HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
W&OD Remnants
Posted by: railroadjoe ()
Date: March 11, 2013 02:41PM

Are there any abandoned segments of W&OD track left or did they get rid of them all?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: W&OD Remnants
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 11, 2013 03:08PM

The W&OD had trackage rights on aa Southern line from Alexandria yard east to the waterfront and a station in northern Alexandria. That line is still in existence and is being used by Norfolk Southern to serve the power plant there. You'd cross it entering Alexandria on the GW Parkway.

one of the main reasons the old WW Bridge would be raised would be cause of their paper shipment coming in - I'm pretty sure it was a factor in the design of the new bridge no joke
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 11, 2013 03:26PM

@railroad - that same line also supplies the infamous "Robinson Terminal Warehouse" - makers of traffic jams for decades LoLz

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=38.809864,-77.039142&spn=0.003097,0.004823&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=38.809773,-77.039085&panoid=D_LKOa_LtiVeWHqvjYDu8A&cbp=12,137.02,,0,11.41

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 03:27PM by Gordon Blvd.

Re: one of the main reasons the old WW Bridge would be raised would be cause of their paper shipment coming in - I'm pretty sure it was a factor in the design of the new bridge no joke
Posted by: Mike Hunt ()
Date: March 11, 2013 03:30PM

@ Gordon Blvd - How do you know so much about the area? Not a clown question, I'm serious.... You're like an encyclopedia of Nova history.

Posted by: LOLOLOLOL ()
Date: March 11, 2013 04:09PM

Gordon Blvd is a wealth of knowledge. He is who Chuck Hoffman wishes he was.

Posted by: friskydingo ()
Date: March 11, 2013 04:15PM

I <3 Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: ex-Lester ()
Date: March 11, 2013 04:25PM

Purcellville to Round Hill. There may still be tracks after the end of the paved path in Purcellville. I haven't been there in many years while Round Hill has really built out some. The tracks supposedly go all the way to Bluemont.

I'm nowhere NEAR Chuck's level of knowledge
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 11, 2013 04:37PM

@everyone - I just pay attention sometimes, I guess LoLz

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.