HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New VA Resident and 1st HOV Ticket EVER
Posted by: PC2610 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:37PM

I need advice...PLEASE!!!!

I am a new resident to VA (3 months) and received a ticket yesterday on I-66 (during PM traffic) towards Front Royal. I had just entered the ramp (hadn't merged yet) when the trooper pulled me over. I admit that it's my fault that I didn't notice the sign, however this was my 1st time taking I-66 in that direction because I was off work and was on my way to Vienna to pick my child up from school.

Usually I pick him up after I get off work and take the street routes from Merrifield. Then from Vienna, I drive towards Washington (which does not have HOV in the afternoon).

Long story short, I think that $125 + $62 (CONVINIENCE FEE) is alot of $ to charge someone with a 1st time offense. Do WARNINGS not exist in VA? What would happend if I try to go to court to fight it? If found guilt, would I have to pay the $187 + court costs?

BTW...I have held a DL for 16 years and have NEVER received a traffic ticket. Do HOV tickets carry points? Can this fine be reduced?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New VA Resident and 1st HOV Ticket EVER
Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:39PM

There's a first for everything, donkey.

Posted by: kthMG ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:46PM

PC2610 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I admit that it's my fault that I didn't
> notice the sign...

Your fault, ya got caught. So pay the fine, chaulk the cost up to experience & move on. Done.

Glad I could help.

Posted by: Virginian ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:46PM

To the OP, what would be your defense if you took it to court? That you were illegally in the HOV lanes? Or maybe that the officer is really lying about your presence there? Yeah, you would lose, and yes you would pay court costs.

Date: March 21, 2013 12:49PM

I know that there's a 1st time for everything, but almost $200 for NON-reckless driving is extreme (especially for a 1st time offender). The trooper could've even allowed me to exit and not give me the ticket. The exit ramp was a few feet away and merging onto 66 was not necessary.

I guess its all business and they could care less that times are hard to be giving our hard earned $ away. I completely understand if I was endangering someone's life; but for an HOV violation is ridiculous.

Posted by: Warnings ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:53PM

Virginia does have warnings for HOV violations. They look like this.

imgp2364_falls_church_hov.jpg

As you can see, there are actually TWO warnings. One at the street level and one above you.

Perhaps being new to VA isn't your problem. Perhaps you can't read.

Date: March 21, 2013 12:54PM

BTW..for everyone that's assuming that I willingly violated the HOV restriction is crazy! I am NOT a millionaire to risk getting expensive tickets. It was an honest mistake, I had never taken 66 in that direction during rush hour.

I thank anyone that has constructive advice. Believe me; its a hard lesson learned.

Posted by: distracted driving ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:56PM

PC2610 Wrote:
> BTW..for everyone that's assuming that I willingly
> violated the HOV restriction is crazy! I am NOT a
> millionaire to risk getting expensive tickets. It
> was an honest mistake, I had never taken 66 in
> that direction during rush hour.
>
> I thank anyone that has constructive advice.
> Believe me; its a hard lesson learned.

What was occupying your attention so much that you weren't paying attention to the signage that warned you multiple times that you were about to enter an HOV lane?

On the phone?
Texting?

Posted by: PkCVp ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:59PM

Dude.

There is no way out of it/around it. Pay it. Move on. Learn to read, or avoid 66. Its a shitwash of traffic anyway.

Date: March 21, 2013 01:01PM

At Warnings:

As you can see, there are actually TWO warnings. One at the street level and one above you.

Perhaps being new to VA isn't your problem. Perhaps you can't read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I paid attention this morning when I had to take 66 and it definately did not have the sign that you posted. It did have a smaller sign, that I never noticed before. I guess you're perfect and have never made an honest mistake.

I don't understand why people go on these chats to insult people that have done no wrong to you! I came on this site to get advice from people that have lived in VA for a longtime. I apologize to everyone that was offended or bothered with my questions. I guess kindness is something that many people know nothing about.

Date: March 21, 2013 01:04PM

I was not texting, eating, playing with my radio, etc... I just never noticed the sign. It was not a huge sign. Anyways, lesson learned...thanks!

Posted by: welcome to the machine ()
Date: March 21, 2013 01:04PM

Welcome to Northern Virginia.
Soon you will be mean to other people, feel the need to lease a BMW that you can't afford, Buy a McMansion and feel the need to be pretentious. Northern Va welcomes you to the area.

Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: March 21, 2013 01:05PM

I've been to traffic court once in my life - didn't realize my license was expired. This was in Fairfax City, not the county. Virtually everyone else there was a kid who had been caught for a moving violation. Some had lawyers with them. Almost everyone's case was dismissed. I was appalled.

Bottom line - if you have more time than money, you can contest it. You might get a sympathetic judge. But personally, I wouldn't bother.

Posted by: Warnings ()
Date: March 21, 2013 01:06PM

PC2610 Wrote:
> At Warnings:
>
> As you can see, there are actually TWO warnings.
> One at the street level and one above you.
>
> Perhaps being new to VA isn't your problem.
> Perhaps you can't read.
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> ----------------------
>
> I paid attention this morning when I had to take
> 66 and it definately did not have the sign that
> you posted.

Where were you when you were pulled over?

> It did have a smaller sign, that I
> never noticed before.

HOV signage is prominent on 66.

> I guess you're perfect and
> have never made an honest mistake.

No. But, as an adult, I accept the consequences of my mistake. You should try it sometime instead of whining.

> I don't understand why people go on these chats to
> insult people that have done no wrong to you!

If you are an HOV violator, you are clogging up a road that I use legally. So, you very well could have been doing something to me.

> I came on this site to get advice from people that
> have lived in VA for a longtime.

I have lived here 34 years.

> I apologize to everyone that was offended or bothered with my
> questions. I guess kindness is something that many
> people know nothing about.

And I guess you know nothing about being an attentive motorist.

Date: March 21, 2013 01:08PM

If you want kindness, tell you awful experience to your mom. You came on this web site asking for advice, which you received and now you want to argue with the people who gave their opinions.

Posted by: not looking for advice ()
Date: March 21, 2013 01:20PM

Virginian Wrote:
> If you want kindness, tell you awful experience to
> your mom. You came on this web site asking for
> advice, which you received and now you want to
> argue with the people who gave their opinions.

OP didn't come for advice. S/he came looking for sympathy. Consider the victim card played.

OP, this is for you:

"I can't believe that cop gave you a ticket. What big fat mean jerk!"

Feel better now?

Date: March 21, 2013 01:21PM

Warning:

You must have nothing better to do than to come on these chats to waste people's time with your non-sense. I guess you're the one that can't read or be truthful.

I wrote:
I paid attention this morning when I had to take 66 and it definately did not have the sign THAT YOU POSTED. IT DID HAVE A SMALLER SIGN, THAT I NEVER NOTICED BEFORE.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
AGAIN...in case you didn't catch it before....I said that it was an honest mistake....AND the trooper could've allowed me to exit, without ever merging onto 66; SO I would've never clogged your precious 66. Obviously, if I've held a license for 16 years and have never received a ticket...NOT even a PARKING ticket...I must be a VERY attentive driver.

I guess it was just not my day. I hope something like this NEVER happens to you; you know having to give away $200 for a simple and honest mistake.

Posted by: Warning ()
Date: March 21, 2013 01:28PM

PC2610 Wrote:
> Warning:
>
> You must have nothing better to do than to come on
> these chats to waste people's time with your
> non-sense. I guess you're the one that can't read
> or be truthful.

And you must have nothing better to do than come on here and whine about your ticket.

> I wrote:
> I paid attention this morning when I had to take
> 66 and it definately did not have the sign THAT
> YOU POSTED. IT DID HAVE A SMALLER SIGN, THAT I
> NEVER NOTICED BEFORE.

I read and understood what you wrote. However, you should provide the location to see if you are being truthful. Remember, I am not the one that failed to notice or read a sign for three months. Who would that be again?

For all we know there are more signs that you aren't noticing.

> -------------------------
> AGAIN...in case you didn't catch it before....I
> said that it was an honest mistake....AND the
> trooper could've allowed me to exit, without ever
> merging onto 66; SO I would've never clogged your
> precious 66. Obviously, if I've held a license for
> 16 years and have never received a ticket...NOT
> even a PARKING ticket...I must be a VERY attentive
> driver.

So attentive that you just noticed a sign after 3 months? Yeah, sounds like it.

> I guess it was just not my day. I hope something
> like this NEVER happens to you; you know having to
> give away $200 for a simple and honest mistake.

It has. I just don't whine about it. I parked in a space that I thought I could park in. Finding my car towed a couple of hours later and paying a couple of hundred dollars to get it out taught me to read the signs around where I park a bit more thoroughly.

Maybe you should consider this a teaching moment.

Date: March 21, 2013 01:33PM

not looking for advice Wrote:
> Virginian Wrote:
> -----
> > If you want kindness, tell you awful experience
> to
> > your mom. You came on this web site asking for
> > advice, which you received and now you want to
> > argue with the people who gave their opinions.
>
>
> OP didn't come for advice. S/he came looking for
> sympathy. Consider the victim card played.
>
> OP, this is for you:
>
> "I can't believe that cop gave you a ticket. What
> big fat mean jerk!"
>
> Feel better now?

Not trying to play victim. I explained what happened.

In my OP, I asked several questions and only received a response to 1 or 2 of my questions. The rest were all opinions from people like you, who reply just to give people a piece of your mind.

Thanks for nothing. Have a great day!

Date: March 21, 2013 01:36PM

PC2610 Wrote:

>
> I guess its all business and they could care less
> that times are hard to be giving our hard earned $
> away.

If they COULD care less, they wouldn't have ticketed you, BUT you did break the law which you admitted.

When Messicans run across the border into the US, does Border Patrol smile at them and politely ask them to turn around and go back, and they do?

Some fucked up logic you have.

Date: March 21, 2013 01:39PM

PC2610 () - Welcome to Virginia! Our state troopers are notorious pricks (ask any County or City Police Officer and they'll agree with me). They've probably heard every conceivable excuse which is why they're so mechanical in their issuance of citations. Consider it a driving tax. Pay it and move on - don't loose any more sleep over it. You would spend more time and money trying to fight or expunge it, that it would not be worth the effort. If you get a hybrid, you can get on HOV anytime you want, but you need special license plates.

An HOV violation appears to be a 3 point infraction for second offense or greater according to Virginia DMV http://www.dmvnow.com/drivers/#points_3.asp and if your insurance company asks, you will have to tell the truth, or they can drop you.

Northern Virginia HOV Lane Fines: First offense: $125
Second offense: $250 plus 3 points on your driving record
Third offense: $500 plus 3 points on your driving record
Fourth offense: $1,000 plus 3 points on your driving record

BTW - Ignore the young punks trying to troll you on this forum - they're just angry at the world bc their testicles haven't dropped yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 01:43PM by White Possibly Hispanic.

Date: March 21, 2013 01:45PM

White Possibly Hispanic Wrote:
> PC2610 () - Welcome to Virginia! Our state
> troopers are notorious pricks

If you're breaking the law.

(ask any County or City Police Officer and they'll agree with me).

Not likely, liar.

> They've probably heard every conceivable excuse which is why they're so mechanical in their issuance of citations. Consider it a driving tax.

More because there's so many really bad drivers here like OP.

> Pay it and move on - don't loose any more sleep
> over it.

Finally, something right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 01:46PM by Ralph Pootawn.

Date: March 21, 2013 01:49PM

Yes, I've lived in VA 3 months, but hardly ever take 66 because of the traffic.

As for the location, I didn't see the need to post my exact location. I only wanted advice on whether judges are lenient with 1st time offenders (as far as dropping points; if this violation warrants them or on reducing the fines).

Obviously, if I went to court, I couldn't get away with lying about posted signs, since the trooper wrote on the ticket the exact location of where I was pulled over. I am certain that they know which signs they have posted at that location.

It makes no sense to lie, if I wanted a real response to my questions. Anyone, that asks for advice and lies about the issue...is stupid.

Posted by: Warning ()
Date: March 21, 2013 01:50PM

PC2610,

You must think people on this board are very gullible or you just don't care about lying. According to your scenario you were attempting to access 66 Wesbound during HOV. This would imply that you were inside the beltway.

Because you won't provide which entry point you attempted to illegally access 66 (likely because you are hiding something), let's look at the very few entry points of which you could have taken.

Coming straight from DC from Roosevelt bridge. There are at least two overhead signs and one on the side.

Accessing 66 from Lee Highway past Scott street. There is an overhead sign a large sign to the right and a small sign to the right.

From Lee Highway past Spout Run. An overhead sign and a street level sign in each direction.

From Glebe/Fairfax. An overhead sign and a street level sign.

From Wash Blvd. An overhead sign and a street level sign.

From Rt. 7. An overhead and street sign in each direction.

So which overhead sign are you missing?

Posted by: PGyjL ()
Date: March 21, 2013 01:56PM

PC2610 Wrote:
> I guess it was just not my day.

Yes, and we all have them. It's part of life, to take an (in your mind) unjustified hit very now and then. Healthy people acknowledge their mistakes, pay whatever penalty is involved, learn from the experience, and move on.

For example: On President's Day night last month I was driving through my own neighborhood @ 7:30 PM. I came to a 4-way stop. I signaled a left turn and stopped (or at least I THOUGHT I stopped). There were no other cars at the intersection, so I proceeded to turn. Immediately, there were flashing police lights behind me. I stopped and the officer informed me that I'd "rolled-through" the stop sign. I told the officer I disagreed, but to no avail, and I was issued a $92 ticket.

I could go to court & argue my innocence, but it is unlikely I’d prevail. So, I paid the ticket and am more careful to come to a complete stop @ stop signs & traffic lights (when turning right).

Why are you dwelling on this minor inconvenience?

Date: March 21, 2013 02:00PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> PC2610 Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > I guess its all business and they could care
> less
> > that times are hard to be giving our hard earned
> $
> > away.
>
> If they COULD care less, they wouldn't have
> ticketed you, BUT you did break the law which you
> admitted.
>
> When Messicans run across the border into the US,
> does Border Patrol smile at them and politely ask
> them to turn around and go back, and they do?
>
> Some fucked up logic you have.
------------------------------------------------

No, your example and comparison is illogical! Just shows your ignorance.

I get that I broke the law, but it's not like I robbed a bank, committed a hit-and-run, DUI/DWI, speeding, etc. I merged on an ALL HOV highway. Even the trooper told me that VA is the only state that has an ALL HOV highway.

Anyways, YES I am guilty....I've said it many times. I never denied it. I just think that its a CRIME that they charge so much $ for that violation + a RIDICULOUS convinience fee. AND yes, lesson learned.

Posted by: 4234 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:05PM

PC2610 Wrote:
> I need advice...PLEASE!!!!
>

You want advice? Ok. Never ask for advice on this forum again. It's filled with petty self-hating pricks, that thrive on misfortune of others. Most of the time I'm no exception either. But if you want leniency, dress professionaly, go to court and tell the prosecutor what you told everyone here. About honest mistake, about your clean records, about your tight budget. There is significant change he/she will offer you a reduced penalty for a guilty plea. If he doesnt, go to trial, plead "guilty with explanation" and speak with the judge. Tell the judge that you recognize your mistake and take full responsibility but for abovementioned reasons you are respectfully asking for reduced fine/penalty.

You have a pretty good chance of walking out with lesser fine.

Posted by: nostradamus ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:07PM

I got an HOV ticket about 10 years ago and fought it unsuccessfully in court. The judge found me guilty, waived the points, but not the fine. I could have cared less about the points, it was the fine I wanted waived.

Posted by: Not the Place ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:08PM

You're new to Virginia and you must be new to this board. If you are expecting the milk of human kindness here (or even some sense of civility), this is not the place. You would probably get a lot more help on City-Data.

BTW, I don't think that $125 is nearly enough for HOV violators - and neither do they, since there are so many. I understand that you made a mistake, but the ratio of clueless people to deliberate HOV violators definitely skews to one side.

Date: March 21, 2013 02:09PM

White Possibly Hispanic Wrote:
> PC2610 () - Welcome to Virginia! Our state
> troopers are notorious pricks (ask any County or
> City Police Officer and they'll agree with me).
> They've probably heard every conceivable excuse
> which is why they're so mechanical in their
> issuance of citations. Consider it a driving tax.
> Pay it and move on - don't loose any more sleep
> over it. You would spend more time and money
> trying to fight or expunge it, that it would not
> be worth the effort. If you get a hybrid, you can
> get on HOV anytime you want, but you need special
> license plates.
>
> An HOV violation appears to be a 3 point
> infraction for second offense or greater according
> to Virginia DMV
> http://www.dmvnow.com/drivers/#points_3.asp[/ > URL] and if your insurance company asks, you will > have to tell the truth, or they can drop you. > > Northern Virginia HOV Lane Fines: First offense: > $125 > Second offense: $250 plus 3 points on your > driving record > Third offense: $500 plus 3 points on your > driving record > Fourth offense: $1,000 plus 3 points on > your driving record > > BTW - Ignore the young punks trying to troll you > on this forum - they're just angry at the world bc > their testicles haven't dropped yet. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for answering about the points. Of course, I hate having to pay all that $, but I was more concerned with points on my clean driving record. You're right, these people are very ignorant and must have a pretty meaningless existence that they feel like they have to take their frustrations out on complete strangers, who did no wrong to them. Again, ty! Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 02:10PM by PC2610.

Posted by: duhhhhhh ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:16PM

Traffic is so bad around here, and the average salary around here is so high that if they set the first fine @ $50 & $100 for the second, no one would pay attention to the HOV restrictions until they were caught, at least twice.

I mean, think about it. Spend an extra hour in traffic every day, or take a chance on getting caught. If you manage to skate through for even just 1 month before you're caught, and the first fine is only $50, that's essentially paying $2.50 a day in tolls to save an hour a day in traffic.

They have to make it so expensive it's not worth it.

Date: March 21, 2013 02:21PM

duhhhhhh Wrote:
> Traffic is so bad around here, and the average
> salary around here is so high that if they set the
> first fine @ $50 & $100 for the second, no one
> would pay attention to the HOV restrictions until
> they were caught, at least twice.
>
> I mean, think about it. Spend an extra hour in
> traffic every day, or take a chance on getting
> caught. If you manage to skate through for even
> just 1 month before you're caught, and the first
> fine is only $50, that's essentially paying $2.50
> a day in tolls to save an hour a day in traffic.
>
> They have to make it so expensive it's not worth
> it.

What you said makes, sense but sucks for those who don't think that way. I know, traffic is horrendous here in NoVA. Thanks!

Posted by: Judge ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:22PM

LOLZ:

"I admit that it's my fault that I didn't notice the sign"

Posted by: e: ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:26PM

Judge Wrote:
> LOLZ:
>
> "I admit that it's my fault that I didn't notice
> the sign"

Which sign? The overhead sign that was missed or the oneo n the side of the road. OP must be completely oblivious to the surroundings when driving.

Date: March 21, 2013 02:51PM

Maybe the OP should take this to court. She could use her ploy of "When caught in a criminal act, plead innocense to a greater crime".

Posted by: village idiot ()
Date: March 21, 2013 03:09PM

Why is the fine so high? Actually, years ago the fines were $50 for first, $100, then $250, and $500 for the fourth and higher. Also, there were no points. Since the fines were so low, people frequently took the risk and ran the HOV lanes. The fines were raised and points added as a deterrent.

And don't bother going to court, the fines are statutory minimums so the only thing the judge could do would be to waive court costs. They can't reduce the costs.

Posted by: Johnny Law ()
Date: March 21, 2013 03:33PM

As others have said, the fine is so high because the previous fines were considered merely a nuisance tax by the self important HOV violators who would routinely take I-66 or the HOV lanes of I-395 to/from DC to beat the traffic. It was so bad, at one point before the fines were upped, we counted 10 violators for every 1 vehicle meeting the HOV requirement.

You can try going to court and explaining what happened to the judge. You did not mention the time of day, but that is important to note as well. Depending on the judge handling traffic court on your date, whether the judge believes you, and how many people pissed the judge of before your case is heard, will determine whether you get the charges dismissed or are found guilty. If possible bring something to show the judge proof that you just recently moved here. It may help!

We here all kinds of excuses when citing drivers for HOV Violations and so do the judges presiding over traffic court!

Good luck.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: March 21, 2013 04:00PM

PC2610 Wrote:
> Long story short, I think that $125 + $62
> (CONVINIENCE FEE) is alot of $ to charge someone
> with a 1st time offense.

Teehee. Tough luck buttercup. Serves you right.

Date: March 21, 2013 04:04PM

PC2610 Wrote:

> You're right, these people are very ignorant and
> must have a pretty meaningless existence that they
> feel like they have to take their frustrations out
> on complete strangers, who did no wrong to them.
>
> Again, ty!

Thanks for the lulz

Posted by: Blowtorch999 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 04:28PM

Welcome to the The Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia. Dont you feel loved? This state will fine and tax you to death.

Date: March 21, 2013 04:36PM

By the way, you think $200 is a big fine? try getting a reckless driving ticket. I think they are $1000 minimum now.

Posted by: Rocket 69 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 04:44PM

What a whiney bitch. I hope she and her whiney brat get the hell out of here soon.

Posted by: FD11 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 04:56PM

PC2610 Wrote:
> I know that there's a 1st time for everything, but
> almost $200 for NON-reckless driving is extreme
> (especially for a 1st time offender). The trooper
> could've even allowed me to exit and not give me
> the ticket. The exit ramp was a few feet away and
> merging onto 66 was not necessary.
>
> I guess its all business and they could care less
> that times are hard to be giving our hard earned $
> away. I completely understand if I was endangering
> someone's life; but for an HOV violation is
> ridiculous.

Typical ignorant person. You screwed up and yet you continue to make excuses for your actions. How about you just shut up and take your ticket like a damn man. Sheesh.

Posted by: phil d ()
Date: March 21, 2013 05:01PM

Have you asked Gordon Blvd for advice, she is the resident expert on everything. Just expect a stupid pic and the words "butthurt" and "LOLZ" in your exclusive response.
Attachments:
44334.png

Posted by: zero personality ()
Date: March 21, 2013 06:45PM

THE single MOST poignant, honest and well-written statement ever posted on this board:
"BTW - Ignore the young punks trying to troll you on this forum - they're just angry at the world bc their testicles haven't dropped yet." BRA-VO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 06:45PM by zero personality.

Posted by: Dumbass ()
Date: March 21, 2013 06:47PM

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Pay the fine, move on and shut the fuck up!

Date: March 21, 2013 06:49PM

zero personality Wrote:
> THE single MOST poignant, honest and well-written
> statement ever posted on this board:
>

a. Profoundly moving; touching

You sure thats the word you wanted to use?

Im not exactly moved at the moment.

Posted by: To funny ()
Date: March 21, 2013 08:18PM

I accidentally fell and had sex with your wife. WHOOPS!

Posted by: Trooper Too ()
Date: March 21, 2013 10:34PM

Pay the fine and don't do it again. State troopers do not have time to listen to and sort out everyone's alleged excuse.

Posted by: guberment ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:26AM

On behalf of the commonwealth thank you for paying into the general fund of the state. We appreciate your business. Come again.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:36PM

Just show up for your court date, plead "no contest", and pay the fine. It will probably be less and if you pay it by mail.

The two tickets I got were much cheaper because I did this.

It is also rather fun to see the shit that goes on in a courtroom. You get to see all types in there being tried for offenses that would have you shitting your pants if you were in their shoes. No license, DUI, reckless, etc - and they're up there in their flipflops and sweatpants like they do this every Tuesday.

Posted by: katiesmith ()
Date: March 24, 2013 09:19AM

Welcome to Virginia.

Other things you should be aware of: pedestrians, cyclists, reckless driving tickets, buses, idiots who text while they drive, idiot helicopter parents who drive twice the speed limit in their gas guzzlers to get their little brats from a to b to c.

PC2610 Wrote:
>
> I am a new resident to VA (3 months) and received
> a ticket yesterday on I-66 (during PM traffic)
> towards Front Royal. I had just entered the ramp
> (hadn't merged yet) when the trooper pulled me
> over. I admit that it's my fault that I didn't
> notice the sign, however this was my 1st time
> taking I-66 in that direction because I was off
> work and was on my way to Vienna to pick my child
> up from school.
>
> Usually I pick him up after I get off work and
> take the street routes from Merrifield. Then from
> Vienna, I drive towards Washington (which does not
> have HOV in the afternoon).
>
> with a 1st time offense. Do WARNINGS not exist in
> VA? What would happend if I try to go to court to
> fight it? If found guilt, would I have to pay the
> $187 + court costs?
>
> BTW...I have held a DL for 16 years and have NEVER
> received a traffic ticket. Do HOV tickets carry
> points? Can this fine be reduced?

Date: March 24, 2013 09:22AM

I'll second that.

Rocket 69 Wrote:
> What a whiney bitch. I hope she and her whiney
> brat get the hell out of here soon.

Date: March 24, 2013 09:23AM

Or perhaps the problem was they were reading a text.

Warnings Wrote:
> Virginia does have warnings for HOV violations.
> They look like this.
>
> src="http://www.georgezrust.com/carfree/wp-content
> /uploads/2008/07/imgp2364_falls_church_hov.jpg">
>
> As you can see, there are actually TWO warnings.
> One at the street level and one above you.
>
> Perhaps being new to VA isn't your problem.
> Perhaps you can't read.

Date: March 24, 2013 09:25AM

From this post they already sound like they fit in with the rest of the self entitled I'm the exception to the rule assholes. Not to mention the I need to pick up my little fat spoiled brat at the door of the school group because walking is evil assholes.

welcome to the machine Wrote:
> Welcome to Northern Virginia.
> Soon you will be mean to other people, feel the
> need to lease a BMW that you can't afford, Buy a
> McMansion and feel the need to be pretentious.
> Northern Va welcomes you to the area.

Posted by: theanswer ()
Date: March 24, 2013 05:36PM

If you are so honest a person then do what honest people do, take responsibility, pay the fine,and don't do it again. There is no other answer.

Posted by: Perry "Show Me the Money" Mason. ()
Date: March 24, 2013 05:47PM

Virginia is a communist state when it comes to traffic laws and violations.

One reason is that half the Virginia legislators (Albo) are ambulance-chasing traffic lawyers.

So they pass extraordinary laws for minimal violations and defendants end up paying these legislator/lawyers beaucoup fees. Only in Virginia is 45 MPH considered RECKLESS DRIVING. Give me a F**king Break!!! I hate this backward-azz state...it's like living in the 1950s with Andy Griffith and Opie.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 25, 2013 11:54AM

Perry "Show Me the Money" Mason. Wrote:
> Virginia is a communist state when it comes to
> traffic laws and violations.
>
> One reason is that half the Virginia legislators
> (Albo) are ambulance-chasing traffic lawyers.
>
> So they pass extraordinary laws for minimal
> violations and defendants end up paying these
> legislator/lawyers beaucoup fees. Only in
> Virginia is 45 MPH considered RECKLESS DRIVING.
> Give me a F**king Break!!! I hate this
> backward-azz state...it's like living in the 1950s
> with Andy Griffith and Opie.
Attachments:
haha ha ha ha butthurt.jpg

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: March 26, 2013 06:29PM

Okay. The HOV on I-66, the toll road, and I-95 was in place when I moved here about ten years ago. I read the signs, followed the law, and never got an HOV ticket.

I must be a fucking genius compared to the OP.

Date: March 27, 2013 04:15PM

I think a lot of people are fucking genius's compared to the OP.

wnrsm Wrote:
> Okay. The HOV on I-66, the toll road, and I-95
> was in place when I moved here about ten years
> ago. I read the signs, followed the law, and
> never got an HOV ticket.
>
> I must be a fucking genius compared to the OP.

Posted by: Miker2 ()
Date: March 27, 2013 04:25PM

Don't worry about posting your exact location...I'll do it for you.

You were getting on at route 7. Any exit further east, they can't ticket you because you could potentially have been going to Dulles (and HOV restrictions do not apply to airport traffic). Any exit further west, you're beyond the HOV zone.

Thank you, drive thru.

PC2610 Wrote:

> As for the location, I didn't see the need to post
> my exact location. I only wanted advice on whether
> judges are lenient with 1st time offenders (as far
> as dropping points; if this violation warrants
> them or on reducing the fines).

Posted by: Bobby Sunshine ()
Date: July 10, 2013 07:43PM

What a bunch of pricks. I just happen to be looking for information about the same thing and found this load of crap.

Yep. We both screwed up and entered an HOV during the wrong time. Cops were doing their jobs and yes they hear the same excuse from all the assholes who intentionally break the law. Which is probably most of you and why you are all such angry little shits. So of course the cops have little choice but to ticket everyone at face value.

Nope. I'm not telling the place where it occurred or any other details. I messed up, accepted that already. It wouldn't matter if I said the sky is blue and the grass is green, the jerk asses here would find a way to prick out on that. It makes them feel better about their failures at life to make someone else feel like crap.

The only good advice given by anyone is pay the fine and move on like I did. It sucks when we make mistakes, but that is how we learn. And I bet if we had both been paying a little more attention those mornings that would have been one less mistake in our lives. Thank you to those who tried to show compassion to a new member to your state. To all the others who are about to bash my post, grow up, get a life, or just go away. I'm out of here and know better that to bother coming back.

Posted by: bradley ()
Date: October 13, 2014 05:34PM

I just moved to virginia too and let me tell you, the people here are complete idiots. I'm from north carolina and wow the IQ drops tremendously the second you enter Virginia. You people are a bunch of fucking idiots in this state. Virgina is one of the more "ghetto" states I have lived in. The infrastructure is terrible, the communities are full of a bunch of people who don't realize they aren't north enough to act as high scale as they do. Fuck everyone in this forum who lives in virginia or is from virginia. I'd rather live with ISIS.

Posted by: virginia guy ()
Date: October 13, 2014 06:39PM

OP is from NC. Enough said. BTW, go back to NC.

Posted by: Dudeorama ()
Date: October 13, 2014 06:53PM

Here's a tip from a life long NOVA resident...stay out of the HOV lanes if you are not HOV. When you merge into the lane from the off ramp, get out of them. There are plenty of signs and warnings to let you know what not to do. Pay your fine and move along. Lesson learned.

Posted by: Conshohocken ()
Date: October 14, 2014 12:50AM

PC2610 Wrote:
>
> up from school.
>
>
> $187 + court costs?
>

Go back home to New Jersey.

Posted by: 4UvWM ()
Date: October 14, 2014 03:52PM

PC2610 Wrote:
>
> up from school.
>
>
> $187 + court costs?
>

did a nigger woman pull you over during emergency and ticket you? happend to me when i was a minor. stealing lying bitch.

need your name and address

need judge's name and address

AFTER HE DEMANDS $125

i suspect they will lighten it if your nice

Posted by: Just Say No ()
Date: October 14, 2014 05:34PM

Sadly, those cops lining the entrance ramps are there for ONE reason only - to generate $$$$. Nothing you say is going to reduce or dismiss this fine. Sorry.

Posted by: $62 'convenience fee' ()
Date: January 10, 2016 12:47PM

Hello Sir,

I also have received a 1st time offender HOV violation ticket. Upon navigating the Virginia Court System website and much to my dismay, I have made a horrifying and inconvenient discovery. Why is there a $62 convenience fee? I finally built up the stomach to shell out $125 for this stupid HOV violation and then realized that there is an exorbitant cost in addition to the base fine. How is this convenient and for whom? I can assure that this is in no way convenient for me and now I am determined to not only not pay the $125 fine, but I will fight this ticket until the bitter and bloody end.

Love,
Yours Truly

Posted by: WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWHATDAFOOK ()
Date: January 10, 2016 04:28PM

"Long story short, I think that $125 + $62 (CONVINIENCE FEE) is alot of $ to charge someone with a 1st time offense. Do WARNINGS not exist in VA? What would happend if I try to go to court to fight it? If found guilt, would I have to pay the $187 + court costs?"

Well, here's how it works in Virginny....

The law was written so that the fine may not go to the state coffers, because that would be a conflict of interest (judge finds you guilty and then part of the settlement goes towards the judges and cops pay AKA living off of your misery).

So, they got around it. Now you usually get a small fine and big court fee or "convenience fee". The fine goes to the teacher's pension fund. So everytime you get a traffic fine, you're supporting the teachers retirement. The convenience fee is a flat fee goes to the state.

And you also get fooked by the insurance companies for the next 4 years because your offenses go into the CLUE database... furthermore, the auto insurance companies buy radar and laser guns from the manufacturers and "donate" them to police departments to promote safe driving (with a wink and a nod of course). It pays them back in spades.

BTW, Virginny is the only state where it's illegal to own a radar/laser detector (DC also, but that's not a state of course).

Furthermore, you getting a ticket in the mail from a traffic camera violates your due process rights and the right to face your accuser... try cross-examining a traffic camera on the witness stand.

So, TPTB are triple fucking you all around in the Commonwealth of Virginia and everyone knows, this has nothing to do with safety. The fastest driver and most crashes on the roads are caused by cops trying to get from point A to the local Dunkin Donuts!

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: January 10, 2016 05:28PM

Type in bold letters. This was a bump up from a few years ago.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.