HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
speed camera ticket DC
Posted by: Speedy G ()
Date: April 13, 2013 03:18PM

Got a speed camera ticket in the mail yesterday from DC.

61 in 50 zone on 295.

Live in VA. Should I pay, does VA reciprocate?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: speed camera ticket DC
Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: April 13, 2013 04:50PM

They reciprocate. Photo enforcement doesn't usually mean points. It will probably show up on your record to the point that insurance will see it.

If you don't pay, go into DC, and end up being looked at for a parking ticket or for getting pulled over, it's your ass.

Posted by: Not sure ()
Date: April 13, 2013 04:51PM

Speedy G Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got a speed camera ticket in the mail yesterday
> from DC.
>
> 61 in 50 zone on 295.
>
> Live in VA. Should I pay,

Im not exactly sure what will happen if you don't pay.

> does VA reciprocate?

I think they do. Id just pay; that 50 dollars could save you a bunch of headache down the road, no pun intended.

Posted by: How soon after incident? ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:00PM

Question for OP: How many days after the offense did it take before DC sent you the ticket? 2 weeks? Less? More? Just wondering when I'll find out whether I got one in a confusing intersection in NW. I wasn't speeding and did not run a red light, but a light went off when I crossed an intersection with signage about traffic camera enforcement. I wonder how I can prove I did nothing wrong if it only takes a picture of my license plate? Does it?

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:18PM

Just pay to be safe!

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:20PM

They will charge you interest many times the original amount. They will pull you over or impound your vehicle and demand payment or repossession. And DC is fucked, if you don't pay it it can become a hassle quick.

Posted by: DKJVF ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:41AM

Speedy G Wrote:
>
> Live in VA. Should I pay, does VA reciprocate?

You have to deal with the ticket. Even if Virginia doesn't treat it as a moving violation on your license, having it outstanding can bite you if you ever drive or park in D.C. again or if your insurance company finds out about it.

But dealing with it does not necessarily mean paying it. A substantial percentage of D.C. camera tickets are thrown out because they show more than one car in the picture or for other flaws. You can go to a walk-in hearing, where a hearing examiner will show you copies of the pictures and the paperwork certifying the camera's operation and listen to your story, or you can file an appeal by mail. If you appeal by mail, that freezes all enforcement action. If you lose the appeal, you'll get a bill for the original fine, but the process might take six months or more. If you win, you don't pay. And some mail appeals seem to get lost in the bureaucracy (I know from experience), so you will never get a judgment either way and the ticket just pretty much disappears. But don't just ignore it. If you appeal, mail it certified and keep a copy of the ticket and your letter.

D.C. police link:
http://mpdc.dc.gov/node/216342

AAA on cameras:
http://washingtonexaminer.com/aaa-d.c.-dismissing-32-percent-of-speed-camera-red-light-tickets/article/408956

Posted by: kcKP3 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:51AM

How soon after incident? Wrote:
> Question for OP: How many days after the offense
> did it take before DC sent you the ticket? 2
> weeks? Less? More? Just wondering when I'll find
> out whether I got one in a confusing intersection
> in NW. I wasn't speeding and did not run a red
> light, but a light went off when I crossed an
> intersection with signage about traffic camera
> enforcement. I wonder how I can prove I did
> nothing wrong if it only takes a picture of my
> license plate? Does it?

There are a lot of places around town where the red-light camera will take your picture if you cross the "stop" line even slightly. Theoretically the system shouldn't even send you a ticket because the picture will show that you stopped. You might also have seen the flash because the driver in front of you ran the light. But if you get a ticket you can appeal in person or by mail, as above.

You can enter your plate number on this D.C. web site to see whether you have a ticket. If it doesn't show up after a couple weeks, you're probably in the clear.
https://wmq.etimspayments.com/pbw/include/dc_parking/input.jsp?ticketType=P

Posted by: stephen ()
Date: April 29, 2013 12:46PM

It takes about 3 to 4 weeks for the ticket to show up, but when it does you need to jump on it, or pay dearly later in fines. DC Rt295 has 2 cameras on each side.
1 by the crap plant on each side of the road and the other hidden by benning rd exit behind a bridge columm. Plus they use vans and cars parked on the side.
Rt95 in maryland uses SUV's with cameras in construction zones. have seen them in college park and white marsh. I've learned to do under the speed limit in DC, and avoid making turns at lights that use them. Dc traffic court doesn't use judges, they have a hearing person instead. It's very hard to beat a camera ticket.

Posted by: do as I do ()
Date: April 29, 2013 03:16PM

Pay... (you have no choice).. but make them pay more.

BOYCOTT DC!

Don't buy anything in DC-- don't let them get any tax $ out of you. Don't buy gas in DC, don't buy coffee, lunch in DC. No snacks, no DC-bag taxable items.

Make them pay for charging you an exhorbitant fine for simply driving to work.

(I, too, got stuck with a ticket for supposedly going 61mph on 295. It's a speed-trap, designed to get revenue out of drivers from VA).

Posted by: zue ()
Date: April 29, 2013 04:11PM

That's a good idea.

Doing the math: I usually spend $75/week in DC on lunches and incidentals during the work week. At 6% sales tax, plus occasional infuriating bag taxes -- that's about $5 a week in sales tax revenue.

And if I avoid filling up my tank in DC (23 cents/gal DC tax) -- that's about another $3.50 a week in gasoline taxes.

So in about 6 mos, DC would be out of about $220 from me. That should cover the fine from one of those gimmicky greedy speed cams.

Count me in on the DC Boycott! (for six months or so anyway) :)

Posted by: salem ()
Date: April 29, 2013 09:24PM

just don't speed. (and pay your fine if you do)

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:13PM

I got a camera speeding ticket in MD. 35 in a 25 school zone........ON A SUNDAY!!!!!!!

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:20PM

How about you don't speed AND you avoid spending any money at all in DC.

FBI may be moving to VA. Every move out of DC is for the better. DC is a place for the National Mall and ghettos.

Don't feel sorry for DC for a single moment. They keep voting in Marion Barry and every corrupt politician that aspires to be like Marion Barry.

Posted by: do as I do ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:33PM

The trick with this 295 speed cam scam is that morning commuters are usually stuck in 20-30 mph traffic on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. THen you get on to 295 where the speed limit is 55mph at first, but no one is going that speed due to merge traffic. The speed limit drops suddenly to 50mph for the only stretch of the road where you MAY get lucky and actually move at more than a snail's pace.. for just a little while. Because soon the traffic snarls again for the Anacostia River bridges.

So getting nailed with a $200+ fine for going 61 mph for a few hundred yards on an 65-75 minute commute is atrocious.

DC got it's last $ out of me last summer with their highway robbery scam. The boycott is easier than you think.

Posted by: Boycott DC! ()
Date: May 08, 2013 12:48AM

As a Fairfax resident whose gotten nailed too many times by harassing DC cameras, I like the idea of boycotting DC. Don't buy lunch, coffee, gas, ANYTHING in DC! Stop feeding the beast. Fight corruption: boycott DC.

Posted by: oh brother ()
Date: May 08, 2013 05:42PM

Just got my mail and I got one of those speed camera tickets! For going 61 mph. Are they kidding??!

Posted by: Wrong Way! ()
Date: May 09, 2013 07:55AM

Speedy G Wrote:
> from DC.
>
> 61 in 50 zone on 295.
>

You should pay for it, if you know it was you that did it. Otherwise stuff like this happens...

Woman gets three D.C. tickets, but has never driven in D.C.
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/05/miriam-singer-gets-d-c-tickets-despite-never-driving-in-d-c--88523.html

Miriam Singer, an 87-year-old Baltimore resident, has received three speeding tickets from cameras in the District of Columbia over the past four months.

Continue reading
Miriam Singer has never driven in the District of Columbia.

“It’s not my car,” explained Singer. “It’s obvious that it isn't from the photograph.”

Each ticket that Singer received was for a car driving well over the speed limit and caught by a D.C. speed camera.

Singer’s son-in-law, Jerry Carr, has written letter after letter to the District appealing the tickets, but reached out to 7 On Your Side when the third one came. It was for an Acura SUV with the plate "MS MAD”.

Singer's plate is her initials; simply "MS".

Each of the cars shown on the tickets has Maryland tags starting with “MS” . There’s “MS ALF”, “MS G” and “MS MAD."

Speed camera tickets are supposed to be reviewed before they are issued. After a review, MPD voided the tickets.

"This appears to have been human error," D.C. Police officials said in a statement. "Some Maryland tags are managed in a different manner than regular tags, so these require special handling during the name and address acquisition process.

"We have brought this matter to the staff's attention and we will monitor this closely in the future."

Watch video here
http://bcove.me/2khkhp2b

Posted by: boycott DC! ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:39AM

unbelievable.

Posted by: Jeremy Junts ()
Date: July 01, 2013 12:03AM

Man...

I'm about to leave the country and sell the car with the infraction... I'm real tempted to ingore this thing as a result... Can they still trace this back to me? I thought the infracton was linked to the plates, but those are pretty much history when I move so....

Posted by: Whhhhhhatttt ()
Date: July 01, 2013 12:20AM

Wrong Way! Wrote:
> Speedy G Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

>
> Woman gets three D.C. tickets, but has never
> driven in D.C.
> http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/05/miriam-singer
> -gets-d-c-tickets-despite-never-driving-in-d-c--88
> 523.html
>
>
> Miriam Singer, an 87-year-old Baltimore resident,
> has received three speeding tickets from cameras
> in the District of Columbia over the past four
> months.
>
> Continue reading
> Miriam Singer has never driven in the District of
> Columbia.
>
> “It’s not my car,” explained Singer.
> “It’s obvious that it isn't from the
> photograph.”
>
> Each ticket that Singer received was for a car
> driving well over the speed limit and caught by a
> D.C. speed camera.
>
> Singer’s son-in-law, Jerry Carr, has written
> letter after letter to the District appealing the
> tickets, but reached out to 7 On Your Side when
> the third one came. It was for an Acura SUV with
> the plate "MS MAD”.
>
> Singer's plate is her initials; simply "MS".
>
> Each of the cars shown on the tickets has Maryland
> tags starting with “MS” . There’s “MS
> ALF”, “MS G” and “MS MAD."
>
> Speed camera tickets are supposed to be reviewed
> before they are issued. After a review, MPD voided
> the tickets.
>
> "This appears to have been human error," D.C.
> Police officials said in a statement. "Some
> Maryland tags are managed in a different manner
> than regular tags, so these require special
> handling during the name and address acquisition
> process.
>
> "We have brought this matter to the staff's
> attention and we will monitor this closely in the
> future."
>
> Watch video here
> http://bcove.me/2khkhp2b

It wasn't "human error" it was nigger error.

Posted by: USMC ()
Date: July 01, 2013 10:25AM

I got ticketed by the van that sits under Maine Ave on 395 for going with flow in the far right lane a few months back. The camera and flash hit every car in front and behind like a stobe at a party. I challenged the ticket online and just got notice that I won the challenge by default. Seems they issue so many tickets they can't cover all the time it takes in court to defend them so many of the tickets that are challenged are just dropped due to resource limitations. I did not have to appear.

Posted by: Liberal Logic 15 ()
Date: July 01, 2013 10:37AM

Not sure Wrote:
> Speedy G Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Got a speed camera ticket in the mail yesterday
> > from DC.
> >
> > 61 in 50 zone on 295.
> >
> > Live in VA. Should I pay,
>
>
> Im not exactly sure what will happen if you don't
> pay.

Likely theyll keep running up the fine and if they see his car back in DC theyll boot it until he does.

Posted by: John OB ()
Date: July 17, 2013 03:30PM

Here's another one. Heading home on the last day of a 4,000 mile, month-long road trip, I became a victim of this scam. IT WAS 6:55 ON A SUNDAY MORNING with no cars on the road. Just me "driving to endanger" on an empty 3-lane highway at 63 MPH. The best part, though, is that, because I drive a leased vehicle, I did not receive the ticket until after 60 days had passed, thus automatically doubling the already excessive fine. When I tried to contact all branches of the DMV by phone and email, I realized there was not going to be a human being available at that end. Classic dilemma where the victim has no rights. Next year I'll go through there at 30 MPH. Oh no, wait a minute - that's probably against the law, too.

Posted by: Here's The Real Deal ()
Date: July 17, 2013 04:18PM

VA drivers do NOT have to pay DC camera tickets.

Fuck DC and their commuter-taxing cameras!

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1236956/1237608.html#msg-1237608

I've used this and it works every time.

Posted by: Somali Mann ()
Date: July 17, 2013 05:16PM

If you are not sure if you got a speeding ticket in DC, you can goto the DC.GOV website and enter your plate number and it would show if there are any open citations in DC.

Posted by: Thips ()
Date: November 29, 2016 03:30PM

does it affect the driving record ? the speeding will be reported to VA(DMV) ?

Posted by: LTGDF ()
Date: November 29, 2016 04:49PM

LTGDF

Posted by: ..... ()
Date: November 29, 2016 04:55PM

Speedy G Wrote:
> from DC.
>
> 61 in 50 zone on 295.
>

No, they don't.

Don't pay it. I have over $3000 in fines in DC that I will not pay until they start enforcing their own laws on the blacks who tear around on unregistered, uninsured dirt bikes.

Just make sure you park in private parking if you visit. They cannot legally touch you if you do that.

Posted by: Cj3Kn ()
Date: November 29, 2016 07:30PM

Speedy G Wrote:
> from DC.
>
> 61 in 50 zone on 295.
>

no we don't reciprocate. not since it was proven and published in the postthat DC niggas HAVE RECENTLY DURING OBAMA used the system to give tickets falsely - and were caught

Posted by: xVvDm ()
Date: November 29, 2016 07:31PM

wnrsm Wrote:
> They reciprocate. Photo enforcement doesn't
> usually mean points. It will probably show up on
> your record to the point that insurance will see
> it.
>
> If you don't pay, go into DC, and end up being
> looked at for a parking ticket or for getting
> pulled over, it's your ass.

tell me who is saying "it's your ass"

i'm sick of city threats whether it's by some nigga hoping he pays or by a judge

Posted by: nYEXL ()
Date: November 29, 2016 07:38PM

being an automaton, you don't have to appear in DC court, because the only witness is subject to nigger rigging, akin to a gambling device

DC certainly isn't going to appear in fx court for a ticket, and if they do - then you can sue them - since certainly it would be a scam set up by fx co gov itself

they can report to to a credit agency, however you can dispute that their agency has nigger rigged the units in the past, and there is no reason to trust them now

Posted by: hneJ7 ()
Date: November 29, 2016 07:43PM

i'm saying an automaton cant be used to call you outside of your HOME JURISDICTION into another jurisdiction

unless the automaton is showing a robbery or something absolutely clear that cannot be faked and worth the effort

elsewise no - i would say some bullshit run by DC cannot be used to EXTRADITE you to DC

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.