> and present it to our representatives in Congress,
> and force them to enforce the law and protect us.
> They work for us!

a petition? wow, that's a worthless idea. if you want an issue to be addressed, you must vote a person into power who will do what you want.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2008 08:57AM by Gravis.

Date: September 03, 2008 09:15AM

OK guys, where are your ideas? It's really easy to shoot'em down can you put'em up? I'm not talk'in about your southern heads either, which is apparently the only one you use to think. Ha!

Posted by: bean counting chicken ()
Date: September 24, 2016 05:56AM

Illegal aliens are key to our economy, we need them.

Posted by: Highland school senior ()
Date: September 24, 2016 08:51AM

bean counting chicken Wrote:
> Illegal aliens are key to our economy, we need
> them.

Illegal alien is not the preferred nomenclature. Undocumented American please.

Posted by: love boat ()
Date: September 24, 2016 09:14AM

the bushes will be a little furrier

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: September 24, 2016 09:26AM

Mrs. K Wrote:
> In my educated opinion (and I do have a masters in
> public administration) there will never be "zero
> illegal aliens" in Fairfax County. There will
> always be some, but the numbers will vary based on
> the carrots and sticks used to either keep them
> here or drive them away.
>
> While it may be difficult to gage exactly how many
> are here currently (since the county apparently
> did away with it's own study on that) I suspect
> that for current and future planning purposes, the
> county does have some estimated numbers in mind.
>
> Another educated opinion is that you are a troll
> looking to stir the pot on the illegal immigration
> issue.

Excuse me Mrs. K, but you did not even try to answer the question, just a lot of blah blah blah. I bet you’re voting for Hillary.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: September 24, 2016 09:47AM

The Dollar Stores would go out of business.

Date: September 24, 2016 09:49AM

Rich Wrote:
> So why is there no apparent effort to rid the
> county of this problem and who are they players?

The Dems, who control County politics, want 'em for future votes and customers for their social services programs. They simply ask for more tax money to address the problem of increased crime, as well as for the increased demand on social services. And we, the taxpayer, give it to them.

Businesses like cheap labor.

I believe it is a fallacy that Fairfax County economy would tank without the presence of illegal immigrants.

Jobs would be filled by legal immigrants and native born people.

Labor costs would rise, but the pressure on tax payers and the local govt would go down.

Fairfax County was fine economically before the immigration explosion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2016 09:57AM by phelpsmarc.

Posted by: truth hurts ()
Date: September 24, 2016 09:59AM

nwo brainwashed americans who choose the gay lifestyle (lots of hookups and abortions) over families will wither away and the muslim legals will take over in a generation rather than christian mexicans with their hard work and large families giving them a run for their money

Date: September 24, 2016 11:50AM

MadMax Wrote:
> Property values will go up and neighborhoods will
> be revitalized.
> Crime will go down considerably and our schools
> will not be so
> overcrowded. ESOL classes will be drastically
> reduced.

My sister is a ESOL teacher in the Chicago Area.

She used to be a Republican but is now a liberal Hillary supporter.

Not surprised.

She has learned all the Spanish cuss words, of course. LOL.

Posted by: FIFY ()
Date: September 24, 2016 02:29PM

Highland school senior Wrote:
> bean counting chicken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Illegal aliens are key to our economy, we need
> > them.
>
>
> Illegal alien is not the preferred nomenclature.
> Undocumented American Democrat please.

^ FIFY

Posted by: Big D ()
Date: September 24, 2016 07:40PM

MadMax Wrote:
> Property values will go up and neighborhoods will
> be revitalized.
> Crime will go down considerably and our schools
> will not be so
> overcrowded. ESOL classes will be drastically
> reduced.

Damn, I could have wrote this. What good does it do the American citizens to have allowed all the illegals in?

Posted by: had enough! ()
Date: September 24, 2016 09:34PM

Please explain why she is now a liberal. You need to educate her. Chicago is run by democrats and it along with other democratic run cities are the armpit of America. A few other examples Detroit and Baltimore. Crime is rampant, unemployment through the roof, black on black crime highest of all cities, EBT cards/welfare out of control. Why are we educating illegals? Shouldn't we put the money toward educating American children? People are dumb if they don't realize how much money FCPS spends on ESOL and educating illegals. It is bleeding our education system!! Send the bill for educating them to Mexico, El Salvidor, etc

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.