HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Superintendent
Posted by: Hmmm ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:16PM

Dr. Karen Garza, Lubbock, TX. You heard it here first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Superintendent
Posted by: Sun Young Moon ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:27PM

Yeah right...just announced via press release.

http://commweb.fcps.edu/newsreleases/newsrelease.cfm?newsid=2215

Posted by: Confirmed! ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:27PM

Posted by: Watch this space ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:32PM

How soon until it is reported here that she is a terrible person who hates children, parents, and teachers?

Posted by: this long.... ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:34PM

Check out CSCOPE and decide for yourself.

Posted by: she just got a raise too ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:39PM

Trustees voted Thursday to give Lubbock Independent School District Superintendent Karen Garza a 4 percent raise and to extend her contract by a year to June 2016.

Board of Education President Steve Massengale said the board “continues to be impressed with Karen’s work ethic and her innovation in the district.”

When Garza was hired from the Houston Independent School District in July 2009, the board was concerned about the district’s finances, human resources and professional development, Massengale said.

“We’ve just made amazing progress,” he said.

The 4 percent increase takes Garza’s base salary from $226,600 to $235,600. It will take effect July 1.

Nancy Sharp, the district’s communications director, said it is the second raise for Garza since her hiring. The superintendent declined two proposed raises because of “school district funding challenges,” Sharp said.

The district’s teachers, on average, got a 3 percent raise for the 2012-13 school year and staff got about 2 percent, she said.

Massengale said there were no new goals set for Garza.

“A priority of the board always has been and continues to be student achievement,” he said. “We’ve encouraged her to fine tune what we’re already doing.”

Garza said she is thankful for the “strong support” from the LISD trustees.

“They are an outstanding board, very deliberate and reflective in all they undertake,” she said. “I am also very appreciative of the hard work and dedication of LISD teachers and employees. They are the backbone of this great district.”

Posted by: hmmmmmmmmmmmm ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:43PM

"Former Councilman Paul Beane Has More to Say About LISD Superintendent Karen Garza"

http://kfyo.com/former-councilman-paul-beane-has-more-to-say-about-lisd-superintendent-karen-garza/

Posted by: Viva Garza ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:47PM

Hispanics account for a third of the population of Lubbock. She will be a natural fit at FCPD.

Posted by: huh ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:49PM

this long.... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out CSCOPE and decide for yourself.

What is CSCOPE?

Posted by: Women rule! ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:50PM

:)

Posted by: no surprise ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:56PM

Two bagger - woman, Hispanic. Can we add wheelchair, lesbian, etc? For FCPS, I'd expect at least a three bagger.

Posted by: no surprise ()
Date: April 10, 2013 05:59PM

no surprise Wrote:
> Two bagger - woman, Hispanic. Can we add
> wheelchair, lesbian, etc? For FCPS, I'd expect at
> least a three bagger.

OK, maybe only a one bagger - looking at her picture, she's about as Hispanic as Elizabeth Warren is Cherokee.

Posted by: dhey ()
Date: April 10, 2013 06:25PM

I read her bio, not impressed, Lubbock is not a particularly progressive or accomplished system, why would they pick someone to lead FCPS from a crappy place like Lubbock??? All other superintendents were from large and fairly accomplished systems.Lubbock is backward in terms of education, maybe it fits then

Posted by: Please ()
Date: April 10, 2013 06:34PM

The man with with tan came from upstate NY.

Posted by: ScrewedLubbock ()
Date: April 10, 2013 06:49PM

Came in, closed two schools, fired or RIF'd over a hundred of employees (many of which LISD has now found they must re-hire), got a big bond passed - had the vote run through well before anyone really knew the costs - and now she's leaving the mess for another district.

GOOD RIDDANCE, YOU WON'T BE MISSED BY MOST!

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: April 10, 2013 06:54PM

Man with the tan closed down a local high performing elementary school. Plus kids committed suicide on his watch. We are so happy to be rid of JD.

Posted by: fucxk u fcps ()
Date: April 10, 2013 06:55PM

THIS IS WHY THEY DIDN'T TELL US SHE SUCKS. WE NEED TO COMPLAINT

Posted by: Hiring Criteria ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:07PM

"Dr. Garza is a passionate champion for all students and a strong believer in public education’s responsibility to meet the needs of students across the spectrum."

Nuff said.

Posted by: Herewegoagain&again ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:13PM

Here is Garza's recent Lubbock ISD contract. Rest assured that FCPS opened its wallet for another free agent high-profile political educrat who will build a new central office empire while trading on the FCPS reputation in an attempt to secure lucrative consulting contracts and future employment with textbook companies and educational testing services (the Jack Dale model) while schools, kids, and teachers face further deep cuts.

http://lubbockisd.org/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/446749/File/CCR-Files/Legal%20Notices/Dr%20%20Garza's%20Contract%202012-2013.pdf

Posted by: I love money! ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:17PM

We have low taxes in Fairfax and great schools. Stop bitching. We are getting rid of an asshole. Nothing could be better.

Posted by: she getting a pay raise ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:19PM

Her salary in Taxas is

Posted by: Low Taxes, Really? ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:22PM

Low taxes in Fairfax???? In what part of the county do you live?? Dreamland??

Posted by: more of the same? ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:31PM

Didn't the same headhunter company that found Jack Dale find the new superintendent? Should we expect any change?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Came in, closed two schools, fired or RIF'd over a hundred of employees (many of which LISD has now found they must re-hire), got a big bond passed - had the vote run through well before anyone really knew the costs - and now she's leaving the mess for another district.

GOOD RIDDANCE, YOU WON'T BE MISSED BY MOST!

Posted by: new salary ()
Date: April 10, 2013 07:36PM

$236,500 base salary to run a 30,000 student school district in a place like Lubbock, Texas? Plus retirement contributions, achievement incentives, travel, and professional development. What are they smoking in Texas? What will FCPS pay her to run a 181,000 student district in a high cost of living area? I guess Fairfax is looking at a $325,000 baby plus retirement benefits, achievement incentives, travel, professional development, nice work if you can get it.

Posted by: Dale,Jack $312,800 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 10:06PM

Dale, Jack D
Division Superintendent
Gatehouse Administration Center I
$312,800
new salary Wrote:
> $236,500 base salary to run a 30,000 student
> school district in a place like Lubbock, Texas?
> Plus retirement contributions, achievement
> incentives, travel, and professional development.
> What are they smoking in Texas? What will FCPS
> pay her to run a 181,000 student district in a
> high cost of living area? I guess Fairfax is
> looking at a $325,000 baby plus retirement
> benefits, achievement incentives, travel,
> professional development, nice work if you can get
> it.

Posted by: Dear low taxes, really? ()
Date: April 10, 2013 11:00PM

Look up the the state of NY.

Posted by: Rocket ()
Date: April 11, 2013 08:04AM

Great, Texas, now we can pick up our pace on the race to the bottom.
Sure glad I have my last child in HS already.

Posted by: same as the old boss ()
Date: April 11, 2013 08:28AM

Im glad all mine are out, drop in sometime to your kids school. A real eye opener.

Posted by: bled dry ()
Date: April 11, 2013 08:34AM

I love money! Wrote:
> We have low taxes in Fairfax and great schools.
> Stop bitching. We are getting rid of an asshole.
> Nothing could be better.

where the hell do you live in a cardboard box? My taxes keep going up and up but then again I am not an illegal and on welfare. Great schools is a myth run by the teachers union. The Gatehouse is full of cronyism and nepotism. They could use a good house cleaning and some RIFs would be nice too.

Posted by: Nighthawk ()
Date: April 11, 2013 09:40AM

Posted by: bds ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:27AM

bled dry Wrote:
> The Gatehouse is full
> of cronyism and nepotism. They could use a good
> house cleaning and some RIFs would be nice too.

You got that right.

I work for the bastards, and from the top echelon on down to the janitors and bus drivers it's all who you are related to or friends with. They even call it the FCPS "family", but they mean that literally. There's the "family" and then there's everybody else. And believe me, they take care of family.

If not in the family, the number one rule is keep your mouth shut, because there are "family" members throughout the entire organization. If one of them overhears you make any derogatory comments about the "family", punishment is swift, sure, and severe.

Posted by: horselyah ()
Date: April 11, 2013 12:54PM

definately do not have "great schools", you apparently don't know any children

Posted by: sound familiar? ()
Date: April 11, 2013 02:36PM

Garza said that one of her key skills is the ability to engage the community “to give a voice” to concerned parents and citizens.“My way of leading the school system will allow all individuals to have a say,” Garza said. “I want to be very accessible.”

From Stoopid Gibson's lips in 2004:

“One of the things that really impressed us is his ability to gather input from all the stakeholders and get everybody moving in the same directions," Gibson said. "Here in this community, more than in many other places, we want our superintendent to be accessible to the community. I think that Jack will go out of his way to make sure that people are heard."

Posted by: just another suit ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:07PM

Fairfax County school board chair Ilryong Moon says that Karen Garza has “impressive credentials and skills,” and Republican board member Elizabeth Schultz said Garza’s arrival represents “the beginning of a sea change in Fairfax.”

Garza may be a nice lady, but her tenure in the Houston school district should offer some warnings, perhaps especially to teachers.

For example, when Garza left Houston to become superintendent in Lubbock, the Houston district’s news release noted this:

“Dr. Garza led the development of HISD’s ASPIRE program, the school improvement effort that paid more than 18,000 teachers and instructional staff more than $70 million in performance bonuses over the last three years based on the academic improvement of children.”

Houston’s ASPIRE program was developed through a “quick and relatively noncollaborative planning process” that was not transparent and that relied on “a complex formula” that teachers did not understand. Worse, teachers “were not allowed access to the data that formed the basis of their performance awards.” The ASPIRE merit pay plan was funded (in part) by the Broad, Gates and Dell foundations.

Posted by: Thank god! ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:14PM

FCPS needs to clean house. I hope to see a lot of teachers retire in 2014. The time has come to get rid of those just hanging on till they can retire with full benefits.

Posted by: ASPIRE is a failure ()
Date: April 11, 2013 11:10PM

Dr Garza is making some pretty big claims of a miraculous impovement in test scores while she woked for Houston ISD.

We are no greenhorns here, sweetie, like your lubbock pals.

You better have the data to back it up.

We don't need any snake oil salesman.

Posted by: where is Texas? ()
Date: April 12, 2013 04:52PM

This is a report card worth putting on the fridge. For the fifth straight year, Maryland has ranked number one when it comes to best public schools, according to Education Week.

The state earned an overall B+ in the report, which is done every year by the publication Education Week. It looks at achievement rates in grades K-12, school finances and transitions from school to the work world. The nation was given an overall grade of C+.

Maryland received its highest marks for emphasis on early-childhood education and preparing students for college and work.

Here are the top 10 states:

1. Maryland (B+)

2. Massachusetts (B)

3. New York (B)

4. Virginia (B)

5. Arkansas (B-)

6. Florida (B-)

7. Georgia (B-)

8. New Jersey (B-)

9. West Virginia (B-)

10. Kentucky (B-)

Posted by: Houston ISD data ()
Date: April 12, 2013 05:54PM

As Chief Academic Officer for Houston for 4 years, Dr. Garza has this to claim:

Less than 20% of HISD high school graduates meet college-readiness standards

WOW.

Posted by: my favorite stat ()
Date: April 12, 2013 06:00PM

pay attention to this chart from Houston ISD

On-track-to-college-readiness rates vary from 12% to 30% for HISD students in grades 1-11

grade 1-30%
grade 2-29%
grade 3-21%
grade 4-22%
grade 5-24%
grade-6-21%
grade 7-12%
grade 8-17%
grade9-16%
grade 10-15%
grade 11-17%

What this means is that as students stay in this school district their chance of being ready for college declines from 30% to 17% by the time they graduate.

Great job Texas!

Posted by: oh and about that gap thing ()
Date: April 12, 2013 06:09PM

On-track rates vary by demographic and socioeconomic group: 8th graders

Asian 63%
White 49%
Black 11%
Hispanic 12%

oh boy, are we headed backwards.....

Posted by: her legacy ()
Date: April 12, 2013 06:21PM

After four years as CAO in Houston, this is her legacy:

HISD has a number of outstanding academic programs and supports across the district, but on the whole does not prepare students for
college and career readiness. The chart on the right shows the percentage of nonspecial
education students in HISD who tested on grade level in reading and math,
as measured by the norm-referenced Stanford test. Our scores show that,
depending on the grade, only about 40 to 70% of our students are reading or doing
math at grade level. In addition, student EVAAS growth data show a slowing of
growth in mathematics progress from the fifth to sixth grades, resulting in only
18% of HISD eighth-grade students successfully completing Algebra I. The end
result is that the majority of HISD students who enroll in community college
require remedial courses in their first year.

Posted by: she will be missed ()
Date: April 12, 2013 06:37PM

some fond farewells from folks in Lubbock, TX:

Thank the Lord,now maybe the students will get an education instead of upgrades at lowery field.

Whatever one thinks of Garza, there is now an opportunity to try to hire someone who is actually, not just as a matter of public relations, committed to getting a higher proportion of the students competent to read, write, do simple arithmetic, and know a little bit about history and science as the first priority. I doubt if that will happen however, since where oh where would you find an "educator" so hopelessly old fashioned as to be concerned with stuff like that?

Too bad she can't take the bills for all the needless things she's done with her!

Looks like Ms. Garza is moving up in the school administration ladder. Just one more reason to throw more tax-payer's money to support these necessary(?) jobs. The proof is in the pudding. Students are going to college now, unable to read, spell or write complete sentences.

Well done Ms. Garza, well done.

Posted by: a local poll was taken ()
Date: April 12, 2013 07:16PM

Dr. Garza has been with Lubbock ISD for 4 years. What have you thought about her time at Lubbock ISD? Was she successful or not? Or were there mixed results. Let us know in today’s KFYO Poll of the Day.

Thank you for voting!
Yes 11.11%

No 31.48%

Mixed Results 9.26%

Not sure 48.15%

Posted by: another fan ()
Date: April 12, 2013 07:20PM

Her accomplishments include: Increasing the standardized test failure rate to 75% of her high schools (she began with only a 25% failure rate of high schools). She was instrumental in demolition, instead of conversion, of the historical house of God at 18th & T. She, in collaboration with the previous mayor & council, had ave T closed, preventing residents of the Overton addition from leaving the neighborhood from its only straight southbound exit. Her new traffic design forces hundreds of additional LISD students and family member vehicles onto already congested residential streets. The uncompensated neighborhood damage may be irreparable. Good bye and good riddance.

Posted by: Our kids our smarter! ()
Date: April 12, 2013 08:45PM

You cannot compare Lubback Texas to Fairfax County. We win!

I see no problem with a hard working Superintendent moving on up. We are the top.

Posted by: unfounded ()
Date: April 12, 2013 09:50PM

Glad to hear that you have personal knowledge of how hard working she is????

what a dumb thing to say.

she comes from a very very low performing district where she made no measurable improvement.

exactly why does she deserve to work here?

Posted by: unfounded is just mad ()
Date: April 12, 2013 09:59PM

I guess you are from the good old white boys club.

You are just mad because she has a vagina.

Jack Dale sucked. Show me what JD did for FCPS?

Posted by: off base sweetie ()
Date: April 12, 2013 10:59PM

I have nothing nice to say about Dale, so chill.

I am simply asking you to state why Garza deserves the job.

Posted by: oh my goodness ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:02PM

her legacy Wrote:
> After four years as CAO in Houston, this is her
> legacy:
>
> HISD has a number of outstanding academic programs
> and supports across the district, but on the whole
> does not prepare students for
> college and career readiness. The chart on the
> right shows the percentage of nonspecial
> education students in HISD who tested on grade
> level in reading and math,
> as measured by the norm-referenced Stanford test.
> Our scores show that,
> depending on the grade, only about 40 to 70% of
> our students are reading or doing
> math at grade level. In addition, student EVAAS
> growth data show a slowing of
> growth in mathematics progress from the fifth to
> sixth grades, resulting in only
> 18% of HISD eighth-grade students successfully
> completing Algebra I. The end
> result is that the majority of HISD students who
> enroll in community college
> require remedial courses in their first year.

Just 18% complete algebra by 8th grade....goodness, FCPS is at what? 60%

Posted by: unfounded is just mad is just ma ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:08PM

guess you are from the good old nigga bitch club.

You are just mad because Dale has no vagina.

Dr. Karen Garza sucks. Show me what KG did for Lubbock

Posted by: betting man ()
Date: April 15, 2013 10:38AM

What is the over/under on how long this one will last?

Posted by: Good Luck Super ()
Date: July 07, 2013 07:21AM

Texas Educator?? That's scary... As Drake song states, "Started from the bottom now where here". Ms. Garza must feel she's Finally arrived.

Hopefully not at the cost of FCPS first runner reputation to be mauled by her short & lacking tenure.

Tread carefully**Never been to Texas, but know that the sharks are a lot bigger here.

Posted by: Fcps supporter ()
Date: July 07, 2013 10:33PM

Why don't you just give her a chance? She is obviously more qualified than any of us.

Posted by: Lubbock wasn't happy ()
Date: July 08, 2013 03:51PM

Looks like Lubbock let her go early--FCPS has been paying her---and her bills prior to July 1st?

Can't wait till she guts Gatehouse and rids it of the bloodsuckers.

Barbara Hunter should be top of the list.

Posted by: Thin Walls ()
Date: July 09, 2013 03:03AM

Based on some animated discussion I overheard, the Dale/Tisdadt era is over. Gatehouse staff is now expected to respond quickly and accurately to requests from the school board and the public.

We'll see how this pans out under Garza.

Posted by: DogFace ()
Date: July 09, 2013 06:49AM

Maybe they'll close that rat-trap Dogwood now.

Posted by: Beth ()
Date: December 11, 2014 04:19PM

bds Wrote:
> bled dry Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Gatehouse is full
> > of cronyism and nepotism. They could use a good
> > house cleaning and some RIFs would be nice too.
>
> You got that right.
>
> I work for the bastards, and from the top echelon
> on down to the janitors and bus drivers it's all
> who you are related to or friends with. They even
> call it the FCPS "family", but they mean that
> literally. There's the "family" and then there's
> everybody else. And believe me, they take care of
> family.
>
> If not in the family, the number one rule is keep
> your mouth shut, because there are "family"
> members throughout the entire organization. If
> one of them overhears you make any derogatory
> comments about the "family", punishment is swift,
> sure, and severe.

--------------------------------------------------
Event though I find some good information on Fairfax underground, I see some inappropriate usages. However I am curious to know about what you stated above. As I am not the family member(per your description) but I have experienced that and has a very bad experience. I always wondered how the culture came to be that way ? What do you think the factors are ? Are any other school systems like that or do you think this is an exception to FCPS ? Do you think this culture will change with Dr. Garza's leadership or have you started to see any change/improvement ? Why is it that the staff does not stand up for what they believe in but do things that they are asked to do no matter what ?

Date: December 11, 2014 06:12PM

Does the Garza strip?

Posted by: culture is different here, yes ()
Date: December 11, 2014 06:12PM

I always wondered how the culture came to be that way ? What do you think the factors are ? Are any other school systems like that or do you think this is an exception to FCPS ? Do you think this culture will change with Dr. Garza's leadership or have you started to see any change/improvement ? Why is it that the staff does not stand up for what they believe in but do things that they are asked to do no matter what ?

This is the culture in Virginia. It came to be this way as a result of the history of a large agrarian landholding system which was part of a very class structured society. The large landowners all knew and socialized with each other and kept everyone else in their "place". Manners, etiquette, and appearances were all very important. Criticizing anyone in an overt way was considered uncouth and uncivilized. These values were more important than those related to scientific progress or advancement. In the "North" it was (and is) far different. Northerners will argue and debate and not feel personally "hurt" or not impart an "etiquette" judgment upon the person arguing. All parties expect to "duke it out" in an attempt to understand an issue and improve. This is considered somewhat "ungentlemanly" and "unladylike" in Virginia. These ideas live on in subtle ways here. The top down structure of the military and its outsized presence here is also a major factor affecting the overall culture ("chain of command" type of thinking).

I do not believe that Garza can change this (at least not overnight). The way to possibly change it is to base promotions on merit and not on "the family". When people just keep being shuffled around at the top, nobody believes that an real change is occurring. Everyone still sees the organization as a top down entity where speaking out about one's beliefs is discouraged and even thought of as unmannerly. The good soldier does what he or she is told without asking questions.

Date: December 11, 2014 06:28PM

culture is different here, yes Wrote:
> I always wondered how the culture came to be that
> way ? What do you think the factors are ? Are any
> other school systems like that or do you think
> this is an exception to FCPS ? Do you think this
> culture will change with Dr. Garza's leadership or
> have you started to see any change/improvement ?
> Why is it that the staff does not stand up for
> what they believe in but do things that they are
> asked to do no matter what ?
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

How this is very interesting. Thanks you so much as > This is the culture in Virginia. It came to be
> this way as a result of the history of a large
> agrarian landholding system which was part of a
> very class structured society. The large
> landowners all knew and socialized with each other
> and kept everyone else in their "place". Manners,
> etiquette, and appearances were all very
> important. Criticizing anyone in an overt way was
> considered uncouth and uncivilized. These values
> were more important than those related to
> scientific progress or advancement. In the "North"
> it was (and is) far different. Northerners will
> argue and debate and not feel personally "hurt" or
> not impart an "etiquette" judgment upon the person
> arguing. All parties expect to "duke it out" in
> an attempt to understand an issue and improve.
> This is considered somewhat "ungentlemanly" and
> "unladylike" in Virginia. These ideas live on in
> subtle ways here. The top down structure of the
> military and its outsized presence here is also a
> major factor affecting the overall culture ("chain
> of command" type of thinking).
>
> I do not believe that Garza can change this (at
> least not overnight). The way to possibly change
> it is to base promotions on merit and not on "the
> family". When people just keep being shuffled
> around at the top, nobody believes that an real
> change is occurring. Everyone still sees the
> organization as a top down entity where speaking
> out about one's beliefs is discouraged and even
> thought of as unmannerly. The good soldier does
> what he or she is told without asking questions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, this is very interesting. This gives me a lot insight, thank you. I had never expected this to be the case especially with people around education and in a westernized county and the time we are in. it would be interesting to hear what others think as well. Thank You!

Posted by: Still Virginia ()
Date: December 11, 2014 07:15PM

If you are interested in how this culture developed in VA, read from about page 138 in this paper:

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc2617/m2/1/high_res_d/Thesis.pdf

The ideas of honor, paternal deference, etc. are all in here. This stuff lives on in Virginia. FCPS is probably a great place to study this. Many people in NOVA are unaware of this culture (especially those who work in private companies or places that don't have roots going way back in VA or that are headquartered elsewhere). But FCPS is still mired in all of this (as one might expect).

Posted by: let them see the world ()
Date: December 11, 2014 07:22PM

Also, the students who go to Virginia universities are still in this culture and then they return to FCPS to teach.

If you have a child here, you may be giving them a gift by letting them go to college out of state (especially a "northern" state. Experiencing a different culture can be refreshing and eye opening for them.

Posted by: Gatehouse Watch ()
Date: December 11, 2014 07:39PM

Dr. Garza inherited an organization filled with high-level bureaucrats who were known for their lack of integrity. Some left FCPS before their buddy Jack Dale. Others left after Dr. Garza became their new boss.

Things are improving, but many members of the FCPS Leadership Team - and principals - were selected and trained by Jack Dale and his people. I guess the 64 million dollar question is how many of them can shift gears, now that they have a new boss who seems to be trying to change the FCPS culture.

Posted by: non-believer ()
Date: December 11, 2014 07:50PM

Thin Walls Wrote:
> Based on some animated discussion I overheard, the
> Dale/Tisdadt era is over. Gatehouse staff is now
> expected to respond quickly and accurately to
> requests from the school board and the public.
>
> We'll see how this pans out under Garza.

I will believe this when I see it.............

Date: December 11, 2014 08:00PM

Gatehouse Watch Wrote:
> Dr. Garza inherited an organization filled with
> high-level bureaucrats who were known for their
> lack of integrity. Some left FCPS before their
> buddy Jack Dale. Others left after Dr. Garza
> became their new boss.
>
> Things are improving, but many members of the FCPS
> Leadership Team - and principals - were selected
> and trained by Jack Dale and his people. I guess
> the 64 million dollar question is how many of them
> can shift gears, now that they have a new boss who
> seems to be trying to change the FCPS culture.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
At least it is something that there is a chance for a change. That is also my feeling, it is not easy for Dr. Garza to change this culture, it takes time but I think she is trying. I don't know much about Jack Dale but many seem to blame him for part of the current culture. You hit it right that I work for a company that integrity and ethics is really big. No one can mess up with that. So when I see this, it is hard for me to believe what is going on, I am just shocked by the culture. If Dr. Garza makes ethics and integrity her major priority, I think it would make a big difference.

Date: December 11, 2014 08:12PM

Still Virginia Wrote:
> If you are interested in how this culture
> developed in VA, read from about page 138 in this
> paper:
>
> http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc26
> 17/m2/1/high_res_d/Thesis.pdf
>
>
> The ideas of honor, paternal deference, etc. are
> all in here. This stuff lives on in Virginia.
> FCPS is probably a great place to study this. Many
> people in NOVA are unaware of this culture
> (especially those who work in private companies or
> places that don't have roots going way back in VA
> or that are headquartered elsewhere). But FCPS is
> still mired in all of this (as one might expect).
---------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for sharing, this will help a lot. Yes I am one of those people who don't know about this culture.

Date: December 11, 2014 10:05PM

I hope she won't mess with the school yard prostitution ring. I need my cheddar.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.