HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: anyone ()
Date: April 02, 2013 07:44AM

Anyone have opinions of cost comparison amongst the big two DC grocers (Safeway and Giant) versus WF?

Reason I asked is that I've had two odd experiences that makes me rethink whether WF really deserves its moniker of "Whole Paycheck".

Every time I have bought grapes and apples from Giant or Safeway in the past month or so, they have been either sour, bruised as hell or very mushy. I'll reject any apple that has visible blemishes on it, but many have had significant internal bruising. In contrast, most all the grapes and apples from WF have been blemish free and highly edible.

I had to run to the market the other day for a couple items and didn't want to trek all the way over to South Lakes so I instead went to the WF on Sunset Hills. I actually found 1) the bananas to be priced the same as Safeway ($0.79 per pound) and the milk to be nearly a dollar less ($3.19 versus $3.99 at Safeway).

Are these pricing anomalies or has WF found that it pays to serve the average "Joe"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Que? ()
Date: April 02, 2013 07:52AM

There are three things in life you shouldn't try to save money on; Food, Hookers and Tattoos.

Safeway is expensive and it's bottom of the barrel. The one near me routinely leaves expired produce on its shelves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Savy SHopper ()
Date: April 02, 2013 07:52AM

One word: Wegmans. Best prices, highest quality

Bananas: $0.49/Lb.

Milk: $2.85/Gal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Saavy Shopper ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:14AM

Safeway produce has never, ever been good. Whole Foods produce is good, Giant mediocre. Safeway keeps a lot of old stuff on their shelves throughout the store. Read the labels carefully when shopping there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:31AM

Produce requires fast turnover. SF, Giant, or any other large scale grocery store prefers to hold goods until (or past) the last chance to recoup costs. Wegmans & WF rely on those goods to create RTG items, thus generating their own "churn", thus you're more likely (but not always) going to get the fresher goods there.
Other side of the coin is to shop where produce is featured - such as Super H Mart...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: anyone ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:55AM

I would shop at Wegmans but there are none nearby where I am. Closest is over in Sterling and going to that one (or the one in Fair Lakes which I have gone to ONCE) requires me to put on body armour owing to the fanatical soccer moms who would knock you dead if your shopping cart got in her way - especially on weekends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Mobbed like Costco ()
Date: April 02, 2013 09:55AM

Savy SHopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One word: Wegmans. Best prices, highest quality
>
> Bananas: $0.49/Lb.
>
> Milk: $2.85/Gal.

Wegmans is definitely the best, but they tend to be mobbed most of the time. Not very convenient for anything other than a full week's shopping.

Giant and Safeway both suck. I know Giant can't compete on price because they are being crushed by union contracts. No idea why Safeway is gouging, probably a similar reason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: what about Harris Teeter? ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:18AM

No love for Harris Teeter? There's one right in the middle of Reston. The thing we like about them is we can order most of our weekly our groceries online, then just drive up front and someone brings everything out and loads the car. I think there's a small fee, but it's worth it for us. Once in a while they screw something up, like last week we got an extra bag full of someone else's groceries. Their produce is quite good - I'm not sure how the price compares since I don't really do our household grocery shopping. Their fresh seafood is the best in Reston. Reston's Whole Foods seafood is not so good (smells bad, lots of not fresh fish w/ cloudy eyes) and is very expensive. HT has good sales on seafood and meats. HT in Reston is a 24-hour store as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: bn ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:30AM

I believe Giant gets their produce local so that might be something to consider if you're about supporting your local community. I can't comment for who supplies the other grocery stores. That said, I think Giant sucks.

My vote is for Costco, but if these soccer moms are doable and as aggressive as they sound, I might have to reconsider where I shop.




anyone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would shop at Wegmans but there are none nearby
> where I am. Closest is over in Sterling and going
> to that one (or the one in Fair Lakes which I have
> gone to ONCE) requires me to put on body armour
> owing to the fanatical soccer moms who would knock
> you dead if your shopping cart got in her way -
> especially on weekends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: April 02, 2013 11:09AM

I have never had a problem with the quality of produce or food from the Safeway at PanAM Shopping Center. The gas discount is a bonus since it is the closest station to my house anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: JarJar Fink ()
Date: April 02, 2013 11:24AM

LetsRock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never had a problem with the quality of
> produce or food from the Safeway at PanAM Shopping
> Center. The gas discount is a bonus since it is
> the closest station to my house anyway.


Raise your standards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Yuppie in Training ()
Date: April 02, 2013 11:41AM

I've found that Whole Foods is not 'Whole Paycheck' as long as you stick to buying a few things there: the produce, milk in the glass jars (it comes from VA and it tastes great), and their 365 brand for packaged goods. Once you get into the specialty products, packaged or otherwise, is when you run into the costly items.

Thing I will overpay for at Whole Foods is the fresh fish and the grass-fed beef ... especially the grass-fed beef. I thought it was total bullshit but you can definitely taste a difference.

Whole Foods Fair Lakes is also legit when it comes to beer - the taps out there are outstanding.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: VEIK ()
Date: April 02, 2013 12:03PM

Korean store is the way to go
Hmart
Lotte in chantilly

Blows wegmans away in produce and seafood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: quality standards? ()
Date: April 02, 2013 12:15PM

VEIK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Korean store is the way to go
> Hmart
> Lotte in chantilly
>
> Blows wegmans away in produce and seafood


I wouldn't fucking trust their seafood, nor their produce. Probably full of all kinds of 3rd world pesticides and contaminants. No thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Asian drivers EVERYWHERE ()
Date: April 02, 2013 12:17PM

VEIK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Korean store is the way to go
> Hmart
> Lotte in chantilly
>
> Blows wegmans away in produce and seafood

If you love fruit flies, hordes of immigrants, and dangerous parking lots then you should definitely check out the the Asian supermarkets. Otherwise I don't see any reason to go to any of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: RJR ()
Date: April 02, 2013 12:33PM

> Korean store is the way to go
> Hmart
> Lotte in chantilly
>
> Blows wegmans away in produce and seafood


I haven't been to Lotte in years, but it used to be dirty, smelly and cold. HMart is much much better, and I do trust their seafood. I find Safeway and Giant to be about the same in quality, with Giant a little better, but Giant's prices are much higher. Wegmans is the best store in the area for quality, and for most of their prices. It's not too convenient though, and you don't want to just drop in there for a few items.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:25PM

Harris Teeter's produce is just as good as Whole Foods, and better than Safeway/Giant. I used to like WF, but twice this year I have had problems with their bulk items- namely sawtooth grain beetle infestation. First it was a bag of dried banana chips from the Idylwood store, then a few weeks ago in my bag of wasabi peas from the Vienna location. They sorta look like tiny, fast-moving ants with long antenna, took me awhile to figure out what they were. Keep your eyes open if you buy bulk products from WF.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:37PM

I only went to Lotte once, hoping to buy a number of items. But (not unexpectedly) everything was written in Korean (or whatever nationality it is), and I appeared to be the only person who spoke English there. I left intimidated. I'd like to shop there, but I need to have some idea what I'm buying. Is HMart the same?

Giant's produce has gone way downhill; Safeway is better. Of course, Wegmans is better than Safeway - but too much of a hassle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: VEIK ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:44PM

quality standards? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VEIK Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Korean store is the way to go
> > Hmart
> > Lotte in chantilly
> >
> > Blows wegmans away in produce and seafood
>
>
> I wouldn't fucking trust their seafood, nor their
> produce. Probably full of all kinds of 3rd world
> pesticides and contaminants. No thank you.

Their seafood is fine, when was the last time you checked for worms in seafood from Whole Foods? :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: VEIK ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:44PM

Asian drivers EVERYWHERE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VEIK Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Korean store is the way to go
> > Hmart
> > Lotte in chantilly
> >
> > Blows wegmans away in produce and seafood
>
> If you love fruit flies, hordes of immigrants, and
> dangerous parking lots then you should definitely
> check out the the Asian supermarkets. Otherwise I
> don't see any reason to go to any of them.


you go there to save money, during the week parking is fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: VEIK ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:46PM

Truth is, most of so called fresh fish and meat has been previously frozen :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: x7 ()
Date: April 02, 2013 02:57PM

I go to Whole Foods mostly for the cheese and the women. There's always some fine beaver there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: RJR ()
Date: April 02, 2013 03:36PM

Pippo Crème?

No.

Danish Fimboe?

No.

Czech sheep's milk?

No.

Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?.

Not today, sir, no.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Cheesehead ()
Date: April 02, 2013 03:44PM

Camembert?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: gubba ment worker ()
Date: April 02, 2013 04:00PM

Forget all the stores you mentioned. The Commissary is where to go, if you can. Best damn prices because no taxes to the consumer. Produce is fresh. Busy as hell though on paydays.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: beavis ()
Date: April 02, 2013 04:03PM

shoppers has decent produce; and it's cheaper.

H Mart used to be really good, still pretty. Lotto ok too.

i don't know why anybody would go to safeway or giant, except for convenience.

Wegman's and WF is for white people that don't mind being overcharged. I'm the former not the later.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: x7 ()
Date: April 02, 2013 04:18PM

Sounds like the old Monty Python cheese shop sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPN3KTtrnZM&feature=player_detailpage

RJR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pippo Crème?
>
> No.
>
> Danish Fimboe?
>
> No.
>
> Czech sheep's milk?
>
> No.
>
> Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?.
>
> Not today, sir, no.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Monty ()
Date: April 02, 2013 05:32PM

Cheesehead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Camembert?


It's a bit runny....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: mark j ()
Date: April 02, 2013 09:16PM

Giant's produce is bottom of the barrel....I have made a number of returns on horrible tasting fruit...if more people would return these items, they might upgrade where they buy..BTW, if you return an item to Giant, you get double your money back...

I buy from WF...less spendable income at the end of the month, but everything has been fresh and top quality...AND NO UNION ! (hate unions)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Red Humpie ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:19PM

Who eats farmed salmon ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Supermarket Sweep ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:39PM

It's all a crap shoot, and a lot depends on management, size of store, and what you are looking for. I generally like Safeway, but the one near me (Twinbrooke) is constantly running out of sale items, and their seafood is usually just salmon, shrimp, and tilapia. The one on Burke Center Parkway is a bit more reliable - great seafood department - but it is also a lot bigger. Giant's produce is pretty lame these days, but I think has a better meat section with more variety. I only hit Wegman's middle of the week, and just for things I can't get anywhere else. Same with Whole Foods. Another option is Trader Joe's. Good variety of produce, cheeses, some meats, and good frozen stuff. Walmart has some good basics also, and at a good price.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: John K. Foodeater ()
Date: April 03, 2013 04:10AM

Went into my local Safeway (Annandale) tonight around 10:30 to pick up a dozen eggs and some hot pockets. I picked up both and was wandering a bit when I saw the line. At least 10 people lined up for 1 checker. No self serve lanes open. Put my items back and left. I went to Giant down the street and bought them. Cost a bit more, but no line at all.

I get most of my groceries at the Walmart in Fairfax now-a-days. Nobody can beat those prices. Second is Harris Teeter, but I pretty much only buy things on sale there. I rarely ever shop at Safeway, which is the closest store to me, because they NEVER have enough check out lanes open.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Cleese ()
Date: April 03, 2013 06:36AM

Monty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cheesehead Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Camembert?
>
>
> It's a bit runny....


I like it runny, turn it over with all due haste.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: kiss13 ()
Date: April 03, 2013 08:00AM

I get my meat from various butcher shops (usually in markets) or shoppers and my groceries at walmart. Sometimes Bottom Dollar will work! Aldis is ok, but we all get bored of the same brand. The price is too damn high elsewhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: I thought they were gone ()
Date: April 03, 2013 09:24AM

kiss13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get my meat from various butcher shops (usually
> in markets) or shoppers and my groceries at
> walmart. Sometimes Bottom Dollar will work! Aldis
> is ok, but we all get bored of the same brand. The
> price is too damn high elsewhere.

Are they any Bottom Dollar stores left?

I thought they all turned back into Food Lions once it was determined that Bottom Dollar was the shitiest grocery store of all time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: mark j is a dipshit ()
Date: April 03, 2013 09:26AM

mark j Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW, if you
> return an item to Giant, you get double your money
> back...
>


Wrong you are, faggot!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Fromagerie ()
Date: April 03, 2013 09:29AM

Cleese Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Monty Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Cheesehead Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Camembert?
> >
> >
> > It's a bit runny....
>
>
> I like it runny, turn it over with all due haste.


I'm afraid the cat's eaten it....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Statistician ()
Date: April 03, 2013 09:44AM

What do the very worst grocery chains in the DC area have in common? Unions. Not a coincidence. Buy from non-union stores, and you're almost guaranteed to get better prices on better foods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: April 03, 2013 12:36PM

JarJar Fink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LetsRock Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have never had a problem with the quality of
> > produce or food from the Safeway at PanAM
> Shopping
> > Center. The gas discount is a bonus since it is
> > the closest station to my house anyway.
>
>
> Raise your standards.


Produce is produce. It all comes from the same place My wife shops a Whole Foods and when it is all put in the refrigerator, you cannot tell the difference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: There is a difference ()
Date: April 03, 2013 10:25PM

LetsRock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Produce is produce. It all comes from the same
> place My wife shops a Whole Foods and when it is
> all put in the refrigerator, you cannot tell the
> difference.

I can tell the difference. Shopper's produce doesn't stay fresh as long as produce from some other stores.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: donut lover ()
Date: April 04, 2013 02:29AM

I shop at Whole Foods, Wegmans and Harris Teeter--it depends on what I am buying. All three have decent produce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Palin ()
Date: April 04, 2013 06:44AM

Fromagerie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cleese Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Monty Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Cheesehead Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Camembert?
> > >
> > >
> > > It's a bit runny....
> >
> >
> > I like it runny, turn it over with all due
> haste.
>
>
> I'm afraid the cat's eaten it....


You actually don't have any cheese, do you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: wondering2 ()
Date: April 04, 2013 06:08PM

Is the produce from H mart safe? Specifically the H mart in Fairfax. The store looks very clean and there seems to be a high turnover so everything looks fresh. I am just wondering about where these greens and vegetables are coming from and if there is anything I have to worry about.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Supermarket Sweep ()
Date: April 04, 2013 06:56PM

H-Mart produce is ok; its the fish/seafood I would avoid.

I agree with There is a Difference on Shoppers' produce but with a caveat. It doesn't last as long (onions in particular seem to go south fast), but the variety is fantastic. Plan ahead, check out recipes for veg types you may not ordinarily use (kohlrabi, turnip greens, Japanese eggplant etc.) and you should be fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: wondering2 ()
Date: April 05, 2013 03:01PM

Thank you supermarket sweep--your reply was helpful. I was not planning on buying seafood from H Mart (fairfax) but appreciate the heads up about that. I was just more curious about the produce.

The Shoppers near me had been slowly deteriorating in terms of produce but recently I had to go in there for a quick purchase and I noticed that the store looked cleaner and the produce fresher. I think this was due to the competition from Harris Teeter up the road. I may take your advice and go back for a closer look. I get their ad in a bundle that comes in the mail.

I have begun to get ads in the mail circulars for Aldie. Has anybody been there and what is it like? The ad is not big but they seem to sell a lot of stuff in addition to food.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 05, 2013 04:04PM

> I have begun to get ads in the mail circulars for Aldie. Has anybody been
> there and what is it like? The ad is not big but they seem to sell a lot
> of stuff in addition to food.

Aldi is no-frills, as-cheap-as-it-gets shopping. Bring your own bags and bag your own groceries, no credit cards accepted, put a 25 cent deposit down for a shopping cart. Alot of the items aren't even on shelves, they just stack the stuff on boxes. They basically cut every corner to keep stuff cheap and they mostly carry just their own brand. I don't know what their produce is like but you can get super deals on canned goods. I stopped in the Chantilly one back in January. I got 4 28oz. cans of crushed tomato, 8 small cans of tomato paste, and 4 cans of diced tomato, all for less than $10. Crazy cheap, and their in house brand is no different than Hunt's or Del monte.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Csdhjc ()
Date: April 06, 2013 01:57AM

I only shop in the produce, natural foods, meat, and seafood department so Safeway and giant is out of the question. Whole foods is nice when it's a weekend because wegmans can be a disaster. I think I like the employees more at wegmans though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: April 06, 2013 10:57AM

Giant was better when Izzy Cohen ran it. Safeway is very variable. Some are very good, while some are terrible. Whole Foods is just irritating. I love how people spend 3 times as much for the same thing. And it has no measurable health benefits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: ex customer ()
Date: April 06, 2013 11:28AM

Que? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are three things in life you shouldn't try
> to save money on; Food, Hookers and Tattoos.
>
> Safeway is expensive and it's bottom of the
> barrel. The one near me routinely leaves expired
> produce on its shelves.


I dont know what it is with Safeway. The produce is rotten, the floors are dirty and littered with stuff that was dropped on the floor. The employees just walk around it. I stopped going to the one near me and go to Shoppers. The place is clean and most of the registers are open. The last time I went in Safeway there were two registers open on a Friday around 6pm. The lines stretched through the store. There were plenty of employees just standing around who could have opened one but they didnt. I hold out hope they will close and maybe a Wegmans will take its place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: No Slopes, Please ()
Date: April 06, 2013 11:36AM

VEIK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Korean store is the way to go
> Hmart
> Lotte in chantilly
>
> Blows wegmans away in produce and seafood

Every Asian mart I've even been in smells like shit!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: wondering2 ()
Date: April 06, 2013 05:03PM

Thank you 'the meeper' regarding information on Aldie; I am planning on going at some point but would not have known that they do not accept credit cards and that I need to bring my own bags (which I try to do anyway but sometimes I forget and use the store bags).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: April 13, 2013 11:34PM

what about Harris Teeter? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No love for Harris Teeter? There's one right in
> the middle of Reston. The thing we like about them
> is we can order most of our weekly our groceries
> online, then just drive up front and someone
> brings everything out and loads the car. I think
> there's a small fee, but it's worth it for us.
> Once in a while they screw something up, like last
> week we got an extra bag full of someone else's
> groceries. Their produce is quite good - I'm not
> sure how the price compares since I don't really
> do our household grocery shopping. Their fresh
> seafood is the best in Reston. Reston's Whole
> Foods seafood is not so good (smells bad, lots of
> not fresh fish w/ cloudy eyes) and is very
> expensive. HT has good sales on seafood and meats.
> HT in Reston is a 24-hour store as well.

Hairless Tweeter's prices are insane. Their SALE prices are often higher than Wegman's regular prices. We only shop there for BOGOs and the occasional only-HT-has-this product.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Mg ()
Date: March 20, 2014 09:54PM

Safeway prices are tricky. Their promotional prices don't seem to be honored at cash register. I always double check, and ask adjustments which is annoying. My husband and I didn't notice it until we paid almost 8$ more for several so called promotional items charged as regular priced. So go figure much money they are milking from unsuspecting customers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Number Six ()
Date: March 21, 2014 04:30AM

Giant and Safeway are both awful. High prices, dirty stores, poorly stocked, old produce, and surly union employees. Why would anyone go there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: ReallyWonder ()
Date: March 21, 2014 06:37AM

How come people here are commenting about Whole Foods? WF is expensive while posters here are the scum of the society who make a living pimping their mothers and sisters. Wow! prostitituion must be booming in Fairfax to afford those kinda grocery prices!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Foodeater Jones ()
Date: March 21, 2014 07:00AM

I live in Annandale and Safeway and Giant are the two closest grocery stores to me. I haven't been in either one in months. I used to be a regular at the Safeway, but high prices and LONG CHECKOUT LINES changed that. Also what someone else said earlier, I routinely found expired items on the shelves. Now I primarily drive out to Wegman's and that nearby Walmart for most of my groceries. I also check the weekly flyer at Harris Teeter and if they have enough on sale I'll stop in there for sale items, but rarely pay full-price for anything there. Also hit Trader Joe's once a month or so for a few things.

I'm just patiently waiting for that ratty K-mart in Annandale to go under so either a Wegman's or a Super Walmart can move in. I'd be happy with either one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: everyone ()
Date: March 21, 2014 07:36AM

Mobbed like Costco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Savy SHopper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > One word: Wegmans. Best prices, highest
> quality
> >
> > Bananas: $0.49/Lb.
> >
> > Milk: $2.85/Gal.
>
> Wegmans is definitely the best, but they tend to
> be mobbed most of the time. Not very convenient
> for anything other than a full week's shopping.
>
> Giant and Safeway both suck. I know Giant can't
> compete on price because they are being crushed by
> union contracts. No idea why Safeway is gouging,
> probably a similar reason.


Safeway is also union

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: cerberus ()
Date: March 21, 2014 10:35AM

everyone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Safeway is also union


Not for long. Safeway was just bought out by one of the worst vulture hedge funds. Busting the union will be the first order of business.

But don't expect any improvement at Safeway sans union. The vultures will pick Safeway's carcass clean.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:31AM

Foodeater Jones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in Annandale and Safeway and Giant are the
> two closest grocery stores to me. I haven't been
> in either one in months. I used to be a regular
> at the Safeway, but high prices and LONG CHECKOUT
> LINES changed that. Also what someone else said
> earlier, I routinely found expired items on the
> shelves. Now I primarily drive out to Wegman's
> and that nearby Walmart for most of my groceries.
> I also check the weekly flyer at Harris Teeter and
> if they have enough on sale I'll stop in there for
> sale items, but rarely pay full-price for anything
> there. Also hit Trader Joe's once a month or so
> for a few things.
>
> I'm just patiently waiting for that ratty K-mart
> in Annandale to go under so either a Wegman's or a
> Super Walmart can move in. I'd be happy with
> either one.


I stopped shopping at the Safeway in Annanadale. Too many bums and illegals hanging out in the parking lot. Once I found a six-pack of mini wine bottles that had been "consumed" and put back on the shelf. I now shop at the Giant down the street or the Whole Foods in Alexandria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:41AM

Giant > Safeway > whole foods. Giant has Ben and Jerry's core flavors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Rockhound ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:50AM

What?! You're a liberal and you don't like Whole Foods? Bad liberal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:56AM

Whats good stuff I should try from Trader Joes?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2014 09:56AM by Gerrymanderer2.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Rockhound ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:58AM

Fudge dipped frozen bananas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:59AM

Rockhound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fudge dipped frozen bananas.


Damnnnn, that sounds good. Im getting those. How do you eat that? Do you lick the fudge off and then deep throat the frozen banana?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: My Thoughts ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:07AM

cerberus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Busting the union will be the first order of business.
>

Unions need to be busted. The time when they were needed has passed.
Now they're the vultures conspiring to extort from the businesses and
suck the members paychecks dry, using the funds to promote the
political goals of their Democrat-leaning leaders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Poison Me ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:10AM

VEIK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Korean store is the way to go
> Hmart
> Lotte in chantilly
>
> Blows wegmans away in produce and seafood

Yea right. Went to Hmart once to check out getting some mussels. They had them in a big barrel with ice. Half if not more were opened and the place smelled like rotting fish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:12AM

Take it easy there tough guy.
Attachments:
19376.gif

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Rockhound ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:13AM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rockhound Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fudge dipped frozen bananas.
>
>
> Damnnnn, that sounds good. Im getting those. How
> do you eat that? Do you lick the fudge off and
> then deep throat the frozen banana?


No, sorry, they are bite size.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: No Fan Of Kimchee ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:17AM

Poison Me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Half if not more were opened and
> the place smelled like rotting fish.

That had nothing to do with the products. That rotting fish
smell comes from the Korean women working there. Bathing is
not a part of Asian culture.
Attachments:
Korean Women.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Tough Guy ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:20AM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take it easy there tough guy.
Attachments:
Unions.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:20AM

Ole kimchi eatin ass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Rockhound ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:24AM

I frequent any of those foreign super markets. I get some of the best produce and fish from those places. It is usually a battle from the parking lot to the shopping cart and they typically don't believe in hand baskets but it pays off in the end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Born In East LA ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:28AM

Rockhound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I frequent any of those foreign super markets. I
> get some of the best produce and fish from those
> places. It is usually a battle from the parking
> lot to the shopping cart and they typically don't
> believe in hand baskets but it pays off in the
> end.

Don't come crying when you get some weird infestation in your bowels from eating that shit!
Attachments:
Buy A.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:34AM

Rockhound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I frequent any of those foreign super markets. I
> get some of the best produce and fish from those
> places. It is usually a battle from the parking
> lot to the shopping cart and they typically don't
> believe in hand baskets but it pays off in the
> end.


In reference to the "bad liberal" comment: I was a conservative until I started to know better.

Also, being married to a Salvi takes me to Hispanic grocery stores ALL THE TIME. It's a much better value but I can never find bacon :/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Yuck ()
Date: March 22, 2014 11:25AM

You married a spic? Ewwwwww! Of course fat white chicks don't get much choice. We all hope there are no kids involved. Does he still have a wife and kids back in El Salvador?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 22, 2014 03:07PM

Yuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You married a spic? Ewwwwww! Of course fat white
> chicks don't get much choice. We all hope there
> are no kids involved. Does he still have a wife
> and kids back in El Salvador?


Not fat. Thanks tho.

No kids or wife in ES. I've been 4 times, plus we are married both here in the US and in ES.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: asdfasfasdfsdf ()
Date: March 22, 2014 03:47PM

thisisajokeright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yuck Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You married a spic? Ewwwwww! Of course fat
> white
> > chicks don't get much choice. We all hope there
> > are no kids involved. Does he still have a wife
> > and kids back in El Salvador?
>
>
> Not fat. Thanks tho.
>
> No kids or wife in ES. I've been 4 times, plus we
> are married both here in the US and in ES.

Lots of interesting things at those types of stores. Also Latte's, but watch out for Asians banging your doors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: freedomnow ()
Date: March 22, 2014 03:48PM

Has anybody heard about money corruption in FPYC?
Coaches were telling me that they know for fact and have proof that the president of FPYC Tony DeFlumeri and women called Becky McNaughton getting money under the table from stores and different websites that they order jerseys and equipment from And they trying to directing people towards the website and stores of their favorites.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: coachben ()
Date: March 22, 2014 03:56PM

NO wonder these mother Fuckers don’t quit until we kick their ass out.
They raise the registration fee including some bullshit tee shirt and shorts and charged me $70. I priced that down the road in Fairfax and I can get it half of that price. THEY ALL BUNCH OF Scum bags

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Sean Hannity ()
Date: March 22, 2014 04:19PM

Hands down Walmart.

Fair and balanced.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: cerberus ()
Date: March 22, 2014 04:31PM

My Thoughts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cerberus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Busting the union will be the first order of
> business.
> >
>
> Unions need to be busted. The time when they were
> needed has passed.
> Now they're the vultures conspiring to extort from
> the businesses and
> suck the members paychecks dry, using the funds to
> promote the
> political goals of their Democrat-leaning leaders.


Yeah OK, Rush.

Just don't hold your breath waiting for your corporate gods to pass on their lower labor costs to you.

Sucker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 22, 2014 04:35PM

asdfasfasdfsdf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thisisajokeright Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yuck Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > You married a spic? Ewwwwww! Of course fat
> > white
> > > chicks don't get much choice. We all hope
> there
> > > are no kids involved. Does he still have a
> wife
> > > and kids back in El Salvador?
> >
> >
> > Not fat. Thanks tho.
> >
> > No kids or wife in ES. I've been 4 times, plus
> we
> > are married both here in the US and in ES.
>
> Lots of interesting things at those types of
> stores. Also Latte's, but watch out for Asians
> banging your doors.


Ugh, don't get me started on tripe *gag* sometimes it's just too much to handle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: asdfasfasdfsdf ()
Date: March 22, 2014 06:27PM

thisisajokeright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ugh, don't get me started on tripe *gag* sometimes
> it's just too much to handle.

She who puts spic dick in her mouth thinks tripe is disgusting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 22, 2014 06:43PM

asdfasfasdfsdf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thisisajokeright Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ugh, don't get me started on tripe *gag*
> sometimes
> > it's just too much to handle.
>
> She who puts spic dick in her mouth thinks tripe
> is disgusting?


......... .... . You of all ppl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: asdfasfasdfsdf ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:34PM

thisisajokeright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> asdfasfasdfsdf Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > thisisajokeright Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Ugh, don't get me started on tripe *gag*
> > sometimes
> > > it's just too much to handle.
> >
> > She who puts spic dick in her mouth thinks
> tripe
> > is disgusting?
>
>
> ......... .... . You of all ppl.

Whoa! I didn't type that!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:44PM

You should register your name so others can't use it then.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: asdfasfasdfsdf ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:53PM

Would it really make a difference? BTW, I did post that just to see how you would react.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 23, 2014 05:36AM

asdfasfasdfsdf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would it really make a difference? BTW, I did post
> that just to see how you would react.


Now wait, in the other thread you said you didn't post it. Melinda, quit fucking around!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: asdfasfasdfsdf ()
Date: March 23, 2014 07:04AM

thisisajokeright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should register your name so others can't use
> it then.

You're probably right, too many pranksters on here. (PS: That wasn't me above either).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 23, 2014 08:38AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harris Teeter's produce is just as good as Whole
> Foods, and better than Safeway/Giant.

False. HT has the absolute shittiest produce. Every single god damned apple they've ever sold me has been mealy. EVERY. ONE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: asdfasfasdfsdf ()
Date: March 23, 2014 09:17AM

Not true. You've enjoyed the ones I brought that came from HT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: hi ()
Date: March 23, 2014 01:32PM

WEGMANS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: March 29, 2014 07:52PM

This month's Consumer Reports reviews grocery stores. Wegmans is first, followed by Trader Joe's. Giant is pretty far down, Safeway even farther. No surprise there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Foods v. Safeway v. Giant
Posted by: FusilliJerry ()
Date: March 29, 2014 11:20PM

I shop at H.T.'s as it is right across the street from me, but if I want to buy steaks, Wegman's has better meat and is cheaper by $2 a pound unless H.T. is running a sale. Plus the one across the is all fucked up on how they cut them, not all uniform thickness and tend to cut them on the think side.

If I smoke something cheapo Kamado, like pork shoulders or ribs, I usually go to Wegman's, but the Smithfield Porkloin ribs that they sell in H.T's are pretty good. I bought some a couple weeks ago and they were half price or buy one, get one free. $50 worth for ~$25.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
p39KJ
This forum powered by Phorum.