HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Square off driveway + Widen Apron
Posted by: SFH_Owner ()
Date: February 22, 2013 12:39PM

Hi
I'm in a SFH on a road that's maintained by VDOT. The previous owner bought / tore down an older house. For some reason the driveway is at a weird angle which forces me to drive over grass to be able to pull in to the garage.
I want to square off the driveway and if possible widen the apron. I had a few questions regarding that
1) I called a few paving companies (asphalt driveway) and none of them are willing to do a smaller job (100ish sf) and have a minimum job requirement which I'd have to pay. Are there any companies that are willing to do smaller jobs without charging the cost of a full driveway
2) I couldn't find anything in Fairfax regarding widening the apron. Is it completely not allowed or do I need to get a special permit (like higher then normal fences).
Any advice would be appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Square off driveway + Widen Apron
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: February 22, 2013 12:57PM

I don't know much about asphalt work, but most contractors of any type have a "minimum charge' for small jobs such as yours. I kinda need to do the same thing, but it's waaay smaller than 100 sq. ft - like 5 square feet in the shape of a right angled triangle. You and I would both pay a shitload of money for it to be done. The square foot cost would be off the charts. that's why I still live with it.

As for the apron widening - I don't think it matters, but don't know for certain. I know my HOA has a 18' maximum width it the covenants, but that's it.

Posted by: NVGUY ()
Date: February 22, 2013 03:49PM

I did this many years ago and founf out that if you should contact the DOT, permits section and advise them. I also called the county too, zoning i believe. The regs have changed over the years so it is a little bit harder but you should be able to do it. right know is not a good time to do the actual work because asphalt plants are closed. I would start the process so that by the end of March when things warm up there will be companies out there that will do the work for you. The one i will mention is this. If the apron is concrete you will have to put that back in and not replace it with asphalt.
Good Luck.
ps, its less than 30 days until the first day of spring.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:15PM

I added a second driveway to my property back in 2007. I had to pull a permit from VDOT and post a $5,000 bond.

Their website was outdated and it sucks. They were understaffed. Both could still be true today. I followed the extensive instructions posted on their site and it was a waste of my time.

They wanted a specific date for the work before I could pull my permit. The work was done and inspection completed in a single day - but I didn't get my bond money back until months later. I got it after I contacted VDOT a few times to get it refunded.

If I were you, I would just replace it and make sure that it is done right. Don't damage the asphalt in the road. Replace the grass with sod so that it looks 100% right away. You start the day with a driveway and you end the day with a driveway.

Date: February 23, 2013 01:04AM

Agree that it sounds like you should replace the driveway with one that works, assuming you can afford it. Until the asphalt plants reopen, could you do a workaround by putting some gravel, pea gravel, and/or sand in the trouble spot to even things out? A piece of slate?

Posted by: mike233454 ()
Date: February 23, 2013 11:20AM

Just pour a little concrete if you need to widen the asphalt driveway or see if you can find a few grass pavers that can widen it for you.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: February 23, 2013 12:15PM

Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: February 23, 2013 02:13PM

Berry Paving and concrete will do small jobs (I think without a minimum), and they will be able to help you out with your questions. Their number is (703) 550-0036.

I've had them do a couple of small jobs for me -- two slabs for two 8'x10'sheds at different times and two driveway enlargements and an apron enlargement -- the apron was done with one of the enlargements. I have also had them do very small sidewalk repairs from where I have had to break sections of them for water service replacements. I never had to meet a minimum, but there were a couple of times I needed to wait until they could fit me in at the end of the day when they were able to use leftover concrete from a larger job.

I believe they do asphalt, too, but I'm not sure.

Posted by: What he said ()
Date: February 23, 2013 07:29PM

mike233454 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just pour a little concrete if you need to widen
> the asphalt driveway or see if you can find a few
> grass pavers that can widen it for you.

Yeah, I was out for a walk this afternoon and noticed that a neighbor had done this with pavers. Might be a good compromise between the ideal and $$$ reality...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.