HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Uncle Julios or Guapos
Posted by: well ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:01PM

Thinking of going out to eat tomorrow, which place do you think is better? Yes I know neither place is authentic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uncle Julios or Guapos
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:21PM

Never been to Guapos, but I think Uncle Julios is overpriced. It's just generic chain tex mex and shouldn't cost what it does.

Posted by: BMW ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:22PM

Guapos is #1
Get the acapulco steak

Posted by: DCFUD.com ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:42PM

Uncle Julios AKA Rio Grande is a chain, and while it is not great, I'm ok with their enchiladas if I have to eat there. Personally, I'd rather go for tacos in Arlingotn at Taqueria El Charrito or the El Chilango truck in Rosslyn. El Pablano in Arlington is good too. Or Taqueria Distrito Federal in DC.

I have not been to Guapos. I have been to Guarapos. LOL.

-JAY
www.dcfud.com

Posted by: stui ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:18PM

Guapos at fair lakes is very good mexican food. I have never been to uncle julios but Guapos is really good food. Where is uncle julios?

Posted by: EitherOne ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:27PM

Both Guapos and Uncle Julios are good. Guapos is very good, in fact. I've patronized the Bethesda and Shirlington locations many times.

There are also restaurants named "Guarapo" and "Guarapos" in the metro area but I've never been to them.

Also, I don't think that a place is a chain is relevant to the question. If its good, its good.

Posted by: yourmom ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:38PM

I like both. Just go with whatever is more convenient. For what it's worth, Uncle Julio's doesn't do burritos (which is blasphemous if you ask me).

Posted by: yourmom ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:38PM

I like both. Just go with whatever is more convenient. For what it's worth, Uncle Julio's doesn't do burritos (which is blasphemous if you ask me).

Posted by: compu ()
Date: February 16, 2013 11:47PM

Guapos is fantastic. Just be prepared for a big tab if you get drinks, but they are strong and tasty so it's not so bad. The salmon is my favorite thing on the menu, but everything is fantastic.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: February 17, 2013 10:09AM

Check out Pollo Inka in El-Herndon. Great chicken and AMAZING-AMAZING salsa. Buy a pint to bring home with you.

Posted by: well ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:58PM

I went to Guapos, thanks for the suggestions. It was busy in there but service was great. The food was the usual chain Mexican, I am in a salt coma, but it was good. I don't normally order burritos but good to know that Uncle Julio's doesn't make them, that is weird. Stui, the Uncle Julio's I have been to is in Fairfax Corner with Ozzy's and Coastal Flats.

Posted by: Thucydides ()
Date: February 17, 2013 09:43PM

I would not call Guapos a chain - at least like Uncle Julio's.

Guapos is a local, family owned and operated restaurant chain. From Tenleytown to Shirlington and now out to Fair Lakes and a couple of other locations, they have built a good following and seem to have spread farther of as their original clientele has moved out from the city.

Is there anything really unique? Not really, but you can get good tex-mex with good margaritas - all with good service.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 17, 2013 10:28PM

Joe B. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Check out Pollo Inka in El-Herndon.

Been going there since the 90s, that place makes the best lomo saltado I've had around here, and I agree with your salsa comment. There's like shredded carrot or some other kind of root vegetable in there, it's unique and delicious.

Guapo's and Uncle Julio's are about the same in my book. Good tex-mex fare. Uncle Julio's in Ballston whips up some great enchilada dishes.

Posted by: Anneal ()
Date: February 17, 2013 11:12PM

I've been to Guapos many times and it seems that about 75 percent of the customers are Latino so that leads me to believe they consider it to be "authentic."

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.