HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Fire spending $500,000 for uniforms!
Posted by: Say what? ()
Date: March 08, 2013 08:35AM

http://washingtonexaminer.com/cash-strapped-fairfax-county-rushes-to-spend-500k-on-firefighter-uniforms/article/2523635

Say it aint so. And who is the idiot Dan Schmidt what kind of quote is that. Do these guys really need to spend this money now? Should the citizens really need to front this money now.

Cash-strapped Fairfax County rushes to spend $500k on firefighter uniforms

Fairfax County residents face a tax increase next year because the county insists that spending can't be cut any deeper. But at the same time, the county is rushing to spend nearly $500,000 in coming weeks on dress uniforms for firefighters who say they don't need or want them.

The $500,000 for the uniforms is in this year's budget, so county officials have to spend it before a new budget is adopted April 30. Firefighters, however, said it would be better to transfer the money to the 2014 budget, which is running a $169 million shortfall that would be partially covered by a 2-cent tax increase under current county plans.

Fairfax plans to buy four uniforms for each of the 1,400 people working in the department -- two long-sleeved ($86.56 each) and two short-sleeved ($73.24 each) along with four department emblems ($5.95 each). The new uniforms look much like the ones firefighters already have except for the addition of Velcro strips that would allow workers to change their name tags or rank by changing tags rather than getting new uniforms.

The shirts they're buying for us are the exact same ones we already have with the exception of the Velcro strip," said a captain with the department who requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to discuss the purchase publicly. "The ones we have aren't well-worn. They aren't ripped. It doesn't make a lot of sense."

Fairfax firefighters only wear their button-down uniforms between November and April, when it's too cold for the T-shirts they usually wear, or when they're attending a public event. A department memo sent to employees last month urged them to submit shirt sizes quickly "due to fiscal year time considerations" but didn't provide details of the pending purchase.

Transferring the $500,000 to next year's budget would barely make a dent in the shortfall the county faces. But officials said it's an indication that the county can easily reduce spending beyond what it now proposes, possibly enough to reduce or eliminate the need to raise taxes.

Fairfax County Supervisor John Cook, R-Braddock, said it's not unusual for county agencies to spend money at the end of the fiscal year that would've otherwise been spent elsewhere or carried over to future budgets. He said he would be concerned, however, if the department was "spending just to spend."

Dan Schmidt, a spokesman for the county Fire and Rescue Department, defended the purchase, saying the uniforms were necessary and that most of the department's employees favor them. Buying shirts now will eventually save the department $50,000, Schmidt said, and the new design allows employees to hand down their uniforms to someone else to cut down costs.

"Sometimes leaders need to spend money upfront to save money for the future," Schmidt said. "Efficiency is the primary reason why we're doing this. It will generate long-term savings."

Capt. John Niemiec, president of the county's Professional Fire Fighters and Paramedics Association, said carrying the $500,000 to the 2014 budget could lessen the blow of pending budget cuts or give a raise to employees now facing a pay freeze next year.

"We are focused on compensation right now," Niemiec said. "Is this spending going to impact the ability to get a pay raise? Can it be put towards additional training?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Fire spending $500,000 for uniforms!
Posted by: oh ()
Date: March 08, 2013 08:44AM

How is this possible. I thought we were in the middle of a budget crisis. Who is runnning this circus and the article never explains why they need new uniforms.

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: March 08, 2013 08:55AM

Fairfax Fire spending $500,000 "just to spend" is probably nothing compared to other county agencies...

Ed Long probably spends that much a month for catered meetings....

Posted by: JesusHChrist ()
Date: March 08, 2013 09:28AM

$80 for a shirt is fucking ridiculous.

Posted by: better things to worry about ()
Date: March 08, 2013 09:44AM

Fairfax population 1.1 M

<50c per person for firefighter uniforms

Jeez people, I'd have thought you'd have better things to worry about

Posted by: Sharon Buliva ()
Date: March 08, 2013 09:57AM

STFU or I will slap you with a tax increase that you won't believe!

Posted by: f 'em ()
Date: March 08, 2013 10:11AM

Fire departments exist for the benefit of insurance companies. Either shit can the whole thing or make the insurance companies pay the freight.

Posted by: better things to worry about ()
Date: March 08, 2013 10:32AM

f 'em Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fire departments exist for the benefit of
> insurance companies. Either shit can the whole
> thing or make the insurance companies pay the
> freight.

Fire departments exist to keep my family alive

If I have a fire, I want the experts not some insurance company's lowest bid contractor

Posted by: FiveHUNDREDTHOUSAND ()
Date: March 08, 2013 11:36AM

I'm no rocket scientist but $80 per shirt, for 4 shirts a man is fucking ludicrous.

How come they can't just wear the $10 cotton long-sleeve/short-sleeve t-shirts and put on a god damn sweater or jacket?

I fucking guarantee retardation in the most sincere form in the people making the decisions about this in the fire department.

Posted by: SPEAR CHUCKER PHIL ()
Date: March 08, 2013 12:52PM

Why does this surprise anyone?

Posted by: Afro Enginneering? ()
Date: March 08, 2013 01:16PM

SPEAR CHUCKER PHIL Wrote:
> Why does this surprise anyone?

What tribe you from?
Or are you being racist?

Posted by: Move the F Out of the county ()
Date: March 08, 2013 01:22PM

This site is so full of Complainers, Bitch about the schools, Bitch about Public services. Get Real Peeps Be Grateful you have some of the best services around. My Father In Law passed away last weekend, it took the Volunteer Fire Department 45 minutes to get there, When they show up they are wearing Blue Jeans which really makes you feel confident in the services they might be able to provide, as well as a chew in and a No Fear hat on backwards. You can write off the property in the event of a Fire but you still pay the Taxes to the County for the services they don't provide. I'm Grateful we have a Police Department here to protect us from The Criminal Element, if they don't get here quick enough I have Glock 9mm in my nightstand. I know if I call 911 The Fire Department will be here in less than 4 minutes and they will Look Professional which inspires some confidence as to their abilities. The County in 40 years has gone from a Population of 484,000 to 1.1 Million. Those services cost money, The FCFD does more than most Departments in the Country, With Task Force 1 which is reimbursed from the State Department (My God your paying Double with Federal Taxes) Your Department gets more Training than most other Urban Departments with Grants. You Might be Surprised to know that some of your State Vehicle Registration also goes to the Fire Department for EMS. If you feel you can do so much better than the Clowns at the Governments Center I urge you to either Overthrow Castro or Hugo Chávez who just Croaked and you can make your world right. I agree there may ways to change how we Spend but it would take everyone of your worthless Butts to get into a position to be able to do something about it rather than cower behind Anonymous screen Names and Bitch about everything. BTW if you read the article part of the process with the Velcro is to allow the Uniforms to be handed down through Attrition without having to buy new ones. Start Bitching now that New Hires will get Hand me Downs to save your sorry Asses. Done with my rant, F-off

Posted by: hard to read ()
Date: March 08, 2013 03:21PM

^^^Paragraphs are free use all you need^^

Posted by: GrammaPoPo ()
Date: March 08, 2013 05:23PM

So are periods, commas, and other punctuation marks!

hard to read Wrote:
> ^^^Paragraphs are free use all you need^^

Posted by: InsideVoice ()
Date: March 08, 2013 06:04PM

This "news" story was without question flopped to a hungry cub reporter at the Examiner by a disgruntled employee who likely didn't get his way when he had what he envisioned was the best possible idea ever....just like Ford, someone always has a better idea. The problem is that this forum just encourages meatheads like him. How about this, chronic whiner? You get a uniform allowance, and you can spend your own money on uniforms that the department allows you to buy and wear. That's how it works in REAL public safety agencies. You are a cream puff....hero. Go back and watch more Duck Dynasty on your flat panel HDTV that I saw when I was in your firehouse a few weeks ago.

Posted by: ToughSaltyFDawg ()
Date: March 08, 2013 06:29PM

The TV's, stupid uniform shirts, and a hundred other things are just examples of the county's (not just the FD) misuse of taxpayer funds. Yeah, it's only 50 cents per person in the county but when you carry that attitude towards everything you spend money on....well.. You end up with what we have currently:

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: March 08, 2013 06:30PM

Firefighter uniforms causing drama? What is this, DC?

Posted by: fX-sucks ()
Date: March 08, 2013 07:37PM

How much are they paying former deputy chief coffman to run his incident simulator? Which is nothing but a $$$$ scam for Coffman. Oh, don't forget the $8 thousand dollars a piece patient trackers. How many hundred of those are they buying?

Posted by: In theknow! ()
Date: March 08, 2013 11:38PM

That culture will always keep Coffman and everyone else on payroll for nothing! It's a bunch of bullshit!

Posted by: f 'em ()
Date: March 08, 2013 11:43PM

better things to worry about Wrote:
> f 'em Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fire departments exist for the benefit of
> > insurance companies. Either shit can the whole
> > thing or make the insurance companies pay the
> > freight.
>
>
> Fire departments exist to keep my family alive

If the fire heroes determine that it's too risky (for them) to keep your family alive, kiss your asses goodbye.

Posted by: CERT4LIFE ()
Date: March 12, 2013 04:47PM

CERT loves uniforms, we have them for free because we save people, just like the real firefighters. We have helmets, and vests, and walking sticks. CERT can help with the language on here. CERT ROCKS!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.