HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
495 Express Lanes construction speed vs. I-66 HOV extension
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: March 12, 2013 07:20PM

Lots of people bitched about how the 495 express lanes project tied up traffic, closed or shifted lanes, or caused them inconvenience in some way while it was under construction. Now I don't have exact dates on when the major construction started and finished, but it would seem to me that 14 miles of 2 lanes each way were built rather quickly.
The only interstate lane expansion project which I can remember recently was the extension of the HOV lanes on I-66 from Manassas to Gainesville. And the reason I remember it was becuase of how long it took to finish. That was a rather short distance project, 1 lane each way, and yet I remember being tied up in traffic for what seemed like a never-ending project.
Can anybody compare the numbers on which of these two projects took longer to finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 495 Express Lanes construction speed vs. I-66 HOV extension
Posted by: LetMeGoogleThatForYou ()
Date: March 12, 2013 07:58PM

According to the 495expresslanes.com website "Construction began in the summer of 2008. The Express Lanes were completed on November 17, 2012"
https://www.495expresslanes.com/project-background

I'll leave it to someone else to do your googling to find out how long the gainsville expansion took.

According to http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/northern_virginia/2010/i-66_widening_nears_completion47247.asp
Construction ran 2006-2010.
Two lanes were added in each direction, not one. Making it the same number of lanes but without all the ramps/ bridges that were part of the beltway project.

Posted by: commuter ()
Date: March 12, 2013 08:00PM

hey look at that, I found the page for the i-66 project using the obscure search term `gainsville manassas i-66 project`

my bad for forgetting to edit the part of the last post saying I wasn't going to do that for you.

Posted by: The Fabulous Freak Brothers ()
Date: March 12, 2013 11:17PM

"KeepOnTruckin" is a lazy old bitch.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.