HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Braddock Road Lacrosse
Posted by: www.bryc.org ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:52PM

BRYC offers both recreational and travel lacrosse programs.

Recreational Lacrosse: Boys and Girls K-12th grade

BRYC Recreational ("Rec") Lacrosse is offered to players looking to develop lacrosse skills, play in a competitive environment, and enjoy a weekly local game. BRYC provides players the opportunity to play against BRYC teams and other local club Rec teams. The Rec program includes two practices a week and one game a week on Sunday afternoons in the spring. All coaches are volunteers and are often parents. BRYC encourages parents to volunteer and share the excitement of lacrosse firsthand.

Winter Clinics are offered monthly, December through February. Spring season teams form in February and practices begin in March.

Travel Lacrosse: Currently fielding boys U13 and U15 teams.
(All players must reside in Fairfax County.)

BRYC Travel Lacrosse is offered to players seeking to develop higher level lacrosse skills in a competitive environment. BRYC provides experienced coaches to players with an advanced skill level who seek of participating in travel leagues and tournaments. The travel program requires a greater time commitment from participants for practices and games.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Goo goo ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:55PM

www.brlax.com Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please be aware that there is now another club in
> the Fairfax area that is presenting itself as
> Braddock Road Youth Lacrosse.
>

Would that be Braddock Road Youth Club, which has been around since Eric was in Diapers?

Posted by: no diapers ()
Date: March 18, 2013 05:18PM

Goo goo Wrote:

> Would that be Braddock Road Youth Club, which has
> been around since Eric was in Diapers?

Silly GooGoo! Eric's parent had his anus sewed shut thus why he is so full of shit.

Posted by: Joey Bob ()
Date: March 19, 2013 05:23PM

RE:Well there is FPYC, Annandale B&G Club, and SYC that ALL are great options with great coaches.

Wrong - If you live in Eric's range or if you have played for his cash cow, he won't sign the release to play for other clubs. It is a monopoly.

Posted by: Joe Blow ()
Date: March 19, 2013 05:52PM

Actually, Eric's kids are great coaches. Nothing like him. They never liked or respected him on the field. They also make good money from the family business.

Posted by: Mike M ()
Date: March 20, 2013 09:17AM

I agree. One of Eric's kids was a great coach for my son.

Posted by: Anne M. ()
Date: March 20, 2013 01:50PM

I also agree. Mikie was a great coach for my son. The next year he got a terrible yeller.

Posted by: TBCheers ()
Date: March 20, 2013 06:58PM

Escaped Wrote:
> Burns team dropping down the B league is actually
> good thing for these girls. They have not won a
> game in 3-4 years. Must be a NVYLL record! How
> these girls and parents have endured the screaming
> and yelling and losing every game to boot is
> amazing. They have got the worst of both
> worlds-poor and screaming coach and losing every
> game for years. Dropping down to B at least
> eliminates one of those probemm
>
>
>
BR and Burns was the only team from 78A-full checking to drop to B level. Several teams moved from B to A, but none of last years A teams dropped to B. BR is the only one to go backwards. Like has been said, this will at least stop these girls from going 4 year without a win under the genious Burns, but will ill-prepare them for HS lacrosse

Posted by: AngryRams ()
Date: March 21, 2013 03:13PM

Rising Robinson Freshman boys and the girls have been directly targeted and solitced to play for BAC/BRYC LAX. The reason is to train these players feeding into Robinson's program. A huge majority of these players left BRLL and FPYC to play for BAC/BRYC lax, understandably so with the HS coaches' involvement. Sadly to some people, successful lacrosse equals fancy uniforms and a turf field.

No one is forcing anyone to play for a league or a team that doens't want to do so. There are plenty of youth lacrosse clubs available in the same zip code for players and parents to chose from. In fact, it's confusing. It's no wonder BRLL has not been able to form enough teams. There aren't enough numbers out there interested in playing lacrosse in the Burke area to feed all three clubs with full A,B C teams per grade level.

It's ashame to see these new leagues/clubs bashing coaches from BRLL to gain markeing propaganda. It's slanderous! Congrats on building your lax youth programs based on instilling pressure on the future players feeding into Robinson to play for your club and slamming coaches at BRLL. As a result some kids have completley dropped out of lax due to pressure at school. Real class act making comments about coach's children and their winning or losing seasons. I guess BAC and BRYC Lax is based on good coaching filled with animosity and resentment.

You've built your new clubs, so move on! Parents know what is best for their kids and players will conitue to move around from club to club in the Burke area. What a cluster!

Posted by: Bob L ()
Date: March 21, 2013 04:51PM

Eric blocked my kid from moving to another NVYLL club. This is a fact. Both commissioners need to sign off on the transfer. Get your facts straight.

Posted by: Former Coach ()
Date: March 21, 2013 10:52PM

AngryRams Wrote:
> Rising Robinson Freshman boys and the girls have
> been directly targeted and solitced to play for
> BAC/BRYC LAX. The reason is to train these players
> feeding into Robinson's program. A huge majority
> of these players left BRLL and FPYC to play for
> BAC/BRYC lax, understandably so with the HS
> coaches' involvement.

If it is true as you say that the high school coaches are encouraging the rising ninth grade boys and girls to play for BAC and BRYC, then that's where I would send my kid.

Posted by: Joe T ()
Date: March 22, 2013 04:08PM

I agree

Posted by: laxmom ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:55PM

Braddock Road Lacrosse is reporting solid wins today in all age groups at all skill levels (A, B and C). I wonder how BRYC did in their games?

Posted by: All wins?? ()
Date: March 25, 2013 04:17PM

And the coaches continued to scream at them....

Posted by: You make me laugh ()
Date: March 30, 2013 09:18PM

lax mom....ridiculous!Number one....do you have any idea what the competition is like at nvyll (a,b,or c)? Is it only about winning for you (even if your kid gets screamed at and made to feel like shit?) Do you date one of Eric's kids or are you just an eric supporter/athletic supporter?
You Make me laugh

Posted by: Lax Dad ()
Date: April 09, 2013 11:08AM

The yelling and abuse continues at BR Lax.

Posted by: fauxsport ()
Date: April 09, 2013 11:23AM

Lacrosse is for girls and faggots.

Posted by: Lax Dad ()
Date: April 09, 2013 01:08PM

It takes one to know one.

Posted by: nincompoop ()
Date: April 09, 2013 07:33PM

Ignore fauxfaux. He's obviously an idiot. Probably got cut from his HS's JV team.
Silly nincompoop.

Date: April 09, 2013 08:49PM

Lax Dad Wrote:
> It takes one to know one.

Go ahead Dad, go to the lax game. If you and the other mommies and daddies don't go, there will be NOBODY there.

If I had said football was for girls and faggots, well, that's too ridiculous to even respond to. But a lot of people agree with my assessment of lacrosse and you know the truth too.

Posted by: nincompoop ()
Date: April 09, 2013 10:22PM

What a silly goose, fauxfaux. You are just precious.

Date: April 10, 2013 07:15PM

nincompoop Wrote:
> Ignore fauxfaux. He's obviously an idiot. Probably
> got cut from his HS's JV team.
> Silly nincompoop.

No poop, that's not how it went. I played freshman and JV football. Went out for the varsity in 11th and 12th grades. Got cut (didn't help that it was a powerhouse school). I came to terms with the fact that I wasn't good enough.

What I did not do is go out for a silly fauxsport like lax or soccer. Varsity letters for those "sports" should be pink or something, so they are not confused with letters for legitimate sports.

Posted by: poop ()
Date: April 10, 2013 08:12PM

Fauxfauxboy, your displaced anger is so cute. Kind of sad, but cute.

Posted by: laxlosers ()
Date: April 11, 2013 01:40PM

LAX is for loser unathletic potheads. Play baseball a real sport that actually takes talent besides being a meathead.

Posted by: poopitydoopity ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:16PM

Well...potheads: that is true. Then again, it's equally true in baseball, football, swimming, basketball...shit it's rampant in soccer and even tennis.

Face it girlfriends, its frickin everywhere.

Now, no skill? That's just an idiotic remark.

No fans? Since when is that an athletic requirement? I think you just described every HS sport with the exception of football and maybe basketball.

so if it's such a useless effort (lacrosse), what's with the defamation campaign? Did your daughter run off with a dopeheaded laxbro'? Shit dude. If my daughter was getting it high and hard from a lacrosse player, I guess I'd be a hater too.

or was it your wife?

don't worry about it brosuff, even fat chicks need some lovin...

Posted by: you're kidding me ()
Date: April 18, 2013 12:01PM

Come on girls knock it off.there is no value to your ridiculous comments.

Posted by: Summer fun ()
Date: June 12, 2013 10:53AM

Not sure how everyone else enjoyed their spring season. But our son had a great experience with BRYC. And they are putting on a game only league this summer. So check it out. All games will be at either Robinson or Wakefield. Helps me know where I need to get kids too before signing up for a summer program.

Posted by: Happy Dad ()
Date: July 16, 2013 09:34PM

My son was in BRLAX U15 past spring season and had really good/fun/learning season. Kids and parents were great and it was a plus to have a winning season. BRLAX do have good solid program with good coaches to match. I guess BRYC or BRLAX is just neighborly feud and its’ up to the parents and player to decide. I would prefer established organization like BRLAX or Annandale before taking a risk with a new comer BRYC.

Posted by: RTF ()
Date: July 16, 2013 09:49PM

Good post Eric - guess you are short of revenue again so need to make this appeal for BRLAX? Everyone knows you personally pocket all proceeds, about six figures per year for what many of us former coaches calculated.

BRLAX is the *ONLY* club in the NVYLL with such an arrangement - I hope those parents still in that Ponzi scheme are happy contributing to the Soloman Retirement Fund! My kids won't be there!

Posted by: BRYC Dad ()
Date: July 16, 2013 09:59PM

Happy Dad Wrote:
> My son was in BRLAX U15 past spring season and had
> really good/fun/learning season. Kids and parents
> were great and it was a plus to have a winning
> season. BRLAX do have good solid program with good
> coaches to match. I guess BRYC or BRLAX is just
> neighborly feud and its’ up to the parents and
> player to decide. I would prefer established
> organization like BRLAX or Annandale before taking
> a risk with a new comer BRYC.

Fully agree. Both clubs have their pluses. That BRYC ended up with over 200 players in their first season was a surprise. BRYC has the resources of a 20+ member board of directors, 4000+ players across multiple sports, a million dollar budget, six turf fields, administrative support, and a positive coaching requirement to build their program the way they want. They have told us repeatedly that they do not see BRLax or NVLL as their enemies - they want to build the BRYC Lax program to be the best it can be for the players. From the first season of clinics, training, and games, I believe they are on the right path.

Posted by: Soo ()
Date: July 30, 2013 09:27AM

I just want to share that the BRYC Lacrosse program sucks A**. For real. The people who run the program are a bunch of catty men. They sit around and bitch all day long. After experiencing blatant racism against my son who played soccer led by my husband on an all-star team for many years, a volunteer position, by the way, my son was kicked off the "recreational" team because it was his first season, and they were building an "A" Team. Nothing stating that was ever posted on the BRYC site. EVER. In February of 2013, after overhearing a group of boys shout racial epithets at my son (who is not a crybaby, has played hockey for 6 years, could kick anyone of these sucker's butts) who spent an hour really upset about being called derogatory Asian epithets, I shot an email to the president of BRYC:

Dear Mr. Merkel and Mr. Sloan,

I am writing you in an attempt to understand exactly what BRYC's coaching policies are. My husband and I enrolled our son in the BRYC Boys' RECREATIONAL Lacrosse Program for this Spring season. Although my son has played soccer for BRYC for seven consecutive years, and my husband coached his team for many years, even taking them to All Stars several times (finalists), I persuaded my son to try something new, against his objection. I genuinely thought that although he has never played lacrosse before, his years of hockey and soccer experience/training would help.

I received an unsettling email from Coach Sloan yesterday afternoon (below), and after thinking about the situation, I decided that something didn't quite add up. Not only is my son now unable to enroll in BRYC soccer with my husband as a volunteer coach, but he's missed out on enrolling for Spring hockey, too. I would never, ever have signed him up if I had known that coaches would be allowed to "handpick" registrants for a RECREATIONAL team. Based on your advertising on your website, which I've copied below, BRYC clearly states that Recreational Lacrosse is for players looking to develop lacrosse skills. There is no disclaimer stating that Recreational Lacrosse was for skilled players only. Furthermore, the proceeding paragraph describes BRYC's Travel Lacrosse program and states it's limited to competitive lacrosse and those aged 13 and 15. My son is TEN.

My husband, a competitive soccer player, worked with children of all developmental and experience levels, and from what I understand, it was his job to work with all of his players to help them understand the game, unless he coached a travel team. During many seasons, he worked with children that had never played soccer before but ended up training them so well that he took them to ALL STARS and encouraged each one to try out for the Travel Program. He stated that he neither had the authority nor the discretion to "handpick" players in an effort to "stack" his team with only experienced players, and further, he believed that it went against BRYC's mission statement, the coaching policies and the organization's policies. If these are the guidelines that BRYC endorses, how on earth is Coach Sloan able to handpick his players and ask our son to leave his team? Isn't it within the purview and duties of a recreational coach to help his/her players develop adequate playing skills? What on earth is an "A" team for a recreational program?

Another thing I wanted to point out is that from what my husband observed during practice, several players decided to gang up against our son and yell at him, even calling him degrading names for not playing as well as them. Coach Sloan was in absolute earshot of these offensive remarks and did nothing. This is absolutely inappropriate, and I will certainly let other parents know what occurred if I don't receive a proper explanation for these issues. Our son does not cry, but that day, he came home with tears in his eyes from practice. As his parents, we cannot standby and condone this type of behavior, and we have an affirmative duty to make sure it's on the record and doesn't continue.

BRYC Lacrosse

BRYC offers both recreational and travel lacrosse programs.
Recreational Lacrosse: Boys and Girls K-12th grade
BRYC Recreational ("Rec") Lacrosse is offered to players looking to develop lacrosse skills, play in a competitive environment, and enjoy a weekly local game. BRYC provides players the opportunity to play against BRYC teams and other local club Rec teams. The Rec program includes two practices a week and one game a week on Sunday afternoons in the spring. All coaches are volunteers and are often parents. BRYC encourages parents to volunteer and share the excitement of lacrosse firsthand.

Winter Clinics are offered monthly, December through February. Spring season teams form in February and practices begin in March.
Travel Lacrosse: Currently fielding boys U13 and U15 teams.
(All players must reside in Fairfax County.)
BRYC Travel Lacrosse is offered to players seeking to develop higher level lacrosse skills in a competitive envinronment. BRYC provides experienced coaches to players with an advanced skill level who seek of participating in travel leagues and tournaments. The travel program requires a greater time commitment from participants for practices and games.

BRYC's lovely response:

Steve Bergstrom
Wed 2/27/2013 3:49 PM
Inbox

While I'm sorry about your son's experience, your lack of compassion towards the good intentions and good works of these very dedicated men, volunteering their time for the betterment of our youth is appalling.

Your email is completely self centered and goes beyond reasonable discourse. Shame on you for impeaching so many good people volunteering their time to a boys and girls club.

Quite frankly I don't want to associate with mean people like you.

Sent from my iPhone

Nevermind that my husband coached for years for this team volunteering his time to help children develop and nurture their love for soccer. This guy has anger issues, and he needs to get his iPhone taken away from him. Who has this much lack of self-control? He's coaching our kids!?

After being promised a refund, it's now almost August, and I have yet to receive one. I will tell you that the clucking hens (men, by the way) at BRYC inadvertently copied my husband on an email stating that the only way to get rid of the "nuisance" (me, for bringing this crap to their attention) was to finally issue a refund. Never mind the crap we endured or the mindless dribble coming from the coaches and the kids they were coaching, we were the nuisance.

Non-profit my ass.

Sorry, but the lacrosse coaches in general, have proven to be untrained, unprofessional jerks. The fact that these guys are on the board, too, is reprehensible.

Posted by: Laxporn ()
Date: July 30, 2013 09:50AM

Is Cabell Maddux running BRYC? Doesn't this email from Bergstrom sound like a familiar response from a cocky coach? What a dickhead.

Great post by they way, thank you for sharing your experiences with BRYC.

Running a non-profit program like this in Burke of all places, and allowing racial epitaphs towards asians is a recipe for disaster. Again, what a dickhead.

Posted by: Soo ()
Date: July 31, 2013 07:49PM

UPDATE

John Davis is the bomb. The other guys suck.

Email from
BRYC dated today:

Your refund was mailed. Also, Doug Kash resigned as Lacrosse Commissioner. They are not in season right now so we have some time to address the issues.

There is some justice.

Posted by: Random ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:56PM

What the hell is wrong with lax coaches in the Braddock Road area? My spouse coaches in another town but has had to deal with the BRLAX guy for years. I've heard nothing but bad things about BRLAX over the years from my spouse and from coaches and commissioners all over Northern VA that I've come to know. Now it sounds like this new league is being a bunch a douchebags too. This is really sad for the kids.

Posted by: laxduck ()
Date: February 26, 2014 01:28PM

So what's the latest on the BRYC and Braddock Road Lacrosse debacle? Where are most kids playing? The old Braddock Road with Solomon or the new BRYC? Did BRYC ever make into the local "normal" league playing other local youth team?

Posted by: Lacrosse ()
Date: March 16, 2014 09:35AM

If your kid wants to play at the high school public level he needs to be easy for hard coaching

Posted by: Joe Crane ()
Date: March 16, 2014 09:38AM

if your kid wants to play high school he Bette be ready for hard coaching

Posted by: Grab the Popcorn ()
Date: March 16, 2014 10:08AM

Love these helicopter parents trashing a program which if luck may produce one d1 lax player per year. Keep it up parents and bush league coaches - love reading it!

Posted by: BullyCouncil ()
Date: March 29, 2014 04:10PM

Who's the big short bully guy who often runs the score board? What is his name?

Posted by: LookingforLax ()
Date: September 03, 2015 08:01AM

Can anyone give any updated info on the best Lax programs in the area?

Posted by: lax ()
Date: November 24, 2015 09:16PM

Steer clear of the girls LAX coach at FCHS. Maybe not coming back

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.