HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Luther Jackson Middle
Posted by: Wheretogo ()
Date: February 22, 2013 01:37PM

OK so one of my kids is in the aap program (or whatever they call it) and we have to decide between sending them to Luther Jackson or a non-aap school. How safe is Luther Jackson? It is next to that crap mall where that girl was kidnapped and murdered a couple years ago by an illegal. Is the school safe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Luther Jackson Middle
Posted by: nostradamus ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:02PM

Luther Jackson is located in a shitty area, that's for sure.

Posted by: Ugh, looked at the profile ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:10PM

FCPS has some general statistics about student demographics and test scores. Luther Jackson is roughly 25% asian, 28% hispanic, 50% white. Out of 1000 students they had 100+ "offenses" reported including weapons (9), drugs/alcohol, disorderly conduct and other "offenses against persons". 94% of the students passed the english SOL and 74% in math. The non-aap school is roughly 10% asian, 10% hispanic and 70% white. Out of 800 students, 30 reported offenses (but only 1 weapons). 99% passed english and 95% math.

So FCPS makes Luther Jackson a "aap center" to try and force smart asian and white kids to go there and get the scores up. Why do I have to pay so much in freaking taxes so my kid can spend 2hrs/day on a bus to help pull up scores at a crap school? My kid should be able to go to the local school (15 min away) and get the same aap classes. This so stinks of government fuckery at its worst.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:15PM

Does Luther Jackson have a math program?

If so, they may figure out that 25% + 28% + 50% = 103%

Posted by: get the numbers right ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:22PM

Luther Jack = 25.63% asian, 7.41% black, 28.60% hispanic, 32.52% white, 5.84% other. still sure seems like they are bussing in asians to try and get the scores up. wonder what the test scores would look like if you excluded them

Posted by: Scary school ()
Date: February 22, 2013 03:02PM

I would never send my child to LJM. Ghetto.

Posted by: kc ()
Date: February 22, 2013 04:02PM

My two sons went to JLM and I regret it. My oldest son told me that he saw kids doing heroin in the bathroom during his first week. It is a terrible school. The asians going there are mostly from the bad part of Annandale and many belong to gangs. There are also hispanic gangs there, too.

41% of the school gets free/reduced lunch and the county average is 25%.

http://schoolprofiles.fcps.edu/schlprfl/f?p=108:13:7454711102794771:105:NO::P0_CURRENT_SCHOOL_ID:081

Posted by: Lil' Momma ()
Date: February 22, 2013 04:16PM

get the numbers right Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Luther Jack = 25.63% asian, 7.41% black, 28.60%
> hispanic, 32.52% white, 5.84% other. still sure
> seems like they are bussing in asians to try and
> get the scores up. wonder what the test scores
> would look like if you excluded them

That's to account for pregnancies.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 22, 2013 04:16PM

Luther Jackson is the feeder school for Falls Church. Kids going to Annandale attend Poe. So I suspect BS.

Posted by: Days Gone By ()
Date: February 22, 2013 05:05PM

There was a time when every Fairfax County student knew this poem:

I be black
You be black
We's all go to Luther Jack!

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: February 22, 2013 05:14PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Luther Jackson is the feeder school for Falls
> Church. Kids going to Annandale attend Poe. So I
> suspect BS.

Kids in who live in Annandale north of Little River Turnpike attend Falls Church High School and probably attend Luther Jackson

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 22, 2013 06:58PM

Yes, and Hummer Road and Camelot are SO GHETTO.

Luther Jackson picked up some sketchy areas as part of the boundary realignment that took effect this year, but since kc was speaking past tense these wouldn't have been there then. Falls Church has the kids north of LRT and Columbia Pike for a few years now, but middle and high school boundaries don't match.
http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/annandalestudy/regional/pdfs/approved/middle/adoptedmiddle.pdf

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/annandalestudy/regional/pdfs/approved/high/adoptedhigh.pdf

Posted by: Jackson ()
Date: February 22, 2013 06:59PM

Jackson is actually a really great school now. Not just the AAP program but the whole school. Go visit and you will see how much it has changed! Their AAP scores are comparable to other county AAP scores.

Posted by: Yikes! ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:13PM

Sorry but this school needs help. Not every school in FCPS can be awesome.

Posted by: yourmom ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:31PM

Is it possible that Jackson could be on the road to improvement w/ Northrup Grumman now HQ'd in Falls Church, the development of Mosaic District, and the possibility of Metro West residents all going to Jackson/Falls Church? I sure hope so b/c I live in this school district and we like living here, but my wife wants to move b/c of the school district and all the low-income families and possible latino gangs in the area! The thing that's bullshit is that we live closer to both Fairfax and Oakton high schools, but we're still in the Falls Church district.

Posted by: Change takes a long time ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:47PM

Those with money in the LJM area send their kids to private school. The Latino gangs are a huge problem.

Posted by: Jack Luther ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:32PM

Ugh, looked at the profile Wrote:
> FCPS has some general statistics about student
> demographics and test scores. Luther Jackson is
> roughly 25% asian, 28% hispanic, 50% white. Out
> of 1000 students they had 100+ "offenses" reported
> including weapons (9), drugs/alcohol, disorderly
> conduct and other "offenses against persons".
> 94% of the students passed the english SOL and 74%
> in math. The non-aap school is roughly 10%
> asian, 10% hispanic and 70% white. Out of 800
> students, 30 reported offenses (but only 1
> weapons). 99% passed english and 95% math.
>
> So FCPS makes Luther Jackson a "aap center" to try
> and force smart asian and white kids to go there
> and get the scores up. Why do I have to pay so
> much in freaking taxes so my kid can spend
> 2hrs/day on a bus to help pull up scores at a crap
> school? My kid should be able to go to the local
> school (15 min away) and get the same aap classes.
> This so stinks of government fuckery at its
> worst.

Go ahead and send the kids to Thoreau if you're so worried. If they go to Jackson they may not be able to keep up with the other little potheads when they get to Madison.

Posted by: LJ Alum ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:43PM

i went there in the 90's. it was a dump then and i can only imagine its gotten worse. that being said, its not the worst place in the world to send your kids because they will realize they're not badass gangsters and if they have half a brain they will thrive academically.

Posted by: Jazzy Juice ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:50PM

Luther Jackson is fine. I'm a product of the school when it was sketchy. And yes there are some less than ideal communities that send their students to Luther Jackson. With that said - a lot of great schools are feeder schools to Luther Jackson. Communities such as Mosaic and Metro West are the newer ones slated to send kids to Jackson. Established communities like Mantua and Dunn Loring, parts of Fairfax and Oakton are some of the older ones.

All in all if your brat has any sense of right and wrong, and a somewhat functional moral compass, he or she will be able to survive in Jackson just fine - in fact they might be able to meet someone from another country and actually learn something for a fuckign change.

Benefits of Jackson - great facilties from arts to sports. They received a shitload of money from the builders of Mosaic. Proximity to Fairvew Park has given the school excellent exposure to local businesses.

And for the poster who spoke of the girl who got murded by the illegal - she was last seen in Fairfax.

Go ahead and send your kid to some other school - Jackson is doing fine without your brat.

Posted by: GordonBlvd ()
Date: February 23, 2013 12:32AM

Went there in the early 2000's... it was "ok"... a lot of ghetto people but unless your kid is very small or weird he will do fine. Fights and drugs were the most popular things people would get in trouble for.

Posted by: Jazzy Juice ()
Date: February 23, 2013 07:32AM

Where did you go to college?

Posted by: Former lj teach ()
Date: February 23, 2013 12:54PM

I used to work there a few years back. It is not a bad place at all. Old but a safe school. No worse than the other two fcps middle schools I have worked at.

Posted by: Safe? ()
Date: February 23, 2013 01:25PM

The stats show otherwise.

Posted by: Huh?? ()
Date: February 23, 2013 01:32PM

GordonBlvd Wrote:
> Went there in the early 2000's... it was "ok"... a
> lot of ghetto people but unless your kid is very
> small or weird he will do fine. Fights and drugs
> were the most popular things people would get in
> trouble for.

Who went there? Your kids? I figured you were at least in your forties.

Posted by: Jackson staff member ()
Date: March 08, 2013 09:51PM

It is an amazing place. It suffers from a public perception by people who have never set foot in the place that it is a drug infested, gang-ridden school that no one should go to. Not so...there may be weed with some kids, but sadly, there is weed and more in every middle school in FCPS. Weapons? there was a boomerang, a Swiss army knife a kid got for Christmas and showed everyone -- that kind of stuff. The real problem? Middle school sucks! Being that age is awful -- feelings are magnified, reactions are magnified, and kids are trying to deal with all the stuff in their lives. The school is a cross section of the whole county.

Posted by: Christietoo ()
Date: February 14, 2015 12:04AM

I taught at Luther Jackson many years ago and again for the past 5 years. It's a great place with a caring faculty and staff. Sure, some kids there are undoubtedly in gangs, some smoke pot, etc., but you will find that in ANY middle school anywhere. My kids went to school in Loudoun County and I found the same problems in their schools. The last poster told the truth -- Middle school sucks!

I would not hesitate to send my children to LJ, back when my kids were in school or now. Any kid who has a good moral compass and support at home will do fine in just about any school anywhere.

I taught at Luther Jackson many years ago and again for the past 5 years. It's a great place with a caring faculty and staff. Sure, some kids there are undoubtedly in gangs, some smoke pot, etc., but you will find that in ANY middle school anywhere. My kids went to school in Loudoun County and I found the same problems in their schools. The last poster told the truth -- Middle school sucks!

I would not hesitate to send my children to LJ, back when my kids were in school or now. Any kid who has a good moral compass and support at home will do fine in just about any school anywhere.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: February 14, 2015 12:17AM

Ugh, looked at the profile Wrote:
> FCPS has some general statistics about student
> demographics and test scores. Luther Jackson is
> roughly 25% asian, 28% hispanic, 50% white. Out
> of 1000 students they had 100+ "offenses" reported
> including weapons (9), drugs/alcohol, disorderly
> conduct and other "offenses against persons".
> 94% of the students passed the english SOL and 74%
> in math. The non-aap school is roughly 10%
> asian, 10% hispanic and 70% white. Out of 800
> students, 30 reported offenses (but only 1
> weapons). 99% passed english and 95% math.
>
> So FCPS makes Luther Jackson a "aap center" to try
> and force smart asian and white kids to go there
> and get the scores up. Why do I have to pay so
> much in freaking taxes so my kid can spend
> 2hrs/day on a bus to help pull up scores at a crap
> school? My kid should be able to go to the local
> school (15 min away) and get the same aap classes.
> This so stinks of government fuckery at its
> worst.

If I were to say all of that in a conversation, it would be considered a racist perspective and people would be uncomfortable with it.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: February 14, 2015 12:20AM

Christietoo Wrote:
> I taught at Luther Jackson many years ago and
> again for the past 5 years. It's a great place
> with a caring faculty and staff. Sure, some kids
> there are undoubtedly in gangs, some smoke pot,
> etc., but you will find that in ANY middle school
> anywhere. My kids went to school in Loudoun County
> and I found the same problems in their schools.
> The last poster told the truth -- Middle school
> sucks!
>
> I would not hesitate to send my children to LJ,
> back when my kids were in school or now. Any kid
> who has a good moral compass and support at home
> will do fine in just about any school anywhere.

“a good moral compass and support at home”? We’re talking middle school, right? I think you are being highly naive.

Posted by: lufer jackson ()
Date: February 14, 2015 09:10AM

It's only 7% niggers, but I bet they make up over 50% of the suspensions.
Sort of like the ration with black population/crime across the rest of the country.

Posted by: Rolling thunder ()
Date: February 14, 2015 10:40AM

I went to Luther 10 years ago, it was pretty ghetto, lots of hispanic wannabe thugs from KC, Monticello and all those crappy projects. I lived in Annandale too, note they used to pick up kids all the way from the Parliaments and Annandale gardens 2 more shitty low income complexes contributing to the problem.

The smarter kids lived in Camelot, broyhill crest or closer to the Oakton area.

If you can afford it I would definitely check out a private school.

The only benefit is the majority of the students are so unmotivated and stupid, it's really easy to do well.

Posted by: former student ()
Date: February 21, 2018 09:14AM

As a former student, I can attest that Luther Jackson was a great middle school. While there drugs and fights, I never really directly encountered any of that as I took all honors classes. Parents, I would recommend having your student take as many honors classes that you think they can handle, because those are where the hard-working, dedicated students are. Some of my friends who took a non-honors class said that a lot of the students goofed off and it was harder to learn. However, there are a ton of great teachers, and as a sophomore with a 4.2 GPA, I can tell you that if your kid is smart, he will be able to get a good education there. And to all the racists here, it's your stereotyping that ruins a kid, not their skin color.

Posted by: Tommy Varlas ()
Date: February 22, 2018 06:38AM

BEH Wrote:
> Does Luther Jackson have a math program?
>
> If so, they may figure out that 25% + 28% + 50% =
> 103%

Besides sucking me off until he gets my seminal fluid, “BEH” is very observant and funny!

Posted by: Leave it to Beaver ()
Date: February 22, 2018 07:31AM

Rolling thunder Wrote:
> I went to Luther 10 years ago, it was pretty
> ghetto, lots of hispanic wannabe thugs from KC,
> Monticello and all those crappy projects. I lived
> in Annandale too, note they used to pick up kids
> all the way from the Parliaments and Annandale
> gardens 2 more shitty low income complexes
> contributing to the problem.
>
> The smarter kids lived in Camelot, broyhill crest
> or closer to the Oakton area.
>
> If you can afford it I would definitely check out
> a private school.
>
> The only benefit is the majority of the students
> are so unmotivated and stupid, it's really easy to
> do well.

This guy sounds like a punk bitch.

Posted by: Billy NN ()
Date: February 22, 2018 09:06PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Luther Jackson is the feeder school for Falls
> Church. Kids going to Annandale attend Poe. So I
> suspect BS.

Jackson feeds to Falls Church and Oakton and also has some AAP kids from Madison and Marshall. Kids from Poe and Holmes go to Annandale, along with some kids who were in AAP at Frost and Glasgow. So I call you uninformed.

Posted by: Not as bad as I expected ()
Date: February 22, 2018 10:34PM

My son went there for 2013-14 and 2014-15. We were in the very small section of the area that feeds to Oakton High School. I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised. I agree with person above who said take honors classes -- makes a big difference. The school has some great teachers and staff.

Posted by: Lex Luther ()
Date: February 22, 2018 11:57PM

Not as bad as I expected Wrote:
> My son went there for 2013-14 and 2014-15. We were
> in the very small section of the area that feeds
> to Oakton High School. I expected the worst and
> was pleasantly surprised. I agree with person
> above who said take honors classes -- makes a big
> difference. The school has some great teachers and
> staff.

Stale news. The Oakton areas have been reassigned to Thoreau and Jsckson is going down the crapper. Your house just appreciated and people still zoned for Jackson should sell and get out before everyone realizes FCPS has decided Jackson should be pure ghetto.

Posted by: Not as bad as I expected ()
Date: February 23, 2018 01:39AM

Wrong. My address still feeds from Mosby Woods Elem to Jackson and back to Oakton.

Jackson is just fine. All schools have some crappy kids. Good staff can help overcome that.

Posted by: original LJ whitey ()
Date: February 24, 2018 11:39PM

I was in the second class of whiteys to be bused to LJ after it was integrated from a black high school to a middle school in the 1970s. All the BS about racial it and getting stabbed for lunch money was over exaggerated BS. Never happened there was some tension but mostly because were told there would be problems. We were taught speed reading with equipment even most high schools did not have. We had children of communist Chinese and Russian diplomats attending with us. What we did not have is all the 3rd world Spanish speakers that are overwhelming and driving down scores etc. because Sharon and Gerry want to pack in as many government dependent people as they can to get their votes to move their lefty agenda forward.

Posted by: LJ '73 ()
Date: February 25, 2018 04:08PM

I don't remember any ChiComs and there were Hispanics who lived in the apartments off Woodburn or at the Circle. Jackson had several historic black neighborhoods then, there were some Asians but it was overwhelmingly white middle class. At that time most neighborhoods off 50 and 29 inside the Beltway went to whittier. When I started the kids went to Oakton or Woodson. Then they shifted Camelot to Falls Church.

When my brother got there 5 years later fewer blacks were there but there were a number of Vietnamese boat people.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.