HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Vienna is becoming a SLUM
Posted by: J. "estera bienvenida" Seeman ()
Date: July 27, 2008 09:11AM

nbc4.com
Police Charge Man In Stabbing At Vienna Inn

POSTED: 11:17 am EDT July 26, 2008
UPDATED: 10:32 pm EDT July 26, 2008

VIENNA, Va. -- Police have arrested a Vienna man accused of stabbing an area restaurant worker.

The 38-year-old victim called 911 about 3 a.m. Saturday, saying he'd been stabbed at the popular Vienna Inn on Va. 123.

The restaurant, a fixture in the area for 50 years, had been closed since midnight, but police said it appears the man was stabbed inside.

Officials found the man bleeding and took him to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he underwent surgery and was in the intensive car unit Saturday.

Police said 21-year-old Jaimea Espinal of Vienna has been charged with aggravated malicious wounding in the incident.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vienna is becoming a SLUM
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 27, 2008 10:00AM

I think Vienna has one of the nicest downtown areas in all of Fairfax county. There's nothing slum-like about it. Anybody who thinks it is dangerous needs to get out of Fairfax county for awhile and see the real world.

Posted by: Bill Sykes ()
Date: July 27, 2008 10:12AM

Jaimea Espinal - The name says it all. The more spics move in the lower the property value and the higher the crime.

Posted by: Mrs. K ()
Date: July 27, 2008 01:32PM

OP,
Allow me to point out the obvious: when you exaggerate in your subject header, people react negatively to your message.

My family and I live in Vienna, and the area is not a slum. However, parts of SE/SW are having problems. There are illegal boarding houses, businesses, and a lot more crime. There are also many more hispanic single males in the area than there have been in the past. It doesn't take a genious to realize they are the source of the crime -- just read the Vienna crime reports.

The truth is they wouldn't be here if the town of Vienna, its citizens and businesses didn't make it so damn comfortable for them to be here.

Posted by: eric56789 ()
Date: July 27, 2008 01:45PM

downtown vienna does look nice...it gives the appearance of a nice upper class town....

however that truth comes out when you look at what is happening in almost all of the middle/lower class apartment complexes in the area. they are all going to hell. large illegal population crammed into small apartments. i would say that overcrowding would be the norm. in addition there are additional quality of life concerns that this brings.

if you only go or only consider downtown vienna you are missing a huge chunk of vienna.

Posted by: Herndonization of Vienna ()
Date: July 27, 2008 01:57PM

The "Hendonization" of Vienna

The Town of Vienna is declining rapidly following Herndon, Sterling, Annandale, Arlington, Fairfax etc. Its run-away illegal immigration fragmenting our community.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: July 27, 2008 02:31PM

Herndonization of Vienna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "Hendonization" of Vienna
>
> The Town of Vienna is declining rapidly following
> Herndon, Sterling, Annandale, Arlington, Fairfax
> etc. Its run-away illegal immigration fragmenting
> our community.

Yup, they have to go somewhere from Prince William county. I've also noticed increased Hispanics in Fairfax City. Prince William is saving millions from the decreased amount of students in their schools, while mainly Fairfax gets to pick them up.

Rh
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: July 27, 2008 03:12PM

h

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 11:57PM by inkahootz.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: July 27, 2008 03:29PM

inkahootz Wrote:
> Mofo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Herndonization of Vienna Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > The "Hendonization" of Vienna
> > >
> > > The Town of Vienna is declining rapidly
> > following
> > > Herndon, Sterling, Annandale, Arlington,
> > Fairfax
> > > etc. Its run-away illegal immigration
> > fragmenting
> > > our community.
> >
> > Yup, they have to go somewhere from Prince
> William
> > county. I've also noticed increased Hispanics
> in
> > Fairfax City. Prince William is saving millions
> > from the decreased amount of students in their
> > schools, while mainly Fairfax gets to pick them
> > up.
>
>
> PWC is not saving anything. Look at the forclosure
> rate and the resulting decrease in property
> values; That coupled with all the latino
> businesses that opened up there that are now going
> belly up, because all the latinos left. If you
> don't think the PWC immigration policy exacerbated
> the county's economic decline, I don't know what
> to tell you.

The verdict is still out on that. One thing is clear, FFX county schools and hospitals will now be more burdened than they once were.

"So what has the county achieved with its effort to intimidate undocumented newcomers by ordering checks on the immigration status of all detainees after arrest and by denying certain social services to illegal immigrants? Without doubt, it has prompted hundreds of Hispanics -- legal and illegal -- to depart the county. Many of them have moved to surrounding jurisdictions, where they are enrolling in public schools and turning to local government services or nonprofits for help. To Mr. Stewart and his allies, this beggar-thy-neighbor policy is a success. In fact, it has simply branded Prince William as the one locality in the Washington area where demagoguery by elected officials has gotten the better of coolheaded public deliberation. "

Posted by: back on subject ()
Date: July 27, 2008 04:52PM

The fact of the matter is my home-town is under siege

Date: July 27, 2008 05:04PM

The PWC policy proves one thing...you can't solve illegal immigration with local government. PWC's policy has been bad for Prince William County (which leads the state in foreclosures and lost tax revenue) and it has been bad for FFX and Loudoun (which are receiving illegal immigrants from PWC).

Whatever your belief is about illegal immigration, one thing is for sure. It can only be dealt with effectively by Congress and the President. Unfortunately, neither have the courage to address it in a meaningful way.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: July 27, 2008 05:12PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> The PWC policy proves one thing...you can't solve
> illegal immigration with local government. PWC's
> policy has been bad for Prince William County
> (which leads the state in foreclosures and lost
> tax revenue) and it has been bad for FFX and
> Loudoun (which are receiving illegal immigrants
> from PWC).
>
> Whatever your belief is about illegal immigration,
> one thing is for sure. It can only be dealt with
> effectively by Congress and the President.
> Unfortunately, neither have the courage to address
> it in a meaningful way.

Agreed. It's a shame we have a president who would rather waste lives and money in Iraq than get together w/ Congress to deal w/ the immigration issue. Don't get me started on Congress, or the Virginia ASSembly either!

Posted by: act now ()
Date: July 27, 2008 05:47PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> The PWC policy proves one thing...you can't solve
> illegal immigration with local government. PWC's
> policy has been bad for Prince William County
> (which leads the state in foreclosures and lost
> tax revenue) and it has been bad for FFX and
> Loudoun (which are receiving illegal immigrants
> from PWC).

PWC suffered because it was past a point of non-return where a significant element of the economy was intimately connected to illegals.

FFX has the chance to act before that becomes the case here.

I'm willing to take the risk of an impact on the FFX economy to sort this out here before the situation gets worse. I don't expect that FFX would see any of the downsides that PWC has seen and substantial benefits.

When the BoS squashes a report it requested on the impact of illegals on the county budget because they're scared of the answer - you know something needs to change

>
> Whatever your belief is about illegal immigration,
> one thing is for sure. It can only be dealt with
> effectively by Congress and the President.
> Unfortunately, neither have the courage to address
> it in a meaningful way.

It has to be done by both federal and local governments - but each must still act if the other fails.

FFX can and must stand up now

Federal government has refused to do its job. Not surprising when the current administration have screwed our foreign policy and screwed our economy so badly. They've taken the world's most powerful economy and turned it into a basket case, they've taken the world's most powerful military and taken it to breaking point fighting an unjustified war, while ignoring one which needs to be won, they've sunk the world's most powerful currency and made it a laughing stock.

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: July 28, 2008 01:44PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I think Vienna has one of the nicest downtown
> areas in all of Fairfax county. There's nothing
> slum-like about it. Anybody who thinks it is
> dangerous needs to get out of Fairfax county for
> awhile and see the real world.

You need to come visit the East side of Vienna, hang out around Cedar Park apartments. Maybe you'll be lucky and witness one of the monthly stabbings that go on there. Maybe you'll be unlucky and be the stabbing victim.

Fact is Vienna used to be one of the most crime-free and family-friendly towns around, and is very quickly turning to total shit. CNN money has always had Vienna on their list of best places to live. This year, they called it "Hunter Mill" which isn't even a town. I could go on a rant about why this is happening, but anybody that knows Vienna knows exactly what's going on, and it isn't racist to point it out.

Date: July 28, 2008 01:58PM

FYI- I go to that shopping plaza regularly, at least once a month. Those apartments look shitty and there are usually some people loitering about, but I have never once felt like I was in danger or like I was in a ghetto. It's nothing like the real ghettos you will find over in PG where I used to live.

I'm not saying it's nice, but calling it a slum is over-exaggerating.

Date: July 28, 2008 02:06PM

The people are packed into those apartments like sardines, which is why they loiter in the shopping center by the dozens, and roam the streets of Vienna. There are often fights, and with that the monthly stabbings. I'm not comparing it to south central, but it's pretty ghetto and has really made a negative mark on Vienna in general.

Date: July 28, 2008 02:10PM

act now Wrote:

>
> PWC suffered because it was past a point of
> non-return where a significant element of the
> economy was intimately connected to illegals.
>

Uhh....do you REALLY believe there are fewer illegal immigrants operating in FFX than in PWC??? Have you spent much time in Annandale or Herndon or Fairfax City or Fair Oaks or Chantilly or Springfield or Franconia or Hybla Valley or Centreville or....

> FFX has the chance to act before that becomes the
> case here.
>

It's already the case.

> I'm willing to take the risk of an impact on the
> FFX economy to sort this out here before the
> situation gets worse. I don't expect that FFX
> would see any of the downsides that PWC has seen
> and substantial benefits.
>

I'm sure if you asked the numbnuts running PWC, they would have said the same thing before the current fiasco.

> When the BoS squashes a report it requested on the
> impact of illegals on the county budget because
> they're scared of the answer - you know something
> needs to change
>
You may be right about that, which makes you wonder about the wisdom of commission ing it in the first place.

> It has to be done by both federal and local
> governments - but each must still act if the other
> fails.
>

Technically, no. ICE should be running the raids, etc. Otherwise you have county jails full of illegal immigrants that you can't do anything with (see Phoenix-area and PWC).

> FFX can and must stand up now
>
> Federal government has refused to do its job.

Agreed.

Not
> surprising when the current administration have
> screwed our foreign policy and screwed our economy
> so badly.

Agreed

They've taken the world's most powerful
> economy and turned it into a basket case,

Actually, it is still the world's most powerful economy. But it won't remain that if we continue to be complacent.

they've
> taken the world's most powerful military and taken
> it to breaking point fighting an unjustified war,
> while ignoring one which needs to be won,

Agreed.

they've
> sunk the world's most powerful currency and made
> it a laughing stock.

Agreed. This is probably the biggest problem the U.S. faces. We used to be the safe haven currency of the world. But Bush has ceded this to the EU because some idiot working in his Administration is a big Milton Friedman fan. When has Milton Friedman actually run an economy? Never.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: July 28, 2008 02:33PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> FYI- I go to that shopping plaza regularly, at
> least once a month. Those apartments look shitty
> and there are usually some people loitering about,
> but I have never once felt like I was in danger or
> like I was in a ghetto. It's nothing like the
> real ghettos you will find over in PG where I used
> to live.
>
> I'm not saying it's nice, but calling it a slum is
> over-exaggerating.

I'd like to know what crime rates were for the Town over the past decade or so. historicvienna.com claims that the Town forgot to send in the (required by the state) reports on this sort of thing.

I lived in South Arlington for eight years before moving to the Town, Vienna is a !@#$ paradise compared to there and the area I grew up in.

Date: July 28, 2008 02:41PM

Yeah, south Arlington near Four Mile Run, now that I'd consider ghetto, and there are places there that I would not feel safe walking around. But Vienna, nawww... it's sort of crappy near Cedar plaza, but the whole area is surrounded by nice, expensive homes and well-to-do people.

Date: July 28, 2008 02:47PM

This is just a week's worth of crap the Vienna PD has to deal with. You wouldn't expect this in an entire town, let alone JUST an apartment complex:

-------

VPD HIGHLIGHTS 7/25/08

9-1-1 Hang- up call- Person with a Gun 08-7113
200 Block Cedar Lane, SE
July 19 7:25 p.m.
Officer Maiorana was dispatched along with other units for a 9-1-1 call in which the caller had hung up before much information could be gathered. The location was determined via an electronic system which identifies the location of an emergency phone call even if no verbal interaction takes place.

Upon his arrival Officer Maiorana located several individuals and began investigating. The investigation revealed that some of the subjects were involved in a verbal confrontation with some individuals that claimed to be members of a gang. Detective Sheeran, a Vienna Police Detective assigned to a regional gang task force, was called and he responded to the scene. Detective Sheeran was able to determine that one of the individuals involved in the confrontation had made gestures which could be construed as implying a weapon. He interviewed all participants in an attempt to gather more information on the individuals involved.

A short time later, a simulated handgun was found in the grass near the Vienna Park Apartments. It is not known at this time if this toy gun was involved in the
aforementioned incident.

Arrests- Assault 08-7127
200 Block Cedar Lane, SE
July 20 3:37 a.m.
PFC Shaver and several other units responded for a 9-1-1 call in which the caller had hung up the phone before any verbal communication took place. The location was determined via a system which enables Vienna Police Dispatchers to locate the origin of emergency phone calls.

After arrival, it was discovered that two individuals were involved in a confrontation inside the El Punto Restaurant. The argument spilled over to the outside when the restaurant closed. It is believed that one victim was assaulted by two others and struck in the head however; several parties were less than cooperative with police. Two subjects appeared intoxicated and were subsequently arrested for Drunk in Public. Both subjects were transported to
the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.

Arrested: Jose Yanez- Matias, 23, of No Fixed Address
Faustino Yanez, 27, of No Fixed Address

Arrests- Drunk in Public and Littering 08-7166
100 Block Patrick Street, SE
July 21 3:28 p.m.
Officer Monaco observed two individuals drinking beer in the open while patrolling the Cedar Lane Shopping Center. The cans were being discarded down a sewer drain behind the shopping center.

When the subjects observed the officer, one of them fled on foot and was apprehended by Officer Monaco after a short foot pursuit.

Both subjects were arrested for Drunk in Public and transported to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center where they were each held on a $750.00 bond.

Arrested: Cruz Guzman 37, of Riverdale Road in Riverdale, MD
Rito Giron Hernandez 35, of Lee Highway in Fairfax, VA

Arrests- Drunk in Public 08-7182
Marshall Road Elementary School
700 Block Marshall Road, SW
July 22 12:35 a.m.
A citizen reported hearing a loud altercation at Marshall Road Elementary School during the night. Officer Simon arrived along with Officer Finelli and they discovered two subjects; one female and one male. They had been arguing loudly and there appeared to have been minor contact and physical damage to clothing.

The two subjects appeared intoxicated and both were arrested for Drunk in Public. They were both transported to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.

Arrested: Jaffer A. Usmani, 28, of Grizzly Court in Manassas, VA
Hira Khan, 22, of Westwood Place in Sterling, VA

Arrest- Domestic Assault 08-7225
200 Block Cedar Lane, SE
July 22 8:42 p.m.
On July 22, 2008 at 8:42 p.m., the Department received a phone call from a 13 year old juvenile female stating that she had been assaulted. Upon arrival officers found the girl at a neighbor’s apartment. She had fled her own apartment after the assault. The girl stated that her mother, 32 year old Aalla Siddig, of Cedar Lane in Vienna had beaten her about both arms and one leg with a coaxial cable wire used in making cable T.V. connections. The beating was in response to the girl not returning home as requested and being generally disobedient. Multiple welts were observed on the girl’s appendages.

Fairfax County Child Protective Services was contacted and they responded to the apartment. The mother was arrested by Officer K. Smith and transported to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center where she was charged with Domestic Assault of a Family Member and held on a $2500.00 bond. An Emergency Protective Order was issued as well. The victim and her siblings were placed in to the care of the mother’s brother in law.

Posted by: Concerned ()
Date: July 28, 2008 02:54PM

There are not illegals "roaming the streets" of Vienna. The shopping center near the apartments where most of the immigrants live has folks in the parking lot looking for day labor, other than that you don't see folks loitering all over Town.

Go to Annandale near Turnpike Shopping Center - the day labor folks line up from the 7-11 at Hummer Rd all the way up to the Gas station near the Annandale Bowling Center. There have been a lot of assaults, abductions, and related problems in Annandale - in Vienna the problems are much more low-key normally even though they have a similar nature.

Even though the apartments are crowded, "ghetto" is the farthest thing from a description that can be used for the area.

Posted by: Mrs. K ()
Date: July 28, 2008 02:58PM

Actually those claims are true: the Vienna Police appear to have broken the law 7 times in the last 9 years. Here's the law:
§ 52-28. Duty of Commonwealth and local agencies to make reports.

All Commonwealth, county and municipal law-enforcement agencies shall submit to the Department all periodic uniform crime reports setting forth their activities in connection with law enforcement. The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to any police agency not paid entirely from public funds.

(1974, c. 577; 1979, c. 83.)

Here's a link to all of the state police reports for the last 9 years:
www.vsp.state.va.us/Crime_in_Virginia.shtm.

2007 - 6 months partial crime stats
2006 - Nothing reported
2005 - Nothing reported
2004 - 3 months partial criminal stats
2003 - Nothing reported
2002 - 4 months partial criminal stats
2001 - Reported full stats to the state
2000 - Reported full stats to the state
1999 - 3 months partial criminal stats

Date: July 28, 2008 02:59PM

>> You wouldn't expect this in an entire town

I don't know about that.... I grew up in a small town up in PA, and this stuff sorta sounds pretty average compared to what goes on up there. Drunken losers getting in fights, domestic violence, douchebag kids acting gangster. Every weekend. Just give poor dumb people some alcohol and it'll happen anywhere.

I actually thought that crime list would be longer!

Posted by: Jefferson Davis ()
Date: July 28, 2008 05:06PM

How’s this for a “work-out” … history is destined to repeat itself. Perhaps it is time in our Town’s history that the southern side rejects the ARROGANCE of our “northern” elected officials and tell them to go-to-hell when SE/SW Vienna succeeds from the union (town). I’d love to see the VTC faces when SE/SW Vienna takes ½ the town's tax revenue away and doesn’t look back. If these people (VTC) are so inept in their absolute basic charge of protecting the citizens they represent then I say we-don’t-need-them-anyway. We’re better off without them and might as well be like McLean or Merrifield or any other unincorporated local in Fairfax County.

The South Shall Rise Again

Posted by: MMMMMMMM ()
Date: July 28, 2008 05:38PM

Conditions in FFC are not going to get better...because no one is doing anything about it. These are old people at the helm doing business....nothing is going to improve until something is done about illegals, crime, poverty,and the undereducated....Get ready in the next five years for your neighborhoods being invaded....it is not getting better....of do not think it is

Posted by: ADIOS VIENNA ()
Date: July 28, 2008 06:21PM

SO LONG AS THESE LIBERALS ARE IN OFFICE AND POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AND OBAMA

ADIOS VIENNA

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: July 28, 2008 07:06PM

ADIOS VIENNA Wrote:
> SO LONG AS THESE LIBERALS ARE IN OFFICE AND
> POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AND OBAMA
>
>
> ADIOS VIENNA

Liberals my ass. You're a moron.

Business owners are mostly conservatives...like the guys that own a string of McDonald's....or meat packing companies....the list is endless. They want these people here because they work cheap. They buy the politicians off so nothing happens.

Those day laborers standing around are the bottom of the barrel and just the tip of the iceberg...most illegals work a regular job(s).

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.