HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Abandoned buildings
Posted by: Urban explorer ()
Date: February 25, 2013 09:00PM

Howdy again guys. In addition to my previous thread about Carson MS' silo and cabins, I also want to know if there are any other abandoned areas around the Herndon/chantilly/Reston area. Once again, anything works, but I don't want any completely off topic conversations in this new thread, I only want info to expand both my knowledge and the knowledge of others interested in urban exploring.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abandoned buildings
Posted by: Urban explorer ()
Date: February 25, 2013 09:07PM

This is me, I just decided to make myself formal and have a legitimate account. Also, I already know about the silos @ Carson MS and an old cabin over by the costco in chantilly.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 25, 2013 09:08PM

Posted by: Anonymous Anonymous person ()
Date: February 26, 2013 01:51PM

I heard of a place over by the Sully plantation, but I don't know if that's true.

Posted by: Johnny Law ()
Date: February 26, 2013 02:30PM

Trespassing is a misdemeanor in Fairfax County and usually carries a fine of $500 - $1000 with jail time possible depending on the judge and your past criminal history. We arrested 5 juveniles and 1 adult trying to, "explore," Lorton Penitentiary this past weekend! While a place may look abandoned, it may not be. A landowner is within his rights to inflict bodily harm to get you to leave his property, if you are not authorized to be there. Also several people die each year exploring abandoned locations. Before exploring any abandoned property, tell someone where you are going, try and get the owner's permission and make sure you stay safe. It can cost thousands of dollars to rescue you or recover your body from an abandoned location, and those costs can be billed to you or your next of kin.

Posted by: drew2000 ()
Date: February 26, 2013 02:57PM

I have seen that one before from the road, no idea what the deal is.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 26, 2013 03:04PM

Northern Virginia is really lacking if you are into urbex. If you truly want to go through abandoned buildings, you will have to travel to Central Virginia. There are about a century's worth of industrial and commercial buildings left over from the railroad hub days.

Posted by: ROCKO MEATS ()
Date: February 26, 2013 03:05PM

Yea and watch out for the Boogey Man.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 26, 2013 03:14PM

anything in Matildaville?

Posted by: bledbetter ()
Date: March 18, 2013 07:14PM

See http://ruralfairfax.com/ for more examples. Fairfax County is actually quite aggressive about demolishing abandoned property, so it's hard to find anything that's hung around for a while.

Posted by: Yup Yup ()
Date: March 18, 2013 07:16PM

I heard the 45900 block of Pullman Court in Sterling has some nice homes that you can crawl through the window of late at night. Should be fun!

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 18, 2013 07:28PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anything in Matildaville?

There used to be ruins but nothing that would amount to a structure. Last time I was at Great Falls it looked like they were really clamping down on people climbing on the relics.

Posted by: Julius ()
Date: July 03, 2013 02:36PM

Urban Explorer, Tell me more about the Carson MS silos and the location of the cabin near Chantilly Costco.

I hope to check out the old site in Herndon (which Gordon Blvd posted the link for) soon.

Posted by: urb ()
Date: July 03, 2013 09:35PM

For your next vacation, the finest venue for urban exploration on earth is Detroit Michigan. Nowhere is it more evident that this stinking fucking country is through.

Go to Detroit for two weeks and you'll only have time to see a small part of the ruins. Mile after mile of bombed-out neighborhoods, factories, schools, even abandoned skyscrapers. No worries about the cops, they are in hiding and won't bother you. But they won't help you if you're attacked by a pack of two-legged wild animals either. So, be careful. I just got back from Motown myself and had a blast exploring!

Posted by: Ghost Walker ()
Date: July 04, 2013 06:58AM

eesh Wrote:
> Northern Virginia is really lacking if you are
> into urbex. If you truly want to go through
> abandoned buildings, you will have to travel to
> Central Virginia. There are about a century's
> worth of industrial and commercial buildings left
> over from the railroad hub days.

Check this out, I think you'll like what you find...
Ghost Towns of Virginia
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/va/va.html

ROCKO MEATS Wrote:
> Yea and watch out for the Boogey Man.

Ghost Towns of Virginia
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/va/va.html

On Portugee Road where the decoy city was, there have been reports of a "Stick Man" running around there sometimes.
http://books.google.com/books?id=jPM0nENJc_4C&pg=PA203&lpg=PA203&dq=Portugee+Road+stickman&source=bl&ots=ssEO8Idwmk&sig=exBZSV66lpI-O8A1faCawBFjI4g&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OlXVUeHrGu2l4AO5_4HoAw&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Portugee%20Road%20stickman&f=false

Posted by: Not a Local Contractor ()
Date: November 01, 2013 09:12PM

Parts of the Lorton prison are still there. People get caught by the police all the time.

Posted by: oh c'mon now ()
Date: November 01, 2013 11:14PM

Johnny Law Wrote:
> Trespassing is a misdemeanor in Fairfax County and
> usually carries a fine of $500 - $1000 with jail
> time possible depending on the judge and your past
> criminal history. We arrested 5 juveniles and 1
> adult trying to, "explore," Lorton Penitentiary
> this past weekend! While a place may look
> abandoned, it may not be. A landowner is within
> his rights to inflict bodily harm to get you to
> leave his property, if you are not authorized to
> be there. Also several people die each year
> exploring abandoned locations. Before exploring
> any abandoned property, tell someone where you are
> going, try and get the owner's permission and make
> sure you stay safe. It can cost thousands of
> dollars to rescue you or recover your body from an
> abandoned location, and those costs can be billed
> to you or your next of kin.

Oh, Johnathan Lawyer, I'm not so sure a landlowner is within his rights to inflict bodily harm to get you to leave his property.

Did you make that up, using official sounding language along the way?

Mr. Landowner, why did you shoot that boy 'tween his eyes?

Oh, cause I seen him on my lawn.

OK, since you weren't in iminent danger, you are hereby guilty of murder.

Silly mofo.

Posted by: Holy Crap ()
Date: November 02, 2013 08:28AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> https://maps.google.com/maps?q=herndon,+va&hl=en&l
> l=38.945809,-77.423406&spn=0.001404,0.002411&clien
> t=firefox-a&hnear=Herndon,+Fairfax,+Virginia&gl=us
> &t=h&z=19
>
> dunno about the legalities or anything like
> that...................but there's this place.

Holy crap. I new some guys that rented that place 20+ years ago. It was majorly fucked up then. I thought it had been torn down years ago. Some wild times were had in that old farmhouse.

Posted by: Rachel ()
Date: November 22, 2013 07:00PM

Hey, I'm curious as well for some strange abandoned places near Reston preferably but Herndon to I s'pose. Anywhere in biking distance from around North Point perhaps?

Fuck it I just want all the places you guys know. I went to the abandoned Bowman distillery near the Reston Town Center with some friends and we talked to old man Bowman on my Ouija board, but alas we couldn't get in because of a padlock. We're gonna try again, but I want something to get into.

38.996864,-77.283411 is a really cool abandoned farmhouse and barn and stables with a second floor (stairs are sturdy enough) with a worktable and nuts and bolts and screws and wrenches everywhere as well as a bunch of old old science fiction books. Very cool.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: November 22, 2013 07:31PM

Trespassing is a misdemeanor in Fairfax County and usually carries a fine of $500 - $1000 with jail time possible depending on the judge and your past criminal history. We arrested 5 juveniles and 1 adult trying to, "explore,"

thanks, johnny law. by the way, what's the penalty for impersonating an officer?

Posted by: Abandoned house in Mclean ()
Date: November 23, 2013 10:16AM

Posted by: Abandoned house in Mclean ()
Date: November 23, 2013 10:18AM

Just noticed that in Map View they do not even show a structure there. Weird.

Posted by: very sketchy ()
Date: November 23, 2013 12:31PM

Abandoned house in Mclean Wrote:
> Just noticed that in Map View they do not even
> show a structure there. Weird.

Huh. I had a friend that lived in one of those houses right off 123 in downtown McLean, and never noticed that house there. Weird.

Posted by: backintheday ()
Date: December 04, 2013 03:27PM

Does anyone an aboned house right off of 236, just east of where the senior home now sits on olley ln? I remember motorcycle burnout marks in one room, and a bunch of stanic graffiti everywhere. We found some other weird things too, but was curious if anyone ever stumbled on this place. It must have been in the late 80s, but I think they demolished the house in the mid 90s. To my knowledge, the lot is still vacant / overgrown.

Posted by: Low in Lorton ()
Date: December 11, 2013 12:04PM

Urban explorer Wrote:
> Howdy again guys. In addition to my previous
> thread about Carson MS' silo and cabins, I also
> want to know if there are any other abandoned
> areas around the Herndon/chantilly/Reston area.
> Once again, anything works, but I don't want any
> completely off topic conversations in this new
> thread, I only want info to expand both my
> knowledge and the knowledge of others interested
> in urban exploring.

I really hope youre not a narc, cracking down on enforcing abandoned areas.

try the lorton prison complex, the prison itself is hard to get is in because of the 15-25ft high walls. their security has a presence but ultimately theyre oblivious to most of the outside buildings. the prison complex itself pretty huge, it spans through out all of southern lorton. their are a lot of buildings outside the prison walls you can easily go in and out of. i wont give exact places but you can check google maps and see for yourself. i suggest you go during the night but scope the areas you want to visit during the day, some of them arent accessible because theyre boarded up so you may need a crowbar if you want to get in or just avoid those buildings entirely.

if youre a real urbex i probably dont have to tell you this but its a disclaimer i must include due to negligence of some ignorant people in the past. please dont leave anything or break anything and if you take down a boarded door then put it back up when youre done. make it look like you were never there when you leave. youre just there to explore, its already hard enough to get in to most buildings now as is, we dont need more restrictions from FFX.

Posted by: Johnny Law ()
Date: December 11, 2013 03:18PM

The buildings around the Lorton prison complex are regularly patrolled by security officers and the police. If you are caught you will be charged with misdemeanor trespass (VA Code § 18.2-119). These charges are not dismissed in court and could result in year in jail and up to $2500 fine. First offenders usually serve 20 hours of community service in lieu of jail and pay a fine of $1000 or more. So don't do it.

Posted by: yyyet6645354 ()
Date: December 12, 2013 10:53AM

Johnny Law Wrote:
> The buildings around the Lorton prison complex are
> regularly patrolled by security officers and the
> police. If you are caught you will be charged
> with misdemeanor trespass (VA Code § 18.2-119).
> These charges are not dismissed in court and could
> result in year in jail and up to $2500 fine.
> First offenders usually serve 20 hours of
> community service in lieu of jail and pay a fine
> of $1000 or more. So don't do it.

Is this is the best use of our police force? There are far worse crimes being committed in the area, and Ill bet it would be a safer community if the cops didnt waste time posting legal threats on the internet and chasing kids that are exploring abondoned buildings.

Posted by: William tell ()
Date: December 12, 2013 04:59PM

Just walk threw the woods a long Highways and you'll stumble on old places, rt28 is littered with old buildings and wells. I metal detect and photograph old places in the winter while the snakes are sleeping. Be warned I've seen a lot of wells that the concrete top has rotted away, and a lot of snakes in the summer. I sometimes use google maps to locate possible places, over grown fields can be a clue to a hidden building near by. The park on 123 north bound by lorton prison has a lot of public trails and old prison farm buildings. Chapmans mill you see headed towards front royal on 66 west Has a few buildings,Ice well and graves you can't see from the highway, plus a small civil war battle was fought there.

Posted by: Johnny Rebel ()
Date: December 13, 2013 02:09AM

Johnny Law Wrote:
> The buildings around the Lorton prison complex are
> regularly patrolled by security officers and the
> police. If you are caught you will be charged
> with misdemeanor trespass (VA Code § 18.2-119).
> These charges are not dismissed in court and could
> result in year in jail and up to $2500 fine.
> First offenders usually serve 20 hours of
> community service in lieu of jail and pay a fine
> of $1000 or more. So don't do it.

Yup, just what i expected, not a narc but a half assed psa by the prison renta cops. why so persistent on trying to scare people out? ffxc breathing down your necks for not doing your job? hey you empty suits in the fairfax county government, all we're doing is exploring an empty decaying prison, no one has broken a window of your precious taxed money pit in years.

so you fired wakenhut and securitas, then you hired a new security group to do the same job and now youre hassling them. perhaps its not a job worth doing, they know it and we know it. ive been in and out of that prison for years. these county imposed regulations have never detoured me or anyone from exploring. your security routine patrols, welded shut gates,fences, trespassing signs and boarded up buildings are just a waste of the tax payers money. this whole online scare tactics thing youre forcing them to pull is laughable and pathetic.

i should thank you rentacops for being so incompetent but just so you know youre gonna get canned soon because fairfax government doesnt know how to manage their money or property investments

Posted by: fellowexplorer ()
Date: December 20, 2013 11:20PM

This house isn't in Fairfax County, but not too far
Attachments:
photo (1).JPG

Posted by: nice! ()
Date: December 20, 2013 11:33PM

Where is that place? Who owns it and is it for sale?

Posted by: Disappointed :( ()
Date: March 09, 2014 10:32PM

I saw they were clearing out the woods by Carson, I asylums they're flight to tear down the buildings back there :(

I saw a house in Fox Mill that looks abandoned, but it has an old can in the driveway so I'm not sure I it actually is. I've never seen anyone near it, and it's had a package on the front porch for almost a month now, so I assume nobody lives there. I'm not sure if its what you're looking for, but it could be worth at least driving by.

Posted by: G ()
Date: March 10, 2014 07:59PM

fellowexplorer Wrote:
> This house isn't in Fairfax County, but not too
> far

Selma Manor
16045 Frostleaf Ln
Leesburg, VA 20176
39.172,-77.562

10,000+ sq ft - built 1860(?), remodeled 1965

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_%28Leesburg,_Virginia%29

http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/loudouncounty/selma-house-placed-on-endangered-list/article_dd85d7dd-cf63-55e4-8425-4c69487acbc6.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/19/AR2009051904122.html

some very cool pics at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erkiletian/10464678814/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2014 08:03PM by G.

Posted by: 9DwPU ()
Date: March 11, 2014 12:16PM

well buy it. no doubt it's owned by a family or trust group.

tear it down? why not fix the windows?

---------------------------
i am worried about crooked democrats tampering with the land records at the zoning department

i would definitely call it treason if they have "lost track" of who owns what property and are allowing "internet changes" to occur

Posted by: hXJwy ()
Date: March 11, 2014 12:17PM

beleive me if it were abandoned:

fucking lawyers would know the second the old bitch died (if they hadn't killed her for it)

they'd have the thing in their back pocket before you could say "squirt"

Posted by: MeVxh ()
Date: March 11, 2014 12:23PM

for instance. i knew this poor mentally disabled guy.

a lawyer had a trust of land everone agreed was worth millions

the fucknig lawyer had him living in a illegal room - not even an apartment

the bitch renting the room? help set him up on a "sex charge" and he was put in prison. set him up. lied.

Fairfax fair trial? make me fucking laught they'd illegally seize and torture a mentally disabled person to steal

-----------------------------
he's probably lucky fx. co. executives didn't kill him for the land

he had no defense but the one fx. co. assigned to steal his land

fuck you all

Posted by: EmKVb ()
Date: March 11, 2014 12:23PM

Gary.

Posted by: WJytJ ()
Date: March 11, 2014 12:35PM

Lord Fairfax (and others) left certain properties to the gov of fairfax for pubilc use.

what do you bet "some" of it has gone missing into private hands without fair market compensation ?

Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 22, 2014 04:40PM

Check uer.ca's database. I've got a few pix on there. I was big into urban exploring back in the early 2000s.

Posted by: xenodispo ()
Date: March 23, 2014 06:41AM

WOW! I've been wanting to find places like these for sometime now and I've actually been looking at another thread with old fairfax pictures. I hyped myself up all winter on how I want to take a metal detector around and find some relics or whatever this spring/summer. I found a house in the Sterling area where I used to live right off of the W&OD that I really want to check out. Doesn't even have to be with a metal detector because I don't know all of the legalities with them in Va but I would be neat seeing some of the past. Who's down?

Posted by: asdfasfasfas ()
Date: March 23, 2014 07:27AM

thisisajokeright Wrote:
> Check uer.ca's database. I've got a few pix on
> there. I was big into urban exploring back in the
> early 2000s.

Cool, do you have a link to the shots you took?

Date: March 23, 2014 08:42AM

asdfasfasfas Wrote:
> thisisajokeright Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Check uer.ca's database. I've got a few pix on
> > there. I was big into urban exploring back in
> the
> > early 2000s.
>
> Cool, do you have a link to the shots you took?

I took a crap ton at BRH in Charlottesville back in 2003 BUT you have to be a member of that forum to see them.

Posted by: asdfasfasfas ()
Date: March 23, 2014 11:51AM

thisisajokeright Wrote:
> asdfasfasfas Wrote:
> -----
> > thisisajokeright Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Check uer.ca's database. I've got a few pix
> on
> > > there. I was big into urban exploring back in
> > the
> > > early 2000s.
> >
> > Cool, do you have a link to the shots you took?
>
>
> I took a crap ton at BRH in Charlottesville back
> in 2003 BUT you have to be a member of that forum
> to see them.

Very cool, I took at a look at the page yesterday and was surprised at the amount of sites and good pictures inside of them.

Date: March 23, 2014 12:48PM

I used to be really, really into urban/rural exploring back in the early 2000s. But life happened and I can't really tote a 2 year old into an abandoned house...

I found some really cool stuff at BRH. Someone left patient files ALL OVER the place. Index cards full of tx/symptoms/rx hx. Audio tapes of interviews with patients. It's a beautiful place but man is it creepy and full of stuff that really shouldn't be laying around.

Posted by: rowanaboat ()
Date: August 12, 2014 01:49PM

Theres a really cool abandoned farm house here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.131457,-77.548234,3a,75y,121.61h,62.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1svZy2b02lI_htVs5hGnJjLw!2e0
Theres a couple barns, and tiny two story house covered in graffiti.

Posted by: adventurepurple ()
Date: November 04, 2014 09:51PM

I found this place the other day. It is on a ton of land. I am always surprised when there is stuff like this in Fairfax County
Attachments:
image.jpg

Posted by: aaaaa ()
Date: November 26, 2014 10:14AM

Yeah. I was at the Lorton Penitentiary complex several times last summer and wasn't concerned with any risk of being caught. I saw one Rent a Cop vehicle, but never saw the guy. Perhaps the buildings in the immediate area are better protected/a lot riskier, but there's plenty to do just within the wooded area surrounding that you should have no problem getting away with it.

That said, I'd love to know more.

Posted by: Omgggggggggggggg ()
Date: March 18, 2021 08:24AM

Where is that??

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.