HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Wegmans to Alexandria
Posted by: JR ()
Date: July 28, 2008 01:05PM

I heard a wonderful rumor that a Wegmans is going to be built at the Telegraph Road and Beulah Street intersection in Alexandria, right outside the gates of Fort Belvoir. Rumor site:

http://seanramblings.blogspot.com/2008/07/breaking-news-wegmans-coming-to.html

Has anyone heard anything else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wegmans to Alexandria
Posted by: huntington ()
Date: July 28, 2008 02:27PM

Haven't heard that but it would be WONDERFUL if true, I live in that area. Rose Hill Safeway sucks.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 28, 2008 02:58PM

With BRAC, The Traffic In The Area Should Be Wonderful Too.

Posted by: BOb ()
Date: July 28, 2008 05:15PM

According to the Wegmans Web Site:

Store Location
State
County
Where Located
Opening Date

Lake Manassas
VA
Prince William
Route 29 and Old
Carolina Road
Fall 2008

Fredericksburg
VA
Spotsylvania
Carl D. Silver Parkway &
Fall Hill Avenue
To Be Determined

Collegeville
PA
Montgomery
Routes 29 & 422
To Be Determined

Landover
(Woodmore)
MD
Prince George's
I-495 & Landover Road
To Be Determined

Malvern
(E. Whiteland Township)
PA
Chester
Intersection of Routes 29
and 202
To Be Determined

Frederick
MD
Frederick
Route 15 & 26
To Be Determined

Columbia
MD
Howard
Snowden River Parkway
& McGaw Road
To Be Determined

Crofton
MD
Anne Arundel
Highway 3 & Brickhead Road
To Be Determined

Leesburg
VA
Loudoun
Route 7 & River Creek Parkway
To Be Determined

Posted by: Timothy Lazaroff ()
Date: October 07, 2008 09:14PM

It's true, there is a Wegmans incoming to that exact location. My guess is about a year out from now.

Posted by: article ()
Date: October 10, 2008 11:53AM

Posted by: Barbara Hirsch ()
Date: December 30, 2010 12:53PM

I spoke with an employee at the Fairfax Wegmans to get directions and complain about a lack of an Alexandria store just before Christmas. He told me that an Alexandria location will be opening in 2013 on Beulah St. BTW, Beulah and Franconia is no where near Ft. Belvior. Belvoir is down near Woodbridge, Virginia.

Posted by: Your an idiot ()
Date: December 30, 2010 01:31PM

"Belvoir is down near Woodbridge, Virginia" - Your an idiot; read a map

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: December 30, 2010 01:34PM

Bastards refuse to open in McLean/Vienna.

Posted by: wow ()
Date: December 30, 2010 01:36PM

Barbara Hirsch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I spoke with an employee at the Fairfax Wegmans to
> get directions and complain about a lack of an
> Alexandria store just before Christmas. He told me
> that an Alexandria location will be opening in
> 2013 on Beulah St. BTW, Beulah and Franconia is no
> where near Ft. Belvior. Belvoir is down near
> Woodbridge, Virginia.

You can see the main gate at Belvoir from where Wegmans will be.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: December 30, 2010 02:59PM

wow Wrote:
> You can see the main gate at Belvoir from where Wegmans will be.

Well, then apparently the Fairfax Wegman's manager who identified the location as "Beulah and Franconia" was mistaken, since you can't see Ft. Belvoir from there. Another clue that the address is wrong: It's all built out there and there's no room to put a Wegmans. The main gate at Ft. Belvior is about 8 miles south of that intersection.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: December 30, 2010 03:02PM

Your an idiot Wrote:
> "Belvoir is down near Woodbridge, Virginia" - Your
> an idiot; read a map

Hey dummy -- it's "you're", not "your".

That's right.

Posted by: well, ()
Date: December 30, 2010 03:14PM

Main gate might be down the road but the property directly across the street from there is part of Ft. Belvoir.

Posted by: yesftw ()
Date: December 30, 2010 03:55PM

I'm thrilled Wegmans is slowly expanding into different areas around here. Now, all these random fucksticks CAN STOP JAMMING UP THE FAIRFAX ONE. You live near a shitty Giant or Safeway, too bad... go there.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: December 31, 2010 08:28PM

Spacy Wrote:
> Well, then apparently the Fairfax Wegman's manager who identified the location as "Beulah and Franconia" was mistaken, since you can't see Ft. Belvoir from there. Another clue that the address is wrong: It's all built out there and there's no room to put a Wegmans. The main gate at Ft. Belvior is about 8 miles south of that intersection.<

Hilltop is at Beulah & Telegraph. It was construction debris landfill. Part of Fort Belvoir is across Telegraph from the Hilltop Village site.

Posted by: say ()
Date: December 31, 2010 08:51PM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> Bastards refuse to open in McLean/Vienna.

I've read that Wegman's biggest obstacle to expansion is finding enough land. Wegman's prefers to buy the land and build from scratch, but will lease if necessary.

The typical Wegman's store with at least 800 parking spaces requires 15 acres of land.

I imagine that would be impossible to find in McLean/Vienna, or it would be prohibitively expensive.

Posted by: bill ()
Date: January 16, 2011 07:20PM

Beulah and Telegraph isn't Ft. Belvoir's "main gate." It's simply the "Telegraph Gate."

Additionally, there is a sign at the road that leads up to the area where trucks have been coming in and out of for weeks that reads "Join Wegmans call..."

From what I understand, Wegmans should be completed some time in 2012.

Now if they will just find a buyer for the Springfield mall, this might be one of the best locations in Fairfax.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: January 16, 2011 09:32PM

Donkey Springfield Mall has a owner. Keep up son.

Posted by: Andy1 ()
Date: January 22, 2011 03:27PM

Wegmans will anchor the Hilltop Village Center at the corner of Beulah and Telegraph. No construction to this point has even started, but FFX county supervisor McKay says the project is on track. The reason that, "trucks have been coming in and out of for weeks" is because the area directly behind where the shopping center will be is still a functioning construction debris landfill. Once construction on Hilltop Village Center begins the landfill is going to be capped. Here is the project page with renderings of the future site:

http://www.hilltopvillagecenter.com/

Posted by: Observer of Things ()
Date: January 22, 2011 11:32PM

Andy1 Wrote:
> FFX county supervisor McKay says the project is on
> track.

To be honest, isn't McKay's #1 job trying to whitewash the overall crappiness of the area? He does seem to be a bit of a silly figure.

Posted by: wegmans lover ()
Date: January 24, 2011 09:25AM

OK,
I work on Belvoir and let me clear things up:

There is a gate RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM WHERE THE NEW WEGMANS IS OPENING UP! Its called the beulah gate. and Ft Belvoir is not near woodbridge, its basically sandwiched between Alexandria and springfield and (Lorton) Newington.

the new wegmans is right on the corner of telegraph and beulah. there is a sign up.

ITS LITERALLY RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM BELVOIR!

idiots

Posted by: Way Too Broad ()
Date: January 24, 2011 09:54AM

say Wrote:
>
> I've read that Wegman's biggest obstacle to
> expansion is finding enough land. Wegman's
> prefers to buy the land and build from scratch,
> but will lease if necessary.
>
> The typical Wegman's store with at least 800
> parking spaces requires 15 acres of land.
>
> I imagine that would be impossible to find in
> McLean/Vienna, or it would be prohibitively
> expensive.

Not only that, but Wegmans tends to "improve" with each store that they build. In my experience, I first went to their Sterling/Ashburn store just off of Waxpool Road and Rt. 28. It was impressive and I was impressed. The, a few years later, the Fairfax store opened and I could see additional improvements that they made over the Sterling/Ashburn store. Now, I have access to the Gainesville/Lake Manassas store. Wow, what an improvement (in design, etc.) that this store has over the previous stores. For example, the Fairfax store's pizza department makes their pizzas like Dominos does - with the conveyor style of pizza oven. However, the Gainesville/Lake Manassas store has an actual pizza oven - brick base and they use corn meal to dust the bottom of the pizza with so it doesn't stick to the stone.

Keep up with their spirit, I'm sure the Alexandria store is going to see even more improvements over the others. Should be exciting for those who have access to it.

Posted by: say ()
Date: January 24, 2011 10:44AM

Way Too Broad Wrote:
> For example, the Fairfax store's pizza department makes their
> pizzas like Dominos does - with the conveyor style
> of pizza oven. However, the Gainesville/Lake
> Manassas store has an actual pizza oven - brick
> base and they use corn meal to dust the bottom of
> the pizza with so it doesn't stick to the stone.
>

Not any more. The Fairfax store has a regular pizza oven.

Posted by: Alexandria native ()
Date: January 24, 2011 02:29PM

The Wegmans ACROSS from Fort Belvoir (directly across, as many of you have pointed out) was supposed to open in spring 2011; guess the project got delayed.

It will be right across from the shopping center with Red Hot & Blue.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:09AM

Yeah, unless Wegmans is open to opening a 3 story grocery store they won't open inside McLean/Vienna/Springfield. But I can guarantee you the mob scene that would occur if they found a tract of industrial land in south Arlington/west end Alexandria would be Biblical. It'd be like a scene out of Soylent Green.

Posted by: hungry in Hayfield ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:28PM

Alexandria native Wrote:
> The Wegmans ACROSS from Fort Belvoir (directly across, as many of you have pointed out) was supposed to open in spring 2011; guess the project got delayed.<

County staff is stalling the site plan. Appears they're holding onto the file to justify their continued employment.

If you want Wegmans, better call Supervisor McKay's office and ask him to get the County staff off their butts.

Posted by: Wegmans Employee ()
Date: September 11, 2011 12:59AM

I work at the store and Woodbridge and can't wait for Alexandria to open up. I started hearing about it in 2008 soon after we opened and was originally told 2011, then 2012 and now on our company website (something you wouldn't be able to see) they have released the three stores slotted to open next year and Alexandria is not included in these grand openings. It's a bummer but it'd be better to make sure the landfill is properly taken care of rather than rushing to open the store only to encounter problems down the road. Wegmans as a company will not set an official opening date or time period until it is absolutely certain that they can meet the deadline.

Posted by: Sand & Gravel PIT-t'was ()
Date: September 11, 2011 02:05AM

That site is/was a landfill. Before that, it was "Hilltop Sand & Gravel". A really big excavation quarry for construction aggreagates. As time went by, it was slowly 'filled' w/(regulated/acceptable) debris for the past 20-/+ years(?). The county & state authorities & private engineers will want to make certain the large site is really ready for new commercial contruction. Would'nt you? Esp. if building that kind a large facility/Commercial center. Ground water monitoring, storm water planning/ engineering on a large scale to handle the kind of rainfall we just witnessed last Thurday.

South County will enjoy the great store & great service that Wegman's is known for. PS: fort belvoir is huge. Like the other posts advised. look at a map. No a real map.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: September 11, 2011 02:10PM

>Bastards refuse to open in McLean/Vienna.

Accessive property cost -- hence the reason no Wal-Mart/Target.

Posted by: Amaryllis ()
Date: September 12, 2011 11:46AM

@Wegmans Employee. Actually Wegman's does have future store openings listed on its public web site. The Alexandria store is still TBD:

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/FAQDetailView?storeId=10052&catalogId=&langId=-1&faqCategory=AboutWegmans#question_12

Posted by: CERTenly3456765 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 11:47AM

South County much better than other parts of County

Posted by: Amaryllis ()
Date: September 12, 2011 11:49AM

BTW, the problem appears to be over a zoning exception, not Superfund type issues with the site:

The wrench in the plan was a lawsuit filed years ago by neighboring property owner Glenn Ovrevik, who challenged Hilltop's special exceptions and rezoning. The suit was tossed by a local court, and on Feb. 11 the state Supreme Court dismissed the petition for rehearing.

Everything was a go for Hilltop Village Center, and a Wegmans as soon as 2013. Or so we thought.

Late last month the state's highest court reversed course and agreed to at least consider Ovrevik's request for an appeal, which may put the project on hold — again.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/2011/05/alexandria-wegmans-lawsuit-back-on.html

Posted by: I'm hungry ()
Date: September 12, 2011 03:19PM

Hilltop Village a go as Wegmans lawsuit dropped

Washington Business Journal - by Michael Neibauer

Date: Friday, August 26, 2011, 11:00am EDT

It's over. It's finally over.

The lawsuit that stalled construction of the Wegmans-anchored Hilltop Village Center, a long-waited mixed-use project at the intersection of Beulah Street and Telegraph Road near Kingstowne in Fairfax County, is no more.

Glenn Ovrevik, a neighboring property owner whose stormwater management-related suit against the county Board of Supervisors took nearly four years to wind its way through various courts, has decided to drop his case rather than fight to the bitter end.

Though he could have asked the Virginia Supreme Court to reconsider its refusal to hear the case on its merits, Ovrevik decided against it. The plaintiffs "are not going forward with a petition for rehearing," said Zachary Williams, Ovrevik's attorney.

We've covered the case extensively since the state's highest court first tossed it on a technicality, then reconsidered, then dismissed it again.

The Hilltop Village development, on 33 acres across Telegraph Road from a busy Fort Belvoir gate, is ready to go, we're told. Site plans are approved and permits are in order. Now it's just a matter of construction.

The project is expected to include a 150,000-square-foot Wegmans — Fairfax County's second — an office building, two banks and additional retail. The lead developer, Michael Gailliot of landowner Hilltop Sand and Gravel Co., was not immediately available for comment. Ovrevik also could not be reached.

That Wegmans may be the Lee District's most anticipated project outside of Vornado Realty Trust's Springfield Mall redevelopment, Fairfax Supervisor Jeff McKay has said.

Posted by: EmmettM ()
Date: November 08, 2011 05:28PM

YES,Please, a Wonderful "WEGMANS" as Soon As Possible HERE in Alexandria!!!

AND also,a very lovely "VON MAUR" Department Store, which like Wegmans, offers Great Customer Service, More Beautiful Stores than ANY Nordstrom, The Same Great Top Quality Designer Merchandise, Free Deluxe Gift Wrap, Free Shipping anywhere in the U.S.,Free Live Piano Music,
& BEST OF ALL: "Totally Interest-Finance & fees-FREE
Von Maur store charge accounts"!!!

www.wegmans.com
www.vonmaur.com

Posted by: Janice T ()
Date: June 27, 2012 05:24PM

That is Ft. Belvoir property. I use the gate at beulah and telegraph all the time. You might be thinking of quantico.

Posted by: Keegan ()
Date: June 27, 2012 08:32PM

Ft. Belvoir is quite a large property (used to be larger) and there's quite a few gates. Geez, look at a map people.

The new Wegman's at Telegraph and Beulah (yes, across from the Beulah gate), is scheduled to be completed around Spring 2014.

Posted by: Peetz ()
Date: June 27, 2012 09:08PM

Yes, Wegman's is coming. I'm sure they will be taking applications shortly, but, certainly, none of you dipshits on here will qualify. If you're lucky, they may put a KFC in the same shopping center. KFC employs a lot of dipshits like the ones on this board.

Posted by: insider ()
Date: June 27, 2012 09:24PM

Helping you live healthier better lives and making great meals easy

Posted by: beavis ()
Date: June 27, 2012 09:38PM

Peetz Wrote:
> Yes, Wegman's is coming. I'm sure they will be
> taking applications shortly, but, certainly, none
> of you dipshits on here will qualify. If you're
> lucky, they may put a KFC in the same shopping
> center. KFC employs a lot of dipshits like the
> ones on this board.

And BOOM goes the dynamite.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: June 28, 2012 01:53PM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> Yeah, unless Wegmans is open to opening a 3 story
> grocery store they won't open inside
> McLean/Vienna/Springfield. But I can guarantee you
> the mob scene that would occur if they found a
> tract of industrial land in south Arlington/west
> end Alexandria would be Biblical. It'd be like a
> scene out of Soylent Green.

Well, technically Fairfax is three stories, but we know what you mean...

Posted by: Wegmans Jihadist ()
Date: June 28, 2012 01:59PM

Greybeard Wrote:
> formerhick76 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah, unless Wegmans is open to opening a 3
> story
> > grocery store they won't open inside
> > McLean/Vienna/Springfield. But I can guarantee
> you
> > the mob scene that would occur if they found a
> > tract of industrial land in south
> Arlington/west
> > end Alexandria would be Biblical. It'd be like
> a
> > scene out of Soylent Green.
>
> Well, technically Fairfax is three stories, but we
> know what you mean...

If only there was some sort of 1970's shopping mall in Springfield that looked like a shithole that no one shops at anymore that Wegmans could swoop in and buy the land cheaply to build a store there...of course, since Springfield is now overrun with brown savages who don't eat the white man's food and Wegmans isn't into the whole ethnic scene much, there's clearly no demand left there anymore for that kind of store...

Posted by: Gossol ()
Date: October 26, 2012 12:46PM

It's "you're", you idiot.

Posted by: looks like......... ()
Date: December 06, 2016 08:35PM

Wegmans Jihadist Wrote:
> Greybeard Wrote:
> -----
> > formerhick76 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Yeah, unless Wegmans is open to opening a 3
> > story
> > > grocery store they won't open inside
> > > McLean/Vienna/Springfield. But I can
> guarantee
> > you
> > > the mob scene that would occur if they found
> a
> > > tract of industrial land in south
> > Arlington/west
> > > end Alexandria would be Biblical. It'd be
> like
> > a
> > > scene out of Soylent Green.
> >
> > Well, technically Fairfax is three stories, but
> we
> > know what you mean...
>
> If only there was some sort of 1970's shopping
> mall in Springfield that looked like a shithole
> that no one shops at anymore that Wegmans could
> swoop in and buy the land cheaply to build a store
> there...of course, since Springfield is now
> overrun with brown savages who don't eat the white
> man's food and Wegmans isn't into the whole ethnic
> scene much, there's clearly no demand left there
> anymore for that kind of store...

.....another miz anon post.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.